Xbox One is more than just a gaming console. I have always been partial towards PC gaming, but I still have an Xbox One lying around… for video streaming purposes, of course.
But the perennial problem of geo-restrictions affects all devices, even gaming consoles.
A VPN for Xbox One can easily solve this problem and there are some simple setup installation methods to achieve this task.
So, in this article, I will explain easy installation methods for Xbox One VPN and provide mini-reviews for 5 VPN services that can unlock the full capabilities of your console.
The Need for a VPN on Xbox One
The Xbox is a very useful console that serves as the gateway to a lot of online services you can utilize for entertainment.
This includes streaming or simply browsing the web. In both cases, the ability to bypass geo-restrictions comes in real handy, because the internet should be accessible to everyone irrespective of where you happen to be located.
A VPN, by spoofing your location, allows you to access restricted websites on your Xbox.
For instance, some movies and TV shows are only available in the US Netflix, even though you are paying the full price for the subscription in your region but getting only half the number of titles.
You just need to turn on a VPN and connect to a US server to gain access to the largest Netflix library irrespective of your actual location.
Online privacy is another problem that affects us all irrespective of what device you are using to connect to the web.
The encryption, IP-masking, and offshore jurisdictions of leading VPNs work together to enhance the privacy of users.
Finally, DDoS attacks frequently target online gamers. Since DDoS attacks primarily work by targeting IP addresses of users, VPNs protect your from these exploits by changing your IP as it is visible to the rest of the world, so you can game on Xbox One without getting forced into a malicious botnet.
The reasons, therefore, of using a VPN for Xbox One are more than one. So how can you start by setting one up?
Let’s find out below:
How to Install VPN on Xbox One
Xbox One does not have native support for VPNs. As a result, you can only rely on indirect methods such as sharing a VPN connection with your computer or connecting your Xbox One to a VPN-enabled router.
Share Windows PC VPN Connection with Xbox One:
First, you need to make sure that your PC has a VPN installed in it. Download and install one if you don’t already have one (see recommendations for a VPN below).
When you’re done with that, turn on your VPN by connecting to a suitable server and you are ready to share a connection with your Xbox console.
- Connect Ethernet cable between your VPN-enabled PC and Xbox One
- On the start menu, search Run > Type cpl. This will open Network Connection settings
- You should see a few Ethernet connections here. Right-click the one associated with your VPN and click Properties
- Selecting Sharing tab > Check the box against “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box.
- Now Click on Select a private network connection box
- Select your Xbox One Ethernet connection > Press OK
- On your Xbox One controller, press the Xbox button
- Press the RB button thrice
- Select Settings > Network tab > Network settings > Test network connection
Leave the VPN running your Windows PC to keep your Xbox One connected to a VPN for the duration of your whole session.
Share Mac VPN Connection with Xbox One:
To start with, make sure you have a VPN installed and running on our Mac. From there, follow the steps below to share the connection on Mac.
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your Mac and Xbox One
- Navigate to System Preferences > Sharing and click on Internet Sharing from the list on the left of the screen
- Click Wi-Fi from the share your connection from the drop-down
- In the “To computers using” list, make sure to select Ethernet (if you are connected to the Internet on your Mac via Ethernet, you should share your connection using Wi-Fi instead)
- Check the box next to Internet Sharing on the list to share the VPN connection between your Mac and Xbox One. The icon will turn green if successfully enabled.
- Follow steps 6 to 9 the same way as above to successfully connect Xbox One to a VPN
Setting up Xbox One Router
Routers can be configured to work over a VPN, but only some router firmware and manufacturers support this.
Check out our blog on VPN routers for more information including setup tutorials.
After setting up a VPN, simply connect your Xbox One via a wired or wireless configuration to your router, and enjoy the high security and privacy of a VPN while you enjoy video games, streaming, etc. with maximum online safety.
Best VPN for Xbox One
A service, to qualify as the best VPN for video game consoles like Xbox One must have a server infrastructure and flexibility to work efficiently on the device without compromising on privacy or security in any way.
The following VPNs seem to do this job exceptionally well, making them ideal for Xbox One:
1. ExpressVPN for Xbox One
ExpressVPN is one of the few VPNs that supports a vast array of devices, including routers. Users that want to connect their Xbox One to a VPN via router will find ExpressVPN an excellent choice.
Although ExpressVPN does not advertise DDoS protection, its strong encryption and networking technology is adequate to keep you safe from hackers hell-bent on ruining your online gaming experience.
With 3,000+ servers spread over 94 countries, this VPN will not only help you access restricted Xbox One gaming servers but also grant passage to geo-restricted streaming services.
- Fast server speeds
- Military-grade encryption
- 3,000+ servers in 94 locations
- Supports a wide variety of devices
- 3 simultaneous connections
Find out more about this VPN in our ExpressVPN review.
2. Surfshark for Xbox One
Surfshark is right up there with established leaders of the VPN industry owing to its excellent security features and core capabilities for enhancing the overall security of your Xbox gaming console.
The VPN provides 1,000+ servers in 50 countries and has a no logging policy to protect your privacy while you enjoy video games.
The servers of Surfshark are by default optimized for functions like streaming and gaming, and its geo-unblocking capabilities will unlock the full capabilities of your Xbox One by letting you access everything unavailable on the regular web.
- 1,000+ servers
- No logging policy
- Extra features such as MultiHop and WhiteLister
- AES-256 encryption
- Limited server network
Explore the features of this VPN service in our detailed SurfShark review.
3. NordVPN for Xbox One
NordVPN, like ExpressVPN, supports a variety of routers which users can take advantage of to keep their Xbox One always protected as soon as they connect to their VPN-enabled router.
The 5,000+ servers across 62 countries facilitate easy connection to your favorite gaming servers with no obstacles in between.
NordVPN is also quite popular for its fast speeds that enable high-quality videos on streaming services like Netflix.
Thus, you can truly turn your Xbox into a complete home entertainment system with NordVPN running in the background.
The VPN also has a dedicated DDoS protection feature to ward off the attempts of hackers to spoil your Xbox gaming sessions with pesky attacks.
- Provides 5100+ servers spread across 61 countries worldwide
- Follows zero-logging policy
- Double VPN encryption delivers excellent security
- Supports a wide array of devices
- Double encryption feature might affect Internet speed
Read our NordVPN review to find out more about this provider.
4. PureVPN for Xbox One
PureVPN is another great option as a solid Xbox One VPN, owing to its strong all-around protection for gamers, including a DDoS shield.
The expansive server coverage of this VPN in over 140 countries means that you can unblock almost every website or online service with this service.
So, if you use your Xbox One to stream videos or perform any tasks that require privacy, PureVPN is the go-to service for this job
- Offers 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries
- Uses strong 256-bit encryption
- DDoS protection
- Occasional connectivity issues
Learn more about this service on our PureVPN review.
5. CyberGhost for Xbox One
CyberGhost is another popular VPN that delivers just the right set of features to guarantee your online privacy and breaking down barriers to Internet access.
With 3,000+ servers covering 60+ countries and 7 simultaneous connections, CyberGhost can tunnel your Xbox One traffic through its encrypted network, halting any hackers coming towards you on their tracks.
Although it doesn’t always deliver the high speeds to enable lag-free gaming, it is sufficiently fast to enable streaming on the Xbox at reasonable quality.
For this reason, CyberGhost deserves a place among the best VPN for Xbox One.
- Provides dedicated servers for streaming and P2P networking
- Supports 7 simultaneous logins
- Strong IP leak protection
- Average speeds
Explore the features of this VPN service in our detailed CyberGhost review.
Changing the Region on Xbox One
Some apps for Xbox One can’t be downloaded unless your region is configured to the correct region. You will first need to change your region to gain access to apps only available within certain regions.
This is how you can do it:
- Start your Xbox One console
- Select My Games and Apps from the Xbox Home Screen.
- Navigate to Apps -> Settings
- Select System -> Language & Location
- From Location choose USA if you want to download the Xbox app exclusively available in the USA (or another region depending on app availability)
- Restart your Xbox console, connect to a VPN-enabled connection using the same server as the region your Xbox is configured to
- Now search for the app you need, and download it on Xbox One
VPN for Xbox One on Reddit
A glimpse at Xbox One subreddit shows that gamers are actively seeking VPN services for Xbox One. Mostly, users have shown concern over setting up a VPN for their Xbox One. Although Xbox One does not directly support VPN services, it is possible to share a VPN protected Internet with a PC on your Xbox One.
Wrapping Things Up
The online gaming industry is expanding at a rapid pace with more users joining the community every day.
In order to enjoy online gaming at its fullest and keep your privacy protected while also keeping you secure from DDoS, you need the service of best VPN for Xbox One.
We hope this guide will help you choose the right VPN. Leave a comment below if there’s something you would like to share regarding online gaming through an Xbox One VPN.