Xbox One is more than just a gaming console. Even though I’ve always been partial towards PC gaming, but I still have an Xbox One lying around… for occasional gaming and video streaming purposes, of course.
sounds like the perfect setup right?
Well, not quite. You see…the perennial problem of geo-restrictions affects all devices, even gaming consoles. And in order to bypass geo-blocks, you obviously need to install a VPN.
More specifically, a VPN for Xbox One can easily solve this annoying problem. But it is easier said than done. It is not all that easy to use VPN on Xbox One.
So on that note, I will explain easy installation methods for Xbox One VPN that will help you not only stream your favorite content, but also download geo-restricted games for your Xbox console.
The Need for a VPN on Xbox One
Xbox is without a doubt an extremely powerful and versatile gaming console. But despite that, it is pretty much useless if you can’t download games or stream movies on it.
For instance, some movies and TV shows are only available in the US Netflix only. Even though you are paying the full price for the subscription in your region, you’re getting only half the number of titles.
Similarly, there are tons of popular games that might not be available in your region.
Sounds frustrating right?
Don’t worry, you just need to get yourself a reliable VPN and connect to a server of your choice to gain access to pretty much any geo-restricted content imaginable.
Online privacy is another problem that affects us all irrespective of what device you are using to connect to the web.
The encryption, IP-masking, and offshore jurisdictions of leading VPNs work together to enhance the privacy of users.
Finally, an Xbox One VPN can help protect you from DDoS attacks. By changing your IP, you can stream and play awesome games on your Xbox One without encountering malicious botnets.
The reasons therefore of using a VPN for Xbox One are more than one.
Let’s check out some super simple Xbox VPN setup tutorials below:
How to Install VPN on Xbox One
Xbox One does not have native support for VPNs. There is no Xbox One VPN app available.
Now I know what you’re thinking, how to get a VPN on Xbox One when there’s no support for it?
Well, you’ll have to rely on indirect methods such as sharing a VPN connection with your computer or connecting your Xbox One to a VPN-enabled router.
Note: Even if you own an older Xbox, the setup process for Xbox 360 VPN and Xbox One VPN is almost exactly the same.
Share Windows PC VPN Connection with Xbox One:
First, you need to make sure that your PC has a VPN installed in it. Download and install one if you don’t already have one.
When you’re done with that, turn on your VPN by connecting to a suitable server and you are ready to share an Xbox One VPN connection.
- Connect Ethernet cable between your VPN-enabled PC and Xbox One
- On the start menu, search Run > Type cpl. This will open Network Connection settings
- You should see a few Ethernet connections here. Right-click the one associated with your VPN and click Properties
- Selecting Sharing tab > Check the box against “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box.
- Now Click on Select a private network connection box
- Select your Xbox One Ethernet connection > Press OK
- On your Xbox One controller, press the Xbox button
- Press the RB button thrice
- Select Settings > Network tab > Network settings > Test network connection
Leave the VPN running on your Windows PC to keep your Xbox One connected to a VPN for the duration of your whole session.
That’s it, this is how simple Xbox one VPN setup really is.
Share Mac VPN Connection with Xbox One:
Now that we’re done with the Windows setup, let’s check out how to setup VPN on Xbox One, shall we?
To connect Xbox to VPN, make sure you have a VPN installed and running on our Mac. From there, follow the steps below to lend a connection from your Mac to your Xbox.
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your Mac and Xbox One
- Navigate to System Preferences > Sharing and click on Internet Sharing from the list on the left of the screen
- Click Wi-Fi from the share your connection from the drop-down
- In the “To computers using” list, make sure to select Ethernet (if you are connected to the Internet on your Mac via Ethernet, you should share your connection using Wi-Fi instead)
- Check the box next to Internet Sharing on the list to share the VPN connection between your Mac and Xbox One. The icon will turn green if successfully enabled.
- Follow steps 6 to 9 the same way as above to successfully connect Xbox One to a VPN
Setting up Xbox One Router
Routers can be configured to work over a VPN, but only some router firmware and manufacturers support this.
Check out our blog on VPN routers for more information including setup tutorials.
After setting up a VPN, simply connect your Xbox One via a wired or wireless configuration to your router, and enjoy the high security and privacy of a VPN while you enjoy video games, streaming, etc. with maximum online safety.
Changing the Region on Xbox One
Some apps for Xbox One can’t be downloaded unless your region is configured to the correct region. You will first need to change your region to gain access to apps only available within certain regions.
This is how you can do it:
- Start your Xbox One console
- Select My Games and Apps from the Xbox Home Screen.
- Navigate to Apps -> Settings
- Select System -> Language & Location
- From Location choose USA if you want to download the Xbox app exclusively available in the USA (or another region depending on app availability)
- Restart your Xbox console, connect to a VPN-enabled connection using the same server as the region your Xbox is configured to
- Now search for the app you need, and download it on Xbox One
VPN for Xbox One on Reddit
A glimpse at Xbox One subreddit shows that gamers are actively seeking VPN services for Xbox One. Mostly, users have shown concern over setting up a VPN for their Xbox One.
Although Xbox One does not directly support VPN services, it is possible to share a VPN protected Internet with a PC on your Xbox One.
Also check this list of best VPNs on Reddit.
Wrapping Things Up
Nowadays, gaming consoles are not only limited to just playing games. With gaming consoles like Ps4 and Xbox One now supporting 4K output, you can even stream ultra HD movies.
But there’s just one thing, a lot of the popular gaming titles and movies are often geo-restricted.
In order to unleash the full potential of your console and keep your privacy protected, you need to opt for the best Xbox OneVPN.
Also, here are some more VPNs for gaming that you’d really like.