Xbox One is more than just a gaming console. Even though I’ve always been partial towards PC gaming, but I still have an Xbox One lying around for occasional gaming and video streaming purposes.
However, the perennial problem of Geo-restrictions affects all devices, even gaming consoles. And in order to bypass Geo-blocks, you obviously need to install a VPN on Xbox One.
In this article, I shall explain easy installation methods to set up a VPN on your Xbox that will help you not only stream your favorite content, but also download Geo-restricted games on your Xbox console.
Here is a list of the best VPN for Xbox One in 2020:
- PureVPN: Powerful Xbox One VPN with fast servers and low latency.
- NordVPN: Popular choice for Xbox One and PS4. Offers 5200+ Servers worldwide.
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly VPN for Xbox Live with strong privacy features.
- ExpressVPN: Expensive but all-around strong VPN for Xbox consoles.
You can go for PureVPN as the best OpenVPN service for Xbox One which is also well-equipped VPN for gaming purposes.
Now let’s check out some super simple ways for using VPN on Xbox One:
How to Install VPN on Xbox One
5 Minutes Review time
Gaming with a VPN becomes necessary when you are facing issues serious lag issues on your normal internet connection. Sometimes, it’s possible that your ISP is throttling your connection for online gaming.
This is where a VPN comes in quite handy. Unfortunately, Xbox does not have native support for VPNs and there are no VPN apps available for the console. Now I know what you’re thinking, how to use a VPN on Xbox One when there’s no support for it?
Well, you’ll have to rely on indirect methods such as sharing a VPN connection with your computer or connecting your Xbox One Setup to a VPN-enabled router that can be done in just 5 minutes.
Note: The setup processes for Xbox 360 VPNs, Xbox Live VPN and Xbox One VPN are almost identical.
Share Windows PC VPN Connection with Xbox One:
To connect your Xbox One to VPN, you need to first make sure that your PC has a VPN installed in it. Subscribe to one if you don’t already have one.
When you’re done with that, turn on your VPN by connecting to a suitable server and you are ready to share an Xbox One VPN connection.
That’s it! This is how simple Xbox one VPN setup really is to make gaming more secure and unblock geo-restricted services.
Share Mac VPN Connection with Xbox One:
The Xbox One VPN setup for Mac is similar to that of Windows and not that difficult to do.
To connect VPN Xbox One, make sure you have a VPN installed and running on our Mac. From there, follow the steps below to lend a connection from your Mac to your Xbox.
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your Mac and Xbox.
- Navigate to System Preferences > Sharing and click on Internet Sharing from the list on the left of the screen.
- Click Wi-Fi from the share your connection from the drop-down.
- In the “To computers using” list, make sure to select Ethernet (if you are connected to the Internet on your Mac via Ethernet, you should share your connection using Wi-Fi instead).
- Check the box next to Internet Sharing on the list to share the VPN connection between your Mac and Xbox One. The icon will turn green if successfully enabled.
- Follow steps 6 to 9 the same way as above to successfully connect Xbox to a VPN.
Setting up Xbox One Router
Routers can be configured to work over a VPN, but only some router firmware and manufacturers support this.
Check out our blog on VPN routers for more information including setup tutorials.
After setting up a VPN, simply connect your Xbox One via a wired or wireless configuration to your router, and enjoy the high security and privacy of a VPN while you enjoy video games, streaming, etc. with maximum online safety.
Changing the Region on Xbox One
Some apps for Xbox One can’t be downloaded unless your region is configured to the correct region. You will first need to change your region to gain access to apps only available within certain regions.
This is how you can do it:
- Start your Xbox One console
- Select My Games and Apps from the Xbox Home Screen.
- Navigate to Apps -> Settings
- Select System -> Language & Location
- From Location choose USA if you want to download your desired app exclusively available in the USA (or another region depending on app availability)
- Restart your Xbox console, connect to a VPN-enabled connection using the same server as the region your Xbox is configured to
- Now search for the app you need, and download it on Xbox One
Why do you need a VPN for your Xbox One?
Xbox is without a doubt an extremely powerful and versatile gaming console. But despite that, it is pretty much useless if you can’t download games or stream movies on it.
For instance, some movies and TV shows are only available in the US Netflix only. Even though you are paying the full price for the subscription in your region, you’re getting only half the number of titles.
Similarly, there are tons of popular games that might not be available in your region.
Sounds frustrating right?
Don’t worry, you just need to get yourself a reliable VPN and connect to a server of your choice to gain access to pretty much any geo-restricted content imaginable.
Online privacy is another problem that affects us all irrespective of what device you are using to connect to the web.
The encryption, IP-masking, and offshore jurisdictions of leading VPNs work together to enhance the privacy of users.
Finally, Xbox One VPNs can help protect you from DDoS attacks. By changing your IP, you can stream and play awesome games on your Xbox One without encountering malicious botnets.
How to Choose the Best VPNs for Xbox One
There are some features that are essential in a VPN if you want to use it for gaming:
- Speed: Online gaming is a very speed-sensitive task. A slight fluctuation in speed can cost you a hard-fought battle that you deserved to win. This is why you should only choose a gaming VPN with fast speeds.
- Server network: This is related to the above factor, because VPNs with large server networks are usually fast, since their infrastructure avoids server overcrowding by allowing users to be more spread out across the network.
- Extra security features: Since DDoS threats are pretty common on gaming serves, it would be a bonus if you are using a VPN with DDoS protection capabilities, such as Surfshark.
VPN Xbox One Reddit Reviews
A glimpse at reddit shows that gamers are actively seeking VPN services for Xbox One. For instance, the following user pointed how a PC/laptop can be easily used share your internet connection with your console:
Also check this list of best VPNs on Reddit.
Wrapping Things Up
Nowadays, gaming consoles are not only limited to just playing games. With gaming consoles like Ps4 and Xbox One now supporting 4K output, you can even stream ultra HD movies.
But there’s just one thing, a lot of the popular gaming titles and movies are often geo-restricted. In order to unleash the full potential of your console and keep your privacy protected, you’ll need to opt for one of the best Xbox One VPNs, as described above.
So use a VPN and defeat all kinds of geo-restrictions from anywhere in the world!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?