Does NordVPN work on Xbox one?
Enjoy complete access to online games, shows, movies, and stores with NordVPN - Three easy steps to secure your Xbox with NordVPN and enhance your gaming experience
You can easily set up NordVPN on all of your Xbox iterations, including Xbox Series X, S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. With the NordVPN installation on your Xbox, not only will your device be secured against cyberattacks, but you can enhance your online gaming experience in different ways.
NordVPN can prove itself a valuable asset for achieving lower multiplayer gaming latency with its fast speed under the right conditions. Just check out our NordVPN speed test guide to get an idea of how fast this VPN is. It can also be used to obtain access to geographically restricted streaming content such as Disney+ with NordVPN, online games, apps, or any website.
To access Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with NordVPN, check out these articles:
Overcoming bandwidth throttling, smooth browsing, and streaming experience on Xbox consoles are a few of the popular reasons behind using NordVPN on Xbox. Check out our NordVPN review to learn more and the best VPN services in 2022.
This article will show you how to set up NordVPN on your Xbox using three different methods.
How to set up NordVPN on Xbox
Although NordVPN doesn’t offer an application for Xbox, there are still few ways to use NordVPN on the Xbox. Here are the three different methods for setting up NordVPN on your Xbox.
- NordVPN on Xbox – set up via Mac
- NordVPN on Xbox – set up via PC
- NordVPN on Xbox – set up via Wi-Fi Router
Method 1: Set up NordVPN on Xbox via Mac
For our first method, you will require an Ethernet cable, an Xbox, a Mac, and an active NordVPN subscription.
- Install NordVPN application on your Mac device. You can download the application using the official NordVPN download page. Make sure to log in to the application with your active NordVPN subscription
- Connect your Mac and Xbox using the Ethernet cable
- From “System Preferences,” launch the “Sharing” option. Select “Internet Sharing” from the menu on the left side
- In the option “Share your connection from,” select “Wi-Fi” from the drop-down menu
- “Ethernet” should be selected from the “To computers using” list. If you connect to the internet on Mac using an Ethernet cable, share your connection using Wi-Fi instead
- Check the box to the left of Internet Sharing on the list to enable Internet connection sharing between your Xbox and Mac. If it is successful, then a green icon will appear
- All that is left is to connect your NordVPN application. Once it is connected to the desired location, your Xbox device will be using the same VPN network.
This marks the completion of setting up NordVPN on your Xbox via Mac.
Method 2: NordVPN set up on Xbox via PC
To set up NordVPN from your PC to your Xbox, follow the steps below:
- Launch “Settings” and click on “Network and Internet“
- Click on “Mobile Hotspot” from the panel on the left side
- Make sure “Wi-Fi” is selected in the Mobile Hotspot feature
- Click “Change adapter options” under “Related settings“
- You will see an adapter with the name “TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter.” Right-click on it and select properties
- Open the “Sharing tab” and enable the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.” From the dropdown menu, select the hotspot you’ve just created. You can find its name above the adapter tagged as “Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter.“
- Press “Ok“
You have successfully created a virtual router that will share the internet connection only from the NordVPN adapter. Make sure that you are either using TCP or UDP from the NordVPN application for a VPN connection.
Unlike Mac, setting up NordVPN on Xbox via PC is very much straightforward. You can connect the official NordVPN application on PC and then use the “Mobile Hotspot” feature to share the internet wirelessly on Xbox. Launch and connect NordVPN, enable the “Mobile Hotspot,” and search for the network on Xbox.
Unable to browse the internet on Xbox?
You may likely face the inability to browse the internet issue while sharing the internet from either Mac or PC device.
For such scenarios, you can overcome this problem by following the troubleshooting tips below.
- Switch the connection protocol between TCP and UDP and then share the network again
- Change the VPN server/location and share the network again
- Change the DNS on both devices, including Mac or PC and Xbox
Method 3: NordVPN set up on Xbox via Wi-Fi Router
Let’s being with the process of setting up NordVPN using OpenVPN client UI on your DD-WRT router. We have selected the DD-WRT router because it is the most basic and popular router among internet users.
1. Once you are logged in your router control panel, navigate to “Setup,” then “Basic Setup,” and enter the following DNS addresses in “Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)”
Static DNS 1: 22.214.171.124
Static DNS 2: 126.96.36.199
Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0 (default)
Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Checked
Use DNSMasq for DNS: Checked
2. Click on “Save” and then “Apply Settings”
3. Disable “IPv6” from the “IPv6” tab in “Basic Setup”
4. Click on the “VPN” tab in the “Service” tab. Enable “OpenVPN Client” to see the necessary options for configuration.
Server IP/Name: You can find the server address directly from the “NordVPN server tool”
Tunnel Device: Choose TUN
Tunnel Protocol: Choose UDP
Encryption Cipher: Choose AES-256-CBC
Hash Algorithm: Choose SHA-512
User Pass Authentication: Choose Enable
Username: Your NordVPN subscription username
Password: Your NordVPN subscription password
Advanced Options: Choose Enable
TLS Cipher: Choose None
LZO Compression: Choose Disable
NAT: Choose Enable
5. In the Additional Config box, either enter or copy/paste these commands:
#Delete `#` in the line below if your router does not have credentials fields and you followed the 3.1 step
Download the .ovpn configuration file directly from here: NordVPN OVPN configuration files.
6. Copy the text between <tls-auth> and </tls-auth> tags in the .ovpn file and paste it in the TLS Auth Key field
—–BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1—–
—–END OpenVPN Static key V1—–
7. Copy the text in between <ca> and </ca> tags in the .ovpn file and paste it in the CA Cert field
8. Click “Save,” and then click “Apply settings” to start the connection to the VPN
9. To check whether a VPN connection is established or not, go to Status -> OpenVPN.
10. If your VPN connection is successful, you will see the words “CONNECTED SUCCESS” and the following:
Once you have successfully connected NordVPN on your Router, all remaining is to connect your Xbox with the router. To set up a VPN on Asus Router, follow the instructions in our NordVPN router guide.
By setting up NordVPN on your router, you can distribute the VPN protection on every device in your home, including your macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and complicated devices such as Play Station, Firestick, and Smart TV. Without even opening its app, you’ll be able to download torrents with NordVPN freely.
Set up NordVPN on the following devices:
Port Forwarding on Xbox Using NordVPN
When you redirect a certain package onto a certain location or port, that’s called port-forwarding. This process can also be achieved on Xbox. Follow these steps to set up port-forwarding on Xbox:
- Go to your Xbox main page, enter into”Settings” -> “Network Settings” -> “Advanced settings“
- Make a note of your Xbox’s IP Address, MAC addresses, and Subnet Mask number
- In the Advanced Settings tab, select “IP settings” -> “Manual“
- Now enter in the numbers you noted from before. With this, the IP of your Xbox will never change.
- Enter into your router settings page and locate the port-forwarding settings, which should have an option to “add a rule.” Proceed with this “option”
- Start adding separate rules for all the above Xbox One ports. If you’re wondering what to name the ports, name them after the port number, e.g., Xbox83, Xbox3544.
- Once all ports are added, make sure you “save” the changes.
- Reboot your router and Xbox and navigate to Xbox’s “Network Settings“
- The information shown should say Nat Type: Open.
If it doesn’t work, then double-check to make sure the port number and IP address are correct.
Before starting with port forwarding on Xbox, the most important thing to know are the ports to forward. Below is the list of the ports that you will need to forward.
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)
Port 3075 (UDP + TCP)
Port 53 (UDP + TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
The reasons behind applying port-forwarding on the router include gaining the ability to host multi-player games, eradicate latency issues, receiving higher-quality voice chat, and optimization of in-game stability.
Region switch on Xbox with NordVPN
Follow the steps below to change your region on Xbox:
- Launch your Xbox
- Choose “My Games” and “Apps” from Home Screen
- Select “Settings” -> Select “System“, and then “Language & Location“
- Select your desired region from here
- Restart your Xbox
- Connect to a NordVPN server in the same region as your Xbox is configured to.
- Search for the app, game, or media you need, and download it on Xbox
Some applications, games, different media purchases, and streaming services are unavailable unless your region is set to the one they are allowed in. You will be required to change your Xbox region to access those geographically restricted content.
You can easily switch your Xbox region with these six recommended VPNs for Xbox. Just remember, you can only switch your region once every three months, so decide carefully before selecting your new region
NordVPN– Why is it best for your Xbox?
With over 5,500+ servers in 59 countries, NordVPN is the ideal choice for your Xbox to access game pass, apps, games, music purchases, movie and TV purchases that are geo-restricted for your location.
Its perks are not limited until there; you can reduce your online ping and lag exponentially by its high-speed server network, spread across the globe. Generally, game costs differ from region to region. But, with NordVPN, you can connect to a region where the game is available at the lowest price.
With cybersecurity threats on a continuous rise, you need technology to protect your internet activity from malware and hackers. NordVPN fulfills this role perfectly with its state-of-the-art AES-256 encryption technology. Advanced features such as Obfuscated server, Onion over VPN, and NordVPN’s Kill Switch are enough to provide you an additional security layer so that your online data and privacy are completely secure.
For user reviews, you can also check out what people are saying about NordVPN on Reddit in 2022.
While it used to offer a NordVPN lifetime subscription, currently, you can get it for just $3.71/mo (Save 68% on 2 Years Plan). All of NordVPN’s premium subscriptions come with a handy 30-day money-back guarantee to give its users a piece of mind. If you end up not being satisfied then you can always cancel your NordVPN subscription.