Optus Sport is an infamous streaming service where users can watch live sports, replays, and highlights of UEFA Europa League, Premier League, FIFA World Cup, and much more quite easily.
While the service is a heaven for all sports fans out there, it’s not accessible to everyone across the world. Why? Because this streaming service is geo-restricted to Australia due to licensing restrictions.
This means that if you try to access Optus Sport from outside Australia, you will receive a geo-restricted error message like the one below:
“Unfortunately, Optus Sport can not be used outside of Australia.”
Well, don’t worry. This article will show you how to unblock Optus Sport outside Australia.
One of the best ways to circumvent this geo-restriction issue is by using a VPN. We tested 40+ VPNs for this. Out of them, ExpressVPN remained our top recommendation to watch Optus Sport outside Australia.
3 Best VPNs to watch Optus Sport outside Australia [2022 In-Depth Analysis]
Here are the 3 best VPNs to watch Optus Sport outside Australia. These VPN providers are handpicked for our readers based on their ability to regularly unblock the Optus Sport channel in HD video quality and offer bufferless streaming:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch Optus Sport Outside Australia
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to watch Optus Sport outside Australia. Why? Because this VPN is an all-rounder that offers multiple Australian servers, super-fast speeds, and fantastic unblocking capabilities.
With 3000+ servers in 94 countries and dedicated servers in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, and Brisbane, there’s no way you can ever be left behind on your favorite sports matches on Optus Sport.
ExpressVPN’s servers are pretty speedy. Its Brisbane server delivered a super-fast speed of 86.18 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection when tested, which was actually pretty cool.
Thanks to its Australian servers, we could also unblock a variety of other Australian VoD services, including Foxtel Go, Stan, and Australia Plus TV outside Australia easily.
ExpressVPN is compatible with a variety of devices. These include iOS, Windows, Android, macOS, FireStick, Roku, Kodi, and more. You can even set up ExpressVPN on a router and enjoy the VPN-enabled connection to unblock Optus Sport.
It also offers a 24/7 live chat feature so that you can consult customer support in case of any connectivity issues.
You can get all this and much more with ExpressVPN at a price of just $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan).
Furthermore, you get a 30-day refund policy for your peace of mind in case you want to test out the service. Refer to our ExpressVPN review guide for more information.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch Optus Sport Outside Australia
Surfshark is one of the most budget-friendliest VPNs in the industry. And it’s not just the price that’s appealing about this VPN. With a super-affordable cost of $2.30/mo (Save 81% on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan with Surfshark Antivirus), this VPN also offers a great service to users.
Surfshark offers 3200+ servers and is available in 95 countries. Currently, it offers a variety of servers in five cities of Australia, i.e., Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.
With these servers, people living outside Australia can easily keep up with all of their favorite sports series on Optus Sport.
Surfshark offers reliable speeds to users. During the Surfshark speed test, it delivered an average speed of 84.34 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, which let us enjoy a few shows on Optus Sport easily.
These fast Australian servers can also be used to unblock other popular streaming services of Australia, including Stan, Foxtel Go, and 7 Plus outside Australia.
Surfshark is a user-friendly VPN compatible with multiple devices, including iOS, Windows, macOS, FireStick, Smart TVs, Kodi, Roku, PS4, etc. What sets this VPN provider apart from other VPNs is supporting unlimited simultaneous connections on one subscription.
Finally, this VPN offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee to users so you can test the service and claim a refund in case you don’t like it. Learn more about this VPN in our Surfshark review.
3. NordVPN – The Fastest VPN to Watch Optus Sport Outside Australia
NordVPN is quite popular in the industry due to its speed. After conducting the NordVPN speed test, we couldn’t help but agree. that this VPN is, in fact, quite fast.
This VPN has a server network of 5200+ servers in 60countries. Out of which, 190+ are in Australia, located in Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne.
What’s best is that NordVPN regularly refreshes its IP addresses so you won’t have to face proxy errors when watching Optus Sport from Australia.
We tested NordVPN with Optus Sports and we received a bufferless streaming experience throughout the day on its Adelaide server. It delivered a blazing-fast speed of 83.48 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, which was quite amazing.
Using its Australian servers, we could also unblock other Australian streaming services in our country. We specifically tried unblocking Foxtel Go with NordVPN and it worked great.
Just like the two VPNs above, NordVPN can be connected to a variety of devices, including Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, FireStick, routers, and more.
NordVPN comes at a price of just $3.99/mo (Save 70% on 2 Years Plan + Extra Subscription) along with 6 simultaneous connections. This VPN also offers a 30-day refund policy, in case you want to claim a refund after testing the service.
How to Subscribe to Optus Sport
Optus Sport is available to both Optus and non-Optus customers. Follow the steps below to subscribe to Optus Sport:
Steps for Optus Customer
Premium Optus subscribers can add Optus Sport to their plan using the steps below:
- Launch the My Optus app.
- Pick your service from the menu in the top left corner.
- Select Service.
- Select Add-ons.
- Choose Optus Sport from your Available Add-ons.
- Press Activate Optus Sport.
- Tick the box to agree to Optus Sport Terms & Conditions and press Confirm.
- That’s it; you now have access to Optus Sport.
Steps for Non-Optus Customers
There are two ways for Non-Optus customers to subscribe to Optus Sport:
- Subscribing to Optus Sport via Credit Card
- Subscribing to Optus Sport through App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android)
Subscribing to Optus Sport through App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android)
- Look for Optus Sport in the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Download the Optus Sport App.
- Launch the Optus Sport App.
- Choose Sign up.
- Insert your email address and click Next.
- Verify your mobile. Enter your mobile phone number and click Next. You will receive a 6 digit code.
- Insert the code and click Verify my mobile.
- Fill in your details and click Next.
- Set a password and click Create my account.
- Confirm your subscription and pay.
- Once the subscription is paid, you will become a registered subscriber of Optus Sport.
Subscribing to Optus Sport via Credit Card
- Visit the Optus Sport website.
- Choose Sign Up.
- Pick Create Account.
- Insert your email address.
- Follow the prompts.
Optus Sport was originally only available to Optus customers, but now any Australian who isn’t an Optus customer can also subscribe to Optus Sport. Optus Sport subscription costs $14.99/month through the Optus Sport app on iTunes or Google Play.
What Devices Can I Watch Optus Sport On?
You can watch Optus Sport on the following devices:
- PC (Windows)
- Mac (macOS)
- Android (Phone and Tablet)
- iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- Apple TV & Apple Airplay
- Samsung Smart TV
- LG Smart TV
- Google Chromecast
- PlayStation 4
- Xbox One
How to Install Optus Sport App on Android and iOS Devices Outside Australia?
You can get the Optus Sport app on your Android and iOs devices using the steps below:
How to Install the Optus Sport app on Android
- Disable your device location service.
- Launch your VPN provider app and connect to the Australian server.
- Once connected, open Google Play Store on your device.
- Tap on Account -> Add Another Account -> Enter New Gmail ID (with Australia as region).
- Go to Play Store -> Search for Optus Sport App -> Click Install.
Make sure to clear your Google Play Store app cache before you download the Optus Sport application.
How to Install the Optus Sport app on iOS
Here are the steps for installing Optus Sport App on iOS:
- Disable the location service or GPS service of your device.
- Open your VPN provider app and connect to the Australian server.
- After that, go to App Store -> Tap on Apple ID -> Country/ Region -> Change country to Australia.
- Head to App Store -> Locate and download the Optus App.
Can I Watch Optus Sport with a Free VPN?
Yes, you can watch Optus Sport with a free VPN, but we highly recommend against it. We have listed down few reasons that should convince you that free VPNs are not a good choice.
1. Bandwidth – Most of the free VPN providers offer a limited bandwidth on their accounts. This bandwidth is so low that it can barely help you finish a soccer match on Optus Sport. Therefore, subscribing to a premium VPN provider such as those listed above can only ensure unlimited and unrestricted access to Optus Sport sports matches.
2. Server Locations – These free VPN providers offer a minimal number of server locations. Their number lies between 3 to 5 servers. If the provider doesn’t even have a server in Australia, it is completely useless for your Optus Sport purpose. Only top-tier premium providers like ExpressVPN can guarantee servers in Australia.
3. Speed – Since the number of server locations barely crosses 3 or 5 and the number of users connected to these servers simultaneously crosses thousands, you will always face slow speed issues. This is something you don’t want to experience when you are watching a nail-biting English Premier league match on Optus Sport.
4. Security & Privacy – The free VPN providers usually don’t invest in advanced security tools due to less revenue. As their network security network keeps getting outdated, it gets easier and easier for hackers to intercept and steal users’ data. In some cases, these free VPN providers are caught selling user information and data to different authorities.
What Can I Watch on Optus Sport?
You can watch football matches and tournaments, including coverage of overseas leagues and international competitions on Optus Sport.
Optus Sport football coverage includes:
- English Premier League
- FA Women’s Super League
- K League (Korean League)
- J League (Japanese League)
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Europa League
- European Qualifiers
- UEFA Nations League
The platform has secured rights to the premier South American football championship, the Copa America, in 2021 and 2024. This might be the perfect time to subscribe to a VPN provider, so you don’t miss out on any of the championship games.
In addition to live and on-demand coverage of multiple leagues, Optus Sport also has replays and highlights of classic matches and previous seasons, sports documentaries, as well as press conferences and interviews for behind-the-scenes action.
FAQs – Optus Sport Outside Australia
Let’s see some frequently asked questions about watching Optus Sport outside Australia.
Does Optus Sport block VPN?
Yes, Optus Sport is blocking VPNs. Among the VPNs that it is blocking, many top-notch VPN providers are included as well. Like any other streaming channel, Optus Sport also has its tools to detect whether the internet user uses a proxy or a VPN. If you are caught, it will ban your IP, and you will no longer access it.
Is accessing Optus Sport with a VPN illegal?
No, it is not illegal to access Optus Sport with a VPN. While using a VPN itself is not illegal in most parts of the world, accessing Optus Sport with a VPN does violate Optus Sport own terms of usage.
Why can’t I access Optus Sport outside Australia without a VPN?
Optus Sport is exclusively accessible only in Australia. Therefore, to access it, you will need an Australian IP address and if you are outside Australia, then using a VPN is your only solution. However, out of all the reliable VPN services, our top choice is ExpressVPN.
Watching your beloved teams and the most significant soccer matches with Optus Sport outside Australia is possible and relatively straightforward with the right VPN.
To make life easy, we would always recommend going for a VPN with excellent server options, security, speed, and privacy features. For top performance and features, we recommend ExpressVPN for watching Optus Sport outside Australia.
With 5 devices, simultaneous connection support, and a very straightforward user interface, you can set up ExpressVPN on all of your streaming devices.
If you hurry up, you can avail of their limited time offer of “12 Months + 3 Months Free“, which you can cancel anytime if you don’t find it worth it and claim your funds via a 30-day money-back guarantee.