Kodi is one of the most popular media players across the world. Like most streaming platforms, Kodi also suffers from geo-restrictions as some popular Kodi addons like PBS Kids, DAZN, and more.
With a VPN, you can effectively bypass geo-restrictions and watch content from anywhere on your Kodi. The best VPN for Kodi will also help you enjoy safe and secure streaming on Kodi. A VPN cannot only help you enjoy faster speeds for streaming, but also protect against DDoS attacks and ISP throttling.
To help you choose one, we have tested 160+ VPNs to bring you the top 5 best providers for Kodi. Let’s start with a brief overview first.
5 Best VPNs for Kodi in March 2022 [Detailed Analysis]
For our readers’ ease, we have tested and reviewed over 150+ VPNs on various criteria like speed, unblocking ability, compatibility with Kodi devices, and refund policy. Only 6 VPNs passed our test. Here is a list of 6 best Kodi VPN in 2022:
1. The Best Kodi VPN – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is the best VPN service for Kodi when it comes to HD streaming. It is highly compatible with Kodi devices, such as Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick.
ExpressVPN has 3000+ global servers in 94 countries. It is located in the British Virgin Islands, which is not part of 14 Eyes intelligence-sharing countries, and it doesn’t keep any kind of logs.
ExpressVPN is also the best VPN for streaming due to its MediaStreamer feature. This SmartDNS service is best for unblocking geo-restricted streaming content without the need for any encryption. It offers super-fast speeds for HD content streaming.
ExpressVPN offers the best speeds for streaming on Kodi. We tested 5 of its servers and got the following results:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Result|
|UK – East London||88.3 Mbps|
|Italy – Milan||84.1 Mbps|
|USA – Los Angeles||89.3 Mbps|
|Canada – Toronto||84.3 Mbps|
|Germany – Frankfurt – 1||82.2 Mbps|
Here is a screenshot of the speed test we conducted on ExpressVPN’s USA – Los Angeles server:
ExpressVPN does not have a dedicated Kodi add-on but is available as OpenVPN for Kodi under Zomboided Repo. If this VPN seems fit for you, check out the ExpressVPN Kodi installation guide.
You can also check out our ExpressVPN review for more information on the provider.
2. Budget-Friendly VPN for Kodi – Surfshark
Surfshark is the most budget-friendly VPN for Kodi available for just $2.30/mo (Save 81% on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan with Surfshark Antivirus). However, what’s more interesting is the fact that this VPN supports unlimited devices on a single account. Yes, with Surfshark you can secure as many devices as you want with one subscription.
With over 3200+ servers in 95 countries and having good server speed, it packs great performance at such a low price.
It is also one of the best VPN with US servers as it can also unblock major geo-restricted streaming platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, IPTV Services, and more. You can easily unblock CW TV outside the US with Surfshark’s worldwide servers Inclusing ===
Surfshark also offers good speeds on its servers. We tested 5 of its servers and got the following speed test results for streaming content on Kodi:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Result|
|Germany – Frankfurt||66.1 Mbps|
|Italy – Milan||60.7 Mbps|
|Canada – Montreal||72.3 Mbps|
|The United States – Chicago||56.3 Mbps|
|Australia – Perth||73 Mbps|
You can also check out our Surfshark speed test results for the best VPN location for Kodi:
Surfshark offers AES-256-bit encryption, kill switch, CleanWeb, WhiteLister and more for online security and protection.
Surfshark is available for all major devices such as Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Smart TV, Fire Stick etc. Android users can also directly install the APK file from Surfshark’s website.
You can also check out our Surfshark Kodi installation guide for easy & convenient setup.
3. Secure VPN for Kodi – NordVPN
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for Kodi with the most powerful 256-bit encryption and security features like Double VPN, Obfuscated servers and more. With its Double VPN, all of your online traffic on Kodi is encrypted twice for maximum security.
NordVPN supports Windows, macOS, iOS, Android/Android TV, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Blackberry, Fire TV, and more. You can also download its APK file from NordVPN’s website.
Additionally, NordVPN works great with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Crackle, and more due to its high unblocking capabilities. You can download any Kodi addon you want from anywhere in the world with NordVPN.
If we talk about servers, NordVPN offers 5200+ servers in 60 countries. NordVPN’s speeds are reliable, as on most servers, it managed to deliver good speeds for 4K streaming. Let’s go through some of its recommended servers and their speed tests:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Test Results|
|Australia – Perth||70.3 Mbps|
|Japan – Tokyo||74.2 Mbps|
|UAE – Dubai||66.4 Mbps|
|The USA – Chicago||70.3 Mbps|
|The UK – London||71.6 Mbps|
Here is a screenshot of Kodi streaming on NordVPN’s USA server:
It is available at a price of just $3.99/mo (Save 70% on 2 Years Plan + Extra Subscription) and comes with a 30 day money back guarantee as well.
4. User-friendly VPN for Kodi – CyberGhost
CyberGhost is one of the most user-friendly VPNs for Kodi with easy to use apps. What’s best is that it also offers dedicated servers for streaming, gaming, torrenting and privacy, making it a great choice for Kodi beginners.
CyberGhost offers 7700+ servers across 90 countries. It also offers optimized servers for various streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, DAZN, CrunchyRoll, and more.
It supports multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, routers, PS4, Linux, etc. Also, with one CyberGhost account, you can connect up to 7 devices at the same time. Unfortunately, its Android version is only available on Google Play Store, as there are no APK files. So, for devices that run on OpenELEC, you will have to manually configure CyberGhost.
The service also offers top-of-the-line military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, IP leak protection, NoSpy servers and a kill switch for online privacy and security. It is based in Romania, which does not fall under the 14-eyes countries so it does not keep logs.
CyberGhost’s speeds are good too, so you won’t have problems with Kodi buffering issues anymore. Let’s look at speed test results of some of it’s recommended servers for Kodi streaming:
|Recommended Servers||Speed-Test Results|
|Australia – Sydney||62.3 Mbps|
|USA – New York||60.2 Mbps|
|UK – Manchester||59 Mbps|
|Norway – Oslo||61.4 Mbps|
Here is a screenshot of Kodi streaming on one of CyberGhost’s recommended servers:
CyberGhost’s price is super affordable, as it is available at just $2.23/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
With optimized servers for various streaming services, you can easily stream on Kodi from official sources like Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more. If you like this VPN, you can view the CyberGhost Kodi installation process.
Read our CyberGhost review for more information on this provider.
5. Fastest VPN for Kodi – IPVanish
IPVanish is the fastest VPN for Kodi as during testing it managed to deliver a high speed of 91 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection. With such a fast speed, you will no have no buffering or streaming issues on Kodi.
IPVanish offers 2000+ servers in 75+ locations. With it’s global servers, you can unblock various streaming addons that are geo-restricted like BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Hulu, PBS Kids, Amazon Prime and more.
It works well on all major platforms, including routers, Amazon Fire TVs, Windows, Android, Mac, Linux, and more. Just like Surfshark, IPVanish also supports unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can connect as many devices as you want on a single account. With IPVanish, you can access Kodi on your PC, laptop, and more. It is also considered one of the best Windows 10 VPN because of its feature-rich app and compatibility.
With IPVanish, you’ll also get top-notch security thanks to its 256-bit encryption, kill switch, and IP leak protection. IPVanish is also secure as it does not keep any user logs whatsoever.
IPVanish offers the best speeds on its servers. Let’s check out the speed test results of recommended servers for Kodi streaming:
|Recommended Servers||Speed-Test Results|
|United Kingdom – Manchester||90.3 Mbps|
|Japan – Tokyo||83.6 Mbps|
|United States – Seattle||91 Mbps|
|Australia – Sydney||89.7 Mbps|
|Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur||88.5 Mbps|
Here is a screenshot of streaming on Kodi using IPVanish’s servers:
IPVanish also offers apps for Fire TV on Amazon store, however, Linux user’s will need to manually configure the VPN on their device. Check out our IPVanish Kodi guide for more information on the setup.
Test Methodology: How to Choose the Best VPN for Kodi
When choosing the best VPN for Kodi, you should keep a number of factors in mind as follows:
- Speed — You’ll need fast connection speeds for a smooth streaming experience without any buffering issues. Make sure the VPN you choose does not decrease your speed by more than 30%.
- Privacy — Look for strong 256-bit AES encryption and a no-logs policy to prevent anyone from spying on you while you stream on Kodi. The best VPN for Kodi should also offer a kill switch and IP leak protection as well.
- Ease of use — Should be easy to use. There’s no point in using an overly complicated VPN service.
- Ability to unblock geo-locked content — Must be able to get past strict regional geo-restrictions and should work with Netflix, HBO, Hulu and more.
- Device compatibility — Make sure that the VPN supports a wide range of operating systems like Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and routers.
- Customer support — Should come with professional 24/7 live chat support and email support.
- Money-back guarantee – Make sure the VPN offers at least 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free.
Why should I use a VPN with Kodi?
There are many reasons why you need a VPN for Kodi. But just to give you an idea, here’s what the best Kodi VPN can help you achieve:
- A VPN hides your online traffic
- Keeps your online privacy protected
- Unblocks geo-restricted Kodi content
- Prevents Kodi buffering
The most important need of a VPN for Kodi is to hide your online activity from Internet Service Providers. If you don’t have a VPN and continue streaming videos on Kodi, you could face the following consequences:
- Serving a jail term of at least 5 years (the US and UK jail penalty)
- Unable to access certain websites, streaming services, and Kodi add-ons
- Lawsuits can be filed against you for copyright violation
Short Guide: How to Install a VPN on Kodi
While keeping ExpressVPN as an example, here is a simple way of how to install a VPN on Kodi:
Note: Don’t Download APK Files From Third-Parties.
If your Kodi device doesn’t have Google Play, then you won’t be able to download the VPN app on your device directly. However, you can download the APK file and allow your Kodi device to install apps from unknown sources. When you are downloading the APK file, be careful because there are a lot of third parties on the internet that are offering APK files of different VPN providers that are fake.
Avoid these third-party websites offering APK files because there is a high risk that these files contain malware. Even if you find an APK file free of malware, chances are they are out of date with outdated security features.
Therefore, make sure to download APK files directly from the official website of the VPN provider. Or, you can “sideload” the VPN app from an Android device that has Google Play.
How to use a VPN with Kodi on Multiple Devices
Since Kodi offers apps for different operating systems and most VPNs support 5+ multi-logins, you’ll have no trouble streaming your favorite content on any device you want. Speaking of multiple devices, let me show you how you can set up a VPN on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows and FireStick devices to use with Kodi:
Using a VPN after setting up Kodi on Android is super easy. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- First, download the Android Kodi app for your Android device from the Google Play Store.
- After that, sign up for the best VPN for Kodi (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Download and install the VPN app from the Play Store.
- Launch the VPN app and connect to any server location of your choice.
- Finally, launch the Kodi app on your Android device and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
If you own an iOS device, here’s how you can set up a VPN on any iOS device to use with Kodi:
- Sign up for any VPN service (ExpressVPN recommended).
- From the App Store, download and install the ExpressVPN app on your iOS device.
- After installation, launch ExpressVPN and connect to a server location of your choice. For US streaming platforms, you can connect to New Jersey – 3 server as it is the fastest.
- Finally, launch Kodi on your iOS device to freely access blocked channels and add-ons.
You can also install Kodi on Fire Stick and use it with a VPN. Here’s how:
- Launch your Fire Stick, select the Search option, and type the name of the VPN app you want to download.
- Click on the VPN app from the results and click on the Download button.
- Wait for the download to finish, and then click Open to launch the VPN app.
- Now, Sign in to your VPN app with your account credentials.
- Finally, connect to a VPN location of your choice and then launch the Kodi app to start streaming.
Let’s look into how you can install a VPN on Mac to use Kodi:
- Turn on your Macbook and visit Kodi’s website.
- Press download from the top-right corner.
- Under ‘Choose your weapon‘, click the MacOS icon.
- Press the Installer button to start downloading Kodi on your Mac.
- Next, you will have to drag your Kodi icon to the ‘Applications‘ folder.
- Open Applications and choose Kodi.
- Press Open when a message prompts on the screen and you’re good to go.
This step-by-step guide will be useful for you if you own a Windows PC. To set up Kodi with Windows, you need to:
- Go to your browser and visit Kodi.tv.
- Press the download icon at the top-right corner of the page.
- Choose Windows from under the ‘Choose your weapon‘ prompt.
- Press the 32-bit or 62-bit installer to start downloading Kodi.
- Launch the Kodi app once it’s downloaded.
- That’s it, you can now start streaming on Kodi via Windows.
How to choose a Kodi box?
Most people that use Kodi prefer separate home media centers when they install Kodi on their operating systems like Linux, Mac, or Windows. These separate media centers are devices are called Kodi boxes.
While most Linux distros can run Kodi effectively, one efficient and the low-powered device is OpenElec. This is one Linux distros that are meant for Kodi boxes. While VPNs make apps specifically for Linux distros that might be able to run on OpenElec, it is still preferred to set up a VPN manually on it.
When getting a Kodi box, you need to be vigilant about scams. Many vendors will sell you non-stock editions or pre-configured Kodi boxes. It’s better that you do not purchase them. While you might see this as an easy way out, these boxes may come to you with malware and botnets that might put your privacy at risk. You can install Kodi on your device yourself if your Kodi box does not come with a stock version of it.
FAQs about Best VPN for Kodi
Now that you know what are the 5 best VPNs for Kodi, let’s check out some of the frequently asked questions people have regarding Kodi and VPNs.
❓ Is Kodi legal?
Yes, Kodi is legal. That said, it’s not as straightforward as you might think. The problem lies in how you use Kodi. If you use Kodi to stream copyright-free content, then you should have nothing to worry about. But if you use pirated sources, you can get into a lot of trouble.
❓ Do I need a VPN for Kodi?
Yes, you should absolutely use a VPN for Kodi. The best VPNs for Kodi are required to route your Kodi traffic through an encrypted tunnel. This way, everything you stream over Kodi goes through this tunnel that keeps your traffic hidden.
❓ What is the best Kodi VPN?
After the many tests performed, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Kodi according to our testing criteria. It is fast, offers robust 256-bit encryption and security features like a kill switch, IP leak protection and more. ExpressVPN also comes with excellent unblocking ability and works with all geo-restricted addons, making it the best Kodi VPN.
❓ Can I use a free VPN with Kodi?
Even though there are plenty of free VPNs in the industry, we don’t recommend using a free VPN with Kodi. Free VPNs lack security features and are known to sell user data to make money. Also, free VPNs come with plenty of limitations. You can only consume limited bandwidth and choose between a few crowded server locations. Similarly, only a few free VPNs work with Netflix on Kodi.
❓ How do I stream with a Kodi VPN?
You can use a Kodi VPN to unblock some geo-restricted Kodi add-ons for streaming. Follow these steps to stream with a Kodi VPN:
- Get a VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN as it is fast, secure and offers excellent unblocking ability.
- Download it on your preferred device (Android, Windows, FireStick and more) and log in.
- Connect to a server of your choice.
- Open Kodi and start streaming your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
❓ Does Kodi have a VPN?
Kodi does not have a built-in VPN app, but you can install a Kodi VPN on your chosen Kodi device to unlock all geo-restricted Kodi add-ons easily.
❓ Can I use Kodi without VPN?
You can easily use Kodi without VPN, as it is not a prerequisite for using the streaming platform. However, it is better that you connect to a VPN to safeguard your privacy and security.
Kodi is an amazing platform to stream great content for free. That said, some of the content on Kodi is copyrighted, which can get you in trouble.
Although we don’t condone copyright infringement for secure and anonymous streaming, we strongly recommend using one of the best VPN for Kodi for accessing geo-blocked streaming sites.
Our top recommendation for Kodi is ExpressVPN as it can help you unblock any streaming platform on Kodi and also help you avoid ISP throttling for smooth streaming and is also ranked among the Top UK VPNs as well.