Amazon Fire Stick is arguably the simplest yet most powerful entertainment device out there. Unfortunately, due to geo-blocks, you won’t be able to enjoy popular streaming apps on your Firestick device if you’re outside the U.S.
As you’re probably aware, almost all streaming services offer a different content catalog depending on your location, with the largest number of titles generally available for the American audience. This is true for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many other services.
Fortunately, you can easily get over this annoying issue with the help of a VPN. In this guide, we will list some of the best VPNs for Fire Stick that can help you unblock your favorite content on Amazon Fire Stick from any location in the world.
A VPN changes your IP address, allowing you to virtually access the content of any country from your original physical location. This functionality enables users to bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, BBC iPlayer, etc. In fact, VPNs will open up a whole new world of content for you, allowing you to access a lot of free as well as paid Fire Stick apps.
How to Choose the Best VPN for FireStick
Here are the essential features that any best Fire TV and Fire Stick VPN should offer:
- Dedicated apps – Downloadable apps designed for Fire TV and Fire Stick devices.
- Speedy – Fast performance to enable high-quality streams with minimal buffering.
- Stable – Reliable and stable service with no bugs and connection drops.
- Simple user experience – Should be easy to use, especially for beginners.
- Bypass geo-blocks – Should be able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Security and privacy features – Should offer no logs, 256-bit encryption, and leak protection.
6 Best VPNs for Fire Stick in 2021
I have listed these best Fire Stick VPNs based on their speed, encryption, and dedicated Fire Stick apps. You can consider using these VPNs for unhindered streaming on Amazon Fire TV Stick in 2021:
1. ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94 | Multi-Logins: 5 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $6.67/mo (49% Off)
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the fastest VPN for Fire TV Stick and easily unblocks all streaming services without a problem. It has a good rating on the Amazon app store (4.0 Stars out of 5). ExpressVPN is also quite lightweight. It occupies only 24.5 MB space on Fire Stick and takes less than 3 minutes to download & Setup ExpressVPN on firestick.
What makes ExpressVPN the best VPN for streaming in 2021, is its unblocking capabilities. It is known to bypass even the toughest geo-restriction mechanisms in place, bringing you access to all sort of content of your choice. I tested it with Netflix, Disney Plus, and other services and it worked flawlessly.
The cool thing about ExpressVPN is that it does not keep any logs, as discussed in our logging guide. Their servers have been tested on many occasions and never have they been found to store any information.
Although it is on the pricier side, it is totally worth getting. ExpressVPNs starts from $6.67/mo and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days. For further details about this service, check out our ExpressVPN review.
2. Surfshark – A VPN with Kill Switch feature on Fire Stick
Servers: 3200+ | Countries: 65 | Multi-Logins: Unlimited | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $2.49/mo (81% Off)
Surfshark has a good Amazon Rating of 4.0 Stars out of 5 and is ranked #4 under top security apps. Similar to PureVPN, Surfshark also offers a dedicated for Fire Stick devices. Its app consumes only 33.3 MB of space and takes less than 2 minutes to set up Surfshark on firestick devices.
If we talk about its unblocking capabilities, Surfshark easily unblocks Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, and other services on Amazon devices. Surfshark is fast too, hence why it is good for streaming. I managed to stream a bunch of shows in HD quality without any buffering issues.
If we talk about features, Surfshark comes with a CleanWeb feature that actively protects users from online trackers or malware. It is one of the few best VPNs for FireStick that has a Kill Switch feature, so it keeps you safe online even when a VPN connection drops.
All in all, Surfshark is easily one of the most effective yet affordable options for Fire Stick users available at $2.49/mo for its 2-years plan with 30-days money-back guarantee. But what really fascinates me is its unlimited device connection with a single account. For further details about this service, check out our Surfshark review.
3. NordVPN – Strong Privacy and Unblocking Capability for Fire TV Users
Servers: 5500+ | Countries: 59 | Multi-Logins: 6 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $3.71/mo (68% Off)
NordVPN is super reliable and offers stable performance without any speed fluctuations, making for an awesome streaming experience for Fire TV users. It has an Amazon rating of 4 stars out of 5 which is great as well. NordVPN’s app file size varies between 38.1MB – 40.5MB which is a bit on the heavier side. But regardless of size, it took me about 4 minutes to set up NordVPN on firestick.
If we talk about features, NordVPN offers strong 256-bit encryption, so everything you stream on your Fire Stick device remains completely hidden. It also has the largest server network with 5500+ servers.
When testing its streaming performance, I was able to easily stream Netflix with NordVPN in HD quality. The good thing about NordVPN is that it is super affordable. Its 2-year plan costs $3.71/mo + 3 months free with 30-days money-back guarantee. It also offers a 7-day free trial so you can fully test it out before purchasing. For further details about this service, check out our NordVPN detailed review.
4. PureVPN – Reliable VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick Streaming
Servers: 6500+ | Countries: 140+ | Multi-Logins: 10 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 3.5 out of 5 | Price: $3.33/mo – 70% Off
It has an Amazon rating of 3.5 stars out of 5 and works exceptionally well when it comes to streaming geo-restricted content. During testing, I was able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with ease. If we talk about streaming quality, I was able to enjoy my favorite shows in HD quality.
Using PureVPN on Fire Stick is super easy. Its app is very well designed and perfect for any newbie. It also comes with plenty of security features such as 256-bit encryption and even leak protection. As for pricing, It costs $3.33/mo . Despite being affordable, It gives you a 31-days money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our review of PureVPN.
5. Private Internet Access VPN – Superior Usability for Fire Stick Users
Servers: 23,000+ | Countries: 77+ | Multi-Logins: 10 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $2.69/mo (77% Off)
Next up, we have Private Internet Access. What makes it one of the best VPN for Fire TV is its massive server network. It currently offers 23,000+ servers in 77+ countries. PIA VPN has an amazing 4.0 out of 5 stars rating on the Amazon app store. Its app file size is only 24.1 MB, which requires less than 2 minutes to install PIA on Fire Stick.
PIA VPN’s user experience is unlike any other. It is super easy to set up and use on Fire Stick devices. Once I got PIA VPN installed on my Fire Stick device, I was able to unblock a bunch of popular streaming services with ease.
From a privacy standpoint, PIA VPN has no history of ever being involved in data retention or privacy-related scandals.
Unlike ExpressVPN, PIA VPN is much more affordable. Not only does it offer 10-multi logins, but it only costs $2.69/mo and comes with a 30-days money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our Private Internet Access review.
6. CyberGhost VPN – Stream your favorite content on Fire Stick
Servers: 6600+ | Countries: 89+ | Multi-Logins: 7 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 3.5 out of 5 | Price: $2.25/mo (83% Off)
Lastly, CyberGhost is another decent VPN that offers a very well designed dedicated app for Amazon Fire Stick devices. CyberGhost has a 3.5 out of 5 stars rating and is super easy to set up. It personally took me less than 5 minutes to install CyberGhost VPN on Fire TV Stick.
Once set up, CyberGhost lets you access a variety of geo-restricted streaming apps. CyberGhost offers various streaming optimized servers that work with streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
From an affordability standpoint, CyberGhost is much cheaper than a lot of other VPNs for Fire Stick in the industry. It costs only $2.25/mo and comes with 45-days money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our CyberGhost review.
VPNs that don’t work with Fire Stick
There is a huge list of VPNs that currently don’t offer apps for Amazon Fire Stick devices. I am going to name a few along with the reasons why these Fire Stick VPNs are not recommended:
- Avast VPN — Unfortunately, the VPN does not currently offer any apps for Amazon Fire Stick devices.
- Turbo VPN — Turbo VPN Fire Stick app is expected to come out soon but is not available at the moment.
- Atom VPN — Atom VPN’s Fire Stick app is not available on the Amazon app store at the moment.
- VPN Unlimited — This VPN is not available on the official Amazon app store.
Why do I need a Fire Stick VPN?
VPNs have become a necessity these days due to growing privacy concerns and online censorship. Here are two main reasons why you will need a Fire Stick VPN:
1. Access geo-blocked content — If you don’t know, countries like China enforce strict geo-blocks to prevent people from accessing foreign content. This is why so many people use VPNs. With the help of a Fire Stick VPN, you’ll be able to access any content of your choice on your Fire Stick device, even if you’re in China.
2. Hide your Fire Stick’s browsing activities — It might seem odd, but do you know that your ISP can see everything that you do online? Believe it or not, your internet service provider knows exactly what you stream on your Fire Stick device. But with the help of a VPN, you can encrypt your network traffic and prevent anyone from viewing your browsing activities.
How do I install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Step 1: First you need to subscribe with PureVPN or any other VPN service we have discussed above
Step 2: Open Fire Stick Home > Go to Search option > Type PureVPN
Step 3: Download and Open PureVPN
Step 4: Sign In to PureVPN if you have already subscribed to the service or get a 7 Days Free Trial
Step 5: PureVPN app on Fire Stick will now open
Step 6: Select any country server e.g. Australia
Step 7: There is a separate section for apps if you scroll down. It lets you connect to US Netflix
How do I use a VPN on Fire Stick?
Here’s how you can use a VPN with your Fire Stick device.
Step 1: Open Fire Stick Home > Click on Settings
Step 2: Select Applications > Then Manage Installed Applications
Step 3: Choose the app you had installed. For instance, if you have installed Surfshark, then select the app and press Launch
Step 4: Log in with Username and Password
Step 5: Once the app is opened, you can find any server location
Step 6: Surfshark will now be connected to the server
Step 7: Once connected, make sure you turn on the kill switch feature
Can’t install VPN on Fire TV Stick from Amazon Store? Try This Solution!
Although you can generally download VPN apps without any troubles through the Amazon Store, there are times when you might experience problems.
If you are facing issues installing a VPN app on your Fire Stick, you can use the alternative method that involves the “Downloader” app:
- Go to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options > and make sure “Apps from Unknown Sources” is set to “On”.
- Now search for the “Downloader” app and install it.
- Give Downloader permission to access photos, media, and files on your device.
- Enter the URL for your VPN’s APK file. ( You can ask your VPN’s customer support for the link.)
- Now select “Go” and install the file.
How to change Amazon Fire TV Stick regions and libraries?
VPNs are not just good for streaming but for other purposes as well. You can also switch your Amazon region with the help of a VPN. Here’s how you can change the region of your Fire Stick or Fire TV with a VPN:
- Connect to a VPN server located in the country you want to stream the content from.
- Now go to Your Account > Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Country/Region > and choose your desired country or region.
With these settings, you can stream content in any country of your liking.
How to Update VPN on Fire TV Stick?
The one problem that you might face when sideloading VPN apps is that they do not receive automatic updates. Hence, I have outlined a simple method that will help you update sideloaded Fire Stick VPN apps:
- Open Fire Stick > Go to Settings
- Select Applications > Then click on Manage Installed Applications
- Find and click on the VPN app > Now click on Update (If there is an update, the icon will appear)
- Once updated, launch the app
VPN not working on Fire Stick [Short TroubleShoot Guide]
If your VPN is acting up, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Follow the steps below to
- If a VPN for Fire Stick fails to connect, go to its settings and change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP)
- Restart Fire Stick device > Remove the plug > Re-plug and start using the device
- If you experience slow streaming/browsing, try changing the server. For e.g., if you’re connected to a US server, try changing it to a different city
- Uninstall and re-install the VPN app
- Always communicate with customer support on the VPN provider’s website and they will help you out
FAQs – Best Fire Stick VPNs
Now that you know what are the best VPNs for Fire Stick devices, let’s check out some of the most frequently asked questions.
Do I need a VPN for Fire Stick?
If you’re located outside the US, then you’re probably going to need a VPN in order to access all the geo-restricted streaming apps on Fire Stick that only work within the US.
What is the best VPN for Fire Stick in 2021?
How to check if VPN is working on Fire Stick?
You can check if you have an active VPN connection to Fire Stick using your browser. Launch the browser through Fire TV and enter this address: http://iplookup.flagfox.net. This tool will show you details such as country, city, IP address, etc. If you’re correctly seeing the country whose server you’re connected to, then your VPN is working on Fire Stick. Otherwise, there might be a problem.
Can I use a free VPN for Fire Stick?
Yes, you can use a free VPN with your Fire Stick device. However, you will have to deal with some limitations such as data caps, few servers, VPN logs, and annoying ads.
Do VPNs work with all versions of Fire Stick?
Except for the first generation Fire TV Stick devices, all current versions of Fire Stick support VPNs.
What happens if you don’t use a VPN on Fire Stick?
Without a VPN, you can access all functionalities and features of your Fire TV like normal. However, you won’t be able to access geo-restricted apps or change your Amazon region. Moreover, VPNs make you more secure and guard your privacy on the Internet. When you use your Fire Stick without a VPN, you won’t be as protected on the web.
Recommended VPN for Fire Stick in 2021
If you love binge-watching movies, TV shows, and documentaries without cable on your big screen TV, then an Amazon Fire Stick device should be your go-to choice. That being said, due to geo-restrictions, you might not be able to unleash its full streaming potential.
Fortunately though, with the help of a VPN, you can enhance your streaming experience by accessing highly desirable streaming services from anywhere in the world. If you want to know my top recommendation for Fire Stick VPN, I would suggest going with PureVPN. It is super affordable and works exceptionally well with Fire Stick devices.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?