In this guide, we will list some of the best VPNs for FireStick that can help you unblock your favorite content on Amazon Fire Stick from any location in the world.
Amazon Fire Stick is arguably the simplest yet most powerful entertainment device out there. Unfortunately, due to geo-blocks, you won’t be able to enjoy popular streaming apps on your Fire Stick device if you’re outside the U.S.
As you’re probably aware, almost all streaming services offer a different content catalog depending on your location, with the largest number of titles generally available for the American audience. This is true for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many other services. I mean, wouldn’t you want the best VPN for Netflix for this?
Fortunately, you can easily get over this annoying issue with the help of a VPN. And not just a VPN, potentially the best VPN for streaming on Fire Stick.
A VPN changes your IP address, allowing you to virtually access any country’s content from your original physical location. This functionality enables users to bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services. You can select a VPN that works with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, BBC iPlayer, etc effectively. In fact, VPNs will open up a whole new world of content for you, allowing you to access a lot of free as well as paid Fire Stick apps.
Can’t install VPN on Fire TV Stick from Amazon Store? Try This Solution!
If you face any trouble installing a VPN app on your Fire Stick, just use this easy alternate method using the Downloader app to download the APK file.
Premium VPNs offer the best services with no trouble. A user can easily download the best VPN for Fire Stick from their Amazon Stores and use it. But, there may be a time when you might face an issue with your app.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Visit Settings > My Fire TV. Then click Developer Options and turn ON Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Next, install the Downloader app.
- Once you’re done, enable Downloader to access photos, media, and files on your device.
- Insert the URL of your VPN’s APK file. ( Ask your chosen VPN’s customer support for it.)
- Finally, press Go and install the file.
Why do I need a VPN for Fire Stick?
With rapidly increasing security concerns, there is a significant need to remain connected to a VPN at all times. And what’s better than streaming your favorite content on your favorite streaming platforms without any restrictions? Here’s in detail why you actually need a VPN for Fire Stick:
1. Access geo-restricted content: A premium VPN would allow you to access geo-restricted content libraries from across the world with no hassles. You can use a VPN that works with Netflix and enjoy its geo-restricted content. You can also unblock streaming services like Amazon Prime and enjoy.
If you don’t know, countries like China enforce strict geo-blocks to prevent people from accessing foreign content. This is why so many people use VPNs. With the help of a Fire Stick VPN, you’ll be able to access any content of your choice on your Fire Stick device, even if you’re in China.
2. ISP throttling: Often your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limits your internet bandwidth which results in a slow connection. A VPN eliminates ISP throttling by your ISP and allows you to stream services and content on your Fire Stick without any loading or buffering.
3. Online monitoring: It might seem odd, but do you know that your ISP can see everything you do online? Believe it or not, your internet service provider knows exactly what you stream on your Fire Stick device. But with the help of a VPN, you can encrypt your network traffic and prevent anyone from viewing your browsing activities.
4. Legal problems: You can easily set up Kodi and many other services on your Fire TV anytime. These services offer free and often, copyrighted content. To avoid getting into any legal trouble on streaming copyrighted content, one needs the best VPN service for Fire Stick.
How do I select the Best VPN for Fire Stick?
We’ve selected the best VPNs for Fire Stick according to this ranking criteria:
- Dedicated apps – The VPN offers a downloadable app designed for Fire TV and Fire Stick devices.
- Speedy connection – Fast performance to enable high-quality streams with minimal buffering on Fire Stick and Fire TV.
- Reliability – Offers a reliable and stable service with no bugs and connection drops.
- Simple interface – The app should be easy to use, especially for beginners.
- Bypass geo-blocks – Should be able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services on Fire Stick.
- Security and privacy features – Should offer no logs, 256-bit encryption, leak protection, etc.
- Compatibility: The VPN is compatible with media players like Kodi.
- Reputable service: The service has a good reputation and reviews.
6 Best VPNs for Fire Stick in 2021
I have listed these best Fire Stick VPNs based on their speed, encryption, and dedicated Fire Stick apps. You can consider using these VPNs for unhindered streaming on Amazon Fire TV Stick in 2021:
1. ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94 | Multi-Logins: 5 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $6.67/mo (49% Off)
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the fastest and one of the best VPNs for Fire Stick. It can easily unblock all streaming services without a problem. It has a good rating on the Amazon app store (4.0 Stars out of 5). ExpressVPN is also quite lightweight. It occupies only 24.5 MB space on FireStick and takes less than 3 minutes to download & Set up ExpressVPN.
What makes ExpressVPN the best VPN for streaming in 2021 is its unblocking capabilities. It is known to bypass even the toughest geo-restriction mechanisms in place, bringing you access to all sort of content of your choice. I tested it with Netflix, Disney Plus, and other services, and it worked flawlessly.
The cool thing about ExpressVPN is that it does not keep any logs, as discussed in our logging guide. Their servers have been tested on many occasions, and never have they been found to store any information.
Although it is on the pricier side, it is totally worth getting. ExpressVPNs starts from $6.67/mo and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days. For further details about this service, check out our ExpressVPN review.
How to Install ExpressVPN on Fire Stick / Fire TV
Use this step-by-step guide to install and use ExpressVPN on your Fire Stick:
1. Sign up to ExpressVPN using your browser.
2. Turn on your Fire Stick device and select Find then Search in the menu bar.
3. Search for the ExpressVPN app. Once you find it, click download/get.
4. Launch the ExpressVPN app and sign into it.
5. Accept or deny sharing reports to ExpressVPN when prompted to Help Improve ExpressVPN.
6. Press OK when Set Up your VPN is displayed on your screen.
7. Click OK on the connection request prompt. Once you’re done, the app will select a Smart Location for you. You can always change it by clicking All Locations.
2. Surfshark – A VPN with Kill Switch feature on FireStick
Servers: 3200+ | Countries: 65 | Multi-Logins: Unlimited | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.1 out of 5 | Price: $2.49/mo (81% Off)
Surfshark has a good Amazon Rating of 4.1 Stars out of 5 and is ranked #4 under top security apps. Similar to PureVPN, Surfshark also offers a dedicated for Fire Stick devices. Its app consumes only 33.3 MB of space and takes less than 2 minutes to set up Surfshark on firestick devices.
Surfshark easily unblocks Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, and other services on Amazon devices if we talk about its unblocking capabilities. Surfshark is fast, too, hence why it is good for streaming. I managed to stream a bunch of shows in HD quality without any buffering issues.
Surfshark comes with a CleanWeb feature that actively protects users from online trackers or malware if we talk about features. It is one of the few best VPNs for FireStick with a Kill Switch feature, so it keeps you safe online even when a VPN connection drops.
All in all, Surfshark is easily one of the most effective yet affordable options for FireStick users available at $2.49/mo for its 2-years plan with 30-days money-back guarantee. But what really fascinates me is its unlimited device connection with a single account. For further details about this service, check out our Surfshark review.
How to Install Surfshark on Fire Stick / Fire TV
Install Surfshark on your device using this guide:
1. Purchase the Surfshark subscription and select Find > Search in the menu bar.
2. Search for Surshark’s app and download it.
3. Log in to the app and press Connect.
3. NordVPN – Strong Privacy and Unblocking Capability for Fire TV Users
Servers: 5400+ | Countries: 59 | Multi-Logins: 6 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.1 out of 5 | Price: $3.71/mo (68% Off)
NordVPN is super reliable and offers stable performance without any speed fluctuations, making for an awesome streaming experience for Fire TV users. It has an Amazon rating of 4.1 stars out of 5, which is great as well. NordVPN’s app file size varies between 38.1MB – 40.5MB, which is a bit on the heavier side. But regardless of size, it took me about 4 minutes to set up NordVPN on firestick.
NordVPN offers strong 256-bit encryption if we talk about features, so everything you stream on your FireStick device remains completely hidden. It also has the largest server network with 5400+ servers.
When testing its streaming performance, I was able to stream Netflix with NordVPN in HD quality easily. The good thing about NordVPN is that it is super affordable. Its 2-year plan costs $3.71/mo + 3 months free with 30-days money-back guarantee. It also offers a 7-day free trial, so you can fully test it out before purchasing. For further details about this service, check out our NordVPN detailed review.
How to install NordVPN on FireStick / Fire TV
Use the steps below for this:
1. Subscribe to NordVPN’s amazing deals and go to Find > Search.
2. Look up NordVPN’s app on your Fire Stick and download it. Log in and Connect.
4. PureVPN – Reliable VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick Streaming
Servers: 6500+ | Countries: 140+ | Multi-Logins: 10 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 3.5 out of 5 | Price: $3.33/mo – 70% Off
It has an Amazon rating of 3.5 stars out of 5 and works exceptionally well to streaming geo-restricted content. During testing, I was able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with ease. If we talk about streaming quality, I was able to enjoy my favorite shows in HD quality.
Using PureVPN on FireStick is super easy. Its app is very well designed and perfect for any newbie. It also comes with plenty of security features such as 256-bit encryption and even leak protection. As for pricing, It costs $3.33/mo . Despite being affordable, It gives you a 31-day money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our review of PureVPN.
How to install PureVPN on FireStick / Fire TV
1. Purchase PureVPN and select Find > Search.
2. Search for PureVPN’s app and download it.
3. Launch the app, sign into it and Connect to your desired server.
5. Private Internet Access VPN – Superior Usability for FireStick Users
Servers: 35,000+ | Countries: 77 | Multi-Logins: 10 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 4.0 out of 5 | Price: $2.69/mo (77% Off)
Next up, we have Private Internet Access. What makes it one of the best VPN for Fire TV is its massive server network. It currently offers 35,000+ servers in 77+ countries. PIA VPN has an amazing 4.0 out of 5 stars rating on the Amazon app store. Its app file size is only 24.1 MB, which requires less than 2 minutes to install PIA on FireStick.
PIA VPN’s user experience is unlike any other. It is super easy to set up and use on Fire Stick devices. Once I got PIA VPN installed on my Fire Stick device, I could unblock many popular streaming services with ease.
PIA VPN has no history of ever being involved in data retention or privacy-related scandals from a privacy standpoint.
Unlike ExpressVPN, PIA VPN is much more affordable. Not only does it offer 10-multi logins, but it only costs $2.69/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our Private Internet Access review.
How to install PIA VPN on FireStick / Fire TV:
1. Search for PIA VPN’s app after subscribing to it on your Fire Stick device.
2. Download the app once you find it.
3. Launch the app, sign into it, and Connect to the server you want.
6. CyberGhost VPN – Stream your favorite content on FireStick
Servers: 6800+ | Countries: 89 | Multi-Logins: 7 | Encryption: 256-bit | Amazon Rating: 3.6 out of 5 | Price: $2.25/mo (83% Off)
Lastly, CyberGhost is another decent VPN that offers a very well-designed dedicated app for Amazon FireStick devices. CyberGhost has a 3.6 out of 5 stars rating and is super easy to set up. It personally took me less than 5 minutes to install CyberGhost VPN on Fire TV Stick.
Once set up, CyberGhost lets you access a variety of geo-restricted streaming apps. CyberGhost offers various streaming optimized servers that work with streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
CyberGhost is much cheaper from an affordability standpoint than many other VPNs for FireStick in the industry. It costs only $2.25/mo and comes with 45-days money-back guarantee. For further details about this service, check out our CyberGhost review.
How to install Cyberghost on Fire Stick / Fire TV:
1. Look for Cyberghost’s app on your Fire Stick.
2. Once you’re done, download it.
3. Launch your Cyberghost app and sign in to it (Subscribe to its plan using your PC if you haven’t)
4. Connect to your desired server.
How to install a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick?
Let’s see the steps to install a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick, similar to installing an Android or iOS phone application.
Step 1: First, you need to subscribe with PureVPN or any other VPN service we have discussed above.
Step 2: Open FireStick Home > Go to Search option > Type PureVPN.
Step 3: Download and Open PureVPN.
Step 4: Sign In to PureVPN if you have already subscribed to the service or get a 7 Days Free Trial.
Step 5: PureVPN app on FireStick will now open.
Step 6: Select any country server, e.g., Australia.
Step 7: There is a separate section for apps if you scroll down. It lets you connect to US Netflix.
That is all you have to do to get connected with a VPN on your FireStick. Similarly, you can connect to any other country or preferred channel.
How to control mouse input on Fire Stick
The two most relevant options include using a Bluetooth mouse or the Mouse Toggle app.
Apps are slightly difficult to handle on Smart TVs with a remote. If you go through a similar struggle, then you can always go for an alternate.
The Mouse Toggle app will allow you to turn your smartphone into a mouse and use it for your Fire Stick. This app would cost you $2.99 which is actually pretty cheap. Once you’re done installing the app, enable ADB Debugging on your Fire TV and use the instructions on the app to turn it on.
Quick tips for geo-unblocking on Amazon Fire TV
With a VPN enabled on your device, you can unblock many geo-restricted services easily using one of the server locations offered by your VPN. Some tips include:
Change DNS settings on Amazon Fire TV
Often users face issues when changing their server location using a VPN on their Fire TV. One reason for this can be that the Fire TV sends DNS requests outside the VPN tunnel. You can solve this problem is by changing your DNS settings.
Get your DNS address from your VPN provider or from OpenNIC. Once you’re done, follow this guide:
1. Click Advanced on the menu where you enter your wifi password while connecting to your wifi for the first time. If you’re already connected to a network, press Forget Network.
2. Insert the IP address of your router but change the last digits and enter something between 2 to 255.
3. Enter your router IP address under Gateway.
4. Enter 24 under Network Prefix Length.
5. Insert your primary and secondary DNS addresses under DNS1 and DNS2.
6. Once you’re done, press Connect.
How to change your timezone on Amazon Fire TV
If you’re trying to access a geo-restricted service, then you might need to align your time with the country that you’re trying to connect to. You can do this by:
1. Go to Settings from the Home menu.
2. Choose System, then Timezone. Select the timezone of the country you want to connect to and enjoy.
How to change your Amazon account to your desired country
For some services, you might need to change your Amazon account to another country. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Go to Your Account and then Manage your content and devices.
2. Press Settings. Go to Country settings and press Change.
3. Enter a desired address of the location. For example, if you want to change your desired country to the US but don’t have any address to enter, then you can enter the address of any hotel.
4. Once you’re done, press Update.
Are all versions of Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV compatible with VPNs?
VPNs are not compatible with all versions of Fire Stick. The following versions of Fire Stick and Fire TV work with a VPN:
- Fire TV (all versions)
- Fire Stick (2nd generation and newer)
With the following devices, you can use a VPN that works with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.
The first generation of Fire Stick does not work with a VPN. Chances are, you don’t even own that version as it was discontinued back in 2016. If you’re still doubtful, just check the FCC ID code at the back of your Fire Stick.
How do I use a VPN on FireStick?
We mentioned in our criteria that we’re listing down all top VPNs that have their own Fire Stick apps. Here’s how you can use a VPN with your Fire Stick device:
Step 1: Open FireStick Home > Click on Settings.
Step 2: Select Applications > Then Manage Installed Applications.
Step 3: Choose the app you had installed. For instance, if you have installed Surfshark, then select the app and press Launch.
Step 4: Log in with Username and Password
Step 5: Once the app is opened, you can find any server location
Step 6: Surfshark will now be connected to the server
Step 7: Once connected, make sure you turn on the kill switch feature
If your chosen VPN does not offer an app on the Amazon App Store, then you can download it on your Fire Stick using the Android App APK file or by sideloading the app. If you own an older version of Fire Stick and cannot use any VPNs on it, then you can download the VPN on your router. You can also connect a VPN on your Android phone and cast stream the video on your Fire Stick device.
How to change Amazon Fire TV Stick regions
Here’s how you can change the region of your Fire Stick or Fire TV with a VPN:
1. Open the Amazon website on the browser of your computer.
2. Click Your Orders > Manage your content and devices.
3. Press the Settings tab. Visit country settings and click Change.
4. Insert an address you want to add. Search the web for an address if you don’t have one. Press Update.
How to Update a VPN on Fire TV Stick?
You might face one problem when sideloading VPN apps is that they do not receive automatic updates. Hence, I have outlined a simple method that will help you update sideloaded Fire Stick VPN apps:
- Open FireStick > Go to Settings.
- Select Applications > Then click on Manage Installed Applications.
- Find and click on the VPN app > Now click on Update (If there is an update, the icon will appear)
- Once updated, launch the app.
VPN not working on Fire Stick [Short TroubleShoot Guide]
If your best VPN for Fire Stick is not working, then there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Follow the steps below to do it:
- If a VPN for FireStick fails to connect, go to its settings and change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP)
- Restart Fire Stick device > Remove the plug > Re-plug and start using the device.
- If you experience slow streaming/browsing, try changing the server. E.g., if you’re connected to a US server, try changing it to a different city.
- Uninstall and re-install the VPN app
- Always communicate with customer support on the VPN provider’s website, and they will help you out.
FAQs – Best FireStick VPNs
Now that you know what the best VPNs for Fire Stick devices are, let’s check out some of the most frequently asked questions.
Do I need a VPN for Fire Stick?
Yes, you’d need a VPN on your FireStick to access all the streaming content, which is geo-restricted in your real location. You can also unblock geo-restricted streaming services like Hulu or BBC iPlayer easily on your Fire Stick device using a VPN.
Fire Stick is a portable device that can be taken anywhere. If you’re going on a holiday, then you can easily take Fire Stick with you and access geo-restricted content from back home to binge on using a VPN.
What is the best VPN for Fire Stick in 2021?
How to check if VPN is working on Fire Stick?
You can check if you have an active VPN connection to Fire Stick using your browser. Launch the browser through Fire TV and enter this address: http://iplookup.flagfox.net. This tool will show you details such as country, city, IP address, etc. If you correctly see the country whose server you’re connected to, your VPN is working on Fire Stick. Otherwise, there might be a problem.
Can I use a free VPN for Fire Stick?
If you’re looking for the best free VPN for Fire Stick, then you’re doing it all wrong. Free VPNs are compatible with Fire Stick devices. However, using a free VPN is slightly risky. You will have to deal with some limitations such as data caps, few servers, VPN logs, and annoying ads while using a free VPN.
Do VPNs work with all versions of Fire Stick?
Yes, VPNs can work with all versions of Fire Sticks and Fire TV except for the first generation of Fire TV Stick. If you own the first generation of Fire Stick, then you can install a VPN on your router instead and enjoy.
What happens if you don’t use a VPN on Fire Stick?
Without a VPN, you can access all functionalities and features of your Fire TV normally. However, you won’t be able to access geo-restricted apps or change your Amazon region. Moreover, VPNs make you more secure and guard your privacy on the Internet. When you use your Fire Stick without a VPN, you won’t be protected on the web.
Recommended VPN for FireStick in 2021
If you love binge-watching movies, TV shows, and documentaries without cable on your big screen TV, then an Amazon Fire Stick device should be your go-to choice. But, due to geo-restrictions, you might not be able to unleash its full streaming potential.
Fortunately, with the help of a VPN, you can enhance your streaming experience by accessing highly desirable streaming services from anywhere in the world. If you want to know my top recommendation for a VPN that works with Netflix and other services on Fire Stick, then I would suggest PureVPN. It is super affordable and works exceptionally well with FirevStick devices.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?