Amazon FireStick is arguably the simplest yet most powerful entertainment device out there. Unfortunately, due to geo-blocks, you won’t be able to enjoy popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. on your FireStick.
Fortunately, you can easily get over this annoying issue with the help of the best VPN for FireStick. We tested 160+ VPNs based on server speed, compatibility, unblocking ability, etc., and figured ExpressVPN as the top recommendation for FireStick users.
This guide will list 6 amazing VPNs for FireStick in 2022 that can help you unblock your favorite content on Amazon FireStick from any location in the world.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
The Best VPN for FireStick [Video Guide]
Best VPN for FireStick (April 2022 In-Depth Analysis)
We have listed these best FireStick VPNs based on their speed, encryption, and dedicated FireStick apps. You can consider using these VPNs for unhindered streaming on Amazon Fire TV Stick in 2022:
1. The Best VPN for FireStick – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly one of the best VPNs for FireStick. What makes it the best is its unblocking capabilities. ExpressVPN is known to bypass even the toughest geo-restriction mechanisms in place, bringing you access to all sorts of content of your choice. We tested it with Netflix, Hbo Max, Disney Plus, and other services, and it worked flawlessly.
The cool thing about ExpressVPN is that it does not keep any logs, as discussed in our logging guide. Their servers have been tested on many occasions, and never have they been found to store any information.
It further protects you on your FireStick by not leaking your IP address through its DNS leak protection feature. It offers a kill switch, split tunneling, AES 256-bit encryption, and more.
ExpressVPN also comes with a fantastic MediaStreamer (SmartDNS) feature that bypasses geo-restrictions within seconds while offering blazing-fast speeds to users.
Although it is on the pricier side, it is totally worth getting. ExpressVPNs starts from $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan) and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days.
It has a good rating on the Amazon app store (4.0 stars out of 5.0). ExpressVPN is also quite lightweight. It occupies only 32.2 MB of space and takes only a few minutes to download and set up ExpressVPN on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our ExpressVPN review.
- Works great with Amazon FireStick 2nd generation and above.
- Offers 3000+ super-fast servers.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Best security and privacy features include a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Unblocks all popular streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.
- Pricier than other VPNs.
2. Budget-friendly VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – Surfshark
Surfshark is a high-quality cheap VPN for FireStick. It easily unblocks Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, and other services on FireStick if we talk about its unblocking capabilities. Surfshark is fast, too, hence why it is good for streaming. we managed to stream a bunch of shows in HD quality without any buffering issues.
Surfshark comes with a CleanWeb feature that actively protects users from online trackers or malware if we talk about features. It is one of the few best VPNs for FireStick with a kill switch feature, so it keeps you safe online even when your VPN connection drops accidentally.
It further offers MultiHop, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, Whitelister, and many other features to keep users protected while enjoying geo-restricted services on FireStick. It also comes with a strict zero-logging policy, ensuring that it wouldn’t collect user logs at all.
All in all, Surfshark is easily one of the most effective yet affordable options for FireStick users available at $2.30/mo (82% Off on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan) for its 2-years plan with 30-days money-back guarantee.
One amazing feature is its ability to offer unlimited device connections on a single account. It is one of the most popular affordable VPNs for FireSticks.
It has a good Amazon rating of 4.1 stars out of 5 and is ranked #4 under top security apps. Surfshark also offers a dedicated app for FireStick devices. Its app consumes only 48.9 MB of space and allows users to set up Surfshark on FireStick easily.
For further details about this service, check out our Surfshark review.
- Compatible with 4K, 2nd, and 3rd generations of FireStick.
- Unblocks all popular services like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, NBC, and more.
- Super-affordable price of $2.49 with an 81% discount.
- Offers unlimited connections.
- Inefficient customer service.
3. Secure VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – NordVPN
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for Amazon FireStick. It is super reliable and offers stable performance without any speed fluctuations, leading to an awesome streaming experience for Fire TV users. When testing its streaming performance, we were able to stream Netflix, Hulu, NBC, CraveTV, etc. with NordVPN in HD quality easily.
NordVPN offers strong 256-bit encryption if we talk about features, so everything you stream on your FireStick device remains completely hidden. Being a secure VPN, it also offers obfuscated servers so your ISP will never know that you’re using a VPN.
It further offers a kill switch, DNS leak protection, no-logs policy, and more for you to be safe while using NordVPN on FireStick.
The good thing about NordVPN is that it is super affordable. You can get its 2-year plan available at a price of $3.49/mo (Save 70% on 2 Years Plan + Extra Subscription) and you can cancel NordVPN and get money-back within 30 Days.
It also offers a NordVPN 7-day free trial, so you can fully test it out before purchasing.
It has an Amazon rating of 4.1 stars out of 5.0, which is great as well. NordVPN’s app file size varies between 38.1MB – 44.8MB, which is slightly heavier than ExpressVPN’s app. But regardless of size, you can set up NordVPN on FireStick easily in just a few minutes
For further details about this service, check out our NordVPN detailed review.
- Dedicated app for FireStick 4K, 2nd, and 3rd generations.
- Unblocks popular streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more.
- Offers over 5200 servers.
- Efficient 24/7 customer support.
- Top-notch security and privacy features such as zero-logs and a kill switch.
- The app is slow.
- OpenVPN configuration is not user-friendly.
4. The Fastest VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – IPVanish
IPVanish is the fastest VPN for FireStick with super-fast speeds of 81 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. It is our top choice for FireStick, Fire TV, and Fire TV Cube devices in 2022.
IPVanish works exceptionally well to stream geo-restricted content. During testing, we were able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with ease. If we talk about streaming quality, we were able to enjoy our favorite shows in HD quality.
Using IPVanish on FireStick is super easy. Its app is very well designed and perfect for any newbie. It also comes with plenty of security features such as 256-bit encryption, kill switch, split tunneling, and even leak protection.
As for pricing, It costs $3.75/mo . Despite being affordable, it gives you a 30-day money-back guarantee to help you test the service risk-free.
Along with an Amazon rating of 4.0 stars out of 5.0, the best thing about IPVanish is that its app is super easy to use. It only consumes 32.7 MB of space, which is exceptional. It only took me just a few minutes to install IPVanish on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our review of IPVanish.
- Compatible with 2nd and above generations of FireStick.
- Offers a wide range of security features like MultiHop, CleanWeb, and more.
- Offers 1900+ servers across 75+ locations.
- Can connect unlimited devices simultaneously.
- Headquartered in the US.
- Bad customer support.
5. User-friendly VPN for FireStick – CyberGhost
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN for FireStick. Once set up, CyberGhost lets you access a variety of geo-restricted streaming apps. CyberGhost offers various streaming optimized servers for users to unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more.
When it comes to features, then CyberGhost offers some reliable security features for all its devices including FireStick. These include AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a no-logs policy. Furthermore, its app is great for all newbie and advanced VPN users.
CyberGhost is much cheaper from an affordability standpoint than many other VPNs for FireStick in the industry. It costs only $2.29/mo and comes with 45-days money-back guarantee.
This VPN offers a very well-designed dedicated app for Amazon FireStick devices. CyberGhost has a 3.5 out of 5.0 stars rating and is super easy to set up. It only takes a few minutes to install CyberGhost VPN on Fire TV Stick.
For further details about this service, check out our CyberGhost review.
- Compatible with FireStick generations 2nd and above.
- Cool security features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Offers 7 simultaneous connections.
- 7000+ servers are available.
- Not as speedy as the rest of the VPNs.
6. Extensive Server Network for Amazon Fire TV Stick – PIA
Lastly, we have Private Internet Access for Amazon Fire TV Stick. What makes it one of the best VPN for Fire TV is its massive server network. It currently offers 35000+ servers in 80 countries.
PIA VPN’s user experience is unlike any other. It is super easy to set up and use on FireStick devices. Once you get PIA VPN installed on your FireStick device, you will be able to unblock many popular streaming services with ease such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
PIA has no history of ever being involved in data retention or privacy-related scandals from a privacy standpoint. It further offers some efficient features that make PIA a great VPN for streaming on FireStick. Some of these include AES 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and more.
PIA is one of the cheapest VPNs for FireStick. Not only does it offer 10-multi logins, but it only costs $2.03/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PIA VPN has an amazing 4.0 out of 5.0 stars rating on the Amazon app store. Its app file size is only 24.2 MB, which doesn’t require too much time to install PIA on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our Private Internet Access review.
- Compatible with FireStick 2nd generation and above.
- Effective zero logs policy.
- Up to 10 multi-logins.
- Offers over 35500 server locations.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Mixed reviews of its customer support.
What to Look for in the Best FireStick VPN?
There are multiple things that the best FireStick VPNs should offer. The first is a dedicated application for FireStick. All the VPNs we mentioned above offer native apps that are available in the Amazon App Store.
In case a VPN doesn’t, there’s always an option to sideload the app, but we recommend you stick to one with a compatible app.
The next aspects that are crucial to check are robust connection speeds and privacy features. One shouldn’t compromise on powerful security if there are fantastic VPNs like ExpressVPN that offer it.
Finally, subscribing to any of the VPNs above would let you connect to more than a single device. This way, along with keeping your FireStick secure and accessing geo-restricted content on it, you can do the same with your phones and laptops.
How Do I Get a VPN on my FireStick?
Here’s how you can get a VPN on Amazon FireStick:
1. First, you need to subscribe to a reliable VPN service (We highly recommend ExpressVPN).
2. Open FireStick Home > Go to Search option > Type ExpressVPN.
3. Download and Open ExpressVPN.
4. Sign In to ExpressVPN if you have already subscribed to the service.
5. ExpressVPN’s app on FireStick will now open.
6. Select any country server, for example, Australia, France, Germany, etc, and click Connect.
7. Once connected, make sure you turn on the kill switch feature.
That is all you have to do to get connected with a VPN on your FireStick. If your chosen VPN does not offer an app on the Amazon App Store, then you can download it on your FireStick using the Android App APK file or by sideloading the app.
If you own an older version of FireStick and cannot use any VPNs on it, then you can download the VPN on your router.
Why Do You Need a VPN for FireStick and How It Helps?
With rapidly increasing security concerns, there is a significant need to remain connected to a VPN at all times. And what’s better than streaming your favorite content on your favorite streaming platforms without any restrictions? So, below you will find 4 significant reasons why you need a VPN for FireStick:
1. Access geo-restricted content: A premium VPN would allow you to access geo-restricted content libraries from across the world with no hassles. You can use a VPN that works with Netflix and enjoy its geo-restricted content. You can also unblock streaming services like Amazon Prime and enjoy.
If you don’t know, countries like China enforce strict geo-blocks to prevent people from accessing foreign content. This is why so many people use VPNs. With the help of a FireStick VPN, you’ll be able to access any content of your choice on your FireStick device, even if you’re in China.
2. ISP throttling: Often, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limits your internet bandwidth, resulting in a slow connection. A VPN eliminates ISP throttling allows you to stream services and content on your FireStick without any loading or buffering.
3. Online monitoring: It might seem odd, but do you know that your ISP can see everything you do online? Believe it or not, your internet service provider knows exactly what you stream on your FireStick device. But with the help of a VPN, you can encrypt your network traffic and prevent anyone from viewing your browsing activities.
4. Legal problems: You can easily set up Kodi and many other services on your Fire TV anytime. These services offer free and often copyrighted content. To avoid getting into any legal trouble, one needs the best VPN service for FireStick. Please note that we don’t encourage consuming copyrighted content illegally.
Can’t install a VPN on Fire TV Stick from Amazon Store? Try This Solution!
If you face any trouble installing a VPN app on your FireStick, just use the Downloader app to download the APK file.
Here’s how you can do that:
Quick Tips for Geo-unblocking on Amazon Fire TV
With a VPN enabled on your device, you can unblock many geo-restricted services easily using one of the server locations offered by your VPN. Some tips include:
Are All Versions of Amazon FireStick and Fire TV Compatible with VPNs?
VPNs are not compatible with all versions of FireStick. The following versions of FireStick and Fire TV work with a VPN:
- Fire TV (All versions)
- FireStick (2nd generation and 3rd generation)
With the following devices, you can use a VPN that works with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.
The first generation of FireStick does not work with a VPN. Chances are, you don’t even own that version, as it was discontinued back in 2016. If you’re still doubtful, just check the FCC ID code at the back of your FireStick.
How to Change Amazon Fire TV Stick Regions
Here’s how you can change the region of your FireStick or Fire TV with a VPN:
1. Open the Amazon website on the browser of your computer.
2. Click Your Orders > Manage your content and devices.
3. Press the Settings tab. Visit country settings and click Change.
4. Insert an address you want to add. Search the web for an address if you don’t have one. Press Update.
Major Apps that you can use with Amazon Fire TV Stick
Here are some of the major FireStick apps that you can install on our Amazon Fire TV Stick:
- HBO Max
- Amazon Prime
VPN Not working on FireStick? 5 Quick Solutions
If your best VPN for Fire TV Stick is not working, then there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Follow the steps below to do it:
- If a VPN for FireStick fails to connect, go to its settings and change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP).
- Restart FireStick device > Remove the plug > Re-plug and start using the device.
- If you experience slow streaming/browsing, try changing the server. For example, if you’re connected to a US server, try changing it to a different country server.
- Uninstall and re-install the VPN app.
- Always communicate with customer support on the VPN provider’s website, and they will help you out.
Free VPN vs Paid VPN: What is a Better Option for Firestick?
There are multiple disadvantages of using a free VPN on FireStick, especially while accessing geo-restricted content for streaming.
First, free VPNs often do not work with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services. And even if they do, users are restricted with data caps and speed throttling.
When it comes to safe and user-friendly free VPNs for FireStick, the choices are quite limited. However, the options are better when it comes to the paid options.
To summarize, a paid virtual private network is recommended for FireStick. However, if you’re hesitant, then you can always take advantage of the money-back guarantees they offer for testing out the VPNs. You can also enjoy the best VPN for FireStick free trials if they offer it.
What’s the Cheapest VPN for Firestick and Fire TV?
The cheapest VPN for FireStick that offers high-quality service is Surfshark. You might be able to find many other VPNs that are cheaper than Surfshark, but they won’t offer you the best quality. Cheap VPN services come at a price of reliability and speed.
You can get Surfshark at a price of only $2.30/mo (82% Off on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan). It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for testing out the service.
Amazon Fire TV vs. Roku: How Do They Differ?
Amazon Fire TVs and Roku devices are quite similar to each other. Both of them allow you to stream content on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services. However, both Roku and Amazon Fire TV differ in the selection of channels and apps as well as user interfaces.
FAQs – Best VPN for Fire Stick
Now that you know what the best VPNs for FireStick devices are, let’s check out some of the most frequently asked questions.
Yes, using a VPN on FireStick is absolutely worth it as it allows users to unblock geo-restricted streaming services from across the world, including Hulu, Amazon Prime, DAZN, Disney Plus, and more. It also allows you to securely change Netflix region and access any Netflix library you prefer.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN in the industry as it offers great quality applications for all devices, including FireStick. It’s also super-reliable and offers a great streaming experience on every Fire TV device.
So, if you jailbreak your Firestick to watch copyrighted or geo-restricted content, you can be in trouble. If that’s all you need, be sure you’re using a reliable VPN. Because a VPN gives you ultimate online privacy.
The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a streaming device that changes your normal TV into a smart one. It allows users to stream their favorite movies and TV shows from the best services like HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime.
Using the guide below, you can learn how to install VPN on FireStick /Fire TV and use it:
- Visit the Amazon App Store on your FireStick.
- Search for a VPN you want.
- Install the VPN app on your device.
- Start it and connect to a server you desire.
No, all free VPNs for FireStick have certain limitations. They’re either unable to unblock streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, block P2P traffic, or limit data usage. In short, the free VPN apps for FireStick do not perform as well as the paid FireStick VPNs.
The Best VPN for FireStick – Wrapping Up!
If you love binge-watching movies, TV shows, and documentaries without cable on your big screen TV, then an Amazon FireStick device should be your go-to choice. But, due to geo-restrictions, you might not be able to unleash its full streaming potential.
Fortunately, with the help of the best VPN for FireStick, you can enhance your streaming experience by accessing highly desirable streaming services from anywhere in the world.
If you want to know our top recommendation for a VPN that works with Netflix and other services on FireStick, then we would suggest ExpressVPN. It is super reliable, affordable, unparalleled, easy-to-use, and works exceptionally well with FireStick devices.