Amazon FireStick is arguably the simplest yet most powerful entertainment device out there. Unfortunately, due to geo-blocks, you won’t be able to enjoy popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. on your FireStick.
Fortunately, you can easily get over this annoying issue with the help of the best VPN for FireStick. We tested 50+ Best VPNs based on server speed, compatibility, unblocking ability, etc., and figured ExpressVPN as the top recommendation for FireStick users.
This guide will list 6 amazing VPNs for FireStick in 2021 that can help you unblock your favourite content on Amazon FireStick from any location in the world.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Best VPN for FireStick (October 2021 In-Depth Analysis)
We have listed these best FireStick VPNs based on their speed, encryption, and dedicated FireStick apps. You can consider using these VPNs for unhindered streaming on Amazon Fire TV Stick in 2021:
1. The Best VPN for FireStick – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly one of the best VPNs for FireStick. What makes it the best is its unblocking capabilities. ExpressVPN is known to bypass even the toughest geo-restriction mechanisms in place, bringing you access to all sorts of content of your choice. We tested it with Netflix, Disney Plus, and other services, and it worked flawlessly.
The cool thing about ExpressVPN is that it does not keep any logs, as discussed in our logging guide. Their servers have been tested on many occasions, and never have they been found to store any information.
It further protects you on your FireStick by not leaking your IP address through its DNS leak protection feature. It offers a kill switch, split tunnelling, AES 256-bit encryption, and more.
ExpressVPN also comes with a fantastic MediaStreamer (SmartDNS) feature that bypasses geo-restrictions within seconds while offering blazing-fast speeds to users.
Although it is on the pricier side, it is totally worth getting. ExpressVPNs starts from $6.67/mo and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days.
It has a good rating on the Amazon app store (4.0 stars out of 5.0). ExpressVPN is also quite lightweight. It occupies only 32.2 MB space and takes only a few minutes to download and set up ExpressVPN on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our ExpressVPN review.
- Works great with Amazon FireStick 2nd generation and above.
- Offers 3000+ super-fast servers.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Best security and privacy features including a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Unblocks all popular streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.
- Pricier than other VPNs.
2. Budget-friendly VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – Surfshark
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. It easily unblocks Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, and other services on FireStick if we talk about its unblocking capabilities. Surfshark is fast, too, hence why it is good for streaming. we managed to stream a bunch of shows in HD quality without any buffering issues.
Surfshark comes with a CleanWeb feature that actively protects users from online trackers or malware if we talk about features. It is one of the few best VPNs for FireStick with a kill switch feature, so it keeps you safe online even when your VPN connection drops accidentally.
It further offers MultiHop, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, Whitelister, and many other features to keep users protected while enjoying geo-restricted services on FireStick. It also comes with a strict zero-logging policy, ensuring that it wouldn’t collect user logs at all.
All in all, Surfshark is easily one of the most effective yet affordable options for FireStick users available at $2.49/mo for its 2-years plan with 30-days money-back guarantee.
One amazing feature is its ability to offer unlimited device connections on a single account. It is one of the most popular affordable VPNs for FireSticks.
It has a good Amazon rating of 4.1 stars out of 5 and is ranked #4 under top security apps. Surfshark also offers a dedicated app for FireStick devices. Its app consumes only 48.9 MB of space and allows users to set up Surfshark on FireStick easily.
For further details about this service, check out our Surfshark review.
- Compatible with 4K, 2nd, and 3rd generations of FireStick.
- Unblocks all popular services like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, NBC, and more.
- Super-affordable price of $2.49 with an 81% discount.
- Offers unlimited connections.
- Inefficient customer service.
3. Secure VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – NordVPN
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for Amazon FireStick. It is super reliable and offers stable performance without any speed fluctuations, leading to an awesome streaming experience for Fire TV users. When testing its streaming performance, we were able to stream Netflix, Hulu, NBC, CraveTV, etc. with NordVPN in HD quality easily.
NordVPN offers strong 256-bit encryption if we talk about features, so everything you stream on your FireStick device remains completely hidden. Being a secure VPN, it also offers obfuscated servers so your ISP will never know that you’re using a VPN.
It further offers a kill switch, DNS leak protection, no-logs policy, and more for you to be safe while using NordVPN on FireStick.
The good thing about NordVPN is that it is super affordable. You can get its 2-year plan available at a price of $3.30/mo (VPN Awareness Month - 2 year plan at 72% off + 3 months FREE) and you can cancel NordVPN and get money-back within 30 Days.
It also offers a NordVPN 7-day free trial, so you can fully test it out before purchasing.
It has an Amazon rating of 4.1 stars out of 5.0, which is great as well. NordVPN’s app file size varies between 38.1MB – 44.8MB, which is slightly heavier than ExpressVPN’s app. But regardless of size, you can set up NordVPN on FireStick easily in just a few minutes
For further details about this service, check out our NordVPN detailed review.
- Dedicated app for FireStick 4K, 2nd, and 3rd generations.
- Unblocks popular streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more.
- Over 5200 servers offered.
- Efficient 24/7 customer support.
- Top-notch security and privacy feature such as zero-logs and a kill switch.
- The app is slow.
- OpenVPN configuration is not user-friendly.
4. The Fastest VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick – IPVanish
IPVanish is the fastest VPN for FireStick with super-fast speeds of 81 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. It is our top choice for FireStick, Fire TV, and Fire TV Cube devices in 2021.
IPVanish works exceptionally well to stream geo-restricted content. During testing, we were able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with ease. If we talk about streaming quality, we were able to enjoy our favourite shows in HD quality.
Using IPVanish on FireStick is super easy. Its app is very well designed and perfect for any newbie. It also comes with plenty of security features such as 256-bit encryption, kill switch, split tunnelling, and even leak protection.
As for pricing, It costs $3.75/mo . Despite being affordable, it gives you a 30-day money-back guarantee to help you test the service risk-free.
Along with an Amazon rating of 4.0 stars out of 5.0, the best thing about IPVanish is that its app is super easy to use. It only consumes 32.7 MB of space, which is exceptional. It only took me just a few minutes to install IPVanish on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our review of IPVanish.
- Compatible with 2nd and above generations of FireStick.
- Offers a wide range of security features like MultiHop, CleanWeb, and more.
- Offers 1900+ servers across 75+ locations.
- Can connect unlimited devices simultaneously.
- Headquartered in the US.
- Bad customer support.
5. User-friendly VPN for FireStick – CyberGhost
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN for FireStick. Once set up, CyberGhost lets you access a variety of geo-restricted streaming apps. CyberGhost offers various streaming optimized servers for users to unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more.
When it comes to features, then CyberGhost offers some reliable security features for all its devices including FireStick. These include AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a no-logs policy. Furthermore, its app is great for all newbie and advanced VPN users.
CyberGhost is much cheaper from an affordability standpoint than many other VPNs for FireStick in the industry. It costs only $2.25/mo and comes with 45-days money-back guarantee.
This VPN offers a very well-designed dedicated app for Amazon FireStick devices. CyberGhost has a 3.5 out of 5.0 stars rating and is super easy to set up. It only takes a few minutes to install CyberGhost VPN on Fire TV Stick.
For further details about this service, check out our CyberGhost review.
- Compatible with FireStick generations 2nd and above.
- Cool security features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Offers 7 simultaneous connections.
- 7000+ servers available.
- Not as speedy as the rest of the VPNs.
6. Extensive Server Network for Amazon Fire TV Stick – PIA
Lastly, we have Private Internet Access for Amazon Fire TV Stick. What makes it one of the best VPN for Fire TV is its massive server network. It currently offers 35500+ servers in 78 countries.
PIA VPN’s user experience is unlike any other. It is super easy to set up and use on FireStick devices. Once you get PIA VPN installed on your FireStick device, you will be able to unblock many popular streaming services with ease such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
PIA has no history of ever being involved in data retention or privacy-related scandals from a privacy standpoint. It further offers some efficient features that make PIA a great VPN for streaming on FireStick. Some of these include AES 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and more.
PIA is one of the cheapest VPNs for FireStick. Not only does it offer 10-multi logins, but it only costs $2.08/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PIA VPN has an amazing 4.0 out of 5.0 stars rating on the Amazon app store. Its app file size is only 24.2 MB, which doesn’t require too much time to install PIA on FireStick.
For further details about this service, check out our Private Internet Access review.
- Compatible with FireStick 2nd generation and above.
- Effective zero logs policy.
- Up to 10 multi-logins.
- Offers over 35500 server locations.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Mixed reviews of its customer support.
The Best VPN for FireStick [Video Guide]
Our testing methodology for the best FireStick VPN
We’ve selected the best VPNs for FireStick according to this ranking criteria:
- Dedicated apps – The VPN offers a downloadable app designed for Fire TV and FireStick devices.
- Speedy connection – Fast performance to enable high-quality streams with minimal buffering on FireStick and Fire TV.
- Reliability – Offers a reliable and stable service with no bugs and connection drops.
- Simple interface – The app should be easy to use, especially for beginners.
- Bypass geo-blocks – Should be able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services on FireStick.
- Security and privacy features – Should offer no logs, 256-bit encryption, leak protection, etc.
- Multi-logins – Should offer more than a single connection on one account.
- Compatibility: The VPN is compatible with other OS and devices aside from FireStick like Kodi, Android, macOS, Windows, iOS, Roku, and more.
- Reputable service: The service has a good reputation and reviews.
How to Install and Use a VPN on Amazon FireStick?
Let’s see the steps to install and use a VPN on Amazon FireStick:
1. First, you need to subscribe to a reliable VPN service (We highly recommend ExpressVPN).
2. Open FireStick Home > Go to Search option > Type ExpressVPN.
3. Download and Open ExpressVPN.
4. Sign In to ExpressVPN if you have already subscribed to the service.
5. ExpressVPN’s app on FireStick will now open.
6. Select any country server, for example, Australia, France, Germany, etc, and click Connect.
7. Once connected, make sure you turn on the kill switch feature.
That is all you have to do to get connected with a VPN on your FireStick. If your chosen VPN does not offer an app on the Amazon App Store, then you can download it on your FireStick using the Android App APK file or by sideloading the app.
If you own an older version of FireStick and cannot use any VPNs on it, then you can download the VPN on your router.
Why Do You Need a VPN for FireStick and How It Helps?
With rapidly increasing security concerns, there is a significant need to remain connected to a VPN at all times. And what’s better than streaming your favorite content on your favorite streaming platforms without any restrictions? So, below you will find 4 significant reasons why you need a VPN for FireStick:
1. Access geo-restricted content: A premium VPN would allow you to access geo-restricted content libraries from across the world with no hassles. You can use a VPN that works with Netflix and enjoy its geo-restricted content. You can also unblock streaming services like Amazon Prime and enjoy.
If you don’t know, countries like China enforce strict geo-blocks to prevent people from accessing foreign content. This is why so many people use VPNs. With the help of a FireStick VPN, you’ll be able to access any content of your choice on your FireStick device, even if you’re in China.
2. ISP throttling: Often, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limits your internet bandwidth, resulting in a slow connection. A VPN eliminates ISP throttling allows you to stream services and content on your FireStick without any loading or buffering.
3. Online monitoring: It might seem odd, but do you know that your ISP can see everything you do online? Believe it or not, your internet service provider knows exactly what you stream on your FireStick device. But with the help of a VPN, you can encrypt your network traffic and prevent anyone from viewing your browsing activities.
4. Legal problems: You can easily set up Kodi and many other services on your Fire TV anytime. These services offer free and often copyrighted content. To avoid getting into any legal trouble, one needs the best VPN service for FireStick. Please note that we don’t encourage consuming copyrighted content illegally.
Can’t install VPN on Fire TV Stick from Amazon Store? Try This Solution!
If you face any trouble installing a VPN app on your FireStick, just use the Downloader app to download the APK file.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Visit Settings > My Fire TV. Then click Developer Options.
- Go to the search bar and search for Downloader. Once found, click download.
- Once you’re done, enable Downloader to access photos, media, and files on your device.
- Insert the URL of your VPN’s APK file. ( Ask your chosen VPN’s customer support for it.)
- Finally, press Go and install the file.
Quick tips for geo-unblocking on Amazon Fire TV
With a VPN enabled on your device, you can unblock many geo-restricted services easily using one of the server locations offered by your VPN. Some tips include:
Are all versions of Amazon FireStick and Fire TV compatible with VPNs?
VPNs are not compatible with all versions of FireStick. The following versions of FireStick and Fire TV work with a VPN:
- Fire TV (All versions)
- FireStick (2nd generation and 3rd generation)
With the following devices, you can use a VPN that works with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.
The first generation of FireStick does not work with a VPN. Chances are, you don’t even own that version, as it was discontinued back in 2016. If you’re still doubtful, just check the FCC ID code at the back of your FireStick.
How to change Amazon Fire TV Stick regions
Here’s how you can change the region of your FireStick or Fire TV with a VPN:
1. Open the Amazon website on the browser of your computer.
2. Click Your Orders > Manage your content and devices.
3. Press the Settings tab. Visit country settings and click Change.
4. Insert an address you want to add. Search the web for an address if you don’t have one. Press Update.
How to update a VPN on Fire TV Stick?
You might face one problem when sideloading VPN apps is that they do not receive automatic updates. Hence, I have outlined a simple method that will help you update sideloaded FireStick VPN apps:
- Open FireStick > Go to Settings.
- Select Applications > Then click on Manage Installed Applications.
- Find and click on the VPN app > Now click on Update (If there is an update, the icon will appear)
- Once updated, launch the app.
Major apps that you can use with Amazon Fire TV Stick
Here are some of the major FireStick apps that you can install on our Amazon Fire TV Stick
- HBO Max
- Amazon Prime
VPN not working on FireStick? 5 Quick Solutions
If your best VPN for Fire TV Stick is not working, then there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Follow the steps below to do it:
- If a VPN for FireStick fails to connect, go to its settings and change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP).
- Restart FireStick device > Remove the plug > Re-plug and start using the device.
- If you experience slow streaming/browsing, try changing the server. For example, if you’re connected to a US server, try changing it to a different country server.
- Uninstall and re-install the VPN app.
- Always communicate with customer support on the VPN provider’s website, and they will help you out.
FAQs – Best VPN for FireStick
Now that you know what the best VPNs for FireStick devices are, let’s check out some of the most frequently asked questions.
You can check if you have an active VPN connection on FireStick using your browser. Launch the browser through Fire TV and enter this address: http://iplookup.flagfox.net. This tool will show you details such as country, city, IP address, etc. If you correctly see the country whose server you’re connected to, your VPN is working on FireStick. Otherwise, there might be a problem.
Yes, you’d need a VPN on your FireStick to access all the streaming content, which is geo-restricted in your real location. With a VPN, you’ll be able to unblock geo-restricted streaming services like Hulu or BBC iPlayer easily on your FireStick device.
IPVanish is the fastest VPN to use on FireStick as it offers blazing fast speeds on all its servers and unblocks all popular streaming services including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, etc. within seconds.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN app for Fire TV Stick with an Amazon App Store rating of 4.0 stars out of 5.0. It’s further compatible with both 2nd and 3rd generations of FireStick and offers a lightweight app of only 32.2MB.
Yes, but we don’t recommend using one. Free VPNs are compatible with FireStick devices but are slightly risky. You will have to deal with some limitations such as data caps, few servers, VPN logs, and annoying ads while using a free VPN. Additionally, not all free VPNs work with Netflix and other streaming services on FireStick.
It is neither safe nor recommended to jailbreak your FireStick. Although it totally depends on your purpose. For example, if you want to get more flexibility and user-friendliness, you may continue with jailbreak. Still, for other purposes such as getting a movie subscription, we do not recommend it.
The Best VPN for FireStick – Wrapping Up!
If you love binge-watching movies, TV shows, and documentaries without cable on your big screen TV, then an Amazon FireStick device should be your go-to choice. But, due to geo-restrictions, you might not be able to unleash its full streaming potential.
Fortunately, with the help of the best VPN for FireStick, you can enhance your streaming experience by accessing highly desirable streaming services from anywhere in the world.
If you want to know our top recommendation for a VPN that works with Netflix and other services on FireStick, then we would suggest ExpressVPN. It is super reliable, affordable, unparalleled, easy-to-use, and works exceptionally well with FireStick devices.