Sony PS4 is a masterpiece of perfection in the world of gaming and on-demand entertainment. The PlayStation 4 is the most powerful gaming console ever launched in the history of gaming.
Nonetheless, it still manages to annoy and frustrate gamers when they encounter region-restricted gaming titles, gameplay lag, and hackers roaming scot-free on gaming servers.
In this blog, you will learn how to setup a VPN for PS4 and how it can improve your gameplay, security, and overall access to media services and gaming titles. While installing any VPN on PS4 like NordVPN, PureVPN, Surfhark, Ivacy, ExpressVPN, and CyberGhost the setup will be the same.
PureVPN is our recommended choice because it delivers 2000+ servers in 140+ countries along with extremely affordable pricing ( $1.65/mo ).
How to Configure a VPN on PS4?
If you’re wondering how to use VPN on PS4, let me assure you its relatively easy.
You can achieve your VPN installation on PS4 objective by three methods for any VPN service like NordVPN, PureVPN, Surfshark, Ivacy, ExpressVPN, and Cyberghost.
I have created an easy step-by-step tutorial explaining different PS4 VPN setup.
Using anyone of these approaches, you can configure a VPN on your gaming console in a matter of seconds.
Note: For our setup guides, we will use PureVPN to demonstrate the whole installation process.
Top three VPN setup on PS4 are as follows:
Method #1: How to setup PS4 VPN through Windows PC?
Here is how you can install a VPN through PC Windows.
- First, download and install one of the specified VPN services on your computer
- Launch VPN and connect to US server
- Now, use the crossover cable to connect PS4 with your computer
- Go to Control Panel of your system and click on Network and Sharing Center
- From the left pane of the window, select Change adapter settings
- Now, right-click on the icon of the VPN you are using. And click on Properties
- In the properties window, click on Sharing tab and mark enable the option for Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Now tap on the drop-down menu of Home Networking Connection. And select a connection that you want to share with your console
- Next, click on OK
- Access XMB menu of PS4 and go to Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use a LAN Cable when asked and make sure to put connection method as Easy
- Next, tap on Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked
- Finally, proceed by accepting all the settings, select Test Connection and you’re done with setting up your PS4 VPN on Windows
Method #2: How to setup VPN on PS4 through MAC?
Besides windows, users can setup a VPN through MAC for PS4 by following these simple steps:
- Choose from one of the mentioned VPN services, download and install it on your Mac
- Use a crossover cable to connect PS4 with your system
- Now, from the bottom of the screen, go to System Preferences>Sharing
- In Sharing page, click on Internet Sharing
- Click on the drop-down menu of Share Your Connection From, and select a source of your internet connection i.e. either Ethernet, AirPort or Wireless
- Now, click on the drop-down menu of To Computer Using and choose Ethernet
- Mark enable the checkbox next to Internet Sharing
- Next, the Internet Sharing icon will turn green and sharing will be started
- Access and log into VPN app on your Mac system, go to servers list and select a desired country to connect
- Now, from the XMB menu on your PS4, go to Settings>Network Settings>Setup Internet Connection
- Next, choose Use a LAN Cable when asked
- Choose the connection method as
- Finally, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server and proceed by accepting all settings. Make sure to perform Test Connection and you’re done with setting VPN on PS4 through Mac
Method #3: How to setup PS4 VPN through Wi-Fi Router?
If you want to run PS4 with the help of a VPN, here are the setup instructions using a Wi-Fi Router.
You can use a VPN through flashing Wi-Fi router. But will require a provider that supports Wi-Fi routers. Interestingly, PureVPN is among providers who support a range of Wi-Fi routers.
Here is how you can setup a VPN through flash routers:
- Go to XMB menu of PS4 and select Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use Wi-Fi when asked
- Select the connection method as Easy if asked
- Select your Wireless internet connection and enter your username & password
- Make sure to click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server
- Lastly, proceed by accepting all settings and click on Test Connection
6 Best VPNs for PS4
Here is the list of PS4 VPN client that delivers the best in class features:
- PureVPN ($1.65/month)
- Surfshark ($1.99/month)
- Ivacy ($1.99/month)
- ExpressVPN ($8.32/month)
- CyberGhost ($2.75/month)
- NordVPN ($3.49/month)
1. PureVPN – Cheapest PS4 VPN App ( $1.65/mo )
Number of Servers: 2000+ | Server Locations: 140+ | IP Addresses: 300,000+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 5
PureVPN allows you to select an IP address from any of these 140+ countries and access game servers from anywhere in the world.
The security features of PureVPN are state-of-the-art, as it uses advanced OpenVPN protocol for encryption.
Thus, PureVPN is a complete package and the best VPN for PS4 available in the market.
PureVPN PS4 also delivers some impressive security features like IP and DNS leak along with internet kill switch that takes your online privacy to a new plane.
If you want to discover other salient attributes of the service then read our dedicated PureVPN review.
- Advanced tunneling protocols
- Offers unlimited bandwidth
- Customer Support is available through 24/7 Live Chat
- Servers can drop in speeds during peak load
2. Surfshark – Fastest VPN ($1.99/mo)
Number of Servers: 1040+ | Server Locations: 61+ | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited
Surfshark is one of the newbies in the VPN industry but has a huge potential to grow in the future.
The service is compatible with all the leading platforms and gaming consoles including PS4.
Furthermore, Surfshark PS4 compatibility benefit allows you to play your desired games online from anywhere anonymously.
- Impressive 24/7 customer support service
- 256-bit military-grade encryption feature
- Strict no-logging policy
- Does not have a huge list of tunneling protocols
3. Ivacy – Secure VPN ($1.99/mo)
Number of Servers: 1000+ | Server Locations: 100 | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: 5
Ivacy is a super reliable VPN service offering its services in 100+ locations around the world. With over 1000+ servers and excellent compatibility for routers, Ivacy is perfect PS4 and other gaming consoles.
Other than, Ivacy offers top security features like 256-Bit Encryption, No Logs Policy and much more. Not only that, Ivacy is among the very few VPNs that offer a 30-day money-back guarantee and 5 simultaneous connections.
In case you wish to find out its other astonishing benefits, read our Ivacy review in detail.
- 1000+ server infrastructure
- Generous 30-day refund policy
- Uses military-grade encryption
- Does not log user data
- Nothing worth complaining
4. ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN ($8.32/mo)
Number of Servers: 3000+ | Server Locations: 160 | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: 5
ExpressVPN offers servers in more than 94 locations. The server strength of ExpressVPN is 3,000+ servers. Due to these servers, ExpressVPN holds strong unblocking capabilities that come very handy when streaming with VPN.
ExpressVPN PS4 can be configured directly on a router so any device that connects to the router (such as your PS4) will be under the protective blanket of the VPN.
ExpressVPN not only supports PS4 gaming consoles. In fact, it is compatible with other gaming consoles like Xbox One, and Xbox 360 too.
In case you wish to find out its other astonishing benefits, read our ExpressVPN review in detail.
- Strong server infrastructure
- Generous 30-day refund policy
- Uses military-grade encryption
- Does not log user data
- Slightly more expensive than other VPN alternatives
5. CyberGhost – Accomplished VPN ($2.75/mo)
Number of Servers: 5500+ | Server Locations: 112 | IP Addresses: 5500+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 7
CyberGhost is another VPN service compatible with gaming console PS4.
Likewise, you can use its generous 45 days money-back guarantee feature to enjoy complete online freedom on your PS4.
To compare its performance in terms of other parameters like speed, compatibility and others, check out our extensive CyberGhost review.
- Provides a humongous 45 days money-back guarantee
- Offers an amazing multi-login benefit to users
- Compatible with all the major platforms and gaming consoles
- Users may face connectivity issues while selecting their preferred servers
6. NordVPN – Most Secure VPN ($3.49/mo)
Number of Servers: 5500+ | Server Locations: 59 | IP Addresses: 5500+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 6
Note: We don’t recommend NordVPN at the moment due to its security vulnerabilities.
With NordVPN PS4 compatibility feature, you are free to fulfill your online gaming desires.
Moreover, NordVPN offers a 3-day free trial.
It also has a refund policy in place, as users can ask for their money back if they are not satisfied with it within 30 days.
Thus, NordVPN becomes a top-notch VPN for a console such as PS4.
The famous Panama VPN service offers a multitude of interesting features to its users.
In order to know about such benefits, you will have to read our full review of NordVPN.
- Offers 3-day free trial
- 6 devices to connect simultaneously to the VPN
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The double VPN feature can slow down server speeds
Best VPN for PS4 to Kill Online Gaming Issues & Unblock Geo-Restricted Games
We conducted an experiment to measure the performance of top VPN app for PS4, in terms of ping reduction, lag & latency elimination and overall gaming experience.
Following we have discovered the best VPN app for PlayStation 4 that is successful in delivering cutting-edge online gaming experience on both PS4.
Note: All tests were performed on an intentionally throttled internet connection of 100 Mbps speed.
The tests were conducted from the United States by connecting to servers located in different regions.
|Title||Ping||Recommended PS4 VPN App|
|Before Using VPN||After Using VPN|
|Battlefield 1||119 ms||70 ms||PureVPN for $1.65|
|Doom||150 ms||68 ms|
|Overwatch||173 ms||61 ms|
|Watch Dogs 2||156 ms||93 ms|
|Uncharted 4||198 ms||105 ms|
|Titanfall 2||170 ms||69 ms|
Best Free VPN for PS4
Are you looking for VPN fun free? Well, before you start using one, I urge you to heed this word of warning.
Many VPN providers operating under the “free” model are scams.
They have no qualms about selling your information to ad agencies, bombarding your device with unsolicited ads, and even injecting malware in your PC.
However, there are a few trustworthy providers offering free PS4 VPN. These are:
Why should you use a VPN on PS4?
It is important to consider some factors before subscribing to a PS4 VPN.
Amongst those factors, speed is of paramount importance. The one that has the fastest speed is the one to choose.
However, you may also use PS4 for multiple purposes. These are:
Play PS4 Games Faster
If you use PlayStation for gaming purposes, then it is recommended that you should subscribe to a VPN that kills ping.
For gamers, it is necessary that they should select the PPTP protocol, which is amongst the fastest and reduces latency.
Moreover, Kill Ping is an impressive software for gamers.
The purpose of this gaming app is to provide gamers a lag-free online gaming environment.
Check out the Kill Ping review to find out more information in detail.
Reduce Ping, Latency Spikes & Lags
Nothing in this universe is as frustrating as compromising your favorite match due to frequent lags, latency spikes and frequent interruptions during online gaming.
Although latency is a real issue and something you expect when you connect PS4 to VPN, however, in reality, a PlayStation 4 VPN can sometimes help the situation.
One method that works for reducing lag is to connect to a VPN server that is physically closed to the gaming server you are trying to play in.
This can provide better ping than your regular Internet.
However, there is no guarantee that this method would always work.
This is why it is a good idea to check out free trials of well-reputed VPNs for their ability to reduce pings before you decide to pay for one.
If you’re looking for more VPNs for gaming, you can check out this list.
Get Netflix US from Anywhere on PS4
Netflix US offers a library of shows and movies.
Although Netflix is available in most parts of the world, regions other than the US only get a watered-down version with a small catalog of content as compared to the US.
If you use a VPN app for PS4 on Netflix, you can easily gain access to the largest library of TV shows and movies available online on your gaming console.
Unblock Complete Amazon Prime Content on PS4
Like Netflix, Amazon Prime only offers limited content in different regions and requires an Amazon Prime VPN.
Copyrights and licensing laws prevent the streaming service from offering the complete catalog of content everywhere.
A PS4 VPN enables you to breakdown these regional barriers to the availability of content and gain access to the full library of shows.
Get Spotify on PS4
Spotify is a music streaming service that is only available in 59 countries of the world.
As a result, more than half of the world is unable to access to Spotify due to the problem of geo-restrictions.
The PS4 is a complete entertainment system that you can use for movies, music, gaming, and pretty much everything else.
Geo-restrictions, however, can reduce the utility of your PS4 and prevent it from delivering the best experience to users.
This is where the value of VPN services becomes clear, as they allow users to get around needless restrictions and unblock services like Spotify.
Be the First to Play Released Games Early
Just like movies, PS4 games are released with different dates around the world.
That said, the majority of PS4 games are launched earlier in the Australian and Japanese regions than the US and UK.
But, with a PS4 VPN app on your side, you have an edge over others by playing a newly released game from anywhere.
The above-listed VPN services have more than hundreds of servers in prime regions of the world. They offer a range of locations to connect.
Secure yourself from DDoS Attack
The DDoS attack is a nightmare for any gamer. A victim of DDoS attack faces sudden system crashes, sluggish internet speed and worst online gaming experience.
A DDoS attacker in first place identifies your IP address. Then it sends tons of useless files and junk to your system, destroying your online gameplay.
A PS4 VPN offers robust protection against DDOS attacks, so you enjoy a flawless online gaming experience without worrying about cyber threats.
What is NAT and which type of NAT is crucial to play online games?
Different routers use the concept of Network Address Translation (NAT) in translating a public IP address into a private IP address.
There are three types of NAT and these are Open NAT, Moderate NAT, and Strict NAT.
Through Open NAT, you are free to access any user’s game instantly. Furthermore, you can host games as well.
But, you will have to connect your console to the internet directly without using a router or firewall.
You can still connect your console to other players but you will not be able to enjoy full functionality. You can avail this NAT type by connecting to the internet with the help of a properly configured router.
In the case of strict NAT, you will have to bear the consequences of limited connectivity. The other players cannot join your hosted games.
Moreover, your router cannot use any open port accordingly.
Steps for changing NAT type on PS4?
The procedure of changing the NAT type on PS4 is straightforward. Here is how you can do:
- Insert your default IP address to access to router settings after opening the browser on your device
- You should enter your username and password to complete the login process
- You must find the “Enable UPnP” option on your router settings
- You may change NAT type by opening PS4 ports
Once you have gone through the above process, you have to follow few steps to port forward on PS4 to change NAT type. These steps are:
- After opening the settings through your Play Station 4, choose a network
- Select view connection status and write down the IP address of your console
- You should also note the MAC address of your console
- You should use your credentials to access your router’s control setting
- Designate a static IP address to your console
- Explore the port forwarding rules for your router
- Include rules for TCP 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480 and UDP 3478, and 3479
It is high time for you to restart your gaming console and router. By doing so, you will notice a significant improvement in your NAT type.
As I already mentioned above, there are three different types of NAT but open and moderate type is more suitable. These types allow you to play online games stress-free.
I conducted a survey and discovered various queries regarding Netflix setup on PS4. Following are the most frequently asked questions of users along with simple and straight forward solutions.
Here is how you can manually change DNS on PS4. You can select any specific server to connect. We have chosen Google’s server in this case:
- Power on your console and go to Settings>Network>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose WiFi/LAN for your connection and choose Custom
- Make the following changes in settings:
- IP Address Settings as Automatic
- DHCP Host Name as Do Not Specify
- DNS Settings as Manual
- Primary DNS as 188.8.131.52
- Secondary DNS as 184.108.40.206
- MTU Settings as Automatic
- Proxy Server as Do Not Use
The task of reducing the ping on your PS4 is not much difficult. You can connect your PS4 to LAN instead of W-LAN through a gigabit cable.
You can also opt for a gaming VPN which I have mentioned above that reduce ping to a certain degree.
Before using a VPN on PS4, you will have to configure a VPN on your router first. As a result, you can secure your PS4 gaming console through a VPN upfront.
You cannot use a VPN on PS4 directly. You will have to follow three methods by which you can achieve your mission. These methods are:
- Share the VPN connection via Windows
- Share the VPN connection via MAC
- Share the VPN connection via routers
If you want to turn off the VPN connection, simply stop the connection from devices you are sharing it from.
You can use a VPN for PS4 to change your IP address on your favorite gaming console instantly. When you use a VPN on your PS4 device, you can bypass region blocking hassles in no time.
In order to give your PS4 gaming console a static IP, you will need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click settings>network>view connection status to find out IP address, subnet mask and gateway address
- Use your login credentials to access to your router settings and note DHCP range used by your router
- You must choose a number between 2 and 254 to assign to your PS4, which should be outside of your router DHCP range
- To know the address you select is available, ping the address through command prompt
- Click Windows start menu, write cmd in the dialog box
- Click cmd.exe, type ping and hit the space bar
- Write the IP address you wish to check by hitting enter
- If you do not receive a reply, it means you can use the IP address
- Through PS4 dashboard, set the internal IP address to your chosen number
- From PS4 dashboard, click settings>network>setup internet connection
- You can choose “Use a LAN cable” or “Wi-Fi” when a console prompts you to opt how will you connect to the internet
- You will see the next question, how do you want to setup an internet connection? select Custom
- From your IP address settings, select Manual
- Make the IP address prominent by clicking the X button
- You will witness a black box with a number pas on your screen
- Enter the IP address you have selected earlier
- When you are finished, click “done“
- Enter in the subnet mask and pick default gateway and write the number you noted earlier for the gateway
- It is your router internal IP address, click “next” button when you are done
- Through MTU settings, click “automatic“
- Click “Do not use” option for the proxy server
- Click “test internet connection” to check your internet, network and PS4 connection statuses
- Once you have completed the test successfully, you can assign a static IP to your router
This way, you can assign an IP address to your router. This is because your router will assign the same permanent IP address to your PS4 gaming console.
PureVPN is our number one PS4 VPN as it offers impressive compatibility, thousands of servers, and top-notch performance at affordable pricing.
Surfshark and NordVPN gave tough competition to PureVPN but Surfshark does not have a huge server list as of PureVPN.
Likewise, NordVPN had a slight variation in terms of performance.
ExpressVPN is one of the expensive VPNs therefore; it may give you a serious headache financially.
CyberGhost somehow falls short as per the standards set by the remaining 4 VPNs.
Still, it is a reasonable option because it has some enticing features you should not overlook.
We hope you now know exactly how to use a VPN on Ps4. Feel free to drop a comment below if you found this guide useful.