Sony PlayStation 4 is a masterpiece of perfection in the world of gaming. The PlayStation 4 is the most powerful gaming console you can get today. But let’s cut to the chase. You’re obviously here because you want to learn how to setup a PS4 VPN. Right?
Although you can’t find VPN apps on the PlayStation Store, there are a few ways through which you can still use VPN on PS4 to get rid of geo-blocks, get new games before anyone else, reduce latency and much more.
Now before you get ahead of yourself, getting a PS4 VPN up and running is not as straight forward as installing VPN apps for smartphones or desktops. Nonetheless, to make your life easier, I’ve compiled this guide to show you how to get a VPN on PS4.
But first, let’s check out some best VPNs for Ps4
Best PS4 VPN for 2020
Here is a shortlist of some of the best VPNs for PS4 you can use in 2020.
- PureVPN ($2.91/mo)
- Surfshark ($1.99/mo)
- NordVPN ($3.49/mo)
- ExpressVPN ($8.32/mo)
- CyberGhost ($2.75/mo)
- Ivacy ($2.25/mo)
1. PureVPN – Best PS4 VPN ( $2.91/mo )
Number of Servers: 2,000+ | Server Locations: 140+ | IP Addresses: 300,000+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 10
PureVPN allows you to select an IP address from any of its 2000+ servers in 140+ countries and access gaming servers from anywhere in the world. The security features of PureVPN are state-of-the-art and uses advanced OpenVPN protocol for encryption. In addition, PureVPN offers an actual no logs policy for ultimate privacy.
Thus, PureVPN is a complete package and easily the best VPN for PS4 available in the market. PureVPN for PS4 also delivers some other impressive security features like IP and DNS leak protection along with Internet Kill Switch.
Best of all, PureVPN offers 10 simultaneous connections with one subscription plan. If you want to discover other features then read our dedicated PureVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Best Affordable VPN for PS4 ( $1.99/mo )
Number of Servers: 1700+ | Server Locations: 61+ | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited
Surfshark is one of the newbies in the VPN industry but has a huge potential to grow in the future. The service is compatible with all the leading platforms and gaming consoles including PS4. One thing that I really like about Surfshark is the fact that it offers unlimited multi logins.
As for speeds, Surfshark is the fastest VPN capable of delivering 27.91 Mbps downloading speed thanks to its network of 1700+ servers. To know more about other enticing features of this VPN, read our detailed Surfshark review.
3. NordVPN – Most Versatile PS4 VPN ( $3.49/mo )
Number of Servers: 5000+ | Server Locations: 59 | IP Addresses: 5,000+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 6
Last but not least, we have NordVPN. Armed with 5,600+ servers equipped with obfuscation technology, NordVPN PlayStation can help you access restricted gaming servers and download new gaming titles without waiting.
In addition, the famous Panama based VPN service offers a multitude of interesting features. Not only does it offers powerful encryption and protocols, but it also offers a 30 days money-back guarantee. Best of all, NordVPN for PS4 also comes with a 7-day free trial. In order to know about such benefits, you will have to read our full review of NordVPN.
4. ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN for PS4 ( $8.32/mo )
Number of Servers: 3,000+ | Server Locations: 160 | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: 5
ExpressVPN offers servers in more than 94 locations. The server strength of ExpressVPN is 3,000+ servers. Due to these servers, ExpressVPN holds strong unblocking capabilities that come very handy when streaming with VPN.
ExpressVPN PS4 can be configured directly on a router so any device that connects to the router (such as your PS4) will be under the protective blanket of the VPN. With ExpressVPN on PS4, you can also secure other gaming consoles like Xbox One, and Xbox 360 too. In case you wish to check out other features of this VPN, read our ExpressVPN review in detail.
5. CyberGhost – Popular VPN for PS4 ( $2.75/mo )
Number of Servers: 6500+ | Server Locations: 112 | IP Addresses: 7,000+ | Maximum Devices Supported: 7
CyberGhost is another VPN service compatible with gaming console PS4. Well by that I mean it is compatible with routers. In addition to that, CyberGhost offers 7,000+ servers in 90+ countries worldwide. I also really like the fact that it offers 7 multi logins as well.
To compare its performance in terms of other parameters like speed, compatibility, and others, check out our extensive CyberGhost review.
6. Ivacy – Most Secure PS4 VPN ( $2.25/mo )
Number of Servers: 2,000+ | Server Locations: 100 | IP Addresses: N/A | Maximum Devices Supported: 10
Ivacy is a super reliable VPN service offering its services in 100+ locations around the world. With over 2000+ servers and excellent compatibility for routers, Ivacy is perfect for PS4 and other consoles.
Other than that, Ivacy offers top security features like 256-bit encryption, no logs policy and much more. Not only that, Ivacy is among the very few VPNs that offer a 30-day money-back guarantee and 5 simultaneous connections. In case you wish to find out its other astonishing benefits, read our Ivacy review in detail.
How to setup NordVPN on PS4?
Spoiler: All the setup processes covered below are of the NordVPN PS4 App.
There are three ways for setting up Ps4 VPN. I have covered all three easy step-by-step tutorials below explaining different PlayStation 4 VPN setups to help you quickly get started. Follow along with the steps to learn how to use VPN on PS4.
Note: For our setup guides, we will cover how to connect NordVPN on PS4 step by step.
Method #1: How to setup PS4 VPN through Windows PC?
Here is how you can install a VPN through PC Windows and connect NordVPN to PS4:
- First, download and install one of the specified VPN services on your computer
- Launch VPN and connect to US server
- Now, use the crossover cable to connect PlayStation 4 with your computer
- Go to Control Panel of your system and click on Network and Sharing Center
- From the left pane of the window, select Change adapter settings
- Now, right-click on the icon of the VPN you are using. And click on Properties
- In the properties window, click on Sharing tab and mark enable the option for Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Now tap on the drop-down menu of Home Networking Connection. And select a connection that you want to share with your console
- Next, click on OK
- Access XMB menu of PlayStation 4 and go to Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use a LAN Cable when asked and make sure to put connection method as Easy
- Next, tap on Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked
- Finally, proceed by accepting all the settings, select Test Connection and you’re done with setting up your PS4 VPN on Windows
Method #2: How to setup VPN on PS4 through MAC?
Besides windows, users can set up a VPN through MAC for PlayStation 4 by following these simple steps:
- Choose from one of the mentioned VPN services, download and install it on your Mac
- Use a crossover cable to connect PlayStation 4 with your system
- Now, from the bottom of the screen, go to System Preferences>Sharing
- In Sharing page, click on Internet Sharing
- Click on the drop-down menu of Share Your Connection From, and select a source of your internet connection i.e. either Ethernet, AirPort or Wireless
- Now, click on the drop-down menu of To Computer Using and choose Ethernet
- Mark enable the checkbox next to Internet Sharing
- Next, the Internet Sharing icon will turn green and sharing will be started
- Access and log into VPN app on your Mac system, go to servers list and select the desired country to connect
- Now, from the XMB menu on your PS4, go to Settings>Network Settings>Setup Internet Connection
- Next, choose to Use a LAN Cable when asked
- Choose the connection method as
- Finally, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server and proceed by accepting all settings. Make sure to perform Test Connection and you’re done with setting VPN on PS4 through Mac
Method #3: How to setup PS4 VPN through Wi-Fi Router?
Last but not least, you can use a VPN on your PS4 by flashing Wi-Fi routers. For this method, you will require a provider that supports Wi-Fi routers. For instance, you can find the NordVPN PlayStation setup online pretty easily. Here’s how to use VPN on PS4 without pc:
- Go to XMB menu of PS4 and select Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use Wi-Fi when asked
- Select the connection method as Easy if asked
- Select your Wireless internet connection and enter your username & password
- Make sure to click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server
- Lastly, proceed by accepting all settings and click on Test Connection
Why do you need a VPN for PS4?
It is important to consider a few factors before subscribing to a PlayStation VPN. Amongst those factors, speed is of paramount importance. The one that has the fastest speed is the one to choose. However, you may also use PS4 for multiple purposes. These are:
Play PS4 Games Faster
If you use PlayStation for gaming purposes, then it is recommended that you should subscribe to a VPN that kills ping. For gamers, it is necessary that they should select the PPTP protocol, which is amongst the fastest and reduces latency.
Moreover, Kill Ping is impressive software for gamers. The purpose of this gaming app is to provide gamers a lag-free online gaming environment. Check out the Kill Ping review to find out more information in detail.
Reduce Ping, Latency Spikes & Lags
Although latency is a real issue and something you expect when you connect PS4 to VPN, however, in reality, a PlayStation 4 VPN can actually sometimes help in this situation.
One method that works for reducing lag is to connect to a VPN server that is physically closed to the gaming server you are trying to play in. This can provide better ping than your regular Internet. However, there is no guarantee that this method would always work.
This is why it is a good idea to check out free trials of well-reputed VPNs for their ability to reduce pings before you decide to pay for one. If you’re looking for more VPNs for gaming, you can check out this list.
Unblock Netflix US & Amazon Prime from Anywhere on PS4
If you don’t know, copyright and licensing laws prevent streaming services from offering the same catalog of content everywhere equally.
Although Netflix is available in most parts of the world, regions other than the US only get a watered-down version with a small catalog of content as compared to the US. Like Netflix, Amazon Prime only offers limited content in different regions and requires an Amazon Prime VPN.
However, if you use a VPN app for PS4 on Netflix and Amazon Prime, you can easily gain access to the largest library of TV shows and movies available online right on your console.
Be the First to Play Newly Released Games Early
Just like movies, PS4 games are released with different dates around the world. The majority of PS4 games are launched earlier in the Australian and Japanese regions than the US and UK.
But, with a VPN on PS4, you have an edge over others by playing a newly released game from anywhere. The above-listed VPN services have more than hundreds of servers in prime regions of the world and offer a range of locations to connect.
Protect yourself from DDoS Attacks
DDoS attacks can be a nightmare for any gamer. A victim of DDoS attack faces sudden system crashes, sluggish internet speed, and an overall terrible online gaming experience.
However, getting a VPN on PS4 offers robust protection against DDOS attacks, so you enjoy a flawless online gaming experience without worrying about cyber threats.
Best VPN for PS4 to Kill Online Gaming Issues
I’ve conducted an experiment to measure the performance of the top VPN app for PS4, in terms of ping reduction, lag & latency elimination and overall gaming experience.
Note: All tests were performed on an intentionally throttled internet connection of 100 Mbps speed. The tests were conducted from the United States by connecting to servers located in different cities.
|Title||Ping||Recommended PS4 VPN App|
|Before Using VPN||After Using VPN|
|Battlefield 5||119 ms||70 ms||$2.91/mo|
|Doom Eternal||150 ms||68 ms|
|Overwatch 2||173 ms||61 ms|
|Watch Dogs 2||156 ms||93 ms|
|Uncharted 4||198 ms||105 ms|
|Titanfall 2||170 ms||69 ms|
Best Free VPN for PS4
So I get that not everyone wants to use a paid VPN service for their PS4. It’s easy to be tempted to use free VPNs. However, as I’ve mentioned in every other article I’ve covered, free VPNs are only good for light usage. Not only do free VPNs sell user data, but they also don’t offer features that are necessary for privacy.
All in all, you should avoid using free VPN whenever possible. However, there are a few trustworthy providers offering free PS4 compatibility that you can try.
I conducted a survey and discovered various queries regarding Netflix setup on PS4. The following are the most frequently asked questions of users along with simple and straight forward solutions.
How do you change DNS on PS4?
Here is how you can manually change DNS on PS4. You can select any specific server to connect. We have chosen Google’s server in this case:
- Power on your console and go to Settings>Network>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose WiFi/LAN for your connection and choose Custom
- Make the following changes in settings:
- IP Address Settings as Automatic
- DHCP Host Name as Do Not Specify
- DNS Settings as Manual
- Primary DNS as 126.96.36.199
- Secondary DNS as 188.8.131.52
- MTU Settings as Automatic
- Proxy Server as Do Not Use
Does using a VPN reduce ping?
The task of reducing the ping on your PS4 is not much difficult. You can connect your PS4 to LAN instead of W-LAN through a gigabit cable. You can also opt for a gaming VPN which I have mentioned above that reduces ping to a certain degree.
Can you change your IP address on ps4?
You can use a VPN for PS4 to change your IP address on your favorite console instantly. When you use a VPN on your PS4 device, you can bypass region blocking hassles in no time.
PureVPN is our number one PS4 VPN as it offers impressive compatibility, thousands of servers, and top-notch performance at affordable pricing. The remaining 5 VPNs also offer pretty decent compatibility with routers and come with decent features, however, if I had to pick just one, I would choose PureVPN.
Anyways, I hope you now know exactly how to use a VPN on Ps4. Feel free to drop a comment below if you found this guide useful.