Sony PS4 is a masterpiece of perfection in the world of gaming and on-demand entertainment.
The PlayStation 4 is the most powerful gaming console ever launched in the history of gaming.
It is tremendous hardware and processing capabilities have transformed it into much more than simply a gaming platform, and more of an entertainment box.
Nonetheless, it still manages to annoy and frustrate gamers when they encounter region-restricted gaming titles, gameplay lag, and hackers roaming scot-free on gaming servers.
The way out of these annoyances is offered by PS4 VPN that benefits gamers in many ways.
In this blog, you will learn how to setup a VPN for PS4 and how it can improve your gameplay, security, and overall access to media services and gaming titles.
Alternatively, you can read our dedicated article on best VPN services of 2019 to discover the leading providers for a wide range of purposes.
- How to Configure a VPN on PS4? (through Windows, Mac & Wi-Fi Router)
- Criteria for Selecting Best VPN for PS4?
- 5 Best VPNs for PS4
- Best Free VPN for PS4
- Why do you need a PS4 VPN?
- What is a Proxy Server Address for PS4?
- What is NAT and which type of NAT is crucial to play Online Games?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Configure a VPN on PS4?
If you’re wondering how to use VPN on PS4, let me assure you its relatively easy.
You can achieve your VPN installation on PS4 objective by three methods.
I have created an easy step-by-step tutorial explaining different PS4 VPN setup.
Using anyone of these approaches, you can configure a VPN on your gaming console in a matter of seconds.
Note: For our setup guides, we will use PureVPN to demonstrate the whole installation process.
Top three VPN PS4 setup are as follows:
Method #1: How to get VPN on PS4 through Windows
Here is how you can install a VPN through PC Windows.
- First, download and install one of the specified VPN services on your computer
- Launch VPN and connect to US server
- Now, use the crossover cable to connect PS4 with your computer
- Go to Control Panel of your system and click on Network and Sharing Center
- From the left pane of window, select Change adapter settings
- Now, right-click on the icon of the VPN you are using. And click on Properties
- In the properties window, click on Sharing tab and mark enable the option for Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Now tap on the drop-down menu of Home Networking Connection. And select a connection that you want to share with your console
- Next, click on OK
- Access XMB menu of PS4 and go to Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use a LAN Cable when asked and make sure to put connection method as Easy
- Next, tap on Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked
- Finally, proceed by accepting all the settings, select Test Connection and you’re done with setting up your PS4 VPN on Windows
See also: Best VPN for Computer
Method #2: PS4 VPN Setup through MAC
Besides windows, users can setup a VPN through MAC for PS4 by following these simple steps:
- Choose from one of the mentioned VPN services, download and install it on your Mac
- Use a crossover cable to connect PS4 with your system
- Now, from the bottom of the screen, go to System Preferences>Sharing
- In Sharing page, click on Internet Sharing
- Click on the drop-down menu of Share Your Connection From, and select a source of your internet connection i.e. either Ethernet, AirPort or Wireless
- Now, click on the drop-down menu of To Computer Using and choose Ethernet
- Mark enable the checkbox next to Internet Sharing
- Next, the Internet Sharing icon will turn green and sharing will be started
- Access and log into VPN app on your Mac system, go to servers list and select a desired country to connect
- Now, from the XMB menu on your PS4, go to Settings>Network Settings>Setup Internet Connection
- Next, choose Use a LAN Cable when asked
- Choose the connection method as
- Finally, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server and proceed by accepting all settings. Make sure to perform Test Connection and you’re done with setting VPN on PS4 through Mac
Method #3: How to use VPN on without PC on PS4 (through Wi-Fi Router)
If you want to run PS4 with the help of a VPN, here are the setup instructions using a Wi-Fi Router.
You can use a VPN through flashing Wi-Fi router. But will require a provider that supports Wi-Fi routers. Interestingly, PureVPN is among providers who support a range of Wi-Fi routers.
Here is how you can setup a VPN through flash routers:
- Go to XMB menu of PS4 and select Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use Wi-Fi when asked
- Select the connection method as Easy if asked
- Select your Wireless internet connection and enter your username & password
- Make sure to click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server
- Lastly, proceed by accepting all settings and click on Test Connection
Criteria for Selecting Best VPN for PS4?
Before describing VPNs that are compatible with the PS4 console, you should consider some guidelines. These guidelines make your VPN selection task quite easy and highly productive.
- Logging policies
Jurisdiction defines the success of any VPN service in the right way. Therefore, you should not select a VPN service that does not belong to any five (5) eyes, nine (9) eyes, and fourteen (14) eyes countries.
For more information, read our exclusive five (5) eyes, nine (9) eyes, and fourteen (14) eyes guide.
Logging policy is another contentious subject that needs a comprehensive explanation. There are several logging types PS4 gamers do not know.
Thus, you should go through the logging policies of VPN services in detail to know which kind of logging policies your potential provider follows.
To know about logging policies of numerous VPNs, discover our detailed VPN logging policies guide.
You cannot ignore the cost factor when you want to play your favorite online games under your budget. Various VPN services available make your gaming hobby extremely expensive.
There is no harm in comparing the pricing plans of VPN providers before selecting an appropriate privacy brand that suits all your gaming needs.
Unfortunately, not every VPN service is compatible with routers and PS4 gaming console.
If you subscribe to a VPN service that does not support such devices, you will not accomplish your gaming cravings.
5 Best VPNs for PS4
When you connect to a VPN service before playing your desired games on PS4, it masks your original IP addresses.
As a result, you are able to get maximum speeds since your ISPs cannot throttle your internet connections.
You might be wondering, which is the best VPN for PS4?
However, the task of selecting an appropriate VPN for PS4 is not an easy one.
For your ease, I have compiled a list of VPN services you can choose to secure your privacy on PS4.
Here is the list of PS4 VPN client that deliver the best in class features.
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Best Affordable VPN
$2.95 Per Month
Exclusive Discount 1 year Plan
Best Budget Service
$1.99 Per Month
2 Years Deal
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$2.99 Per Month
3 Years Plan
Best for Streaming
$8.32 Per Month
No Exclusive Offer
Best for Private Browsing
$2.75 Per Month
3 Years Deal
With PureVPN, you can select an IP address from any of these 140 countries and access game servers from anywhere in the word.
The security features of PureVPN are state-of-the-art, as it uses advanced OpenVPN protocol for encryption.
Thus, PureVPN is a complete package and the best VPN for PS4 available in the market.
PureVPN PS4 also delivers some impressive security features like IP and DNS leak along with internet kill switch that takes your online privacy to a new plane.
If you want to discover other salient attributes of the service then read our dedicated PureVPN review.
- Provides more than 2,000 servers in 140 locations
- Supports advanced tunneling protocols
- Offers unlimited bandwidth
- Customer Support is available through Live Chat 24/7
- Servers can drop in speeds during peak load
Surfshark is one of the newbies in the VPN industry but has a huge potential to grow in the future.
The service is compatible with all the leading platforms and gaming consoles including PS4.
Furthermore, Surfshark PS4 compatibility benefit allows you to play your desired games online from anywhere anonymously.
To know more about enticing features about the brand, read our detailed Surfshark review.
- Offers an impressive 24/7 customer support service
- Provides a military grade 256-bit encryption feature
- Follows no-logging policy in true letter and spirit
- Does not have a huge list of tunneling protocols
With NordVPN PS4 compatibility feature, you are free to fulfill your online gaming desires.
Moreover, NordVPN offers a 3-day free trial.
It also has a refund policy in place, as users can ask for their money back if they are not satisfied with it within 30 days.
Thus, NordVPN becomes a top-notch VPN for a console such as PS4.
The famous Panama VPN service offers a multitude of interesting features to its users.
In order to know about such benefits, you will have to read our full review of NordVPN.
- Provides over 5,100 servers in more than 62 locations
- Offers 3-day free trial
- Allows up to 6 devices to connect simultaneously to the VPN
- Offers 30-day money-back guarantee
- The double VPN feature can slow down server speeds
ExpressVPN offers servers in more than 94 locations. The server strength of ExpressVPN is 3,000+ servers.
ExpressVPN PS4 can be configured directly on a router so any device that connects to the router (such as your PS4) will be under the protective blanket of the VPN.
ExpressVPN not only supports PS4 gaming consoles. In fact, it is compatible with other gaming consoles like Xbox One, and Xbox 360 too.
In case you wish to find out its other astonishing benefits, read our ExpressVPN review in detail.
- Delivers a strong server infrastructure
- Offer a generous 30-day refund policy
- Uses military-grade encryption
- Does not log user data
- Slightly more expensive than other VPN alternatives
CyberGhost is another VPN service compatible with gaming console PS4.
Likewise, you can use its generous 45 days money back guarantee feature to enjoy complete online freedom on your PS4.
To compare its performance in terms of other parameters like speed, compatibility and others, check out our extensive CyberGhost review.
- Provides a humongous 45 days money-back guarantee
- Offers an amazing multi-login benefit to users
- Compatible with all the major platforms and gaming consoles
- Users may face connectivity issues while selecting their preferred servers
Best VPN for PS4 to Kill Online Gaming Issues & Unblock Geo-Restricted Games
We conducted an experiment to measure the performance of top VPN app, in terms of ping reduction, lag & latency elimination and overall gaming experience.
Following we have discovered the best VPN for PS4 that is successful in delivering cutting-edge online gaming experience on both PS4.
Note: All tests were performed on an intentionally throttled internet connection of 100 Mbps speed.
The tests were conducted from the United States by connecting to servers located in different regions.
|Title||Ping||Recommended PS4 VPN App|
|Before Using VPN||After Using VPN|
|Battlefield 1||119 ms||70 ms|
PureVPN for $2.95
|Doom||150 ms||68 ms|
|Overwatch||173 ms||61 ms|
|Watch Dogs 2||156 ms||93 ms|
|Uncharted 4||198 ms||105 ms|
|Titanfall 2||170 ms||69 ms|
Best Free VPN for PS4
Are you looking for VPN fun free? Well, before you start using one, I urge you to heed this word of warning.
Many VPN providers operating under the “free” model are scams.
They have no qualms about selling your information to ad agencies, bombarding your device with unsolicited ads, and even injecting malware in your PC.
However, there are a few trustworthy providers offering VPNs free. These are:
Why do you need a PS4 VPN?
It is important to consider some factors before subscribing to a PS4 VPN.
Amongst those factors, speed is of paramount importance. The one that has the fastest speed is the one to choose.
However, and PS4 is used for multiple purposes.
If streaming Netflix or other streaming services, then you must go with a VPN that offers dedicated Netflix servers.
PS4 Gaming VPN
If you use PlayStation for gaming purposes, then it is recommended that you should subscribe to a VPN that kills ping.
For gamers, it is necessary that they should select the PPTP protocol, which is amongst the fastest and reduces latency.
Moreover, Kill Ping is an impressive software for gamers.
The purpose of this gaming app is to provide gamers a lag-free online gaming environment.
Check out the Kill Ping review to find out more information in detail.
Reduce Ping, Latency Spikes & Lags
Nothing in this universe is as frustrating as compromising your favorite match due to frequent lags, latency spikes and frequent interruptions during online gaming.
Although latency is a real issue and something you expect when you connect PS4 to VPN, however, in reality, a PS4 VPN can sometimes help the situation.
One method that works for reducing lag is to connect to a VPN server that is physically closed to the gaming server you are trying to play in.
This can provide better ping than your regular Internet.
However, there is no guarantee that this method would always work.
This is why it is a good idea to check out free trials of well-reputed VPNs for their ability to reduce pings before you decide to pay for one.
Get Netflix US from Anywhere on PS4
Netflix US offers a library of shows and movies.
Although Netflix is available in most parts of the world, regions other than the US only get a watered-down version with a small catalog of content as compared to the US.
If you use a VPN for PS4 on Netflix, you can easily gain access to the largest library of TV shows and movies available online on your gaming console.
Unblock Complete Amazon Prime Content on PS4
Like Netflix, Amazon Prime only offers limited content in different regions.
Copyrights and licensing laws prevent the streaming service from offering the complete catalog of content everywhere.
A PS4 VPN enables you to breakdown these regional barriers to the availability of content and gain access to the full library of shows.
Get Spotify on PS4
Spotify is a music streaming service that is only available in 59 countries of the world.
As a result, more than half of the world is unable to access to Spotify due to the problem of geo-restrictions.
The PS4 is a complete entertainment system that you can use for movies, music, gaming, and pretty much everything else.
Geo-restrictions, however, can reduce the utility of your PS4 and prevent it from delivering the best experience to users.
This is where the value of VPN services becomes clear, as they allow users to get around needless restrictions and unblock services like Spotify.
Be the First to Play Early Game Releases
Just like movies, PS4 games are released with different dates around the world.
That said, the majority of PS4 games are launched earlier in the Australian and Japanese regions than the US and UK.
But, with a PS4 VPN on your side, you have an edge over others by playing a newly released game from anywhere.
The above-listed VPN services have more than hundreds of servers in prime regions of the world. They offer a range of locations to connect.
The DDoS attack is a nightmare for any gamer. A victim of DDoS attack faces sudden system crashes, sluggish internet speed and worst online gaming experience.
A DDoS attacker in first place identifies your IP address. Then it sends tons of useless files and junk to your system, destroying your online gameplay.
A PS4 VPN offers robust protection against DDOS attacks, so you enjoy a flawless online gaming experience without worrying about cyber threats.
What is a Proxy Server Address for PS4?
A proxy address for PS4 just works like another network address.
You can assume the proxy as a hub that helps in processing internet exchange requests hassle-free.
Once you connect to any proxy server of your choice, your PS4 can start transmitting your communications with the server.
As a result, you can access to region-blocked content accordingly.
You may also call port forwarding as port mapping that enables you to redirect computer signals (ports) between LAN systems and remote systems.
Moreover, it helps you in accessing an internet-enabled service or device from anywhere.
How to change NAT type with Port Forwarding on PS4?
When it comes to playing your favorite online games, nothing comes close to the PS4 gaming console. However, the task of playing your desired online games on PS4 is not so simple.
To accomplish your online gaming cravings, you will need to select an appropriate NAT type first.
Before moving further, you must know what NAT is and which type of NAT is ideal for playing online games from anywhere.
What is NAT and which type of NAT is crucial to play online games?
Different routers use the concept of Network Address Translation (NAT) in translating a public IP address into a private IP address.
There are three types of NAT and these are Open NAT, Moderate NAT, and Strict NAT.
Through Open NAT, you are free to access any user’s game instantly. Furthermore, you can host games as well.
But, you will have to connect your console to the internet directly without using a router or firewall.
You can still connect your console to other players but you will not be able to enjoy full functionality. You can avail this NAT type by connecting to the internet with the help of a properly configured router.
In the case of strict NAT, you will have to bear the consequences of limited connectivity. The other players cannot join your hosted games.
Moreover, your router cannot use any open port accordingly.
Steps for changing NAT type on PS4?
The procedure of changing the NAT type on PS4 is straightforward. Here is how you can do:
- Insert your default IP address to access to router settings after opening the browser on your device
- You should enter your username and password to complete the login process
- You must find the “Enable UPnP” option on your router settings
- You may change NAT type by opening PS4 ports
Once you have gone through the above process, you have to follow few steps to port forward on PS4 to change NAT type. These steps are:
- After opening the settings through your Play Station 4, choose a network
- Select view connection status and write down the IP address of your console
- You should also note the MAC address of your console
- You should use your credentials to access your router’s control setting
- Designate a static IP address to your console
- Explore the port forwarding rules for your router
- Include rules for TCP 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480 and UDP 3478, and 3479
It is high time for you to restart your gaming console and router. By doing so, you will notice a significant improvement in your NAT type.
As I already mentioned above, there are three different types of NAT but open and moderate type is more suitable. These types allow you to play online games stress-free.
PS4 Crash Exploit
Unfortunately, gaming fans are facing crashing issues while using their consoles.
The said issue arises when users start sending messages to all other opponents.
Moreover, the messages consist of data PS4 consoles do not know how to process.
In case you get this message in the form of notification, chances are that your game may be crashed.
Similarly, your PS4 gets into a constant error loop. Thus, you cannot play your favorite games on PS4 as per your needs.
If you want to overcome the said hassle, you will need to delete the message first.
By doing so, you will bypass crashing issue to another level.
Still, you will have to play your PS4 in safe mode and rebuild the database.
If you delete the message before your PlayStation starts experiencing boot problems, you do not need to perform the above-said step.
I conducted a survey and discovered various queries regarding Netflix setup on PS4. Following are the most frequently asked questions of users along with simple and straight forward solutions.
Here is how you can manually change DNS on PS4. You can select any specific server to connect. We have chosen Google’s server in this case:
- Power on your console and go to Settings>Network>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose WiFi/LAN for your connection and choose Custom
- Make the following changes in settings:
- IP Address Settings as Automatic
- DHCP Host Name as Do Not Specify
- DNS Settings as Manual
- Primary DNS as 188.8.131.52
- Secondary DNS as 184.108.40.206
- MTU Settings as Automatic
- Proxy Server as Do Not Use
The task of reducing the ping on your PS4 is not much difficult. You can connect your PS4 to LAN instead of W-LAN through a gigabit cable.
You can also opt a gaming VPN which I have mentioned above that reduce ping to a certain degree.
Before using a VPN on PS4, you will have to configure a VPN on your router first. As a result, you can secure your PS4 gaming console through a VPN upfront.
You can use a VPN on PS4 through a Wi-Fi router without using a PC.
You cannot use a VPN on PS4 directly. You will have to follow three methods by which you can achieve your mission. These methods are:
- Share the VPN connection via Windows
- Share the VPN connection via MAC
- Share the VPN connection via routers
If you want to turn off the VPN connection, simply stop the connection from devices you are sharing it from.
You can use VPN PS4 to change your IP address on your favorite gaming console instantly. When you use a VPN on your PS4 device, you can bypass region blocking hassles in no time.
Connecting your PS4 to a PC is super simple. You can simply use the PS4 Remote Play application to remotely control your PS4 with your computer.
In order to give your PS4 gaming console a static IP, you will need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click settings>network>view connection status to find out IP address, subnet mask and gateway address
- Use your login credentials to access to your router settings and note DHCP range used by your router
- You must choose a number between 2 and 254 to assign to your PS4, which should be outside of your router DHCP range
- To know the address you select is available, ping the address through command prompt
- Click windows start menu, write cmd in the dialog box
- Click cmd.exe, type ping and hit the space bar
- Write the IP address you wish to check by hitting enter
- If you do not receive a reply, it means you can use the IP address
- Through PS4 dashboard, set the internal IP address to your chosen number
- From PS4 dashboard, click settings>network>setup internet connection
- You can choose “Use a LAN cable” or “Wi-Fi” when a console prompts you to opt how will you connect to the internet
- You will see the next question, how do you want to setup an internet connection? select Custom
- From your IP address settings, elect Manual
- Make the IP address prominent by clicking the X button
- You will witness a black box with a number pas on your screen
- Enter the IP address you have selected earlier
- When you are finished, click “done”
- Enter in the subnet mask and pick default gateway and write the number you noted earlier for the gateway
- It is your router internal IP address, click “next” button when you are done
- Through MTU settings, click “automatic”
- Click “Do not use” option for the proxy server
- Click “test internet connection” to check your internet, network and PS4 connection statuses
- Once you have completed the test successfully, you can assign a static IP to your router
This way, you can assign an IP address to your router. This is because your router will assign the same permanent IP address to your PS4 gaming console.
The world of video games is far too fascinating to allow any compromises on gameplay.
This is why you should use the best PS4 VPN and unlock the full potential of the console for an exciting overall experience.
I hope you now know exactly how to use a VPN on Ps4 . Feel free to drop a comment below if you found this guide useful.