LG is one of the largest Smart TV brands in the world. These TVs run on LG’s proprietary operating system called WebOS.
You can find plenty of streaming apps supported by the WebOS on Smart TVs. However, the availability of these apps varies region by region.
So, unless you use the best VPN for LG Smart TV to pretend to be located in a region different than your actual location, you won’t be able to take full advantage of your Smart TV.
First, a brief overview of some LG WebOS VPNs…
- PureVPN – A super affordable VPN with top-notch features that’s perfect for Smart TVs.
- NordVPN – 5600+ servers capable of unblocking geo-blocked apps and streaming services for your smart TV.
- Surfshark – Ultra affordable VPN with powerful features for as low as $1.99/mo.
- CyberGhost – 3200+ optimized servers and awesome features starting from $2.75/mo.
- ExpressVPN – Superfast premium VPN with flagship features and customer support.
5 Best VPN for LG TVs
The VPN services leading the competitive race among dozens of great providers are described below with pros and cons for each.
PureVPN is a Hong-Kong based VPN service that offers over 2,000 servers distributed across 140 countries. With this VPN, you can overcome geo-restrictions from anywhere in the world and enable access to apps on your LG Smart TV.
- 2,000+ servers in over 140 countries
- 31-day refund period
- PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2, OpenVPN, SSTP protocols
- Occasional connectivity issues
NordVPN has a gigantic server network having more than 5600+ servers operating in over 62 countries. The provider is exceptionally efficient when it comes to unblocking apps and sites.
If you are having problems getting apps for your Smart TV or concerned about increasing its security, NordVPN is the best VPN for LG Smart TV you can get.
- Huge server infrastructure
- Allows up to 6 multi-logins
- Double VPN feature can reduce speeds
Surfshark is a powerful VPN service. You may not have heard of it since it has only made its entry into the VPN industry, but the provider is already getting rave reviews from users and critics alike.
best of all, this VPN for smart tv LG only costs $1.99/mo.
- Supports unlimited simultaneous connections
- Strong AES 256 encryption
- Good usability
- No dedicated app for macOS
CyberGhost provides decent security features such as anti-fingerprinting as well as and a great VPN client for Windows and other platforms. Use it to circumvent geo-restricted apps on LG Smart TVs.
- 3200+ servers in over 60 countries
- Supports P2P filesharing
- Average speeds
The only problem is that the VPN is quite expensive compared to the standard price in the industry. But to be honest, the high price is totally justifiable when you consider ExpressVPN’s performance.
- Fast server speeds
- Foolproof security features
- Expensive pricing
See also: VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Why do you need a VPN on LG Smart TVs?
Smart TV apps, like most other streaming apps, have a grave problem:
They are available in only certain countries.
Another reason why you should be thinking about getting a VPN for LG TVs is that these TVs are not sufficiently secure from potential hacking attempts. VPNs can enhance the overall security of your TV through sophisticated encryption methods.
Now that we have settled why VPN is a valuable addition to your smart TV, let’s take a look at some specific VPN providers you should consider acquiring.
Does LG Smart TVs Support VPNs?
The short answer: not directly.
The WebOS does not support the installation of VPN services. However, it is still possible to connect your Smart TV with a VPN. You can do this either by configuring a VPN on your Wi-Fi router itself or turn your PC into a virtual router whose connection is shared by LG Smart TVs.
So, what are the steps needed to get a VPN set up on your router?
How to Setup VPN on LG Smart TV
You can set up a VPN on LG Smart TV through two different methods. One involves the use of an actual configurable router, and the other involves the use of your PC as a virtual router to configure LG TV VPN.
The first method that I am going to show you for getting a VPN on your Smart TV is through a router. The advantage of this method is that you can connect any device to a VPN-enabled router and thus share the VPN connection without having to set up a VPN on each device individually.
Bear in mind, however, only certain types of routers support VPNs. DDWRT router is an example of a router that allows users to play around with a lot of Internet settings that simply can’t be touched on standard routers.
To learn how to set up a VPN on a Router, read DDWRT router VPN Setup. Once you have installed a VPN on your router, simply connect your LG Smart TV to the Wi-Fi router to automatically connect the TV to a VPN.
Be warned, though, this method is quite technically involved and if you are not that technologically-inclined, I suggest following the other method.
Via Network Connection Sharing (PC)
Note: This method works for users of PC on Windows 10
- Open Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot
- Turn on Mobile hotspot
- Now open Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter Options
- Find ExpressVPN Tap Adapter (Monitor icon) and right-click on it
- Choose Properties
- Now, check to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection under the sharing tab
- Press OK
- Open your LG Smart TV and connect to the PC connection you just created
- Now you can unblock apps on your Smart TV with a VPNs
How to Change WebOS Region on your LG Smart TV?
You can change the region of your Smart TV by following the steps below:
- Press Settings on your LG TV remote control
- Now choose General
- Navigate to Location
- Choose LG Services Country
- Uncheck Set Automatically and pick a country of your choice
- Press Yes and reboot your Smart TV
The list of countries you can choose depends on the region you purchased your LG TV from.
VPN services are important to tackle geo-restrictions and online security threats.
This is why you should choose the best VPN to completely avoid worrying about blocked apps and services, and enjoy the complete features of Smart TVs with top-notch security.
So which best VPN for LG Smart TV you’re using currently? Let me know in the comments below.