Want to catch up on the most anticipated movies and TV shows even if they’re not present in Japan? Well, all you need is the best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan!
You might be thinking, Can I install a VPN on LG Smart TV? Well, you can’t install VPN directly to LG Smart TV you can only do it using the SmartDNS feature. Using a premium VPN service for your LG Smart TV increases your online security.
LG is one of the largest Smart TV brands and runs its own operating system called WebOS. You can find plenty of streaming apps supported by the WebOS on Smart TVs. However, the availability of these apps varies from region to region. So, unless you use a VPN for LG Smart TV, you’re not using your device to its fullest.
After testing 40+ VPNs in this guide, we foundExpressVPN to be the best LG Smart TV VPN in Japan, which makes it easy for users to change their IP address in Japan with easy configuration, super-fast speeds, and the ability to unblock multiple streaming platforms.
Best VPN For LG Smart TV in Japan
– Quick Overview
If you’re in a hurry, we’ll get into all the details of the best VPNs for smart TVs in Japan down below, but here are our top picks.
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan with a 30-day money-back guarantee, this fast VPN can unblock .geo-restricted content easily.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly LG Smart TV VPN in Japan with unlimited simultaneous connections and Smart DNS, there are no quality compromises!
- NordVPN – Secure VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan, it has excellent privacy and security features, as well as a huge fleet of servers.
- CyberGhost – User-friendly LG Smart TV VPN in Japanwith strong encryption, access to in-demand streaming sites, and servers where you need them
- PIA – Extensive Server Network in Japan
with excellent privacy, decent speeds for streaming, and a proven no-logs policy.
Why Do I Need a VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan?
Essentially you need a VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan, in order to watch geo-restricted content on streaming platforms such as HBO Max and YouTube. Smart TV apps, like most streaming apps, have a great limitation that can be annoying sometimes: They are available only in certain countries.
Following are the two prominent reasons why you need a VPN on LG TV in Japan:
- Access Geo-Restricted Content: Most popular streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ are geo-restricted. However, with a VPN, you can change your virtual location and access your favorite movies and TV shows in Japan.
- Improved Privacy and Security: It would be best to think about getting a VPN for LG TVs in Japan because these TVs are not sufficiently secure from potential hacking attempts. VPNs can enhance the overall security of your TV through sophisticated encryption methods.
Now that we have settled on why VPN is a valuable addition to your Smart TV in Japan, let’s look at some specific VPN providers you should consider acquiring.
5 Best VPNs for LG Smart TV in Japan
In 2023 [In-Depth Analysis]
Growing geo-blocks make it hard to get the most out of your LG Smart TV in Japan. We have evaluated the features of affordable VPNs in Japan for LG Smart TV including security, protocols, speed, server network, compatibility, and logging policy in Japan
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan with Lightning-Fast Servers
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries and 25 server locations in US
- Offers a free MediaStreamer feature
- 92 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS
- Best Price: JPY929.59/mo (US$ 6.67/mo)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for LG Smart TVs in Japan. ExpressVPN is known for its excellent performance, amazing unblocking ability, robust security, and blazing-fast speeds.
ExpressVPN offers around 3000+ servers in 94 countries and 25 server locations in the US, making it an excellent choice for streaming. ExpressVPN is best for unblocking Netflix in Japan, HBOMax in Japan, Amazon Prime in Japan, and Disney+ on our LG Smart TV. We recommend using the New York server that works best with LG Smart TV.
In our ExpressVPN speed test in Japan, the VPN delivered a download speed of 92.26 Mbps and an upload speed of 89.45 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection. We never had to experience any buffering whatsoever.
A few ExpressVPN security features keep your activities secure on LG Smart TV. ExpressVPN is supposed to be the best to provide port forwarding in Japan, kill switch in Japan, split tunneling in Japan, OpenVPN, IPv6/DNS leak protection, and Trusted Server technology. These features don’t only make EcpressVPN the best for LG Smart TV but ExpressVPN is also the best Apple TV VPN in Japan as well.
ExpressVPN strictly follows a no-log policy and does not track any online activity due to safe jurisdiction in the British Virgin Islands, away from surveillance & data retention laws. It allows 05 simultaneous connections for a single subscription.
ExpressVPN offers dedicated apps for all the major platforms including Android, Windows, iOS, and macOS. ExpressVPN has a reputation for being the best VPN for streaming multiple devices in Japan like Kodi in Japan, Amazon Fire TV Stick in Japan, and Roku as well as gaming consoles.
ExpressVPN provides technical support via live chat 24/7. It is available for just JPY929.59/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan), and there is also a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a 07 days trials so you can try it risk-free.
You can get an ExpressVPN free trial in Japan for seven days on mobile devices for testing the VPN out. To know more about this VPN, read our ExpressVPN review in Japan.
- Great support for LG Smart TV.
- Unblocks a wide variety of streaming platforms.
- Audited zero-logging policy.
- Sleek app for platforms.
- Robust security features and encryption.
- Five simultaneous connections only
- Port forwarding is only available on its router app.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly LG Smart TV VPN in Japan to Stream Shows Buffer-free
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries and 600+ servers in US
- Offers Smart DNS feature
- 81 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast speeds – great for streaming
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, FireStick, Android TV.
- Best Price: JPY320.55/mo (US$ 2.30/mo)
Surfshark is the most budget-friendly VPN for LG Smart TVs in Japan. This VPN allows you to unblock your favorite content and stream it without buffers at the cost of only JPY320.55/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
Surfshark features around 3200+ servers in 100 countries and 600+ servers in the US, making it an amazing option for Smart TVs. It also has a powerful mechanism to support unlimited simultaneous connected devices.
You may unblock regionally restricted content on sites like BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, YoutubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, and more with the help of Surfshark’s server network. To bypass geo-restrictions and stream our favorite shows and movies, we connected to Surfshark’s New York server which works great with LG Smart TV.
Surfshark is quite fast for streaming. In our Surfshark speed test in Japan, the VPN delivered a download speed of 81.32 Mbps and an upload speed of 76.12 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. We did not face any delays while streaming with this VPN.
Some of its standout features include MultiHop, CleanWeb, and Whitelister (split tunneling). Its MultiHop feature allows Double VPN in Japan encryption by rerouting your traffic through 2 different servers. Double encryption makes it impossible for your ISP or hackers to track your activities.
Surfshark is also compatible with other multiple devices such as Roku, Firestick, Kodi, and more. Moreover, it provides customized apps for Windows, iOS, macOS, and Android. It also supports a range of routers.
Best of all, the VPN provides technical assistance for 24/7 via live chat. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can also try it for a risk-free trial for 07 days. Check out our Surfshark review in Japan for further details.
- Offers P2P connections
- Unblocks all major streaming platforms
- Fast speeds
- Compatible with Smart TV
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Smart DNS feature
- It may come with some issues with the kill switch
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan for Easy Streaming
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries and 1970+ servers in US
- Outstanding SmartPlay feature
- 83 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- 6 Simultaneous Connections
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming on LG Smart TV
- Onion over VPN and Double VPN
- Best Price: JPY556.08/mo (US$ 3.99/mo)
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan, offering more than 5500 servers in 60 and 1970+ servers in the US. NordVPN is exceptionally efficient when it comes to unblocking apps and sites. It provides you the opportunity to connect 07 devices simultaneously.
This VPN works flawlessly with popular streaming sites like Netflix in Japan, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, helping bypass VPN blocks in countries with heavy restrictions like China. We used Atlanta server # 8195 of NordVPN to unblock our preferred content on LG Smart TV.
NordVPN offers fast speeds to its users, which leads to no buffering while streaming. In our NordVPN speed test in Japan, the VPN delivered a download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection.
It is a high-performance provider with excellent unblocking capabilities. NordVPN offers top security features like Double VPN, obfuscated servers, Split tunneling in Japan, a kill switch, SmartDNS in Japan, AES 256-bit encryption, Onion over VPN, and Double VPN. The Double VPN feature reroutes traffic over two servers for double encryption.
It offers dedicated apps for Windows, iOS, and Android. It’s the best VPN to support streaming on Roku, Kodi, and FireStick. It provides technical support through Live chat and emails. NordVPN costs JPY556.08/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 07-day free trial for its users to test the service risk-free.
For more information on this VPN, check out our latest NordVPN review in Japan.
- Based in a privacy-friend region – Panama
- Works with BBC iPlayer and Netflix
- SmartPlay feature doesn’t require configuration
- Nordlynx protocol protects you from hacking
- Offers only six simultaneous connections
- Customer service can be improved
- No port forwarding support
4. CyberGhost – User-friendly LG Smart TV VPN in Japan with Optimized Servers
- 9700+ servers in 91 countries and 1353 servers locations in US
- Smart DNS and streaming-optimized servers
- Seven simultaneous connections
- Fast streaming speeds
- Robust no-logging policy
- Best Price: JPY294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Router, Play Station, Android TV, Roku, etc
CyberGhost is the most user-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan, with dedicated servers for streaming. CyberGhost offers 9700+ servers in 91 countries and 1353 server locations in the US.
Using these servers, we could unblock various libraries of Netflix with CyberGhost in Japan, as well as Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and more. We used the New York server of CyberGhost to unblock many of our favorite movies and shows on LG Smart TV.
CyberGhost’s service is fast and reliable. In our CyberGhost speed test in Japan, we got a download speed of 75.47 Mbps and an upload speed of 69.34 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
CyberGhost provides decent security features such as anti-fingerprinting, an Internet Kill Switch, and military-grade AES 256-bit encryption. You also get Smart DNS, split tunneling, and DNS/IP leak protection with CyberGhost. Enjoy private streaming with its NoSpy servers on Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and others simultaneously.
CyberGhost supports multiple devices including Roku, Kodi, Playstation, Amazon Firestick, and many more. CyberGhost provides live chat for technical assistance. It costs JPY294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) . There is also a massive 45-day money-back guarantee and a 07-day CyberGhost free trial in Japan for its users.
Read our detailed CyberGhost review in Japan to know more about its features.
- Enormous network of 7000+ servers
- Dedicated servers for streaming, gaming, and torrenting
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Smart DNS option
- Speeds are slower than its competitors
5. PIA – Extensive Server Network to Watch Global Content on Smart TV in Japan
- 35000+ servers in 84 countries, 50+ servers in US
- Smart DNS
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 65.78 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- Unlimited bandwidth for Ultra HD streaming
- Supports Anti-Tracking and Webcam Blocking features are available
- Best Price: JPY294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS
Private Internet Access is another amazing VPN for LG Smart TV with a massive server network to unblock international content. It probably has one of the biggest server networks of 35000+ servers in 84 countries and 50+ servers in the US. These servers can unblock any geo-blocked content in Japan.
PIA offers unlimited bandwidth and data, so you can stream as much as you want. PIA also works with all major streaming platforms, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, NBC, Peacock TV, and more. If you want to access blocked content on LG Smart TV, you should always use the New York server.
The VPN’s speeds are fast enough to enjoy bufferless streaming. In our PIA speed test in Japan, the VPN offered a download speed of 65.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 57.16 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. PIA allows ten simultaneous connections to stream on multiple devices simultaneously
Some of PIA VPN’s security features include split tunneling, port forwarding, an automatic kill switch, an adblocker, and a SOCKS5 proxy for safe torrenting. It also comes with strong AES 256-bit encryption that can protect against brute cyber attacks in terms of security.
This VPN is best to work with Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, and Smart TVs. It also supports numerous devices including Kodi, Roku, Firestick, and many more. It costs only JPY294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for its users to test the service free of risk.
To know more about this VPN, read our latest PIA VPN review in Japan.
- Offers 35000+ servers worldwide
- Port forwarding and SOCKS5 support
- 10 multi-logins
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Speeds come with a drop of 30%
- The app is a bit confusing and rigid
Methodology: How to Choose the Best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan
There are a few key factors you need to look into for choosing the best VPN for LG Smart TV, including security, user-friendliness, compatibility, and speed. All the LG TV VPNs above meet this criterion. But, if you want to test it yourself, then keep the following factors in mind:
- Compatibility with devices: Opt for a VPN service that has a Smart DNS feature or can be configured on routers so you can use it on your LG device.
- Super-fast speeds: Fast speeds allow you to enjoy HD and Ultra HD content during peak times and even on long-distance servers.
- Servers worldwide: A vast network of servers lets you access geo-restricted streaming platforms reliably whenever you travel abroad.
- User-friendly VPN interface: Whenever you use a VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan, choose the one that offers a simple and clean UI.
- Robust security features: Opt for the best VPN with a kill switch in Japan, AES 256-bit encryption, and no-logging policy.
- Risk-free money-back guarantee: Get a VPN with a tried-and-tested money-back guarantee so you can claim a refund if the VPN’s not for you.
- Price: Premium VPN services usually come with a higher price tag. Fortunately, you may make use of the services of top-notch VPN companies that are affordable.
Quick Comparison Table – Best VPNs for LG Smart TV in Japan
Still, facing difficulties comparing the VPNs above? Here is a quick comparison table that will help you choose the best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan for yourself:
|Number of Servers||3000+ servers||3200+ servers||5500+ servers||
|Number of Countries||94 countries||100 countries||60 countries||91 countries||84 countries|
|Simultaneous Device Connections||5||Unlimited||6||7||10|
|Average Speed (Base: 100 Mbps)||85+ Mbps||85+ Mbps||80+ Mbps||75+ Mbps||80+ Mbps|
|Smart DNS Available||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||30 days||30 days||45 days||30 days|
|Lowest Price||JPY 929.59/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan)||JPY 320.55/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)||JPY 556.08/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)||JPY 294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)||JPY 294.07/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)|
Can I get a free VPN for my LG Smart TV in Japan?
Looking for a reliable and best free VPN in Japan is difficult specifically for streaming and gaming in Japan. And looking for a reliable VPN for LG TV free is almost near impossible.
To start, free VPNs have poor unblocking capabilities. Even if you find one that unblocks Netflix for LG Smart TV, it’s highly likely not to work with other platforms like Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. Moreover, most of them do not offer a Smart DNS feature.
Free VPNs also display intrusive ads to generate revenue. And if they don’t, they may sell your data to third-party advertisers. That’s why you should always opt for a premium VPN like ExpressVPN instead of a free VPN Smart TV.
How do I setup a VPN on my LG TV in Japan?
If you are wondering how to set up a VPN on a smart TV, you have come to the right place. You can install a VPN on LG TV through two different methods.
The first method that we will show you for getting a VPN on your Smart TV is through a router. This method’s advantage is that you can connect any device to a VPN-enabled router and share the VPN connection without having to set up a VPN on each device individually.
However, bear in mind that only certain types of routers support VPNs. DDWRT router is an example of a router that allows users to play around with many Internet settings that can’t be touched on standard routers. Therefore, make sure your router can be manually configured to enable VPN.
To learn how to set up a VPN on a Router, read our DDWRT router VPN Setup. Once you have installed a VPN on your router, connect your LG Smart TV to the Wi-Fi router to automatically connect the TV to a VPN.
However, this method is quite technical and might be too hard for some users. Therefore, if you are not that technologically inclined, we suggest following the other method.
Via Network Connection Sharing (PC)
Note: This method works for users of PC on Windows 10:
- Open Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot
- Turn on the Mobile hotspot.
- Now open Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter Options
- Find ExpressVPN Tap Adapter (Monitor icon) and right-click on it.
- Choose Properties.
- Now, check to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection under the sharing tab.
- Press OK.
- Open your LG Smart TV and connect to the PC connection you just created.
- Now you can unblock apps with a VPN on Smart TV.
How to Set up an LG TV VPN with Android in Japan
Here is how to set up an LG TV VPN with Android. Follow the steps given:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN service first. We recommend using ExpressVPN.
- Install the VPN app for LG Smart TV using Smart DNS.
- Connect to the nearest US server as this increases your streaming speeds.
- Enjoy streaming on LG Smart TV.
How to Set Up Smart DNS on LG Smart TV in Japan– (VPN Alternative)
All the VPNs above offer Smart DNS support. This is how you can use it on your LG Smart TV (We’re using ExpressVPN as an example).
- Sign in to your ExpressVPN account. From there, visit the DNS Settings page.
- Go to the ‘Register my IP address under the IP address registration’ section. We advise you to check out Automatically register my IP address to track the changes to your IP when you log in.
- Then, visit the ‘Set Up Devices’ page and tap on MediaStreamer.
- Note down the IP addresses you see on your right.
- Fire up LG Smart TV and tap on Settings. Click Network > Wi-Fi Connection.
- Tap on Advanced Settings > Edit.
- Visit the section of DNS server addresses and insert the IP addresses you jotted down before.
- Click Connect and wait for the test to end.
- Restart your LG Smart TV and watch your favorite content!
Note: To download US streaming apps like Hulu, US Netflix, Disney+, etc., you must first change your LG Smart TV region to the USA. You will not download geo-restricted streaming apps if you don’t change your location, even with Smart DNS on.
VPNs To Avoid while Accessing LG Smart TV in Japan?
Contrary to popular belief, free VPNs do not offer users a reliable and safe connection. However, premium VPNs that cost money each month still fail to deliver a satisfactory viewing experience making them worse than the free VPNs available.
Below we have discussed the services which are found to be the worst for accessing LG Smart TV in Japan:
Unfortunately, owing to Hola’s bandwidth selling, users run the danger of experiencing major issues when streaming. It’s cheap, but it reveals all of your online activity, personal information, and credit card numbers.
Using Hola you not only put yourself at risk of online threats but also don’t get what you’re searching for because of its awful reputation in the VPN market. Therefore, you would be wise to avoid using this service.
Our in-depth review of Hola VPN in Japan has all the details.
Hoxx VPN has a terrible reputation in the industry. There are issues with this VPN, including as slow connections, inability to see work with LG TV, and lack of privacy.
This VPN makes bold claims about its performance, but it consistently falls short. Don’t waste your time using Hoxx VPN.
Find out more about Hoxx VPN review in Japan.
This VPN is a popular service with many users, and it claims to be the best free VPN to be used with LG Smart TVs. However, it performed badly in our tests.
It has a history of insecure data transfers and IP address disclosure. It also boasts a wide variety of global server locations, however, the vast majority of them are really virtual machines.
Read this detailed HideMyAss review in Japan to know more.
FAQs – Best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan
Can you put a VPN on a LG Smart TV in Japan?
Yes, A VPN can be put on a LG Smart TV in Japan by using these simple steps. From the Home screen, tap the Menu key > Settings > More… > VPN. Tap the type of VPN you want to add. Choose Basic VPN App.
Can you download NordVPN on LG Smart TV in Japan?
Yes, NordVPN works on LG Smart TV in Japan, however, you’ll need to set it up on a router first. After that, you’ll be able to provide a VPN connection to your Smart TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, or gaming console.
Does LG have a VPN app?
No, LG TVs don’t have a VPN app because LG Smart TV uses WebOS and does not come with native support for VPNs. However, you can install a VPN on your router and utilize a VPN on your LG Smart TV.
Moreover, the VPNs we have selected offer apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices and also the Smart DNS feature so you can overcome geographical restrictions on your LG TVs.
Is using a VPN on LG Smart TV safe in Japan?
Yes, using a VPN on LG Smart TV is absolutely safe in Japan. We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for LG TVs due to its fantastic security and privacy features. It further comes with decent speeds and a robust no-logging policy.
What’s the fastest VPN for LG in Japan?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN service in terms of speed for LG in Japan. In our tests, Express VPN provided the fastest speeds for all types of traffic, including web browsing, video streaming, and file downloads.
Because of how extensive and dependable the network is, it may also be used to bypass regional blocks on many video-streaming websites.
What LG apps can you unblock with a VPN?
Unblocking most LG applications from other countries is possible using a VPN that has a big server network. Simply hook up your TV to a VPN
The following are examples of apps and websites you can use safely:
- Amazon Prime Video
- BBC iPlayer
- Sky Go
- ITV Hub
Can I watch Netflix on my LG Smart TV with a VPN in Japan?
Yes, you can watch Netflix using a reliable VPN in Japan which can unblock regional restrictions on streaming content, allowing you to watch your favorite shows from anywhere in the globe.
We have recommended the Best VPN for LG Smart TV in Japan in this blog which is mandatory to unblock platforms like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO as they are geo-restricted –
Therefore, you need to use a VPN to take full advantage of your LG Smart TV’s features for a fantastic streaming experience. Our top recommendation as the best VPN for LG Smart TV is ExpressVPN, as it is compatible with LG TV, offers blazing-fast speeds, exceptional unblocking capabilities, and robust security to users.
So which VPN have you chosen for yourself? Let us know in the comments below.