Plex media server stands as a leading video platform that caters entertainment needs of viewers around the world. If you’re passionate to watch videos, access favorite channels and stream movies from remote devices, then Plex is the all-in-one solution. However, like all popular entertainment services, geo-restrictions apply on various streaming channels available on Plex.
But, thanks to a Plex VPN, you can freely access almost any geo-blocked channels and plug-in on Plex from anywhere in the world. After reading this guide, you will learn how to use Plex VPN and achieve one-touch access to the world of on-demand entertainment with zero restrictions.
Top 5 Plex VPN for Unlimited Entertainment
Various video-streaming services like BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, Fox GO, ESPN, CBS, NBC, BeIN Sports, USTV Now are geo-blocked outside of their region. This is due to the content sharing & licensing agreement with partners. To unblock such leading-edge broadcasting channels on Plex, users need a Plex VPN. You can choose from one of the recommended Plex VPN services below:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
75% Off |
Buy 1 Year Get 1 Year Free
67% Off |
Coupon Code is '50off'
40% Off |
Limited Time Discount
35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
86% OFF |
Bypass Geo-Blocks on Plex Through VPN
In an experiment, we tried to access CBS on Plex from outside USA. However, we were immediately prompted with following error message:
After connecting to US server of a VPN:
As soon as we connected to the US server of Plex VPN, we achieved an instant access to CBS. Also, we streamed CBS 60 Minutes with no interruptions or buffering.
We suggest viewers choose a VPN that offers a multitude of servers to avoid network congestions. That said, Plex VPN services mentioned above offer hundreds of servers spread across main regions of the world. They will ensure a cutting-edge streaming experience to subscribers while they use Plex through VPN.
Why Do You Need a VPN on Plex?
Nothing is more pleasing than watching favorite channels on a fantastic video-platform. However, with freemium services like Plex come some limitations. To evade such limitations safely, users find Plex VPN as a suitable and cost-effective solution.
Here’re some of the benefits that you achieve by using Plex and VPN:
- One-touch access to top-rated channels (ESPN, CBS, Fox GO, HBO Now & more)
- Bypass geo-restrictions imposed on exclusive TV shows (House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black and much more)
- Evade state sponsored censorships
- Get rid of ISP bandwidth throttling and achieve high-speed media streaming
- Reliable protection against cyber threats when accessing untested and beta plugin
In addition to this, Plex VPN serves as a gate-way to world of on-demand entertainment with zero boundaries and restrictions. For years, streaming fans had to compromise on favorite shows, due to the imposed geo-blocks. But with the perfect unison of Plex and VPN, netizens have an opportunity to experience the leading-edge entertainment services without limitations
How to Use Plex With VPN
Plex VPN setup is a simple four-step process that doesn’t require any manual configuration. To begin using Plex with VPN, choose from one of the mentioned Plex VPN services, download, and install its app on your device. Upon successful installation, follow these steps (we will be using PureVPN for our demonstration):
- Access PureVPN and click on the settings icon located at top right corner of the window
- In settings, enter your username and password
- Now, click on Dashboard from left pane and select location as the United States
- Finally hit connect!
When connected successfully, you will be able to enjoy hours of non-stop entertainment on Plex without worrying about geo-restrictions. In addition to this, high-speed streaming, reliable connection and restriction-free access are the added advantage of using Plex VPN.
VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server
A VPN is useful under numerous situations, but can also have its drawbacks. One of the problems associated with using a VPN on Plex is that the streaming service has difficulty in fetching your content. It tries to route the data through the VPN IP address instead of your actual IP address. However, you can easily bypass this issue.
Thanks to XFlak, one of the users on Plex forum, you can run the script to remotely access you content even behind a VPN connection. He created a script and uploaded on Plex forums, so that you can bypass VPN to access Plex Media Server. Just download the batch file and follow these steps (the following steps for Windows 7 or higher):
- Launch Run menu on Windows (press Windows key + R)
- Type ‘Taskschd.msc’ in the run command
- Click on ‘Create Task’
- Give a name to the task and click ‘Ok’
- Now go to ‘Triggers’ tab and click ‘New’
- Under the ‘Begin the task’ dropdown menu, select ‘At startup’
- Also, select the checkbox of ‘Repeat task every 1 hour’ and select the duration to ‘Indefinitely’
- Now go to ‘Action’ tab and click ‘New’
- Browse to where you downloaded the batch file, select the file, and hit ‘Ok’
- Once you see the file under the ‘Actions’ tab, click ‘Ok’
- Access Plex Media Server behind a VPN!
Plex Remote Access with VPN
To remotely access Plex using a VPN, you have two options. The process illustrated in the section ‘VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server’ should also allow you to remotely access Plex. Just make sure that on your router, the port is forwarded to ‘32400’, same internal port as Plex Server.
On the other hand, you can also remotely access Plex using OpenVPN GUI. To do this, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Download OpenVPN software
- Install OpenVPN GUI on your system
- Next, download the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider’s website
- Load the OpenVPN config files to OpenVPN software and setup your VPN
- Now configure your router for port forwarding to your Windows machine
- Also assign another port for Plex through the server settings
- Once this is done, you should see a green checkmark under Plex Remote Access settings
How to Add Channels on Plex?
Being built on XMBC platform, Plex doesn’t come with pre-stored channels list. For this, we have created a simple step-by-step tutorial that will help you to add various channels on Plex:
- Access Plex on your system
- Click on Settings icon at top right corner of the window
- From left pane, tap on Channels and select Region as “United States”
- Now, go back to home screen and tap on Channels from left pane
- Next, you will see thumbnails of different channels, click on Install Channels button on top right corner of window
- Now, you will be presented with a page with various channels. Choose the desired category from left pane and select a channel you wish to install on Plex
In this tutorial, we have chosen CBS for Plex, despite its exclusive availability in the US. With a Plex VPN on your side, you will be able to access CBS and all other geo-blocked channels on Plex from anywhere in the world.
Plex is the mainstream video platform for an elite streaming experience. Smooth navigation, massive range of channels and superior playback make Plex a prime option for non-stop entertainment.
But sadly, millions of users are left unable to access various channels on Plex due to the imposed geo-restrictions. Plex VPN offers reliable data privacy, accessibility and top-notch streaming experience to viewers by instantly evading the geo-restrictions.
In this guide, we have unveiled how to use Plex through VPN, why should you use Plex with VPN and the benefits of using Plex and VPN. With that said, you’re all set to explore internet like never before. Make sure to drop us a comment about your experience or ask away any query that you might have with Plex VPN!