Plex media server stands as a leading video platform that caters entertainment needs of viewers around the world. If you’re passionate to watch videos, access favorite channels and stream movies from remote devices safely, then Plex VPN is your all-in-one solution.
Why use VPN for Plex?
To view media content safely on Plex, and stream all over the world without any issue you need a PlexVPN. After reading this guide, you will learn how to use VPN and access on-demand entertainment with zero restrictions.
For Plex remote access VPN, brief steps are provided for setting up a VPN. We have reviewed top 5 best VPN for Plex for unlimited Entertainment. Even you can stream safely and anonymously while streaming worldwide on Plex by using the VPN and unblock Geo-blocked content as well.
Top 7 Plex VPN for Unlimited Entertainment
Various video-streaming services like BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, ESPN, NBC, BeIN Sports, USTV Now are geo-blocked outside of their region. This is due to the content sharing & licensing agreement with partners.
Streaming users need a VPN for BBC iPlayer to run it outside UK. Similarly, in order to unblock such leading-edge broadcasting channels on Plex, users need a VPN. You can choose from one of the recommended VPN services below:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 74% Off |
Exclusive Discount 2 years Plan
| 79% Off |
3 Years Deal
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 75% Off |
3 Years Plan
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
PureVPN – Assists in Plex Online Activities
PureVPN is more than just a VPN and is a perfect match for Plex users. Its more than likeable feature is its ability to assist users regarding online activities. It gives you internet freedom to browse the internet, download Plex channels, break the geo-restriction barrier, and so much more. This is one of the reasons why rated it so high in our PureVPN review.
- 2,000+ global servers that unblocks Plex media
- 300,000 shared IPs
- Ozone-ready servers that boosts streaming
- Defeats ISP throttling
- 256-bit strong encryption
- No free trial but comes with 30-days money-back guarantee
NordVPN – Crosses Geographical Restrictions Using Plex
The reason why NordVPN makes in to this list is because it’s the most advanced VPN and through NordVPN Plex compatibility, one can cross any geographical restrictions. We have now seen that Netflix and other service providers could detect VPN presence, not with this VPN as our NordVPN review proves.
Therefore, preventing them to access online activity. However, NordVPN could get you anywhere on the internet and lets your stream any videos on Plex.
- Double VPN encryption
- Protects 6 devices with 1 account
- 5,000+ servers that can access Plex Live TV
- Easy-to-use apps
- Available for all platforms
- Slow down streaming speed
Surfshark is a highly capable VPN service with strong capability to unblock streams or any other website. The security features ensure excellent protection while you access media and content from around the world through this VPN, as unveiled in our Surfshark review.
- Based in British Virgin Islands
- Allows unlimited multi-logins
- 30-day refund period
- No native apps for Mac
CyberGhost is a great VPN for Plex Media Server. CyberGhost VPN helps you to access geo-blocked content as well as it keeps your privacy and hides your identity and makes you untraceable online. It also offers a 7-day free trial which basically acts as a free Plex VPN for 7 days.
- Hides IP while streaming
- Access restricted content on Plex
- Blocks malicious ads
- Fully encrypted internet with free trial
- Protects all your devices
- Yearly package is expensive
ExpressVPN – Stream Videos on Plex from Anywhere
- Based in British Virgin Island having no activity logs
- 2,000+ global servers
- Unblocks Plex media player Live TV
- Blazing-fast speed
- 30-days money-back guarantee
- Available for only 3 devices per account
PrivateVPN – Extremely Fast Streaming with Plex
PrivateVPN is an extremely fast VPN which makes a right source for Plex. Plex software is a place to watch movies, TV, and live IPTV. It helps you in fast browsing and spares you with buffering irritation.
- Unlock geo-restricted media content
- Anonymous streaming
- Zero buffering
- Zero data logging policy
- 30-days money-back guarantee
- Only 100 servers
Ivacy – A Combination of Speed and Safety
If you ever need a VPN that hides your identity and offers a blazing speed, then this is it. You get complete anonymity when you stream movies that are assumed illegal in most countries. We have assessed Ivacy’s quality in more detail in our Ivacy review. Thus, with Ivacy you are in good hands.
- Keeps data secure while streaming on Plex
- Unlimited speed
- 100+ locations
- Rock-solid security with 256-bit encryption
- 5 Multi-logins
- No free trial
IPVanish – Another Option to Watch Videos on Plex
IPVanish is another way to stream your favorite content through 1,000+ servers worldwide. The service offers fast connection speed that allows the users to avoid the issue of buffering hassle-free. Thus, if you want to use Plex anonymously on your devices, IPVanish is a good choice. We evaluated the main features of this VPN in a detailed review of IPVanish.
- 1,000 VPN servers that unblocks Plex media server
- User-friendly apps
- Zero traffic logs
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 256-bit encryption
- Only 7-days money-back guarantee
Plex VPN Download for Windows
To download Plex through your VPN, just follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: First you need to Download VPN and save it on your computer
Step 2: Once downloaded, Install the app and run it on your PC/Laptop
Step 3: Now subscribe to the VPN
Step 4: Once subscribed, open the app
Step 5: Enter Username and Password
Step 6: Connect to US server
Step 7: Open Plex Media server > Start streaming Live TV
Bypass Geo-Blocks on Plex Through VPN
In an experiment, we tried to access CBS on Plex from outside USA. However, we were immediately prompted with following error message:
After connecting to US server of a VPN:
As soon as we connected to the US server of VPN, we achieved an instant access to CBS. Also, we streamed CBS 60 Minutes with no interruptions or buffering.
We suggest viewers choose a VPN that offers a multitude of servers to avoid network congestions. That said, VPN services mentioned above offer hundreds of servers spread across main regions of the world. They will ensure a cutting-edge streaming experience to subscribers while they use Plex through VPN.
Benefits of using VPN for Plex
Benefits that you achieve by using VPN and Plex together:
- One-touch access to top-rated channels (ESPN, CBS, Fox GO, HBO Now & more)
- Bypass geo-restrictions imposed on exclusive TV shows (House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black and much more)
- Evade state sponsored censorships
- Get rid of ISP bandwidth throttling and achieve high-speed media streaming
- Reliable protection against cyber threats when accessing untested and beta plugin
In addition to this, a VPN serves as a gate-way to world of on-demand entertainment with zero boundaries and restrictions. For years, streaming fans had to compromise on favorite shows, due to the imposed geo-blocks.
But with the perfect unison of Plex and VPN, netizens have an opportunity to experience the leading-edge entertainment services without limitations.
How to Use / Setup Plex With VPN – Video Guide
In this video tutorial, we have discussed how to setup VPN on your Plex software. Watch Movies, Live IPTV Channels, and Live Sports safely with it.
Plex VPN setup is a simple four-step process that doesn’t require any manual configuration. To begin using a VPN, choose from one of the mentioned VPN services, download, and install its app on your device. Upon successful installation, follow these steps (we will be using PureVPN for our demonstration):
- Access PureVPN and click on the settings icon located at top right corner of the window
- In settings, enter your username and password
- Now, click on Dashboard from left pane and select location as the United States
- Finally hit connect!
When connected successfully, you will be able to enjoy hours of non-stop entertainment on Plex without worrying about geo-restrictions. In addition to this, high-speed streaming, reliable connection and restriction-free access are the added advantage of using VPN.
VPN Protects your Privacy without breaking Plex
By connecting to one of the VPN servers in a desired location, you get a “borrowed” IP, while your true identity remains hidden, which helps to protects your data without breaking Plex.
When you select a VPN location, the client software and the server work together to hide the traffic that travels between them. Thus, no one can see that you are making a connection to a streaming service until all the messages from that connection are passed between the VPN server and the streaming server.
This is the main reason, as connecting to a VPN is safe & secure.
When you connect Plex Media Server with a VPN, you not only win access to all kinds of streaming videos and movies around the globe, but it also protect your identity from occasional privacy leaks without breaking Plex.
VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server
A VPN is useful under numerous situations, but can also have its drawbacks. One of the problems associated with a VPN over Plex is its difficulty of fetching content while streaming. It tries to route the data through the VPN IP address instead of your actual IP address. However, you can easily bypass this issue.
Thanks to XFlak, one of the users on Plex forum, you can remotely access content even surpassing a VPN connection. He created a script and uploaded on Plex forums, so that you can bypass VPN to access Plex Media Server. Just download the batch file and follow these steps (the following steps for Windows 7 or higher):
Launch Run menu on Windows (press Windows key + R)
- Type ‘Taskschd.msc’ in the run command
- Click on ‘Create Task’
- Give a name to the task and click ‘Ok’
- Now go to ‘Triggers’ tab and click ‘New’
- Under the ‘Begin the task’ dropdown menu, select ‘At startup’
- Also, select the checkbox of ‘Repeat task every 1 hour’ and select the duration to ‘Indefinitely’
- Now go to ‘Action’ tab and click ‘New’
- Browse to where you downloaded the batch file, select the file, and hit ‘Ok’
- Once you see the file under the ‘Actions’ tab, click ‘Ok’
- Access Plex Media Server behind a VPN!
Plex Remote Access VPN
To remotely access VPN with Plex, you have two options. The process illustrated in the section ‘Plex VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server’ should also allow you to remotely access Plex. Just make sure that on your router, the port is forwarded to ‘32400’, same internal port as Plex Server.
On the other hand, you can also remotely access Plex using OpenVPN GUI. To do this, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Download OpenVPN software
- Install OpenVPN GUI on your system
- Next, download the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider’s website
- Load the OpenVPN config files to OpenVPN software and setup your VPN
- Now configure your router for port forwarding to your Windows machine
- Also, assign another port for Plex through the server settings
- Once this is done, you should see a green checkmark under Plex Remote Access VPN settings.
How to Use Plex with OpenVPN
Plex can be connected to a VPN once Remote Access is allowed. The below guide has been presented using PureVPN. You can use any VPN provider as long as you are using OpenVPN.
This process does not go through Port-forwarding so make sure your Plex does connect when VPN is not running.
Step 1: On your Windows, search for Command Prompt > Run the following command ipconfig | find “Default Gateway” and hit Enter > Note the IP Address as this is your Gateway.
For OSX users run the following command netstat -nr | grep ‘^default’ > Note your IP Address as this is your Gateway
Step 2: Now this step will be same for all users. Run the following command nslookup my.plexapp.com and note all the IP addresses that appears on your screen.
Step 3: Now add all the numbers in a format described below:
route [Plex addresses] 255.255.255.255 [Your Gateway] Just like the following for my IP:
route 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 188.8.131.52 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
Step 4: Now you need to add these addresses to the OpenVPN Configuration file. Then you need to restart your connection and try connecting Plex to remote access. Consider changing the manual port to 32400 and click on Apply.
Step 5: Plex would require Port Forwarding before it can allow VPN to bypass. Since you’re assigned with random ports, it can complex situation. You may require a normal router or a Firewall for the VPN to bypass.
How to Add Channels on Plex
For adding channels in to your Plex, there is a need for installing Plex Plugins for a particular channel. (List of Best Plex Channels) For instance, if you want to add MTV channel you require an MTV Plex Plugin. Follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Github Plex Plug-ins
Step 2: Find and Click on MTV Plex Pugin
Step 3: Click on ‘Clone or Download’ option > Then click on Download Zip
Step 4: Save the file > Right click on the file and select Extract Here
Step 5: A new folder will appear > Change the name of the folder i.e. MTV-Music-Videos.bundle-master to MTV-Music-Videos.bundle thereby removing ‘-master’.
Step 6: Now copy the same folder
Step 7: Now open Plex Plug-ins Folder and paste the MTV Plex Plugin (extracted folder)
Step 8: Open Plex Media Server > Go to Channels option > Here you will see your MTV Channel appear on the screen
These platforms include Windows, Mac OS X, Linux (Desktop); iOS, Android, Windows Phone (Mobile), Android TV, Roku, Chromecast, Xbox, PlayStation (Others).
You can avail both free and paid version; the paid version will cost you only $ 4.99/month with added features.
How to Unblock Restricted Plex Content
Since Plex streaming player shows Live TV channels, it is therefore restricted to certain countries. For example, if you’re living in US and trying to access Russian TV channel, you will have an unsuccessful run. We have provided you an example how a best VPN for Plex 2019 can help unblock a content:
- Login with your PureVPN ID and Password
- Select Streaming category
- Connect to US server
- Open Plex Media Server
- Select any channel
Plex Installation Guide on Different Platforms
Plex VPN for Mac
Plex VPN Mac allows you to watch TV shows, movies, and much more on your Mac devices. Furthermore, you can obtain different benefits like anonymity and protection of your crucial data after using a VPN for Plex on Mac.
How to Install Plex on Mac
The installation process of Plex on Mac is quite simple and does not take much of your time. Here is how you can install Plex on Mac and enjoy unlimited video content from anywhere.
- Download and run the installer for Plex media server
- A browser will launch and ask you to sign in or create a new account
- After accepting the terms and conditions, a setup wizard will start
- Now launch the Plex media server on Mac OSX by opening the applications folder
- Find Plex media server and double click it to start
- Use Plex media server through Plex web apps to control Plex and access media with any browser
- Now launch the Plex web app on Mac by locating the Plex icon (>) in your Mac’s top menu
- You can also right click the server icon in the dock and select Open Plex
- It will open the default browser and load Plex web app
- Sign in to your Plex media account and complete the Plex media server setup
- You should follow a series of steps that includes giving a name to your server and setting up your media libraries
- After completing the setup, you should test the media through Plex web app
Now, you should start enjoying Plex by playing its media server.
Plex VPN for Android
You can easily watch TV shows, movies, and much more on your Android devices. Furthermore, you can obtain different benefits like anonymity and protection of your crucial data after using a VPN on Android.
How to Install Plex on Android
Step 1: First, you are required to install Plex app on your Android Phone
Step 2: Open Google Play Store > Type Plex on the Search bar
Step 3: The first result that pops up i.e. Plex, click on it > Press Install
Step 4: Once installed, you’re set to install VPN
Step 5: Now subscribe to any of the VPN provider above for e.g. PureVPN
Step 6: Now search for PureVPN on Google Play Store
Step 7: Press Install
Step 8: Enter Username and Password > Select US server > Press Connect
Step 9: Now open Plex app on Android Phone > Stream any content while a VPN running at the back!
Plex VPN for iOS
Stream TV shows, movies and alot of stuff by using VPN on your iOS devices. Furthermore, you can obtain different benefits like anonymity and protection while streaming online.
How to Install Plex on iOS
Step 1: Open Apple iPhone > Go to iTunes App Store
Step 2: Search for Plex app > Click Install once you find the authorized app
Step 3: Now Subscribe to a VPN as described in the table above
Step 4: Now go to iTunes App Store once again > Search for the VPN for e.g. PuureVPN
Step 5: Install PureVPN app
Step 6: Enter Username and Password > Change your server to US > Press Connect
Step 7: Now open Plex app on your iPhone > Start streaming safely and securely!
Plex on FireTV
Plex is an officially supported app for Android Fire TV. Follow the steps below to obtain it:
- Search for “Plex” on the Amazon Store through Fire TV
- Download Plex
- Open the app and configure your account
- Launch a VPN alongside Plex and enjoy it on FireStick/Fire TV
The Firetv Plex VPN combination allows you to stream with no geo-restrictions.If you are cyberghost vpn user, then read our cyberghost firestick installation guide.
Connect Plex to VPN-enabled DD-WRT Router
You can also configure DD-WRT Plex VPN. A DD-WRT router allows users to manually change many of the router’s settings which you can’t even touch on conventional routers. The advantage of using DD-WRT VPN is that all your devices connected to the router will automatically be routed through the chosen VPN server.
So, as soon as you turn on Plex on your device, it will automatically be connected to a VPN running your router. You can find out how to set up a VPN on DDWRT router here.
How to Watch Plex Channels with a VPN that supports Port Forwarding
If you want to watch Plex channels without any restrictions on your Mac device, you have to use a VPN. However, you must make sure that your VPN should support port forwarding to enjoy seamless streaming. Here is how you can use your myPlex or PlexPass with a VPN.
Step #1: You should forward the port on the VPN
Go to VPN’s website and add a port forward by clicking the add button. The VPN will assign a random port that will be forwarded to the same local port. Now copy the generated random port number. When you see VPN_Port option, replace VPN_Port with your random port.
Step #2: Set up port redirection in Pf
Mavericks 10.9 (EDIT: And Yosemite 10.10) uses “pf” which is “The OpenBSD Packet Filter” for this type of thing (older Mac OS might have used ipfw or iptables)
Use the Terminal app to access the command line.
- Create this port forwarding config file:
- sudo nano /etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward
- Now put this into the file, replace VPN_Port with the random port
- To allow access to Plex Media Server from outside the VPN
- For example VPN_PORT = “10196”
rdr pass inet proto tcp from any to any port $VPN_PORT -> 127.0.0.1 port 32400
- Confirm that you have received the correct syntax.
- sudo pfctl -vnf /etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward
If you see unknown port VPN_Port, it means you forgot to replace the VPN_Port in the file with your own randomly generated VPN port.
- Create a pf config file:
- sudo nano /etc/pf.plex.conf
- Put this information in the config file
- rdr-anchor “simons-plex”
- load anchor “simons-plex” from “/etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward”
- pf doesn’t run by default on Mavericks so start it up:
- sudo pfctl -ef /etc/pf.plex.conf
Step # 3: Set up Plex server
Go to Plex media server web interface>Settings>Server>Connect.
- You should make sure that you are signed in with your PlexPass.
- Check the box “Manually specify port” and enter VPN_PORT. Click the button (Update/Retry/whatever).
- Now you will observe “Connecting Server”.
- After few moments, you will see “Server is mapped to port VPN_Port”.
Step # 4: Check it works with your mobile or any other device
You should turn off the Wi-Fi then log in. It should be connected automatically now. If it does not happen, refresh, Sync and wait for few moments. You will see it will be working, turn on your Wi-Fi again.
Give your Plex Server a static IP address
You need to make sure you that you must give a static IP address to your Plex server. By doing so, you can setup port forwarding feature according to your own terms. If you make changes to the VPN configuration, these changes will work appropriately. Here is how you can do to setup a static IP address:
- Open Control Panel>network and internet category>view network status and tasks
- From the sidebar, you should click the ‘change adapter settings’ link
- You should right click the primary network connection>properties menu
- Make sure to highlight Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IP 4)>properties
Fortunately, you can choose a static IP address for the Plex server. However, you need to provide gateway and DNS information. After providing the required information, you should click OK. You must note down the IP address because you will need it at the time of setting up a VPN.
Make a note of your Plex settings
You will have to connect to Plex with the web server to confirm your settings first before configuring your VPN to pass Plex traffic to your server. After performing this process, you must right click the tray icon and choose the Open Plex menu. Here is the list of steps you should follow:
- You should open the console then click settings from the left sidebar
- Click remote access, make a note of the port of your Plex that uses remote access
- This will allow you to use the port along with static IP address
Setting Up your Local network
You should setup your local network by the help of configuring your router. As a result, your router may send the incoming Plex connections in the desired manner. Still, you will need to use your static IP address.
Enable Port Forwarding on your Router
You can enable port forwarding feature on your router through the help of below mentioned steps. The list of steps includes:
- You should connect to the web interface of your router
- Through username and password, you can connect to the web interface of your router
- You should explore the settings for port forwarding that you can find through security from the left sidebar
- Once you have identified the port forwarding settings for your router, you need to provide Plex server information
- After providing applicant name, external port, internal port, protocol and device IP, you should enable check box to turn port forwarding for Plex On.
- Once you are done with the whole process, you can click the OK button to complete the port forwarding enabling procedure
Setting up your Mobile Device
After enabling the port-forwarding feature on your router, you can install a VPN on your mobile devices like Android, or iOS. Here is how you can install VPN on your Android or iOS devices:
- From the above given list, subscribe to the VPN service of your choice
- After subscribing, you should download and install the relevant VPN app on your Android or iOS device
- You can connect to your desired server location from the extensive servers list to secure your online privacy
Thus, you can take advantage of a VPN bypass feature to overcome any restrictions to streaming availability.
Plex VPN APK
If you are an Android user looking to download a VPN, you can do so via this apk link. Make sure you have enabled installation from third-parties on your device before going for apk download of a VPN for Plex.
Plex VPN Reddit Reviews
Reddit is a community of netizens where you can find subject threads on almost every issue in the world. Searching through Reddit, I found several users discussing VPNs for Plex.
One user recommended the follow VPN:
Another user forwarded a different recommendation:
FAQ’s of VPN for Plex
Any request made to your IP will function normally unless you try to access Plex from outside your LAN. By accessing outside your LAN, the Plex will route from your personal IP rather than through the VPN.
Wrapping Things Up
Millions of users are left unable to access various channels on Plex due to the imposed geo-restrictions. Plex VPN offers reliable data privacy, accessibility and top-notch streaming experience to viewers by instantly evading the geo-restrictions.
Make sure to drop us a comment about your experience or ask away any query that you might have with VPN for Plex