Plex media server stands as a leading video platform that caters entertainment needs of viewers around the world. If you’re passionate to watch videos, access favorite channels and stream movies from remote devices safely, then PlexVPN is your all-in-one solution.
Why Plex VPN?
To view media content safely on Plex, and stream all over the world without any issue you need a Plex VPN. After reading this guide, you will learn how to use Plex VPN and access on-demand entertainment with zero restrictions.
For Plex remote access VPN, brief steps are provided how to setup Plex VPN. We have reviewed top 5 best VPN for Plex for unlimited Entertainment.
Top 5 Plex VPN for Unlimited Entertainment
Various video-streaming services like BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, ESPN, NBC, BeIN Sports, USTV Now are geo-blocked outside of their region. This is due to the content sharing & licensing agreement with partners.
Streaming users need a VPN for BBC iPlayer to run it outside UK. Similarly, in order to unblock such leading-edge broadcasting channels on Plex, users need a Plex VPN. You can choose from one of the recommended Plex VPN services below:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 77% Off |
2 Year Deal
| 72% Off |
2 Years Plan
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
| 67% Off |
Limited Time Discount
| 88% OFF |
5 Year Deal
PureVPN – Assists in Plex Online Activities
PureVPN is more than just a VPN and is a perfect match for Plex users. Its more than likeable feature is its ability to assist users regarding online activities. It gives you internet freedom to browse the internet, download Plex VPN for Plex channels, break the geo-restriction barrier, and so much more.
To learn more about PureVPN, view our detailed PureVPN review.
NordVPN – Crosses Geographical Restrictions Using Plex
The reason why NordVPN makes in to this list is because it’s the most advanced VPN and through NordVPN Plex compatibility, one can cross any geographical restrictions. We have now seen that Netflix and other service providers could detect VPN presence.
Therefore, preventing them to access online activity. However, NordVPN Plex could get you anywhere on the internet and lets your stream any videos on Plex.
To learn more about how NordVPN works, view our detailed NordVPN review.
ExpressVPN – Stream Videos on Plex from Anywhere
ExpressVPN Plex is an easy-to-use VPN which allows you stream videos from anywhere, exactly what is required with Plex. It hides your online activity because you wouldn’t want your identity to be revealed once you stream free movies.
To learn more about ExpressVPN, view our detailed ExpressVPN review.
PrivateVPN – Extremely Fast Streaming with Plex
PrivateVPN is an extremely fast VPN which makes a right source for Plex. Plex software is a place to watch movies, TV, and live IPTV. It helps you in fast browsing and spares you with buffering irritation.
Ivacy – A Combination of Speed and Safety
If you ever need a VPN that hides your identity and offers a blazing speed, then this is it. You get complete anonymity when you stream movies that are assumed illegal in most countries. However, with Ivacy you are in good hands.
CyberGhost – Privacy and anonymity for streaming Plex
CyberGhost is one of the best Plex VPN for streaming Plex Media Server. CyberGhost VPN helps you to access geo-blocked content as well as it keeps your privacy and hides your identity and makes you untraceable online. View our guide of CyberGhost Review to learn everything about Cyberghost
IPVanish – Another Option to Watch Videos on Plex
IPVanish is another way to stream your favorite content through 850+ servers worldwide. The service offers fast connection speed that allows the users to avoid the issue of buffering hassle-free. Thus, if you want to use Plex anonymously on your devices, IPVanish is a good choice.
Bypass Geo-Blocks on Plex Through VPN
In an experiment, we tried to access CBS on Plex from outside USA. However, we were immediately prompted with following error message:
After connecting to US server of a VPN:
As soon as we connected to the US server of Plex VPN, we achieved an instant access to CBS. Also, we streamed CBS 60 Minutes with no interruptions or buffering.
We suggest viewers choose a VPN that offers a multitude of servers to avoid network congestions. That said, Plex VPN services mentioned above offer hundreds of servers spread across main regions of the world. They will ensure a cutting-edge streaming experience to subscribers while they use Plex through VPN.
Why Do You Need Plex VPN?
Nothing is more pleasing than watching favorite channels on a fantastic video-platform. However, with freemium services like Plex come to some limitations. To evade such limitations safely, users find Plex VPN as a suitable and cost-effective solution.
Benefits of using Plex VPN
Benefits that you achieve by using VPN and Plex together:
- One-touch access to top-rated channels (ESPN, CBS, Fox GO, HBO Now & more)
- Bypass geo-restrictions imposed on exclusive TV shows (House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black and much more)
- Evade state sponsored censorships
- Get rid of ISP bandwidth throttling and achieve high-speed media streaming
- Reliable protection against cyber threats when accessing untested and beta plugin
In addition to this, Plex VPN serves as a gate-way to world of on-demand entertainment with zero boundaries and restrictions. For years, streaming fans had to compromise on favorite shows, due to the imposed geo-blocks.
But with the perfect unison of Plex and VPN, netizens have an opportunity to experience the leading-edge entertainment services without limitations.
How to Use Plex With VPN
In this video tutorial, we have discussed how to setup Plex VPN on your Plex software. Watch Movies, Live IPTV Channels, and Live Sports safely with Plex VPN.
Plex VPN setup is a simple four-step process that doesn’t require any manual configuration. To begin using Plex with VPN, choose from one of the mentioned Plex VPN services, download, and install its app on your device. Upon successful installation, follow these steps (we will be using PureVPN for our demonstration):
- Access PureVPN and click on the settings icon located at top right corner of the window
- In settings, enter your username and password
- Now, click on Dashboard from left pane and select location as the United States
- Finally hit connect!
When connected successfully, you will be able to enjoy hours of non-stop entertainment on Plex without worrying about geo-restrictions. In addition to this, high-speed streaming, reliable connection and restriction-free access are the added advantage of using Plex VPN.
VPN Protects your Privacy without breaking Plex
By connecting to one of the VPN servers in a desired location, you get a “borrowed” IP, while your true identity remains hidden, which helps to protects your data without breaking Plex.
When you select a VPN location, the client software and the server work together to hide the traffic that travels between them. Thus, no one can see that you are making a connection to a streaming service until all the messages from that connection are passed between the VPN server and the streaming server.
This is the main reason, as connecting to a VPN is safe & secure.
When you connect Plex Media Server with a VPN, you not only win access to all kinds of streaming videos and movies around the globe, but it also protect your identity from occasional privacy leaks without breaking Plex.
How The Combination of PlexVPN Turns Out?
New Plex users are not accustomed to how Plex software works. Initial encounter with Plex could easily turn to disappointment when they learn only a handful of Plex channels are able to stream anything. This is due to geographical restrictions that prevent users from streaming the channel which isn’t available in their country region.
Once you started using a VPN you will see Plex flourishing with unlimited video content. While using Plex unofficial channels, a VPN will keep your connection secure, hence keeping your IP completely hidden. With unofficial channels, you can stream the latest movies, TV shows, and other media content without subscription.
VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server
A VPN is useful under numerous situations, but can also have its drawbacks. One of the problems associated with a VPN over Plex is its difficulty of fetching content while streaming. It tries to route the data through the VPN IP address instead of your actual IP address. However, you can easily bypass this issue.
Thanks to XFlak, one of the users on Plex forum, you can remotely access content even surpassing a VPN connection. He created a script and uploaded on Plex forums, so that you can bypass VPN to access Plex Media Server. Just download the batch file and follow these steps (the following steps for Windows 7 or higher):
Launch Run menu on Windows (press Windows key + R)
- Type ‘Taskschd.msc’ in the run command
- Click on ‘Create Task’
- Give a name to the task and click ‘Ok’
- Now go to ‘Triggers’ tab and click ‘New’
- Under the ‘Begin the task’ dropdown menu, select ‘At startup’
- Also, select the checkbox of ‘Repeat task every 1 hour’ and select the duration to ‘Indefinitely’
- Now go to ‘Action’ tab and click ‘New’
- Browse to where you downloaded the batch file, select the file, and hit ‘Ok’
- Once you see the file under the ‘Actions’ tab, click ‘Ok’
- Access Plex Media Server behind a VPN!
Plex Remote Access VPN
To remotely access VPN with Plex, you have two options. The process illustrated in the section ‘Plex VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server’ should also allow you to remotely access Plex. Just make sure that on your router, the port is forwarded to ‘32400’, same internal port as Plex Server.
On the other hand, you can also remotely access Plex using OpenVPN GUI. To do this, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Download OpenVPN software
- Install OpenVPN GUI on your system
- Next, download the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider’s website
- Load the OpenVPN config files to OpenVPN software and setup your VPN
- Now configure your router for port forwarding to your Windows machine
- Also, assign another port for Plex through the server settings
- Once this is done, you should see a green checkmark under Plex Remote Access VPN settings.
How to Use Plex with OpenVPN
Plex can be connected to a VPN once Remote Access is allowed. The below guide has been presented using PureVPN. You can use any VPN provider as long as you are using OpenVPN.
This process does not go through Port-forwarding so make sure your Plex does connect when VPN is not running.
Step 1: On your Windows, search for Command Prompt > Run the following command ipconfig | find “Default Gateway” and hit Enter > Note the IP Address as this is your Gateway.
For OSX users run the following command netstat -nr | grep ‘^default’ > Note your IP Address as this is your Gateway
Step 2: Now this step will be same for all users. Run the following command nslookup my.plexapp.com and note all the IP addresses that appears on your screen.
Step 3: Now add all the numbers in a format described below:
route [Plex addresses] 255.255.255.255 [Your Gateway] Just like the following for my IP:
route 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 188.8.131.52 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
Step 4: Now you need to add these addresses to the OpenVPN Configuration file. Then you need to restart your connection and try connecting Plex to remote access. Consider changing the manual port to 32400 and click on Apply.
Step 5: Plex would require Port Forwarding before it can allow VPN to bypass. Since you’re assigned with random ports, it can complex situation. You may require a normal router or a Firewall for the VPN to bypass.
How to Add Channels on Plex
For adding channels in to your Plex, there is a need for installing Plex Plugins for a particular channel. (List of Best Plex Channels) For instance, if you want to add MTV channel you require an MTV Plex Plugin. Follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Github Plex Plug-ins
Step 2: Find and Click on MTV Plex Pugin
Step 3: Click on ‘Clone or Download’ option > Then click on Download Zip
Step 4: Save the file > Right click on the file and select Extract Here
Step 5: A new folder will appear > Change the name of the folder i.e. MTV-Music-Videos.bundle-master to MTV-Music-Videos.bundle thereby removing ‘-master’.
Step 6: Now copy the same folder
Step 7: Now open Plex Plug-ins Folder and paste the MTV Plex Plugin (extracted folder)
Step 8: Open Plex Media Server > Go to Channels option > Here you will see your MTV Channel appear on the screen
These platforms include Windows, Mac OS X, Linux (Desktop); iOS, Android, Windows Phone (Mobile), Android TV, Roku, Chromecast, Xbox, PlayStation (Others).
You can avail both free and paid version; the paid version will cost you only $ 4.99/month with added features.
Plex VPN for Mac
Plex VPN allows you to watch TV shows, movies, and much more on your Mac devices. Furthermore, you can obtain different benefits like anonymity and protection of your crucial data after using a Plex VPN on Mac.
How to Install Plex on Mac
The installation process of Plex on Mac is quite simple and does not take much of your time. Here is how you can install Plex on Mac and enjoy unlimited video content from anywhere.
- Download and run the installer for Plex media server
- A browser will launch and ask you to sign in or create a new account
- After accepting the terms and conditions, a setup wizard will start
- Now launch the Plex media server on Mac OSX by opening the applications folder
- Find Plex media server and double click it to start
- Use Plex media server through Plex web apps to control Plex and access media with any browser
- Now launch the Plex web app on Mac by locating the Plex icon (>) in your Mac’s top menu
- You can also right click the server icon in the dock and select Open Plex
- It will open the default browser and load Plex web app
- Sign in to your Plex media account and complete the Plex media server setup
- You should follow a series of steps that includes giving a name to your server and setting up your media libraries
- After completing the setup, you should test the media through Plex web app
Now, you should start enjoying Plex by playing its media server.
How to Watch Plex Channels with a VPN that supports Port Forwarding
If you want to watch Plex channels on your Mac device, you have to use a Plex VPN. However, you must make sure that your VPN should support port forwarding to enjoy seamless streaming. Here is how you can use your myPlex or PlexPass with a VPN.
Step #1: You should forward the port on the VPN
Go to VPN’s website and add a port forward by clicking the add button. The VPN will assign a random port that will be forwarded to the same local port. Now copy the generated random port number. When you see VPN_Port option, replace VPN_Port with your random port.
Step #2: Set up port redirection in Pf
Mavericks 10.9 (EDIT: And Yosemite 10.10) uses “pf” which is “The OpenBSD Packet Filter” for this type of thing (older Mac OS might have used ipfw or iptables)
Use the Terminal app to access the command line.
- Create this port forwarding config file:
- sudo nano /etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward
- Now put this into the file, replace VPN_Port with the random port
- To allow access to Plex Media Server from outside the VPN
- For example VPN_PORT = “10196”
rdr pass inet proto tcp from any to any port $VPN_PORT -> 127.0.0.1 port 32400
- Confirm that you have received the correct syntax.
- sudo pfctl -vnf /etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward
If you see unknown port VPN_Port, it means you forgot to replace the VPN_Port in the file with your own randomly generated VPN port.
- Create a pf config file:
- sudo nano /etc/pf.plex.conf
- Put this information in the config file
- rdr-anchor “simons-plex”
- load anchor “simons-plex” from “/etc/pf.anchors/simons.plex.vpn.forward”
- pf doesn’t run by default on Mavericks so start it up:
- sudo pfctl -ef /etc/pf.plex.conf
Step # 3: Set up Plex server
Go to Plex media server web interface>Settings>Server>Connect.
- You should make sure that you are signed in with your PlexPass.
- Check the box “Manually specify port” and enter VPN_PORT. Click the button (Update/Retry/whatever).
- Now you will observe “Connecting Server”.
- After few moments, you will see “Server is mapped to port VPN_Port”.
Step # 4: Check it works with your mobile or any other device
You should turn off the Wi-Fi then log in. It should be connected automatically now. If it does not happen, refresh, Sync and wait for few moments. You will see it will be working, turn on your Wi-Fi again.
How does it Impact the Network Traffic?
Once you connect Plex remote access VPN, the network traffic will work normal. You will be able to see the servers like they always do. However, the remote traffic will be routed through a VPN IP address and not your personal IP address. This makes your connection private.
Any request made to your IP will function normally unless you try to access Plex from outside your LAN. By accessing outside your LAN, the Plex will route from your personal IP rather than through the VPN.
Give your Plex Server a static IP address
You need to make sure you that you must give a static IP address to your Plex server. By doing so, you can setup port forwarding feature according to your own terms. If you make changes to the VPN configuration, these changes will work appropriately. Here is how you can do to setup a static IP address:
- Open Control Panel>network and internet category>view network status and tasks
- From the sidebar, you should click the ‘change adapter settings’ link
- You should right click the primary network connection>properties menu
- Make sure to highlight Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IP 4)>properties
Fortunately, you can choose a static IP address for the Plex server. However, you need to provide gateway and DNS information. After providing the required information, you should click OK. You must note down the IP address because you will need it at the time of setting up a VPN.
Make a note of your Plex settings
You will have to connect to Plex with the web server to confirm your settings first before configuring your VPN to pass Plex traffic to your server. After performing this process, you must right click the tray icon and choose the Open Plex menu. Here is the list of steps you should follow:
- You should open the console then click settings from the left sidebar
- Click remote access, make a note of the port of your Plex that uses remote access
- This will allow you to use the port along with static IP address
Setting Up your Local network
You should setup your local network by the help of configuring your router. As a result, your router may send the incoming Plex connections in the desired manner. Still, you will need to use your static IP address.
Enable Port Forwarding on your Router
You can enable port forwarding feature on your router through the help of below mentioned steps. The list of steps includes:
- You should connect to the web interface of your router
- Through username and password, you can connect to the web interface of your router
- You should explore the settings for port forwarding that you can find through security from the left sidebar
- Once you have identified the port forwarding settings for your router, you need to provide Plex server information
- After providing applicant name, external port, internal port, protocol and device IP, you should enable check box to turn port forwarding for Plex On.
- Once you are done with the whole process, you can click the OK button to complete the port forwarding enabling procedure
Setting up your Mobile Device
After enabling the port-forwarding feature on your router, you can install Plex VPN on your mobile devices like Android, or iOS. Here is how you can install Plex VPN on your Android or iOS devices:
- From the above given list, subscribe to the Plex VPN service of your choice
- After subscribing, you should download and install the relevant Plex VPN app on your Android or iOS device
- You can connect to your desired server location from the extensive servers list to secure your online privacy
Thus, you can enjoy Plex VPN bypass or Plex VPN APK download feature on your devices instantly. Likewise, you can use Plex VPN for PC or other devices accordingly.
Wrapping Things Up
Plex is the mainstream video platform for an elite streaming experience. Smooth navigation, massive range of channels and superior playback make Plex a prime option for non-stop entertainment.
But sadly, millions of users are left unable to access various channels on Plex due to the imposed geo-restrictions. Plex VPN offers reliable data privacy, accessibility and top-notch streaming experience to viewers by instantly evading the geo-restrictions.
In this guide, we have unveiled how to use Plex through VPN, why should you use Plex with VPN and the benefits of using Plex and VPN. With that said, you’re all set to explore internet like never before.
Make sure to drop us a comment about your experience or ask away any query that you might have with Plex VPN!