Wanna run VPN on a Mac device?
Here, we will tell you about the best VPN for Mac with setup guides for different versions.
Mac is a computer operating system designed for Apple’ Macintosh devices. These days, Mac devices have become an easy target for online hackers. and that’s why, a VPN is the best solution to secure the online privacy of Mac users. We will put forth the leading VPNs for 2018 to run with your Mac device.
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 77% Off |
2 Year Deal
| 72% Off |
2 Years Plan
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
| 67% Off |
Limited Time Discount
| 88% OFF |
5 Year Deal
There are hundreds of service providers in the VPN industry’s most of them offer VPN for Mac. This can sometimes be quite confusing because most of these service providers offer resembling package plans. Nonetheless, some of the service providers try to lure you with their cheap price and tempting features. Our advice is to not to fall for their tricks.
Let us present 10 best VPNs for Mac for the year 2018, that can serve optimal alternatives to consider. These service providers offer feature-rich package plans in exchange of competitive price.
List of Top 10 Mac VPNs
Here is the list of VPN services that work perfectly on Mac devices. The list includes:
- Ivacy VPN
- Private Internet Access
1. PureVPN- A Perfect Solution for Mac Users
PureVPN is one of the top VPN providers that offer 750+ servers in 141 countries worldwide. It offers the best VPN client for Mac to secure the online privacy of Mac users at another level. Likewise, the provider has impressive compatibility feature that allows the users to opt the service on their desired devices. PureVPN is also counted in the best VPN for Windows and iOS systems.
- The provider offers seven days money back guarantee benefit to the users
- The service provides dedicated apps for different platforms and devices
- The service offers multi-login feature to the users
- The users can experience impressive customer support feature
- The users may anticipate tough refund policy
- The users can access to ad block feature on Chrome browser only
PureVPN for Mac OS X El Capitan
PureVPN is compatible with different devices including Mac. PureVPN supports diverse operating systems and platforms including Mac OSX. With its unique features such as Split-Tunneling, PureVPN is the most compatible among all Mac VPN choices.
PureVPN has 500+ servers geographically scattered in 140+ countries that will facilitate you bypass all the geo-restrictions and censorship concerns. Furthermore, PureVPN has 3 divergent package plans to choose from (monthly, semi-annually and yearly) with price as low as $2.91/month.
Unlike many VPN service providers, PureVPN offer gaming, streaming and torrent support all with one tool. Dedicated IP and Dedicated Streaming are value added benefits offered by PureVPN in exchange of very reasonable price
PureVPN is compatible on Mac 10.8 – Mac 10.9.5, Mac 10.5 – Mac 10.7, Mac 10.6.8, Mac OS X 10.10.0 and above. You can download the Mac VPN client from PureVPN’s website or configure the service manually.
To learn more about PureVPN, view detailed PureVPN review.
2. ExpressVPN- A VPN that offers best VPN for Mac Torrenting
ExpressVPN is one that offers the best VPN client for Mac devices. Furthermore, you can connect to any server of your choice from anywhere in the world since it offers 145 servers in 94 countries. The provider has one of the best VPN software for Mac that allows the users to attain online freedom from the eyes of ISPs and hackers.
- The service offers excellent support feature to the users
- The provider has thirty days money back guarantee benefit for the new subscribers
- The provider offers dedicated mac VPN clients for the users
- The service has strict refund policy for the subscribers
- The users may find the service bit expensive as compared to other providers
- The service does not offer a huge server network
Express VPN for Mac
Express VPN is one of the leading VPN service providers in the industry. With its wide range of package plans offered, Express VPN has earned quite a reputation in eyes of its customers. Express VPN with its strong server network in 75+ countries takes your security to a whole new level.
Not only this, Express VPN is compatible with different devices including Mac. Thus, it is a reliable option for those who use multiple devices. Express VPN has easy to use free VPN software with one-touch-connection feature. Express VPN supports PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP and OpenVPN tunneling protocols to maximize your data security.
ExpressVPN currently supports the following Mac devices: MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini. And, you can download its software on Mac OS X El Capitan, Mac Mavericks, Mac Yosemite, Mac Mountain Lion, Mac Lion, and Mac Snow Leopard.
Express VPN resolves all your concerns with the help of their 24/7/365 customer support. Their support personnel are responsible for all your queries and concerns with respect to the service. Express VPN accepts payments through PayPal, Bitcoin and all leading Debit/Credit Cards so that you may choose a transaction mode as per your convenience.
To learn more about ExpressVPN, view our detailed ExpressVPN review.
3. NordVPN – The State-of-the-Art VPN Service for Mac
NordVPN is another VPN service that allows the Mac users to attain online anonymity according to their own terms. The amazing virtual private network has presence in 56 countries through 2600+ servers worldwide.
Read a detailed review of NordVPN with specifications and service features.
- The service offers multi-login feature to the users
- The provider has user-friendly installation guides for Mac devices
- The service also offers 30 days money back guarantee benefit to the users
- The provider has strict refund policy for its users
- The service does not provide free trial benefit to its users
- The provider has not offered refund policy for BitCoin users
NordVPN for Mac VPN Service
Device compatibility will never be an issue for a VPN service provider like NordVPN. It works as smooth as a knife on butter. Known for its easy-to-use software, it is one of the best VPN software to install and run on your Mac devices.
NordVPN offers 650+ VPN servers in 50+ locations all across the globe. Its network is big enough to unblock all the websites that are restricted and blocked in your region. It costs as low as $4.00/month. It comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and offers OpenVPN, PPTP, SSTP and L2TP/IPSec as protocol options.
You can download VPN client for the following versions: Mac 10.7, Mac 10.8, Mac 10.9, Mac OS X 10.10, and Mac 10.11. Nord offers exclusive apps for each of these versions, allowing users to enjoy the service without any hassle.
To learn more about how NordVPN works, view our detailed NordVPN review.
4. Ivacy VPN- The best Mac VPN in Recent Years
Ivacy is a virtual private network based at Hong Kong that enables Mac users to experience online anonymity from anywhere. The provider has 275+ servers in 100+ locations worldwide that make the lives of Mac devices subscribers hassle-free.
- The provider offers multi-login feature to the users
- The service provides dedicated Mac VPN clients for the subscribers
- The brand has seven days money back guarantee for the potential users
- The provider does not offer user-friendly refund policy
- The provider has to increase its current servers network
- The provider should introduce free trial feature for the users
Ivacy VPN for Mac
Ivacy is our next recommendation to take your Mac security to a whole new level. With its wide range of package plans, Ivacy climbs its way up to the top 5 VPNs for Mac. It is a cost effective alternative as it offers VPN services at price as low as $11.95 per month.
Ivacy is also your ultimate tool to bypass geographic restrictions. It gives you unrestricted access to 250+ servers in 44+ countries, smartly installed across the globe.
Ivacy enhances your Mac security with its sophisticated tunneling protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP and PPTP. Ivacy is compatible with many other devices including Mac. With its 7 days money back guarantee, Ivacy is a highly recommended VPN for your Mac devices.
5. PrivateVPN- A Decent Choice for Mac Users
PrivateVPN has all the right reasons to become one of the best VPN service for Mac. This is because the provider offers 100+ servers from 56 countries all over the world. Thus, the Mac users may connect to any server of PrivateVPN to secure their online activities from anywhere.
If you find attractions in it’s features, you can read more about PrivateVPN here.
- The provider is compatible with Mac operating system
- The service offers thirty days money back guarantee benefit to the subscribers
- The provider has an attractive multi-login feature to the users
- The provider has strict refund policy for the users
- The users may anticipate connectivity issues during peak hours
- The service has improve its multi-login benefit accordingly
6. Windscribe- A VPN that has best VPN Software for Mac
Windscribe is a VPN provider that offers 500 servers in 140 countries of the world. Moreover, the service offers user-friendly installation guides for different devices like Windows, Mac, Android and so on. The provider has a list of compelling features for the Mac users.
Find Windscribe Review in detail.
- The service offers three days money back guarantee benefit to the users
- The provider has freemium version for the potential subscribers
- The provider offers strong level of encryption along with a list of tunneling protocols
- The provider has fewer customer support options for the users
- The users may face connection and troubleshooting issues
- The subscribers may find the price bit at the higher side
7. Hide.Me- A Service with impressive Mac VPN Client
Hide.Me is another committing VPN for Mac which also offers a free version. Moreover, you can connect to 30+ servers from all over the world to gain online anonymity hassle-free. The provider offers a list of impressive tunneling protocols along with the desired levels of encryption.
- The service offers multi-login feature to the users
- The service has impressive customer support function for the subscribers
- The provider has unlimited bandwidth feature for the users
- The users may experience connectivity issues
- The service has to improve its prevailing server network
- The provider does not offer different customer support options to the users
8. IPVanish- A VPN with attractive VPN Client for Mac Devices
What makes IPVanish a best VPN service for Mac is it’s user-friendly guides and a feature which allows multiple logins simultaneously. IPVanish has a huge presence in 60+ countries across the world. Furthermore, the service offers different benefits to the users that enable them to achieve online freedom straightaway.
- The provider offers user-friendly guides for Windows, Mac, Android and other platforms
- The service allows the users to enjoy the benefit of multi-login feature
- The service offers a list of different tunneling protocols coupled with required level of encryption
- The provider has strict refund policy for the users
- The provider is based at the US
- The service has not introduced free trial benefit for the users
IPVanish Mac VPN
IPVanish enjoys considerable market share comprising satisfied customers since 15 years. With price as low as $4.87 per month, IPVanish promises compatibility with different devices including Mac. There are many benefits associated with IPVanish which you can avail by purchasing it for Mac.
IPVanish has 180+ servers in 60+ countries offering broader access to diversified content. IPVanish VPN offers 25,000+ IPs for your Mac that will make you anonymous and untraceable online. IPVanish supports PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN to offer unbeatable encryption that promotes data security. With unlimited bandwidth offered, you can use IPVanish’s Mac service as much as you want.
You can download IPVanish Mac VPN client on the following operating systems: Mac 10.6.8 – Mac 10.9, Mac 10.10.0, and above. The VPN software is very easy to use and you can navigate to server locations with a click of a button. Alternatively, IPVanish also provides detailed guides for configuring the service manually.
9. Private Internet Access – A Service That Truly Facilitates Mac Users
This VPN service is another online privacy provider striving hard to become an influential player. In addition, the PIA has all the right attributes that count it in the best vpn services for Mac OS in 2018 and onward. Private Internet Access VPN provides a list of compelling features enough to grab the attention of the users.
See also: PIA VPN Review
- The service exclusively provides internet kill switch feature
- The provider has seven days money back guarantee benefit for the new users
- The service offers impressive customer support feature to the subscribers
- The provider does not offer free trial benefit to new users
- The subscribers may experience connectivity issues during prime timings
- The users does not have live chat benefit for the subscribers
10. HideMyAss- Another Interesting Choice for Mac Users
HideMyAss is the best Mac VPN as it offers a dedicated app for Mac users. The provider has a global presence since it offers its services in 190+ countries worldwide. Moreover, the provider allows the Mac users to enjoy the true meaning of online anonymity straightaway.
- The service offers dedicated app for Mac devices
- The provider has an attractive customer support feature for the users
- The service provides a list of impressive tunneling protocols to the subscribers
- The service does not have free trial advantage for the new users
- The service need to add ad blocking feature in its armory
- The provider should enhance its multi-login benefit
How to Choose the Best VPN for Mac
The quest for the right virtual private network for Mac needs some in-depth research. Here is the list of factors you must consider before you finally choose a VPN for your Mac device.
The list includes:
- The VPN service you go is available at affordable price
- You can opt VPN for your Mac device if the service does not keep the logs of the subscribers
- The VPN service ideal for Mac should provide extensive servers’ network
- The service should offer a comprehensive list of tunneling protocols to the users
- The provider should also offer 256-bit military grade encryption benefit to the subscribers
- The service should focus on resolving customer queries through 24/7 265 days customer support service
- It offers multi-login feature to all their subscribers straightaway
- The service should offer money back guarantee feature that allows the users to check its performance
- Offers a USP beneficial to the users
After going through the above-mentioned factors, you can select best VPN service for Mac devices of your choice. In order to select VPN services desirable for Mac devices, you can consider the above-explained VPN table.
Best VPN Client for Mac
When it comes to using best VPN client for Mac, nothing beats the importance of different VPN tunneling protocols. Moreover, the best VPN client for Mac allows the users to attain required level of anonymity and protection.
Through the best VPN client for Mac, you can secure your internet traffic from the eyes of ISPs and online hackers. Luckily, all the VPN service for Mac described above provide best Mac VPN client. In addition, tunneling protocols like OpenVPN, SSTP, IPsec, and others protect the online activities of the users to another level.
Likewise, you can take huge benefit from Kill Switch feature that secures all your online tasks like web surfing and others. This is because the said advantage does not allow hackers to trace your online activities even when the VPN services suddenly stop working.
How to Setup VPN on Mac X in 11 Steps – OpenVPN Setup
Now, if you’re wondering about how to setup VPN for Mac, then download and install Tunnelblick and PureVPN Tunnelblick files. Once you have the specified files, you can follow steps below to start using OpenVPN Mac OS X:
- Tap on Launch
- Choose I have configuration files
- Next, click on Tunnelblick VPN Configuration(s)
- Choose Done
- Access downloaded folder of PureVPN Tunnelblick and choose a desired server to connect
- Click on Only Me
- Now, enter Mac password to continue
- Tap on OK
- Now, tap on Tunnelblick icon from Menu bar and choose server
- Enter your VPN username and password, check mark Save in Keychain and proceed by clicking on OK
- Finally, you’re all set to use OpenVPN with Mac and explore tons of geo-blocked sites with supreme privacy and online protection
Note: The above mentioned steps will also help you to setup VPN for Mac Yosemite, Mac 10.5.8, Mac 10.6, Mac 10.6.8, Mac 10.7, Mac 10.8 and Mac 10.9.
How To Use a VPN on Mac?
Now that you know how easy it was to setup a Mac VPN, using one is just as simple. A VPN or Virtual Private Network, creates secure tunnels between your device and the website or service you are trying to access over the internet. All your data travels through these tunnels, making them secure from hackers, spammers, phishes, and others alike.
And, to add an extra layer of security, a Mac VPN encrypts all your internet traffic using military grade encryption. This way, if anyone breaches the secure tunnels and retrieves your internet traffic, all they will see are alphanumeric characters. By using a VPN on your Mac also provides you access to unlimited content over the web. you can access popular streaming services, bypass internet censorship and geo-restrictions, and watch all your favorite TV shows and movies from any continent.
Benefits of using a VPN for Mac?
There are many benefits associated with using a VPN for your Mac device. These benefits cannot be described in a few lines or paragraphs. However, I would try my best to prescribe the considerable benefits that you can avail by having a VPN installed in your devices.
If you want to secure your Mac device from serious online threats, you should always go for the topmost VPN services for Mac. Thus, you can protect your Mac devices from online hackers, ISPs and other data surveillance agencies instantly. Here is the list of reasons that suggest why you should prefer VPN for your Mac device:
For online privacy
Yes, you have read it right. You can use a Mac VPN app to obtain online protection and anonymity on your Mac devices straightaway. Moreover, you can perform your desired online activities from anywhere securely.
For unblocking geo-restricted content
The VPN for Mac allows you to gain access to your favorite region blocked video content be it movies, or TV shows. Furthermore, you can watch documentaries, sports channels, and much more through Mac VPN services.
For evading online censorship
If you wish to secure your web surfing from your ISPs and government, you need a VPN for your Mac devices. Moreover, you can enjoy anonymous web surfing by spoofing your online locations through alternate IP addresses.
For protecting against Wi-Fi Hackers
Using a VPN on Mac protects you from Wi-Fi hackers when you connect to public Wi-Fi. By doing so, you are able to protect your internet traffic from the eyes of hackers without any hassle.
For anonymous torrenting or P2P activities
You can perform torrenting activities on your Mac devices through best VPN for Mac. Yes, you read it correctly. This is because you are able to mask your original IP address with the IP address of the VPN server. Thus, the copyright holders and your ISPs are unable to trace your online streaming.
Protection of Confidential Data
Mac VPN offers unbeatable security backed by diverse encryption protocols. These protocols encrypt the data you send or receive while it is connected. Due to this feature, you don’t need to worry about cyber-goons anymore. If any cyber-goon tries to access your data, he will get encrypted trash nothing else.
Accessibility to Blocked Websites
With a VPN on Mac operating system, you can connect to any server you want. Most service providers have geographically dispersed servers in different regions. This helps you bypass all geo-restrictions and any censorship barrier. You can access, read and even watch content restricted by any region without any hassle.
Using a VPN for your Mac system, you can mask your real IP. When you connect to any server, your real IP is masked with a random IP representing that particular location where connected server is installed. This ensures absolute privacy and anonymity. Once your real IP is masked, no one will be able to trace your online activities. This means complete and autonomous freedom – you don’t need to worry about the NSA or GCHQ anymore.
With your masked IP, you can access public Wi-Fi hotspots without giving it a single thought. No hacker or identity thief will be able to bother you if your Mac VPN is connected. In fact, even your Internet Service Provider won’t be able to monitor your online traffic as you will be completely anonymous for the digital universe.
Enjoy Safe Travels
If you plan to go on a vacation or your business trip is scheduled, Mac VPN is a must-be-there component of your bag pack. It helps you connect to your favorite shows and channels even if you are in a country severely victimized by censorship regulations. There are many countries where you can’t even access your Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube and Tumblr etc. As a matter of fact, you can’t even check your Gmail in countries like China, Iran and now Turkey.
CVE Security Vulnerabilities in Mac Os X
According to Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) system, Mac is prone to various security flaws and vulnerabilities which may compromise netizens’ privacy, while exposing their private and confidential information. However, these security flaws are not permanent and can be overcome by using strong privacy tools like Mac VPN.
Here’re the most recent flaws and vulnerabilities discovered in Mac Os X:
According to vulnerability “CVE-2016-1788”, various operating systems by Apple possess weak encryption mechanism that allows hackers and intruders to sneak into users’ messages and conversations. The affected operating systems include Apple iOS versions before 9.3, Os X before 10.11.4 and watchOS before 2.2 release.
Vulnerable Screen Lock
A security fault “CVE-2016-1851” in all versions of Apple Os X before 10.11.5 makes screen lock feature to mismanage password profiles. It ultimately allows hackers and cyber criminals to reset expired pin codes in lock screen through unidentified vectors. To get around with this vulnerability, a Mac VPN can effectively encrypt your network connection and create a robust impregnable wall between your system and hackers, while ensuring top-notch protection.
Pegasus – Gateway to Information Theft
A vulnerability called “Pegasus” developed by NSO group, allows anonymous attackers to spy into each and every information in Mac Os X device running on Os X El Captain or Yosemite. Pegasus is capable of spying on users’ information and taking control of Mac devices. The spyware is targeted on a user’s system through a text message and eventually spreads when a user clicks on message link. To get protected against Pegasus, download and install latest security update patch by Apple.
Sparkle Malicious Update
One of the malicious flaws had been discovered in Sparkle software update back in February. The update leaves third party Mac apps compromised, leaving traffic between app and user intercepted by a hacker. Also, the vulnerable update allows various cyber criminals to conduct a man-in-the-middle attack. The flaw has been said to be fixed in the latest security update by Sparkle.
Frequently Asked User Questions about Mac VPN
We have created an in-depth FAQ section that offers simple and uncomplicated solutions to most commonly faced users’ queries. If you have any query regarding a VPN with Mac, feel free to find an answer below:
Which is the best VPN for Mac And iPhone to Achieve 100% Online Protection?
Mac OS X and iOS both are massively popular among tech-savvy geeks for exceptional stability and performance. However, various cyber threats including state surveillance, ISP monitoring, identity theft, fraudulent transfer, and data snoop revolve around Mac OS X and iOS users. Considering the threats to users’ privacy, IvacyVPN offers robust privacy tools and strong encryption protocols to deliver an elite online protection to both Mac and iOS users.
Are There Any Best Free VPN for Mac?
For in depth details we bring you for the best free VPNs for Mac. In case, you want to try a free VPN, then here’re some of the VPN for Mac and iPad with an absolute freemium plan:
- Hotspot Shield
Which is the most suitable OpenVPN for Mac?
OpenVPN is a massively popular privacy solution. OpenVPN uses OpenSSL encryption and SSL protocol, which make it a preferred solution to achieve top-tier online protection. Interestingly, no incident has been reported till now where OpenVPN was breached by anyone (including NSA). Currently, PureVPN stands as top Mac OS X VPN with OpenVPN support. Also, blazing fast streaming and zero-activity log makes PureVPN a suitable OpenVPN client software for Mac.
Best Mac VPN For Torrenting Safely & Anonymously
Torrenting or P2P file sharing is the mainstream method for sharing latest movies, shows, documentaries, music, popular videos and much more. However, thousands of users face copyright infringement notices and hefty fines for torrenting, due to illegality of file sharing process. Considering the severe risks around torrenting, NordVPN offers L2TP/IPSec protocol with 256-bit encryption keys for 100% safe and anonymous torrenting experience.
Which is the Best VPN for Mac UK?
The much controversial UK IP Bill has been passed by the House of Lords, expanding the surveillance power of spy agencies. With the IP Bill imposed on the Britons, IPVanish protects netizens online with exceptional privacy and data protection tools. The zero-activity log policy provides optimum secrecy to users against state surveillance. Also, IPVanish offers an instant access to UK exclusive services like BBC iPlayer, iTV UK, Sky Go TV, Spotify, UKTV Now and many more from abroad.
Best Mac VPN for Australia to achieve complete anonymity?
When it comes to Australia, state-sponsored surveillance has been getting severe day by day. With the state imposed data retention laws, Australian ISPs are required to collect and retain users’ browsing activities and metadata for up to two years. Considering the unjust ISP surveillance, users can choose ExpressVPN as a preferred Australian VPN. With top-tier encryption protocols and brilliant in-house apps, ExpressVPN offers matchless data protection and unrestricted accessibility.
Hence, our decision of preferring a more secure device doesn’t actually ensure our security or privacy. We will have to do more about it. My recommendation in this regard: go for the best VPN for Mac in 2018.VPN is the only tool we are left with that can ensure our privacy and security. With a VPN, you don’t have to worry about the cyber-goons, identity thieves, hackers, online stalkers or vigilant agencies like the NSA and GCHQ for that matter.