Finally, the wait is over. Yes, you have anticipated it correctly. Google has launched its first Android phone in the market that will surely give much needed tough time to iPhones. Surprisingly, more than 85% world’s mobile phone devices use Android-based technology.
However, if you use an Android Phone without protecting your privacy, chances are that you may become an easy victim of online hackers. Therefore, I would suggest you to explore some of the best Android VPNs in 2018 that secure your Android devices to another level.
Why do you need an Android VPN?
Android devices face greater risks than ever nowadays. The increasing cyber-attacks and hacking and phishing scandals have left users wondering if their devices will ever be truly safe anymore. This is where the role of best VPN for Android comes in handy.
Using an Android VPN also provides you and your devices from being spied on by surveillance agencies like NSA and GCHQ. The tunneling and encryption that is a standard part of VPN provide you unrestricted access to websites and contents all over the world.
To cut the long story short, best Android VPN service offers the below-mentioned benefits:
- Allows you to bypass region blocking hassles
- Enables you to download your preferred torrents anonymously
- You can use VPN for Android to bypass throttling issues instantly
- You may keep your personal information secure from the vicious eyes of ISPs and snoopers
How to Choose the VPN that works best on Android
Android users can select the best VPN for Android through a certain guideline. The first important factor is the strength of encryption provided by a VPN. The strength of VPN ensures how well you are protected.
The other factor is the availability and the number of servers in various locations. Lastly, you need to check on the price, or it offers any free trial before you can subscribe to the VPN.
You can also check out the best VPN guide to know about other VPN services available in the market.
5 Best Android VPN in 2018
The VPN servers ensure that your Android devices are safe. There are thousands of threats on the internet, and battling them all at the same time is not only an uphill task but also requires humongous security efforts.
I have evaluated and selected some of the finest VPN apps for Android devices. Here is the list of VPN services suitable for Android devices:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 73% Off |
Exclusive Discount 73% Off
| 75% Off |
3 Years Plan
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 73% Off |
6 months Free
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
PureVPN- Best for Advanced users
PureVPN is one of the best VPN for Android. However, it is not a free service for Android. PureVPN offers outstanding features at affordable price. In addition, this VPN for Android promises enticing additional features along with the basic functions that fulfill your needs of having an Android VPN.
Here are some of PureVPN’s salient features:
- PureVPN allows you to access more than 2000+ servers in 140+ countries. This broadly scattered server network allows you to evade all geo-restrictions.
- PureVPN offers you unlimited bandwidth. Now stream as much as you can on your Android device with PureVPN.
- Extremely affordable package plans starting from $2.99/month
- PureVPN supports PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN tunneling protocols.
- Not only Android, PureVPN is compatible with other platforms, operating systems and devices.
- Unblock and enjoy Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Go, Pandora and WWE Network etc on your Android device with PureVPN.
- Additional features include “Split Tunneling” and “Multi Login”.
- In case you face any issue configuring PureVPN on your Android device, their 24/7 live tech and customer support will help you out.
- Offers easy-to-use and one click installation free software.
- PureVPN is compatible on different versions including Android Lollipop, Android Marshmallow, etc.
- Provides detailed tutorials for manual configuration you can use on Android devices.
- PureVPN supports P2P file sharing
- PureVPN accepts payment through different payment modes including: PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, Plimus, WebMoney and Discover etc.
- The provider offers a best Android VPN app to its users
- The service provides best VPN for Android free download feature
- The provider offers dedicated Android apps for their Android users
- The users may experience connectivity issues during peak hours
NordVPN for Android- Best for Premium users
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service that follows strictly no logging policy. The service is compatible with all the major platforms including NordVPN for Android. You can download the NordVPN Android app from Google Play Store.
Here is the list of features you can consider:
- Offers 30 days money back guarantee to its users
- Provides multi-login feature to the subscribers
- It also supports P2P activities of the users
- It is compatible with major platforms like Windows, and mobile operating systems like Android
- The service has dedicated Android VPN app for the users
- The provider also offers user-friendly Android app installation guide to the users
- You can enjoy watching Netflix TV shows and movies on your Android devices
- The service is available in only 60+ countries worldwide
Explore our detailed NordVPN review to know about the service.
Surfshark- Best for Unlimited devices
Surfshark is one of the newest VPN services striving hard to become one of the major players in an online privacy. The service has all the right ingredients that make any VPN provider successful. Furthermore, you can use its dedicated apps on your desired platforms to secure your privacy from anywhere.
Luckily, Surfshark offers OpenVPN along with IKEv2 protocols. Thus, you can avail the military grade 256-bit encryption feature by default. Above all, you can avail its marvelous unlimited multi-login benefit that allows you to protect your different devices including Android at a time.
- Offers 30 days money back guarantee
- Provides kill switch feature to users
- Unblocks Netflix with an ease
- Does not offer a huge server network
Explore our exclusive Surfshark review to discover hidden attributes of the provider.
CyberGhost- Best for VPN Newbies
CyberGhost is another VPN that you can try as an Android VPN to secure your devices. The provider is currently offering its services in all the leading countries of the world through 1000+servers. If you want to know how to setup VPN for Android free, you can opt for CyberGhost review.
You can download CyberGhost Android VPN app from Google Play Store.
The provider offers distinct salient features like:
- Offers 1000+ servers to its users worldwide
- Provides protection on public Wi-Fi
- Compatible with major mobile operating system like Android
- Provides 256-bit military grade encryption
- The service provides an attractive Android app for the users
- The service offers budget friendly pricing plans to the subscribers
- The service does not offer a free version anymore
ExpressVPN- Suitable for Cyber Security fans
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN for Android that can be recommended for an Android device. With Express VPN’s geographically dispersed servers, you not only breakthrough all restrictions but also hide behind numerous random IPs.
View our detailed ExpressVPN Review for more details.
Express VPN protects your data and offers absolute anonymity, making your Android device invulnerable to hacks, surveillance, and unauthorized assaults. Moreover, the service offers best VPN settings for android devices. You may download the ExpressVPN app for your Android devices from Google Play Store.
Here is the list of benefits that ExpressVPN offers and these are:
- Compatible with all preferably used Android versions
- Servers available in 94+ countries
- PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, SSTP and OpenVPN support
- Data security facilitated through 256-bit encryption
- Easy to use VPN software
- Resolves all your concerns through 24/7/365 customer and tech support
- Diverse transaction modes offered: PayPal, Bitcoin and all leading Debit/Credit Cards
- 30 days money back claim
- The service has an impressive best Android VPN app for the subscribers
- The service offers an exclusive multi-login benefit to the users
- Excellent customer support available
- The provider has expensive pricing plans to the subscribers
How to Setup Android VPN
You can install setup and install Android VPN on your Android devices in many ways. However, I have listed the easy method that you can apply via Google Play Store. Follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Select any best Android VPN from the table listed above
Step 2: Open your Android device
Step 3: Go to Google Play Store and search for the desired VPN provider
Step 4: Install the VPN app > Select servers > Enjoy internet freedom!
OpenVPN for Android
Interestingly, you can use an open source VPN app if you do not want to use third party APK files. After installing the app, you should click the plus sign given at the top right corner. This way, you can add a VPN profile straightaway.
You should select an import option to download an existing configuration file. Moreover, you will have to use OpenVPN configuration file that you can download from your VPN service’ website hassle-free. This is how you can use OpenVPN configuration file on your Android devices.
If you do not have Google Play, use the APK
Unfortunately, using an Android device without Google Play can become a cumbersome task. This is because it takes lot of efforts to explore your desired Android VPN app. Still, you can achieve your objective by downloading the APK file for the app. Hence, you can install the APK file on your own.
Once you have changed the settings in your device, you can download apps from third parties. Here is how you can do:
- Through settings, you must select the security option
- You should scroll down to “unknown sources” and turn it on
- After tick marking the said option, you can install apps from unknown sources
After performing the above-described process, you can proceed further by finding the APK file for VPN app. From your VPN provider’s official site, you can get APK file instantly.
Can I Use a VPN on My Android Tablet?
Majority of Android Tablets work exactly as Android Phone since they have Google Play Store downloaded. You can an Android VPN for tablet by installing a particular VPN app from Google Play Store, as you do for Android phone.
However, there is an exception for Amazon Fire Tablets because there is an Amazon App Store instead of Google Play Store. In Amazon App Store, you will not find many VPN apps. Fortunately, we have ways to get you VPN app for Amazon Fire Tablet. Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Get an Android APK file for the particular VPN provider
Step 2: Side-load the VPN app
Step 3: Now download OpenVPN for Android
Step 4: Configure the VPN provider using OpenVPN configuration files
Step 5: Now root your Amazon Fire Tablet
Step 6: Now enjoy internet freedom after connecting to the VPN
Manual VPN Settings for Android
Many VPN providers offer custom VPN clients for Android devices. However, some providers are yet to catch up with the pace of the VPN industry and need efforts from your end. If you select a VPN provider that has no client for Android, you can always go through this guide for manual VPN settings for Android.
How to manually configure an Android VPN
Therefore, without wasting any time further, I will let you know how to set up VPN on Android manually.
Android VPNs Built-in Client Setup Process
Select the protocol you want to use whilst setting up VPN on your android device. Following are the most common protocols that are offered by the latest Android firmware:
- L2TP/IPsec PSK
- L2TP/IPSec RSA
- IPSec Xauth PSK
- IPSec Xauth RSA
- IPSec Hybrid RSA
Based on the protocol you want to use; ask your VPN service provider to provide you with the respective following details:
Your VPN service provider might not provide you ALL of these elements but make sure you ask for these elements (read: protocols) so that your VPN service provider knows that you are a VPN veteran who must be treated with care and respect. Android’s built-in VPN client offers PPTP, L2TP, and IPsec as standard protocols.
Right, so now begin the actual steps that will answer your question of how to set up VPN on Android.
Step 1 – Tap on ‘Settings’ on your Android device. The following will appear on your screen:
Step 2 – Tap on ‘More’ and the screen will reveal ‘Wireless & Networks’ under the settings tab.
Step 3 – ‘VPN’ will be the second option under the new “Wireless & networks” settings. Tap on it to set up a new profile.
Step 4 – Tap ‘VPN’ and you will see various options where you will be able to activate, add, edit and delete manual VPN configurations.
Step 5 – Tap on the ‘+’ on the top right corner of the screen. It lets you add a new manual VPN configuration. As you can see, the above screenshot represents a scenario in which no VPN configuration profiles have been added.
You can still add new configurations by tapping ‘+’ even if you have existing manually configured VPN profiles. That is, if you are not willing the existing configuration profile.
Step 6 – Now you will be required to select your desired VPN protocol in order to proceed further.
You can always consult the chart I placed at the beginning of the setup process to fully understand the working phenomenon of each protocol.
Step 7 – After having selected your desired protocol, tap on ‘Save’ so you can go back to the main VPN screen. Your newly created VPN configuration profile will now be visible to you.
Step 8 – The final stage requires you to tap on the configuration profile you just created. It will let you enter the ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ (provided to you by your service provider) to establish your VPN connection successfully.
Remember! You can always edit or delete your created VPN profile by simply keeping your finger pressed on the VPN configuration profile you wish to edit or delete.
Why I don’t suggest Free Android VPNs
Free VPNs do not come up with users’ expectations. In terms of speed, they are not reliable and as a result, you have to compromise a great deal. If you are not interested to pay, you will not be able to get the features of full-fledged VPN service.
In addition, if you are not paying for the product then it means you are the product. VPN services those do not charge from their users sell your logging details to marketers. By doing so, they are able to perform their operations on a regular basis.
Apart from this, privacy is one of the major concerns that relate to free VPNs. They cannot provide your desired level of anonymity and protection online. Thus, ISPs and other data surveillance agencies can keep an eye on your online activities.
Best VPN for Android Devices Reddit
Reddit is one of the most popular communities you can select to get answers related to all your privacy queries in no time. According to the viewpoint of one Reddit user, you can choose SurfShark VPN to get 7 days free trial feature.
For instance, downloading torrents with or without a VPN is illegal in many countries. Therefore, if you are trying download by gaining access through a VPN in country with anti-torrenting laws, you might be walking on illegal territory. However, if you are using a VPN simply as a security measure, then there is no reason why any legal authority should object.
- Secures your online privacy from ISPs and online hackers
- You can spoof your online locations and watch your desired media content
- You may overcome online censorship issues instantly
- You can perform the process of torrenting according to your own demands
From the list of our best VPN services for China, you may attain online freedom and anonymity both under one roof. Likewise, you can bypass other issues such as Google ban as you cannot access Google Play Store in China.
Therefore, if you are traveling to China, you should download your preferred Android VPN app from Google Play Store. By doing so, you will not need to try different workarounds to download Android VPN app in China.
Android devices are more likely to face security issues as compared to devices like smartphones and others. The risks associated with unreliable and malicious apps make Android devices vulnerable to unauthorized assault. The solution is to get the best Android VPN.
I hope my above-described guide will solve all your queries and allow you to get a VPN that suits your budget and privacy needs.
If you want to share your opinion, you are more than welcome to do so in the comments below.