How to Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV – Step by Step Guide
The redesigned Samsung Smart TV is a massive improvement over early Smart TV designs. Outfitted with a vivid-brilliant display, eye-catching design, simplified menu, and stunning features, it is a new-age television for entertainment hunters. An integrated web-browser lets you explore any information, movie, TV series, games, and popular videos at your fingertip.
However, all good things come with some limitations, and thus, users face a barrier of geo-restrictions when accessing popular on-demand entertainment services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, 4oD, Fox GO etc. A Samsung Smart TV VPN is the key that can grant you access to blocked services and streams.
Read along to discover the best Smart TV VPN services and learn how to setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV.
Top Smart TV VPN Services 2020
To identify the best Smart TV VPN services, we carried out an experiment and tested various VPN services. Fortunately, we came up with following best Smart TV VPNs that worked flawlessly and performed trouble-free on Sony Bravia, Samsung and LG Smart TVs. By using one of the following Smart TV VPN / Apple TV VPN, you will be able to unlock tons of streaming sites and services from anywhere in the world within seconds.
If you wish to use a VPN for online security or other purposes, check out these best VPN services.
Have a safe unblocking and streaming experience with following top-ranked Smart TV VPNs:
- PureVPN – $2.91/mo
- Surfshark – $1.99/mo
- Ivacy – $2.25/mo
- ExpressVPN – $8.32/mo
- CyberGhost – $2.75/mo
- NordVPN – $3.49/mo
1. PureVPN- Cheap yet highly efficient
PureVPN is one of those smart TV VPN services currently providing its services in 141 countries worldwide. It offers fast speeds on all of its servers, making it a great choice for accessing blocked streams.
Hence, PureVPN is a top-notch Samsung Smart TV VPN.
- Provides 2,000+ servers in 141 countries
- Offers compatible apps for all leading platforms
- Provides 256-bit military grade encryption to users
- The cheapest VPN service
- Offers paid trial feature to users
2. Surfshark- Offers unlimited multi-login benefit to Users
As a service based in British Virgin Island, Surfshark is smart enough to work with Samsung TV. The newbie VPN provider is offering 1040+ servers in 61+ countries globally. Likewise, you can experience a comprehensive list of other impressive features on your Samsung Smart TVs and other devices.
- Offers an efficient customer support 24/7 365 days a year
- Provides unlimited multi-login benefit
- Delivers 30 days money back guarantee
- Does not have a free trial advantage
3. Ivacy – Good all-around performance
Ivacy is one of the fastest VPNs in the industry with an impressive network of 1,000+ servers in 100+ countries. Though, it doesn’t have a dedicated app for Samsung Smart TV, you can still set it up manually by sharing a connection with your PC (described below). It is particularly good for unblocking geo-restricted streaming services right away. You can connect Ivacy with 5 different devices at the same time.
- Fast speeds
- Good for streaming
- Delivers 30 days money back guarantee
- Based in Singapore (cooperative member of Five Eyes)
4. ExpressVPN- Pricey but extremely effective
ExpressVPN for Smart TV is a service that is decidedly more expensive as compared to other alternatives in the industry. However, it is surely an amazing choice when it comes to unblocking smart TV apps through smart TV VPN on your preferred devices. Because of it’s unblocking capabilities, it’s one of the best VPN or streaming.
The 2,000 servers operating under are distributed in over 94 countries. It is compatible with almost every device and operating system out there, including Samsung Smart TVs. Owing to its consistently fast speeds and an impressive server spread, ExpressVPN is an excellent SmartTV VPN for users that can afford it.
- 2,000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Offers excellent customer support feature
- Provides multi-login benefit to users
- Provider is based at the US
5. CyberGhost- Provides 45 days Money Back Guarantee
CyberGhost is another VPN service offering an unbelievable 45 das money back guarantee to users worldwide. At present, it offers its services in all the major countries of the world through 6,000+ servers. You can set up CyberGhost on your Samsung Smart TV if you connected to your router configured with this VPN (as described below).
- Follows no-logging policy in true letter and spirit
- Allows you to secure your 7 devices with a single subscription
- Offers a comprehensive list of online payment methods
- Average speeds may spoil the fun of users at times
6. NordVPN- has huge Servers List
We don’t recommend NordVPN at the moment due to its security vulnerabilities.
NordVPN being a Panama based provider is known for its huge server network and strong security features. Its capability to bypass geo-restrictions coupled with fast server speeds makes it a great choice for streaming purposes.
The subscription rates are also quite cheap considering it is one of the leading brands in the VPN industry. Therefore, there is hardly any room for doubt that NordVPN is a superb Samsung Smart TV VPN.
- Offers 4,700 servers in 62 countries
- Provides real time efficient customer support
- Has numerous user-friendly apps for smart TVs and other devices
- Users may anticipate slow streaming speeds at times
Setup VPN for Smart TV Samsung through PC
You can also setup a VPN for Smart TV Samsung by sharing connection with your PC.
- Open your computer and click Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
- Find the TAP adapter associated with your VPN.
- Right-click on it to enter Properties, then click the sharing tab.
- Now, check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”
- Choose the Ethernet connection you have configured these settings for in the drop-down menu.
- Restart your PC and use this newly created connection on your Samsung Smart TV for endless streaming!
Setup VPN on DD-WRT Router
In my opinion, the most simple method for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is through routers. Once you have the service configured, all the devices connected to the router will have VPN connection.
*Note: The VPN setup of router depends on router type and may vary from VPN provider to provider Following VPN setup is for DD-WRT routers.
- Go to Setup then Basic Setup
- From Connection Type drop-down menu select PPTP
- Enter the VPN server address in Gateway (PPTP Server) field
- Enter the username and password
- Make sure to enable Use DHCP
- Check if your VPN providers requires MTU settings from Optional Settings
- Now scroll down to Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
- From DHCP Type option, select DHCP Server and also hit Enable
- Enter DNS addresses provided by your VPN provider
- Make sure to disable Use DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS
- Now hit Save and Apply Settings to connect to the VPN service
Check out the detailed blog of VPN Router, if you want to install DD-WRT firmware on routers OR install a VPN on routers with DD-WRT firmware.
How to Setup Smart DNS on Samsung?
Smart DNS is another technology that works in a way somewhat similar to proxies and VPNs. It can effectively give you the pass through restricted sites without much hassle. However, it does not encrypt user traffic, which is why it is much less secure than VPN services. The lack of encryption has the effect of making Smart DNS services faster, at the cost of reduce security.
So, if security is not your priority and fast streams are what you are aiming for, then Smart DNS can be the right choice for you.
To install Smart DNS on your Samsung Smart TV, follow the steps below:
- Press menu on the remote control of your Smart TV
- Navigate to Network
- Select Network Status
- Choose IP settings
- Open DNS Setting and select “Enter Manually”
- Enter the DNS server address provided by your Smart DNS service
- Select OK
- Restart your Smart TV once connection test is completed
Make sure that your Samsung Smart TV’s region matches the services you wish to stream. If you want to watch US-based channels like HBO and Netflix US, you will need to change your TV’s region to USA.
*Note: We still advise you to opt for a VPN service for better security, bypassing region restriction and hassle free streaming anywhere in the world.
How to Setup VPN on Smart TV with Android OS
The above methods work perfectly to setup VPN on Smart TV work for Samsung’s Tizen OS. However, if your SmartTV’s operating system is based on Android, then you can download VPNs simply through the Google Play Store. You can check with your TV manufacturer to see if it is running Android.
To install a VPN on your Android SmartTV, follow these steps below:
Note: We tested the following process with PureVPN and it worked like magic.
- Choose a VPN from our recommended list of VPNs (as these are the best VPNs compatible with Android).
- Search for your preferred VPN in the Google Play Store from your SmartTV
- Download and install the VPN apk file on your TV
- Enter your subscription credentials into the app
- Launch the app, choose your desired server, and enjoy VPN services on SmartTV.
Unfortunately, these steps won’t work if your SmartTV OS is not Android. Nonetheless, you can still share a VPN-protected network with your SmartTV. The first option is to setup a VPN on your router.
Free Download VPN for Smart TV LG, Samsung, and Sony
Beside premium Samsung VPNs, there are some free VPN services available in the market. However, such VPN should never be compared with a paid VPN service, as many times; free VPN come packed with third-party advertisers that bombard annoying ads in your browser.
Also, privacy concern remains high when using free services, due to fact that provider can sell your browsing history to law enforcement agencies. In addition, a number of servers, protocols and other features offered by free providers are fewer than paid ones.
Also Read: Best Samsung VPN
Reddit Reviews About SmartTV VPN
Reddit is a go-to community for users when it comes to discussing different products and services with other users worldwide. Here is the response of one Reddit user suggesting about the usage of smart DNS and DDWRT router to stream Netflix on Samsung Smart TV.
Checkout an exclusive Reddit VPN guide that has been created according to Reddit users’ recommendations.
Wrapping Things Up
VPN has been catering accessibility and privacy needs of netizens’ for years. As Smart TVs become more common, the need for a Samsung Smart TV VPN is increasing to bypass restrictions on online channels. Simply set up a VPN on your TV with one of the methods described above.
I hope this article proved to be of some assistance to you. Share your feedback in the comments section below.