How to Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV – Step By Step Guide
In this article, you are going to learn “how to setup a VPN on Samsung Smart TV” on Android, and Tizen operating system. Moreover, if you’re looking for a Samsung Smart TV VPN to evade geographical restrictions on popular streaming channels and websites, here is a list of “best VPNs” that caters to the needs of Samsung TV users.
How to Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV using Android
The above method helps you to Setup a VPN on Smart TV work for Samsung’s Tizen OS. However, if your Smart TV’s OS is of Android, then you can download VPN for the Google Play Store. You can also check with your TV producer to see if it’s running Android or not.
Follow these steps To install a VPN on your Android Smart TV:
- Get the Subscription of ‘VPN’ that is compatible with Android.
- After that, visit the ‘Google Play Store’ and download the VPN from your Smart TV.
- Now, install VPN’s ‘apk’ file on your smart TV and enter the credentials.
- Choose the Nearest ‘Server location’.
- Click the ‘connect’ button and bypass Geo-restricted content.
Sadly, these steps won’t work if your Smart TV operating system is Tizen. Nonetheless, you can still share a VPN-protected network with your Smart TV. The first option is to setup a VPN on your router.
Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV using DD-WRT Router
In my opinion, the most simple method for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is through routers. Once you have a VPN configured, all the devices connected to the router will have a VPN connection.
Following is the VPN setup of Samsung TV for DD-WRT routers and Tizen operating system:
- Go to Setup then Basic Setup
- From ‘connection type’ drop-down menu select ‘PPTP’.
- Enter the ‘VPN server address’ in Gateway [PPTP Server] field.
- Enter the username and password.
- Make sure to enable ‘Use DHCP.’
- Check if your VPN providers require ‘MTU’ settings from ‘Optional Settings.’
- Now scroll down to ‘Network Address Server Settings’ [DHCP].
- From the DHCP Type option, select DHCP Server and also hit ‘enable.’
- Enter ‘DNS addresses‘ provided by your VPN provider.
- Make sure to disable Use DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS.
- Now, click the ‘Save and Apply’ Settings to connect the VPN service.
Note: The setup of a VPN router depends on the type of router you have and vary from a VPN provider to another. However, you can read our detailed blog of VPN Router if you want to install DD-WRT firmware on routers or install a VPN on routers with DD-WRT firmware.
How to Setup Smart DNS on Samsung TV?
Smart DNS is a different technology that works in a way somewhat similar to proxies and VPNs. It can effectively give you the pass through restricted sites without much hassle.
However, it does not encrypt user traffic, which is why it is much less secure than VPN services. The lack of encryption has the effect of making Smart DNS services faster at the cost of reducing security.
So, if security is not your priority and fast streams are what you are aiming for, then Smart DNS can be the right choice for you.
Follow these steps to install Smart DNS on your Samsung TV:
- Go To ‘menu’ on the remote control of your Smart TV.
- Navigate to Network > Select ‘Network Status’.
- Choose IP settings.
- Open ‘DNS Setting’ and Select ‘Enter Manually’.
- Enter the ‘DNS address’ provided by your Smart DNS service.
- Press the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, restart your Smart TV once the connection test is completed.
Make sure that your Samsung Smart TV’s region matches the services you wish to stream. For example, If you want to stream US-based channels like HBO or Netflix, you will need to change your TV’s region to the USA.
Setup VPN for Smart TV Samsung through PC
You can set up a VPN on Samsung Smart TV by sharing your internet connection with PC.
- Go to > Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now, find the ‘tap adapter’ connected with your VPN provider.
- Click ‘right’ on it and jump into ‘properties.’
- Then click the ‘Sharing Tab.’
- After that, ‘tick’ the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’
- Now click the ‘drop-down’ menu > choose the ‘Ethernet’ connection you just configured.
- Let’s restart your PC and use this newly formed connection on your Samsung Smart TV for endless streaming!
Keep on reading to discover the best Samsung Smart TV VPN that is helpful for different use cases.
The redesigned Samsung Smart TV is a massive improvement over new Smart TV designs. It is outfitted with a vivid-brilliant display, eye-catching design, simplified menu, and stunning features.
It is a new-age television for entertainment hunters. An integrated web-browser lets you explore any information, movie, TV series, games, and popular videos at your fingertip.
However, all good things come with some limitations. Thus, users face a barrier of Geo-restrictions when accessing popular on-demand entertainment channels like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, 4oD, Fox GO, etc.
A Samsung Smart TV VPN is the key that can grant you access to blocked services and streams.
Top Smart TV VPN Services 2020
To identify which VPN is more suitable in what circumstances we decided to run different streaming and privacy-related tests and created a list of best Smart TV VPNs that work flawlessly and performed trouble-free on Sony Bravia, Samsung, and LG Smart TVs.
Have a safe unblocking and streaming experience with following top-ranked Smart TV VPNs:
- ExpressVPN – $8.32/mo
- NordVPN – $3.49/mo
- PureVPN – $2.91/mo
- Ivacy – $2.25/mo
- Surfshark – $1.99/mo
- CyberGhost – $2.75/mo
1. ExpressVPN – A Top-Notch VPN for Ultra HD Videos
ExpressVPN for Smart TV is a service that is decidedly more expensive as compared to other alternatives in the industry. However, it is surely an amazing choice when it comes to unblocking smart TV apps through smart TV VPN on your preferred devices. Because of it’s unblocking capabilities, it’s one of the best VPN or streaming.
The 2,000 servers operating under are distributed in over 94 countries. It is compatible with almost every device and operating system out there, including Samsung Smart TVs. Owing to its consistently fast speeds and an impressive server spread, ExpressVPN is an excellent Smart TV VPN for users that can afford it.
- 2,000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Offers excellent customer support
- Provides multi-login benefits
- The provider is based in the USA
2. NordVPN – A Reliable VPN for Security Purpose
NordVPN is a Panama based provider is known for its huge server network and strong security features. Its capability to bypass Geo-restrictions coupled with fast server speeds makes it a great choice for streaming purposes.
The subscription rates are also quite cheap considering it is one of the leading brands in the VPN industry. Therefore, there is hardly any room for doubt that NordVPN is a superb Samsung Smart TV VPN.
- Offers 4,700 servers in 62 countries
- Efficient customer support
- User-friendly for smart TVs and other devices
- Users may anticipate slow streaming speeds at times
3. PureVPN – A Highly Efficient VPN for Samsung TV Users
PureVPN is one of those smart TV VPN services currently providing its services in 141 countries worldwide. It offers fast speeds on all of its servers, making it an excellent choice for accessing blocked streams.
Hence, PureVPN is an efficient VPN for Samsung Smart TV.
- Provides 2,000+ servers in 141 countries
- Offers compatible apps for all platforms
- 256-bit military-grade encryption
- Offers paid trial feature to users
4. Surfshark – A Decent VPN with Unlimited Logins
As a service-based in British Virgin Island, Surfshark is smart enough to work with Samsung TV. The newbie VPN provider is offering 1040+ servers in 61+ countries globally and is the fastest VPN service in the market. Likewise, you can experience a comprehensive list of other impressive features on your Samsung Smart TVs and other devices.
- Efficient 24/7 customer support
- Provides unlimited multi-logins
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Does not have a free trial
5. Ivacy – A Budget Friendly VPN for Samsung TV
Ivacy is one of the fastest VPNs in the market, with an impressive network of 1,000+ servers in 100+ countries. Though it doesn’t have a dedicated app for Samsung Smart TV, you can still setup manually by sharing a connection with your PC.
It is particularly good for Geo-restricted streaming services. You can connect Ivacy with 5 different devices at the same time.
- Fast speeds
- Good for streaming
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Based in Singapore (a cooperative member of Five Eyes)
6. CyberGhost VPN – A Secure Option for Samsung Smart TV
CyberGhost is another VPN service offering an unbelievable 45-day money-back guarantee to users worldwide. At present, it offers its services in all the major countries of the world through 6,000+ servers. You can set up CyberGhost on your Samsung Smart TV if you connected to your router configured with this VPN (as described below).
- Follows no-logging policy in true letter and spirit
- Allows you to secure your 7 devices with a single subscription
- Offers a comprehensive list of online payment methods
- Average speeds may spoil the fun of users at times
‘Free’ VPNs for Samsung Smart TV, LG, And Sony
Beside premium Samsung VPNs, there are some free VPN services available in the market. However, such a VPN should never be compared with a paid VPN service, as many times; free VPN comes packed with third-party advertisers that bombard annoying ads in your browser.
Also, privacy concern remains high when using free services, due to the fact that a provider can sell your browsing history to law enforcement agencies. In addition, a number of servers, protocols and other features offered by free providers are fewer than paid ones.
Reddit Reviews About Smart TV VPN
Reddit is a go-to community for users when it comes to discussing different products and services with other users worldwide. Here is the response of one Reddit user suggesting the usage of smart DNS and DDWRT router to stream Netflix on Samsung Smart TV.
Check out an exclusive Reddit VPN guide that has been created according to Reddit users’ recommendations.
Wrapping Things Up
VPN has been catering accessibility and privacy needs of netizens’ for years. As Smart TVs become more common, the need for a Samsung Smart TV VPN is increasing to bypass restrictions on online channels. Simply set up a VPN on your TV with one of the methods described above.
I hope this article proved to be of some assistance to you. Share your feedback in the comments section below.