- NordVPN Review
- NordVPN Lifetime
- How fast is NordVPN?
- Does NordVPN work with Netflix?
- Does NordVPN allow Torrenting?
- How do I get NordVPN for free?
- How do I cancel a NordVPN payment?
- Does NordVPN work on Firestick?
- Can I use NordVPN on Roku?
- How do I use NordVPN on Kodi?
- Does NordVPN work on PS4?
- Can you use VPN on Disney plus?
Why is my NordVPN not working?
Your NordVPN app can stop working because some other software on your devices might be conflicting with it. You can get NordVPN connected again by disabling antivirus/firewall software or by reinstalling the NordVPN app on your device.
NordVPN is one of the most widely used VPN apps in the market. However, just like other VPN, its apps tend to run into problems every now then. Hence, you might find NordVPN not working for you.
Don’t worry though, fixing NordVPN’s connectivity issues is quite simple. You can always reach out to NordVPN’s customer support or try following the easy troubleshooting tips that I’ve covered in this guide.
If you have already tried these tips and still can’t get NordVPN to work properly, you can try ExpressVPN, which is a very great alternative to NordVPN with similar capabilities.
Quick Guide for NordVPN Not Working Issues
Your NordVPN app can stop working due to a lot of reasons. Once common problem is the 1001 error during installation. This error occurs when you download the NordVPN app on windows 7.
For this, try updating your Windows system first and then try installing the app again. Please be sure that you are using the 4.8 version of .NET Runtime.
Along with that, you can also try disabling your firewall or antivirus and reinstall the NordVPN app.
However, some issues are easy to fix while others are hard. Here are a few solutions to try when you find NordVPN not connecting:
1. Trying different server locations
NordVPN has a huge selection of servers available in over 59 countries of the world. In some cases, connection problems stem from a few bad servers that may actually be down from the provider’s end.
So, if NordVPN failed to connect to a certain server, try using a different location. If it works, then this means that your problem is only an isolated issue with a single or few servers and will probably be fixed by the company soon. Meanwhile, you can use another server that is closest to the one you prefer.
Generally, NordVPN delivers excellent speed on most of its servers, so you should obtain stable speeds even when connected to relatively remote servers.
Also, NordVPN is compatible with torrenting but if you choose a server location that isn’t safe for torrenting, NordVPN will automatically reroute you to either Netherlands or Canada servers automatically.
2. Checking for active subscription
Sometimes unsuccessful payments lead to the cancellation of user subscriptions without even you realizing it. Make sure that your subscription is still active and that your last payment was successful.
To do this, log in to your NordVPN account and see if your account status reads “Active”. If not, you will have to contact customer support and tell them about your problem to have it resolved.
Finally, if none of the other methods worked for you, try logging out of NordVPN and then logging into the app again. Some users have reported successful fixes with this trick.
If NordVPN will not connect to the internet still, then your last option is to perform a fresh installation of the NordVPN app on your device. Reach out to the official customer support if that also fails to work for you.
4. Resetting the app
NordVPN won’t connect on Windows 10 but was working fine until a couple of days ago? That’s more common than you think. Other than the VPN simply not connecting, there’s also one very weird bug that new NordVPN apps have. The bug is that you won’t be able to see the server list and choose one to connect to.
These problems can be solved by simply resetting the NordVPN app.
Here’s how you can reset your NordVPN Windows app:
- Open your NordVPN app > click Settings
- Scroll down to find Advanced Settings > Run Diagnostics Tool
- A new window will open with the “Reset app” tab. Click on it
Once you click reset, NordVPN will restore default settings. Try connecting to servers and the issue should be resolved.
NordVPN not connecting on Mac? Try the resetting process. Here’s how it works on Mac:
- Shut down NordVPN by right-clicking it in the Dock and clicking Quit
- Open Terminal and run the following commands:
- defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx-apple(if you got the app from App Store)
- defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx (if you got the app from NordVPN official website)
5. Disable/Re-enable TAP Adapter
From Windows 7 onward to Windows 10, some error messages and connectivity issues can be resolved with this NordVPN TAP Adapter disable/re-enable trick.
Here’s how it works on Windows 10:
- Shut down NordVPN.
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings.
- Right-click TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter > Disable.
- Once disabled, double click the Adapter to enable it again.
- Launch NordVPN and try connecting to a server
Image Credit: NordVPN
Still won’t connect to NordVPN, no luck? Try the next tip.
6. Change VPN Protocols
NordVPN’s Windows app supports NordLynx and OpenVPN TCP/UDP protocols. By default, NordVPN uses the NordLynx protocol, which is built around the WireGuard VPN protocol. If NordVPN can’t connect properly, try switching the protocol to OpenVPN TC or UDP.
Here’s how you can change the protocol:
- Fire up the Windows NordVPN application
- Click ‘Auto-Connect’ on the left side of the Settings menu.
- Disable “Choose a VPN protocol and server automatically”
- Finally, choose VPN OpenVPN TC or UDP.
7. Resetting Windows Network Settings
If nothing else has worked for you yet and you can’t connect to NordVPN, it’s time to go a little more drastic by flushing your DNS and resetting your IPv4 and IPv6 settings.
Follow the steps below to get this done:
- Type “cmd” in the search box to open up Command Prompt
- Now type in the following commands, pressing Enter after each
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh Winsock reset
- netsh interface ipv4 reset
- netsh interface ipv6 reset
- netsh Winsock reset catalog
- netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
- netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Restart your computer and try connecting to NordVPN again.
8. Change your Firewall Settings
If you don’t know, anti-virus programs and firewalls on your computer can prevent NordVPN from connecting properly. To fix this issue, you can temporarily try and disable your firewall or anti-virus program. After that, try using NordVPN to see if your issue is fixed.
If your issue gets resolved this way, try adding NordVPN to the exceptions list of your firewall or anti-virus program. This will allow NordVPN to work properly without any interference.
9. Change your DNS Server Configuration
Due to improper DNS server configuration, NordVPN will stop working. To get NordVPN working properly, you’ll need to configure your device manually to use NordVPN’s DNS servers. NordVPN’s recommended DNS server addresses are 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
Here’s how you can manually configure NordVPN’s DNS servers on your Windows computer:
1. Open up the Control Panel on your Windows computer.
2. Click on the Network and Internet option.
3. After that, click on Network and Sharing Center.
4. Now, click on the Change Adapter Settings option.
5. Select the network you’re connected to > right-click on it > click on Properties.
6. Next, click on the IPv4 option and access its Properties.
7. Click on “Use the following DNS server addresses” and type in 22.214.171.124 as primary and 126.96.36.199 as secondary.
10. Reset NordVPN’s IP Protocol
To reset NordVPN’s TCP/IP protocol the easy way, follow these simple steps:
1. Click on the search bar on your Windows computer and type in CMD.
2. Right-click on Command Prompt and click on the Run as administrator option.
3. After that, type netsh int IP reset resetlog.txt.
4. Lastly, restart your computer and run the NordVPN app.
Hopefully, resetting the TCP/IP protocol will fix any connectivity issues you might experience with NordVPN.
11. Crossing Multi-Login Limit
If you are running NordVPN on multiple devices and are facing login issues, you might have exceeded the allowed number of connections. Try logging out of NordVPN from any device where you don’t need it, and see if that enables you to use NordVPN on your desired device.
If you followed the above-mentioned troubleshooting steps properly, you should be able to get rid of all the connectivity issues with NordVPN. You will be able to stream Netflix with NordVPN and unblock anything you like.
But just in case you’re not satisfied with NordVPN’s overall performance, you can go for some other alternative like ExpressVPN, Surfshark, or PureVPN.
ExpressVPN — Offers super-fast servers than NordVPN
Similar to NordVPN, ExpressVPN is a very capable VPN service. To give you an idea, where NordVPN offers 5,500+ servers, ExpressVPN offers 3,000+ servers across 94 countries. Aside from servers, ExpressVPN offers a dedicated Stream mode (MediaStreamer), which NordVPN lacks. With MediaStreamer, you can easily unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Hulu, and more.
ExpressVPN starts from $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan this Black Friday), supports 5 multi logins and comes with a 30-day refund policy.
Surfshark — Offer more discount (83% off) than NordVPN
Surfshark offers 3,200+ servers all over the world. It can unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and other streaming services. It is blazing fast and help you download torrents without any limitations. It also comes with cool features like CleanWeb, no logs policy, Kill Switch, DNS leak protection, and much more.
Price-wise, Surfshark costs only $2.21/mo , supports unlimited simultaneous connections and comes with a 30-day money-back gurantee.
PureVPN — More user-friendly than NordVPN
PureVPN is another alternative for NordVPN in terms of features. For instance, NordVPN doesn’t allow you to select a specific server location in a country, whereas with PureVPN you can choose a specific server location from the country options. PureVPN also has a larger server network than NordVPN with over 6500 servers across 140+ locations.
PureVPN is cheaper than NordVPN, starting from $3.33/mo . It also offers a higher discount than NordVPN (i.e. 70%). PureVPN also allows 10 simultaneous connections and has a 31-day money-back guarantee.
FAQs — NordVPN Troubleshooting
Now, let’s talk about some of the frequently asked questions regarding NordVPN and its troubleshooting tips.
NordVPN has stopped working, what are the common reasons?
The most common reason why NordVPN’s app malfunction on theWindows platform is because of the TAP adapters. NordVPN is particularly susceptible to TAP adapter conflicts. So, if you have more than one VPN installed, NordVPN will fail to work.
Why does NordVPN keep disconnecting?
The reason why your NordVPN app keeps disconnecting could be because:
- The protocol you have selected is blocked in a certain country.
- The firewall installed on your computer is blocking NordVPN.
- Your internet connection might not be stable.
I’m unable to connect to the internet when NordVPN is active?
If you can’t access the Internet when NordVPN is active, try changing the server location and make sure to connect to one that is geographically closest to you. These usually provide the best stability and connectivity to the Internet.
NordVPN won’t connect with iPhone
Most issues with NordVPN’s iPhone app can be resolved by reinstalling the app:
- Delete the NordVPN app from your device.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Reinstall the app.
- Log into NordVPN with your credentials and try connecting to a server.
The re-installation process will reset NordVPN to default settings which can get the app working properly on your iPhone.
Why is NordVPN not working on Firestick?
The reason why NordVPN stops working on a Firestick device could be because some of its settings might have been accidentally altered. To reset it, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and reinstall the NordVPN app for Firestick from the Amazon app store. If you need help with this, check out our NordVPN Firestick blog.
NordVPN is one of the biggest brands in the VPN industry. It offers a free trial, but it isn’t free from bugs and errors. But with the above-mentioned fixes, you can easily resolve any NordVPN connectivity issues that you may experience.
That being said, if you’ve had enough of this VPN and want to try something else, you can cancel NordVPN and request a refund within the 30-days period.
So there you have it, let me know in the comments below if any of my tips worked for you or if there’s nothing you’d like to share about your experience with NordVPN. If you want to learn more about this VPN, check out our NordVPN review.