Samsung Smart TVs should make your life easier, right? Well, instead of running an open-source OS like Android it runs a closed source Tizen OS on Smart TVs. This prevents Samsung users from installing popular streaming apps on their Smart TV.
So, In this article, you are going to learn “how to Setup a VPN on Samsung Smart TV“ Tizen operating system using the manual process. Also, we have covered a list of best VPN for Samsung Smart TV that helps you to access geo-blocked streaming channels like Netflix, BBC Player, Vudu and more with absolute ease.
Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV using DD-WRT Router
In my opinion, the most simple method for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is through routers. Once you have a VPN configured, all the devices connected to the router will have a VPN connection.
Following is the VPN setup of Samsung TV for DD-WRT routers and Tizen operating system:
- First, download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any VPN provider.
- Head over to your router settings by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser.
- Next, click on the “Services” tab and click on the “VPN” sub-tab.
- Next, enable the “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
- Now, in the OpenVPN Configuration Panel, start by entering the custom VPN settings as listed below:
- Server IP or Name: Enter the .ovpn file or server provided by your VPN provider.
- Port Address: Enter the port address provided by your VPN provider.
- Tunnel Device: For tunneling device, click on the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: Select the UDP or TCP protocol.
- Encryption Cipher: Select the encryption cipher to AES.
- Hash Algorithm: Select the hash algorithm to SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Select the advance options to Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: Leave TLS cipher as not checked.
- LZO Compression: Select LZO compression to Adaptive.
- NAT: Select the NAT as Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Select firewall protection as Enable.
- IP Address: Leave IP address as blank.
- Subnet Mask: Leave subnet mask as blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: Select the tunnel MTU setting as 1500.
- UDP Fragment: Select the UDP fragment as 1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Select the tunnel UDP MSS-Fix as Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Make sure it is Check marked.
Note: The setup of a VPN router depends on the type of router you have and varies from one VPN provider to another. If this setup process didn’t work in your case, you can read our blog about VPN Router if you want to install a VPN on routers with DD-WRT firmware.
How to Setup Smart DNS on Samsung TV?
Smart DNS is a different technology that works in a way somewhat similar to proxies and VPNs. It can effectively give you the pass through restricted sites without much hassle.
However, it does not encrypt user traffic, which is why it is much less secure than VPN services. The lack of encryption has the effect of making Smart DNS services faster at the cost of reducing security.
So, if security is not your priority and fast streams are what you are aiming for, then Smart DNS can be the right choice for you.
Follow these steps to install Smart DNS on your Samsung TV:
- Go To ‘menu’ on the remote control of your Smart TV.
- Navigate to Network > Select ‘Network Status’.
- Choose IP settings.
- Open ‘DNS Setting’ and Select ‘Enter Manually’.
- Enter the ‘DNS address’ provided by your Smart DNS service.
- Press the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, restart your Smart TV once the connection test is completed.
Make sure that your Samsung Smart TV’s region matches the services you wish to stream. For example, If you want to stream US-based channels like HBO or Netflix, you will need to change your TV’s region to the USA.
Setup VPN for Smart TV Samsung through PC or Laptop
You can setup a VPN on Samsung Smart TV by sharing your internet connection from your PC or laptop. You just need to create a virtual hotspot. It sounds intimidating, but it isn’t.
- Go to > Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now, find the ‘tap adapter’ connected with your VPN provider.
- ‘Right click ‘on it and jump into ‘properties’.
- Then click the ‘Sharing Tab’.
- ‘Tick’ the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’
- Now click the ‘drop-down’ menu > choose the ‘Ethernet’ connection you just configured.
- Finally, restart your PC to complete the setup and use this connection on your Samsung Smart TV.
Keep on reading to discover the best Samsung Smart TV VPN that is helpful for different use cases.
The redesigned Samsung Smart TV is a massive improvement over new Smart TV designs. It is outfitted with a vivid-brilliant display, eye-catching design, simplified menu, and stunning features.
It is a new-age television for entertainment hunters. An integrated web-browser lets you explore any information, movie, TV series, games, and popular videos at your fingertip.
However, all good things come with some limitations. Thus, users face a barrier of Geo-restrictions when accessing popular on-demand entertainment channels like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, 4oD, Fox GO, etc.
A Samsung Smart TV VPN is the key that can grant you access to blocked services and streams.
Why Do I Need A Samsung Smart TV VPN?
Since Samsung uses Tizen OS for its Smart TVs instead of the much more versatile Android OS, people who want to access streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar and others are stuck with just propriety apps that work in certain regions.
Now what that means is, if you’re in a region that is unsupported by the streaming channel you want to access, you’re simply going to get blocked. Unfortunately, but that’s how it works, And that’s a huge problem if you ask me. Now, this doesn’t mean there aren’t options out there.
So what can you do? you can simply configure a VPN on your router, which is a much affordable option. If you go ahead and check out the list of best VPN for Samsung Smart you will find different valuable options for your Samsung TV.
Top Samsung Smart TV VPN Services 2020
To identify which VPN is more suitable in what circumstances we decided to run different streaming and privacy-related tests and created a list of best Smart TV VPNs that work flawlessly and performed trouble-free.
Check out these 6 top VPNs that are safe for unblocking and streaming experience:
- ExpressVPN – $6.67/mo
- NordVPN – $3.71/mo
- PureVPN – $2.91/mo
- Ivacy – $2.25/mo
- Surfshark – $2.49/mo
- CyberGhost – $2.75/mo
1. ExpressVPN – A Top-Notch VPN for Ultra HD Videos
ExpressVPN is a top-notch VPN for Smart TV but a bit expensive as compare to other VPNs of the market. However, it is surely an amazing choice when it comes to unblocking Samsung TV apps. This is the reason people consider to use this VPN for streaming purposes.
It has 3,000+ steadfast servers that are operational in over 94 countries. This massive server network can help you unblock any streaming channels you can imagine. ExpressVPN is compatible with almost every device and operating system, including Samsung Smart TV.
Also, the provider is based in the jurisdiction of British Virgin Island which is recognized as the safest territories in the world. ExpressVPN is an excellent Smart TV VPN for users that can afford it’s $6.67/mo price.
- 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Offers excellent customer support
- Provides multi-login benefits
- The provider is based in the USA
Read the ExpressVPN review and explore more about the provider.
2. NordVPN – A Reliable VPN for Security Purpose
NordVPN is a Panama based provider that is known for its strong security and privacy features. This Samsung smart TV VPN has more than 5800+ servers that make your connection reliable for internet activities in 59 countries.
Moreover, it uses a technology called obfuscation, which is designed to access geo-blocked streaming services like Netflix, Vudu, HBO, and more on your Samsung Smart TV. That is also exactly why we’ve labeled it as the “best geo-unblocker”.
Above of all, NordVPN isn’t going to burn a hole in your pocket, the subscription rates are quite affordable, considering the number of features it offers. You can get it for as low as $3.71/month.
- Offers 5,000+ servers in 59 countries
- Efficient customer support
- User-friendly for smart TVs and other devices
- Slow streaming speeds at times
Read the NordVPN review and explore more about the provider.
3. PureVPN – A Highly Efficient VPN for Samsung TV Users
PureVPN is one of the efficient VPN for Samsung Smart TV that is known for its over all performance in the market. The headquarter of this provider is located in Hongkong which doesn’t support the surveillance and data retention.
It offers 2000+ fast servers in 140+ countries with a “built-in streaming mode” to unblock geo-restricted libraries and deliver HD quality. Also, it has easy-to-use setup guides not just for Samsung Smart TV but for other internet devices.
Moreover, PureVPN has features that include internet kill switch, port forwarding, ddos protection which helps in defending your network.. Above all, if you face any trouble, you can always contact PureVPN’s 24/7 live chat support. You can get this VPN for just $2.91/mo.
- Provides 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- 256-bit military-grade encryption
- Offers a paid trial
Read the PureVPN review and explore more about the provider.
4. Surfshark – A Decent VPN with Unlimited Logins
Surfshark is smart and good enough to work with Samsung TV. It is operating from the British Virgin Island where VPNs are allowed to function without any restrictions. Also, it’s the only VPN which allows countless simultaneous connections on a single account.
The major advantage of having Surfshark is its speed and 1040+ servers in 61+ countries. Surfshark is perhaps the fastest VPN service you can get for your Samsung Smart TV. And, it is easy to configure on your router with the help of their knowledge based guides.
Likewise, you can experience a comprehensive list of other features on your Samsung Smart TV and other devices for just $2.49/mo.
- Efficient 24/7 customer support
- Provides unlimited multi-logins
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Does not have a free trial
Read the Surfshak review and explore more about the provider
5. Ivacy – A Budget Friendly VPN for Samsung TV
Moving further, we have listed Ivacy for Samsung Smart TV VPN due of its reliable speed and strong connectivity. Moreover, It has an impressive network of 1,000+ optimized servers that are available in 100+ countries and that makes it a valuable option for streamers.
The provider is good for Geo-restricted streaming services but similar to other VPNs it doesn’t have a dedicated app for Samsung Smart TV, however, you can setup it on router or PC and can share that VPN connection with your smart TV with through hotpost.
In addition, you can connect this VPN with 5 different devices at the same time. To get the subscription of ivacy you just need $2.25/mo.
- Good speed for streaming
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in Singapore (a member of Five Eyes)
Read the Ivacy review and explore more about the provider.
6. CyberGhost – A Secure Option for Samsung Smart TV
CyberGhost is another VPN that is known for its remarkable service and it is based in Romania. Its server network of 6,000+ and is available in countries like Germany, Australia, Canada, the UK, the US, and more.
Furthermore, the provider offers a dedicated mode for streaming which improves the quality of videos. You can use CyberGhost on your Samsung Smart TV if you connected to your router configured with this VPN.
Through CyberGhost you can have 7 simultaneous connections that are not common with other Samsung Smart TV VPNs. Also, it is quite reasonable at the value of just $2.75/mo with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- No-logging policy
- 7 devices with a single subscription
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Average speeds may spoil the fun
Read the CyberGhost review and explore more about the provider.
‘Free’ VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Beside premium Samsung Smart TV VPNs, there are some free VPN services available in the market. However, such a VPN should never be compared with a paid VPN service, as many times, free VPN comes packed with third-party trackers that bombard annoying ads on to your browser.
Also, privacy concern remains high when using free services due to the fact that a provider can sell your browsing history to advertisers. In addition, a number of servers, protocols, and other features offered by free providers are fewer than paid ones. All in all, you are going to compromise a lot.
For instance, TunnelBear only offers 500MB to 1GB data monthly. This will never be enough for anyone who streams a lot of videos on Samsung Smart TV. This is the reason I would suggest using paid ones. If you do decide to go for paid VPNs, I highly suggest going through our VPN deals.
Reddit Reviews About Smart TV VPN
Reddit is a go-to community for users when it comes to discussing different products and services with other users worldwide. Here is the response of one Reddit user suggesting the usage of smart DNS and DDWRT router to stream Netflix on Samsung Smart TV. Also, you can read the exclusive Reddit VPN guide that has been created according to Reddit users’ recommendations.
Wrapping Things Up
VPN has been catering accessibility and privacy needs of netizens’ for years. As Smart TVs become more common, the need for a Samsung Smart TV VPN is increasing more than ever. Simply setup a VPN on your Samsung TV with one of the methods described above and you should have access to a world of endless streaming.
The question comes in the mind, which VPN should go for? I look for the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV. While there are options like Surfshark, I would suggest trying out ExpressVPN and PureVPN. Both of these VPNs also performed exceptionally well.
I hope this article proved to be of some assistance to you. Share your feedback in the comments section below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?