So, you just purchased a brand new Samsung Smart TV and are ready to binge-watch your favorite shows and movies. But as soon as you launch the Netflix app and search for your favorite show, all you see is a black screen with a message saying:
There were no results for ‘what ever content you searched for’
Even worse, if you try and access Hulu and you’re not in the U.S, you’ll see an error message like this:
Hulu isn’t available to watch in your location
The reason why you’ll not be able to access your favorite streaming services on your Samsung Smart TV is that all major streaming platforms have implemented geo-restrictions.
And the worst part is, you can’t install any VPN app because Samsung Smart TVs run on closed source Tizen OS instead of open-source OS like Android. This prevents Samsung users from not only streaming their favorite content but also from installing popular apps.
Having said that, there are still a couple of ways through which you can use a VPN app with your Samsung Smart TV.
So, In this article, you will get to know which are the best Samsung TV VPNs that will help you access geo-blocked streaming channels like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more with absolute ease. Moreover, you are going to learn “how to set up a Samsung TV VPN“ using a variety of different easy to follow methods.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Factors to choose the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Top Samsung TV VPN Services for 2020
To help you pick the right VPN service, I tested a couple of VPNs with my Smart TV. After extensive testing, I’ve come up with this list of top six VPNs that are safe for unblocking and streaming:
- ExpressVPN – $6.67/mo
- NordVPN – $3.71/mo
- PureVPN – $1.32/mo
- Surfshark – $2.21/mo
- CyberGhost – $2.25/mo
- PIA VPN – $2.19/mo
1. ExpressVPN – 3000+ Servers
ExpressVPN is a top-notch VPN for Smart TV but a bit expensive as compared to other VPNs. However, it is surely an amazing choice when it comes to unblocking Samsung TV apps. This is the reason why so many people use ExpressVPN for streaming Netflix on their smart tv. Also, ExpressVPN makes it super convenient to set it up with your Smart TVs.
It offers 3,000+ steadfast servers that are operational in over 94 countries. This massive server network can help you unblock any streaming channels you can imagine. ExpressVPN offers great P2P support & is compatible with almost every device and operating system, including Samsung Smart TVs, Firestick & Kodi.
But one of the coolest things about ExpressVPN is its MediaStreamer smart DNS feature. With the MediaStreamer feature, you’ll be able to spoof your DNS and gain access to whatever streaming content you want. If you want to try all these features before buying it, you can opt for ExpressVPN free trial till you’re satisfied with the service.
Overall, ExpressVPN is an excellent Smart TV VPN for users that can afford it’s $6.67/mo price.
- 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Offers excellent 24/7 customer support
- Provides 5 multi-logins
Read the ExpressVPN review and explore its features in detail.
2. NordVPN – 5500+ Servers
NordVPN is known for its strong security and privacy features. It offers more than 5500+ servers making it extremely reliable for unblocking geo-blocked content.
Moreover, what’s cool about NordVPN is that it uses obfuscation technology, which is designed to help you access geo-blocked streaming services like Netflix, Vudu, HBO, and more on your Samsung Smart TV.
Similar to ExpressVPN, NordVPN also offers a streaming optimized feature called SmartPlay. This feature is built into NordVPN and doesn’t require any additional configuration, which is pretty cool.
Above all, NordVPN isn’t going to burn a hole in your pocket, the subscription rates are quite affordable, considering the number of features it offers. You can get it for as low as $3.71/mo.
- Offers 5500+ servers in 59 countries
- 24/7 customer support
- Easy compatibility with Smart TVs and other devices
- Slow streaming speeds at times
Read the NordVPN review and explore its features in detail.
3. PureVPN – 6500+ Servers
Next up, we have PureVPN. It is a highly reliable VPN service and known for its cool features. It offers 6500+ fast servers in 140+ countries with a “built-in streaming mode” to help you unblock geo-restricted content on your Samsung Smart TV.
Setting up PureVPN with a Smart TV is also super easy. You can find easy-to-use setup guides not just for Samsung Smart TV but also for other devices on PureVPN’s website.
Above all, PureVPN offers excellent 24/7 live chat support. If you face any trouble, you can always contact PureVPN’s chat support. PureVPN is super affordable too. You can get this VPN for just $1.32/mo.
- Provides 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- 256-bit military-grade encryption
- No ad-blocker
Read the PureVPN review and explore its features in detail.
4. Surfshark – 3200+ Servers
Surfshark is known for being super affordable. Samsung TV. It’s the only VPN that allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
The major advantage of having Surfshark is its speed. Surfshark offers 3200+ servers in 63 countries and is perhaps the fastest VPN service you can get for your Samsung Smart TV.
It is also super easy to configure on your router with the help of the easy guides available on Surfshark’s website.
You can experience all the cool features that Surfshark offers on your Samsung Smart TV and other devices for just $2.21/mo or free for 7 days if you opt for Surfshark’s free trial.
- Efficient 24/7 customer support
- Provides unlimited multi-logins
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Competitors offer more servers
Read the Surfshak review and explore its features in detail.
5. CyberGhost – 6600 Servers
CyberGhost is another VPN that is known for its remarkable service. It offers 6600 servers in 90 countries to help you unblock anything you wish to watch on your Smart TV.
Furthermore, just like PureVPN, CyberGhost offers a dedicated mode for streaming that can help you stream content in HD quality without compromising on speeds.
You can easily use CyberGhost with your Samsung Smart TV if you configure it on your router, which by the way is very easy to do.
Also, CyberGhost is very reasonably priced. It costs only $2.25/mo, offers 7 simultaneous connections, and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- No-logs policy
- 7 devices with a single subscription
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Complicated apps
Read the CyberGhost review and explore its features in detail.
6. Private Internet Access – 19318+ Servers
Moving further, we have Private Internet Access. The reason why I have chosen this VPN for my Samsung Smart TV VPN list is due to its reliable speeds and stable connectivity.
It offers a super impressive network of 19318+ optimized servers that’s capable of unblocking any geo-blocked content from anywhere in the world. It doesn’t have a dedicated app for Samsung Smart TVs, however, you can setup it on a router or PC and then share a connection with your smart TV.
As far as affordability is concerned, PIA VPN costs only $2.19/mo . For such a low price, you also get 10 multi logins and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 16688+ servers
- Fast speed for streaming
- 10 multi logins
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in the U.S
Read the PIA VPN review and explore its features in detail.
Setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV using DD-WRT Router
In my opinion, the most simple method for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is through routers. Once you have a VPN configured, all the devices connected to the router will have a VPN connection.
Following is the VPN setup of Samsung TV for DD-WRT routers and Tizen operating system:
- First, download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any VPN provider.
- Head over to your router settings by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser.
- Next, click on the “Services” tab and click on the “VPN” sub-tab.
- Next, enable the “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
- Now, in the OpenVPN Configuration Panel, start by entering the custom VPN settings as listed below:
- Server IP or Name: Enter the .ovpn file or server provided by your VPN provider.
- Port Address: Enter the port address provided by your VPN provider.
- Tunnel Device: For the tunneling device, click on the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: Select the UDP or TCP protocol.
- Encryption Cipher: Select the encryption cipher to AES.
- Hash Algorithm: Select the hash algorithm to SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Select the advance options to Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: Leave TLS cipher as not checked.
- LZO Compression: Select LZO compression to Adaptive.
- NAT: Select the NAT as Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Select firewall protection as Enable.
- IP Address: Leave IP address as blank.
- Subnet Mask: Leave subnet mask as blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: Select the tunnel MTU setting as 1500.
- UDP Fragment: Select the UDP fragment as 1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Select the tunnel UDP MSS-Fix as Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Make sure it is Check marked.
How to Setup Smart DNS on Samsung TV?
Smart DNS is a different technology that works in a way somewhat similar to proxies and VPNs. It can effectively give you the pass through restricted sites without much hassle.
However, it does not encrypt user traffic, which is why it is much less secure than VPN services. The lack of encryption has the effect of making Smart DNS services faster at the cost of reducing security.
So, if security is not your priority and fast streams are what you are aiming for, then Smart DNS can be the right choice for you.
Follow these steps to install Smart DNS on your Samsung TV:
- Go To ‘menu’ on the remote control of your Smart TV.
- Navigate to Network > Select ‘Network Status’.
- Choose IP settings.
- Open ‘DNS Setting’ and Select ‘Enter Manually’.
- Enter the ‘DNS address’ provided by your Smart DNS service.
- Press the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, restart your Smart TV once the connection test is completed.
Make sure that your Samsung Smart TV’s region matches the services you wish to stream. For example, If you want to stream US-based channels like HBO or Netflix, you will need to change your TV’s region to the USA.
Setup VPN for Smart TV Samsung (Android)
Setting up a VPN on a Samsung Smart TV running Android OS via any additional device is quite easy. You can simply download a VPN app for Smart TV directly from the Google Playstore.
Here’s how you can do it yourself:
1. Open up the Google Play Store on your Samsung Smart TV.
2. Search for any VPN service (PureVPN recommended).
3. Download and install the VPN app on your TV.
4. log in to the VPN using your account credentials.
5. Connect to your desired server and start streaming.
Setup VPN for Smart TV Samsung through PC or Laptop
You can set up a VPN on Samsung Smart TV by sharing your internet connection from your PC or laptop. You just need to create a virtual hotspot. It sounds intimidating, but it isn’t.
- Go to > Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now, find the ‘tap adapter’ connected with your VPN provider.
- ‘Right click ‘on it and jump into ‘properties’.
- Then click the ‘Sharing Tab’.
- ‘Tick’ the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’
- Now click the ‘drop-down’ menu > choose the ‘Ethernet’ connection you just configured.
- Finally, restart your PC to complete the setup and use this connection on your Samsung Smart TV.
Why Do I Need A Samsung Smart TV VPN?
Since Samsung uses Tizen OS for its Smart TVs instead of the much more versatile Android OS, people who want to access streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, and others are stuck with just propriety apps that work in certain regions.
Now what that means is, if you’re in a region that is unsupported by the streaming channel you want to access, you’re simply going to get blocked. Unfortunately, but that’s how it works, And that’s a huge problem if you ask me. Now, this doesn’t mean there aren’t options out there.
So what can you do? you can simply configure a VPN on your router, which is a much affordable option. If you go ahead and check out the list of best VPN for Samsung Smart you will find different valuable options for your Samsung TV.
‘Free’ VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Besides premium Samsung TV VPNs, there are some free VPN services available in the market. However, free Smart TV VPNs should never be compared with a paid VPN service, as many times, free VPN comes packed with third-party trackers that bombard annoying ads on to your browser.
Also, privacy concern remains high when using free services due to the fact that a provider can sell your browsing history to advertisers. In addition, the number of servers, protocols, and other features offered by free providers are fewer than paid ones. All in all, you are going to compromise a lot.
For instance, TunnelBear only offers 500MB to 1GB data monthly. This will never be enough for anyone who streams a lot of videos on Samsung Smart TV. This is the reason I would suggest using paid ones. If you do decide to go for paid VPNs, I highly suggest going through our VPN deals.
Now that you know how to set up a VPN with your Samsung TV, let’s talk about some of the most frequently asked questions regarding VPNs and Samsung Smart TVs.
Are Samsung Smart TVs Compatible with VPNs?
Technically no, Samsung Smart TVs are not compatible with VPNs. This is because Samsung TVs run on Tizen operating system that doesn’t have native support for VPNs. But there are ways through which you can still use any VPN app with your Samsung Smart TV. I’ve covered several methods in this guide for your reference.
What apps can a VPN help me unblock on my Smart TV?
With the help of a VPN, you’ll be able to unblock any geo-blocked app out there — considering that your Smart TV supports it. With my Samsung Smart TV and ExpressVPN, I was able to download Netflix, Hulu, and many more streaming apps.
Can I use a VPN on my Smart TV without configuring my router?
Yes, if you opt for the virtual router hotspot method I showed you earlier, you’ll be able to use any VPN app on your Smart TV without configuring it on your router.
How can I change the IP address of my Samsung TV?
To change the IP address of your Samsung Smart TV, you can simply connect to any VPN server location. After that, you’ll obtain a new IP address and your original IP address will get masked.
As Smart TVs become more common, the need for a Samsung TV VPN is increasing more than ever. Simply set up a VPN on your Samsung TV with one of the methods described above and you should have access to a world of endless streaming.
I hope this article proved to be of some assistance to you. While there are plenty of VPN options, I would suggest trying out Surfshark, ExpressVPN, and NordVPN. These VPNs are extremely easy to set up with Smart TVs.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?