- Private Internet Access Review
- Private Internet Access Torrent
- Private Internet Access Speed Test
- Private Internet Access Free Trial
- Private Internet Access Not Working
- Private Internet Access Cancel
- Private Internet Access China
- Private Internet Access Firestick
- Private Internet Access Firestick
- Private Internet Access Kodi
- Private Internet Access Router
- Private Internet Access Roku
Does Private Internet Access Work with Netflix? NEW Test Results 
Yes, Private Internet Access works with three regions of Netflix namely, US, Japan, and Germany. See test results below for more details about using PIA to unblock Netflix.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a VPN that doesn’t require introduction if you’re familiar with the industry. It is one of the few brands that most VPN users recognize. The provider has built a good reputation over the years due to its privacy-focused features, a large network of servers, and top-notch performance.
However, PIA has a troubled history with Netflix. It used to be quite effective for unblocking content from various Netflix regions worldwide, but this changed when Netflix got serious about banning VPN services that users were taking advantage of to bypass geo-restricted content.
Thus, PIA lost its ability to undo Netflix’s VPN detection technology for a long time. But the good news is, my latest test results show that PIA is once again working flawlessly for several Netflix regions.
Unblock Netflix with PIA: Quick Guide
Here’s how you can unblock Netflix with PIA in 4 simple steps:
- Subscribe to PIA.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Launch the VPN and connect to US, Japan, or Germany server locations (depending on your preferred Netflix library).
- Open Netflix and watch your favorite Netflix titles.
Testing PIA for Netflix
I had given up on using PIA for Netflix because it failed to work even a single time for me after trying many times in the past year. Lately, PIA has been going through service expansions and upgrades, so I naturally wondered if there have been any new developments regarding PIA’s compatibility with Netflix.
I contacted customer support (the company now offers live chat support, which is one of the new things PIA has added to their service and a welcome upgrade) and inquired if I could use PIA to unblock any Netflix regions. Here’s what they had to say:
I was frankly surprised to hear them mention that PIA actually supports these Netflix regions (US, Japan, and DE). The customer support rep took their time to reply, and I was expecting that the poor fellow would be carefully choosing their words to express regret that PIA is no good for Netflix, but I digress…
After getting this confirmation from PIA’s customer support (and using their live chat feature for the first time, which I enjoyed), I downloaded the latest PIA app on my PC to test the customer support rep’s claims.
Here are the results of my PIA testing for three regions:
First, I tested US Netflix with PIA. While connected to a New York server, I visited Netflix and searched for the US exclusive title “Rememory.” It started streaming instantly, proving that PIA is efficiently unblocking US Netflix now:
Next, I connected to a Japanese PIA server and tried to stream a Japan-exclusive title, “Red.” Impressively, this also worked flawlessly, showing that PIA is effortlessly unblocking Netflix JP now:
For Germany, I’m not aware of any exclusive titles available in the DE library of Netflix. Nonetheless, I tried streaming the show “Dark” while connected to PIA’s Berlin DE server, and it worked. I’m fairly confident that PIA unblocks Netflix DE titles now:
PIA Speed Test for Netflix
Access Netflix with a VPN often results in slower speeds, lower quality, and longer buffer times. The great thing about this VPN is that PIA is speedy and can support high-quality streams on Netflix.
Testing PIA with a 100 Mbps connection, we obtained an outstanding 91.09 Mbps of download speed when connected to a US server:
This makes the VPN excellent for streaming. Indeed, with fast speeds, users can use PIA for torrenting as well.
Why should you consider PIA for Netflix?
Private Internet Access might not be that renowned for unblocking Netflix; however, it is surprisingly quite good as per my testing. Here’s why you should consider buying PIA for Netflix:
- Superfast servers – PIA comes with 29,000+ VPN servers in 77 countries.
- Powerful encryption – PIA offers end-to-end encryption that won’t let you get caught by Netflix.
- No DNS or IP leak – It comes with DNS leak protection to help you stay under Netflix’s radar.
- Compatibility – Watch Netflix on any device with PIA cross-platform apps.
- Unlimited bandwidth – Stream Netflix without restrictions with PIA limitless bandwidth.
- Multi login – With a single account, you can watch Netflix on 10 different devices. It is easy to install PIA on Firestick and use it with platforms and devices like Kodi and Roku.
- 30-day money-back guarantee – You can claim your refund by canceling PIA within 30 days if it doesn’t work as expected. Unfortunately, there’s no prior PIA free trial to test the service out first if you’re a new user.
PIA not working with Netflix? – Try These Fixes
Even though PIA worked with Netflix on most servers, I have still covered some troubleshooting steps below to help you out if you run into any connectivity issues.
Check IP address
If you are coming across the proxy error, then you should try and change your IP address. I say this because Netflix is smart enough to detect IP addresses. If Netflix detects that you are using an IP address from an unsupported region or a blacklisted IP, you will get prompted to the proxy error immediately.
To make sure you don’t end up dealing with this issue:
- First, check your IP address without connecting to PIA.
- Then once again, check your IP after connecting to one of PIA’s servers.
- You want to make sure that your original IP address is not leaking.
In case your original IP is leaking to your ISP, then change your IP address. You can do this by selecting another city next to the location you previously chose, and you should be good to go. If this doesn’t fix your issue, you can contact support to get your problem fixed.
Flush your DNS
Aside from your IP, your DNS server can also prevent you from streaming Netflix. If Netflix can still detect your default DNS address even though you’re connected to PIA, then you might be facing a DNS leak.
To fix this issue, you will need to flush your DNS. Here’s how you do this:
- Press Windows + R keys together
- Select Run and type Click Command Prompt icon
- Type ipconfig/flushdns in the command prompt and hit Enter.
- Now you should see the following message: ‘Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
Sometimes your VPN protocol might get blocked. This might also prevent you from accessing Netflix. To fix this issue, you can change your VPN protocol. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Launch the PIA VPN app
- Hit the hamburger icon and click/tap on Settings
- Now click/tap on Protocol under the Connection tab and select any protocol you like
This should help you resolve the issue. I suggest choosing OpenVPN since it is the most secure. You can see more troubleshooting steps for PIA here.
What about Unblocking in Other Regions?
As I said earlier, Private Internet Access does not work with Netflix in all countries. In fact, no VPN is good for all regions of Netflix. The same can be said about free VPNs. You can use a free online VPN for Netflix, but there is no surety that it will unblock Netflix libraries. However, the following providers can unblock various Netflix libraries, so they might be worth a try if you’re unhappy with PIA and want to access Netflix regions that do not work with PIA.
Having problems unblocking Netflix with PIA?
Get PureVPN Exclusive Deal with 73% OFF.
If you don’t want to deal with PIA Netflix incompatibility, here are some best VPN for Netflix that can help you watch any blocked title.
PIA Netflix Alternatives
- Does PureVPN work with Netflix
- Does Surfshark work with Netflix
- Does NordVPN work with Netflix
- Does ExpressVPN work with Netflix
- Does IPVanish work with Netflix
PIA has greatly improved as a service over the years and has now even regained the ability to unblock content from certain Netflix regions namely, the US, Japan, and Germany.
Having said that, there’s never any certainty if any VPN will work just as well for all users around the globe for Netflix. Though PIA worked very well for me during my latest tests of the service, I cannot guarantee that it will work in your case.
But the great thing is PIA now offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as well. So if it fails to work for any reason, you can get a refund and try other alternatives.
Please find out more about PIA VPN in our review.
Have you tried using PIA for Netflix? What was your experience like? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts with us!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?