- Private Internet Access Review
- Private Internet Access Netflix
- Private Internet Access Speed Test
- Private Internet Access Free Trial
- Private Internet Access Not Working
- Private Internet Access Cancel
- Private Internet Access China
- Private Internet Access Firestick
- Private Internet Access Firestick
- Private Internet Access Kodi
- Private Internet Access Router
- Private Internet Access Roku
Is PIA Still Good for Torrenting in 2021?
Yes, PIA is a good choice for torrenting. The provider supports popular bitttorrent clients such as uTorrent and offers p2p-friendly features such as a no logs policy, kill switch, and SOCKS5 proxy.
PIA VPN is a good choice for torrenting. Following are the reasons which make PIA the best VPN for your torrenting purpose.
- Your torrents and internet traffic will have military-grade AES-256-bit encryption
- Your torrent IP address will be different than your actual IP address
- You can also use any third-party proxy service with PIA to increase your torrent speed
- Proxy service may help you to prevent IP leaks as well
PIA is a well-known VPN brand with customers all over the world. The service is efficient for almost all common use cases relating to VPNs. PIA is one of the most affordable, torrent-friendly, and security-conscious VPNs in the world.
Based on its privacy and security features, I believe that PIA is a good choice for torrenting purposes. Let’s take a look at all the factors that make Private Internet Access a good VPN for safe torrenting and learn how to use it in this article.
You will need a PIA subscription to set up this VPN for torrenting purposes.
How to Use PIA VPN for Torrenting
The easiest way to use PIA for torrenting is to simply connect to a VPN server and then perform your torrenting through a BitTorrent client.
Nonetheless, there are two main methods with which you can deploy Private Internet Access to download torrents:
Setting up PIA VPN Client for Torrenting
1. Subscribe to PIA and download it on your device.
2. Turn on your PIA VPN client and click on the vertical dots on the top > Settings
3. Click on Connection in the new Window and make sure you have selected AES-128 and UDP in the respective fields as shown.
4. Now click on Privacy in the left-hand menu and toggle Killswitch to Always.
5. Now connect to a PIA’s Netherlands or Switzerland server.
6. Once successfully connected, you can begin downloading your desired torrents through uTorrent.
Setup PIA SOCKS5 Proxy with uTorrent
PIA also offers a SOCKS5 proxy which has some advantages and some disadvantages. For instance, it can improve your speed at the cost of encryption. So, if speed is your priority, then you might be better off using the SOCKS5 proxy.
Here’s how you can setup SOCKS5:
1. Go to Settings in PIA > Connection.
2. Now click on the proxy drop-down menu and select SOCKS5.
3. Connect to Netherlands or Switzerland and start downloading torrents with good speeds.
There’s a manual method for setting SOCKS5 proxy as well which may work better than the one mentioned above, but it requires a little more work.
PIA uTorrent Setup with SOCKS5 [Manual]
1. Log in to PIA’s website account panel.
2. Click on the Regenerate Username and Password button to get the login details for SOCKS5.
3. Copy these account details and launch uTorrent.
4. Click on Options > Preferences > Connection.
5. Under Proxy Server, click on SOCKS5 and enter the following details:
[Your username and password as provided by PIA]
6. Now check all the options against the boxes as shown in the image for step#4.
That’s it! With these PIA settings for PIA, you can download torrents at good speeds while having better privacy than you would without the use of any VPN/proxy.
Why PIA Is Good for Torrents
PIA offers several features, both in terms of privacy as well as general performance, which makes it a reliable choice for users who need better protection while downloading torrents.
You can download desired media files through torrents safely after connecting to one of PIA’s servers. The provider works well with all popular BitTorrent clients including uTorrent, etc.
When you use Private Internet Access for torrenting purposes, you can attain a list of different features. These various benefits include:
For any VPN to be considered for torrenting, it is obvious that it should support p2p filesharing in the first place. Many VPN providers have reservations about torrenting and restrict p2p traffic on their servers. This was also the case in Private Internet Access and TunnelBear, where TunnelBear limited P2P only on 7 server locations. PIA has no such policy and fully supports torrenting traffic on their servers.
If you’re facing connectivity issues with this VPN, see this guide on PIA not connecting.
PIA has an impressive network infrastructure that is expanding rapidly with new server locations added. As one of the most notable brands in the VPN industry, it is natural to expect the VPN to perform exceptionally.
We were delighted to see PIA deliver spectacular speeds during our testing. P2p filesharing can become a nuisance if the Internet connection isn’t fast enough. During the speed test, we used a base Internet connection of 100 Mbps and when connected to PIA’s US server, we received a whopping 91.00 Mbps!
With speeds as good as this and the fact that PIA unblocks Netflix, users can utilize it for streaming purposes just as well as for torrenting.
When you are downloading your preferred torrent and suddenly your VPN connection drops, a kill switch can protect your identity from leaking to the world wide web. This is an excellent protective mechanism to keep you safe from accidental exposure in the event of an unforeseen connection drop.
PIA has a built-in kill switch in its desktop apps which can keep you protected from accidentals privacy leaks caused by sudden connectivity drops.
No logs policy:
PIA has a no-logging policy that ensures the protection of your personal data. Here’s what PIA collects from its users:
As you can see, none of this involves sensitive information about your identity or activity such as IP addresses or traffic logs. Since PIA keeps no records of your online activities, no one online can learn what you are doing on the web as long as you are using PIA to download torrents.
This is one of the most critical points that can either make or break a VPN as far as their suitability for torrenting is concerned.
Torrenting with PIA can be made faster using SOCKS5 proxy. SOCKS5 is a protocol that is quite popular among torrent users since it offers faster speeds than VPNs as a consequence of the fact that it lacks encryption, which has a retardation effect on speeds.
Though it is not as secure as torrenting with a VPN, if you are experiencing speed issues with PIA’s VPN protocols, you should try using its SOCKS5 proxy. This might give you better results.
PIA is one of the more affordable VPNs out there. For the 2-year plan, it costs $2.69/month. Although there is no PIA free trial, if you’re unhappy with the purchase you can cancel PIA within 30 days after signing up.
If you are looking for a free VPN provider that offers almost if not the same security and anonymity as PIA does for torrenting, then we recommend you to take a look at the best free torrenting VPNs in 2021.
What PIA’s Forums Say About Using the VPN for Torrents
The official PIA forum contains several threads regarding torrenting use with PIA.
Here is the snapshot of a user comment in the forum who was using Private Internet Access to accomplish torrenting needs:
Another user emphasized that users should always perform IP leak tests before conducting torrenting process.
If you’re facing issues with PIA, you can try fixing it with the troubleshooting tips in our dedicated guide.
PIA is a powerful VPN for torrenting. It has a lot of servers and supports torrenting on popular BitTorrent clients. With decent speeds, a good logging policy, a large server network, and extremely strong 256-bit encryption, you can’t go wrong using PIA for torrents. PIA subscribers can choose to use VPN and Proxy service at the same time for downloading torrents anonymously.
For more information about this VPN, see our Private Internet Access review.
Have you tried torrenting with PIA? What was your experience like? Leave your thoughts with us in the comment below!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?