Best VPN Reviews of 2018
Get the most unbiased and impartial reviews of the many VPN service providers in the industry. Our reviews and evaluation about best VPN reviews of 2018 are based on offerings & service claims of a VPN provider. To deliver the most accurate findings to our readers, we rigorously test the best VPN providers while evaluating their speed, server performance, features, level of encryption, reliability and plans.
With 171+ servers in USA, 62+ in the UK, 40+ in Australia and 20 in Canada, PureVPN is used as a tool to unblock all the geo-restricted websites and channels. It provides IP addresses from 500+ cities in 140+ countries & tunnels your traffic through OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and SSTP. PureVPN can be set up on all the leading smartphones, tabs, operating software and devices.Read Full Review
Nord VPN has currently 4500+ VPN servers that are responsible for providing you the access to blocked and geo-restricted content. Nord VPN is compatible with Windows, Android, Linux, Mac and iOS. Nord VPN tunnels your traffic through PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols and provides double VPN encryption support. Nord VPN does not keep the record of your online activities.Read Full Review
With an encryption support of up to 2048-bit, SaferVPN is one of the safest VPN services to use. The users get a different insight to the world of internet with 100+ servers support. Compatibility as solid as a rock, the users can enjoy using it on their devices without being afraid of device compatibility. SaferVPN is worth a try because you get a 15-day money back guarantee.Read Full Review
Ivacy VPN stands in the list of the VPN providers that are known for fast online streaming and unblocking feature. It comes with a protocol support of L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and OpenVPN; Ivacy also helps to shield you from the hackers. Ivacy offers 250+ servers all over the world including in the UK and US; if you are looking for privacy, connecting to the USA is your best bet.Read Full Review
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN providers to unblock all the restricted and blocked websites from your home country. ExpressVPN is also considered as the best security tool to equip your devices with. ExpressVPN tunnels your data through L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, OpenVPN and SSTP protocols and gives you 97+ VPN servers all over the world. ExpressVPN provides 24/7 Live Chat Support.Read Full Review
Hola VPN is a popular VPN service but not for the right reasons. On one hand, it does allow users to hide their identity. On the other, there are some measure security issues with the service. Hola VPN uses a P2P network to hide your online identity. It lets you share your IP address with other users. There are no protocols and encryption in the service.Read Full Review
ProtonVPN offers a generous free service, which comes with unlimited bandwidth and speed. Moreover, it gives you three servers with a workable speed. As for paying customers, ProtonVPN provides servers from all across the globe and multi-hoping feature for foolproof security. You can connect up to 10 devices on this service if you buy its visionary package.Read Full Review
VyprVPN is one of the top VPN providers of the world. It offers more than 700 servers from around 50 countries. Moreover, it has an in-built Kill switch and a NAT firewall to protect your connection from online threats. In addition, VyprVPN provides VyperDNS and Chameleon technology to help you bypass geo-restrictions.Read Full Review
VPNSecure comes with 69 servers from 48 countries. It provides OpenVPN, PPTP and IPsec protocols with military grade encryption. Most impressively, it has custom clients for Windows, iOS, Mac, Android and Linux platform. You can also utilize its Chrome extension to browse with added security. VPNSecure has numerous packages you can avail at different prices.Read Full Review
Hotspot Shield is available free and $8.13 a month both. The paid version of this service offers 2000+ servers from 25+ countries. In addition, it is compatible with Netflix and other popular streaming sites. In addition, you can securely download torrents with this VPN service. However, the best thing about Hotspot Shield is its free version that provides 500MB bandwidth on daily basis.Read Full Review
Turbo VPN is a service exclusively available for smartphone users. It has apps for both iOS and Android that are both user-friendly and easy to navigate. Moreover, it provides 8 servers and has an SSL encryption to anonymize your digital identity. The app is free but you can pay the providers for Netflix optimized servers and 5 simultaneous connections.Read Full Review
TunnelBear is Canadian based VPN service that offers its services in all the leading 20+ countries. It offers an appealing list of features that allow you to protect your online activities from ISPs and online hackers quite easily. Likewise, you can avail its free version to continue securing your web surfing and other tasks while on the go instantly.Read Full Review
Windscribe VPN is a Canadian VPN service currently offering both paid and free version to subscribers. The provider offers its services through 50 server locations in all the major countries of the world. You can experience a comprehensive list of features like multi-login and money back guarantee on your desired devices like Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.Read Full Review
Private Internet Access is USA based VPN service currently offering 3200+ servers in all the major countries of the world. It offers a comprehensive list of features to its users that include compatibility, money back guarantee and others. Similarly, you can avail its impressive VPN tunneling protocols and encryption features that include PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN and 256-bit encryption level.Read Full Review
CyberGhost VPN is a Romanian based online privacy that follows no logging policy appropriately. Through its 2200+ servers, you are able to protect your digital privacy straightaway. Likewise, you can use its impressive multi-login and compatibility benefit that allow you to avail the service on 7 different devices simultaneously.Read Full Review
What is a VPN?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network is like an extension of an internet and allows you to create a secure private network over public networks. The purpose of a VPN is to secure your connection and shield it from different threats lurking over the internet. A VPN allows you to hide your true location, encrypt all your Internet traffic and route it through secure tunnels while making you anonymous in the process and protecting all your confidential data.
Which VPN Protocol Should I Use?
A VPN offers multiple protocols to secure your data from various online threats. However, each of these protocols differs from one another and offer different levels of security. Our VPN reviews provide in-depth information about the protocols offered by each of these VPN providers. That said, here are the strengths and weaknesses of protocols:
- PPTP:It is considered the least secure VPN protocol and can be breached easily by surveillance agencies and hackers. However, PPTP is best for streaming as it does not compromise your internet speeds and allows fast performance.
- L2TP/IPSec:It is more secure than PPTP and offers reliable security to all VPN users. L2TP/IPSec works well on all iOS devices and platforms that don’t support OpenVPN. On the downside, L2TP/IPSec can hamper your performance and can be a bit tricky to setup.
- OpenVPN:This is the best VPN protocol you can use today. It is considered the most secure protocol and also delivers great performance. Due to its open source nature, OpenVPN does not have backdoors for governmental agencies such as NSA.
- SSTP:Only available on Windows platform. That said, SSTP does offer reliable security and privacy. However, due to its limited compatibility, not many VPN providers offer SSTP protocol.
- IKEv2:It is also a strong protocol that can protect your privacy and security against greatest of threats if implemented through open source. IKEv2 is really useful for mobile users, incase OpenVPN is not supported.
Who Needs VPN?
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an economical & top-grade solution for robust online protection and superior data privacy. Considering the privacy & unblocking needs of a modern day user, VPN has proven to be an affordable option. In addition to this, following user types find VPN to be the most suitable solution for desired proposes:
When we talk about entertainment channels, not all countries are served the same. Various hit channels like HBO Now, Fox GO, Channel 7, Nine Network, Netflix, 4oD, Cinema Now, ESPN and more channels are geo-restricted in many parts of the world.
To get around with the geo-restrictions, fanatics find VPN as a one-stop solution to instantly access thousands of blocked channels from anywhere in the world.
Tourists and travelers use public WiFi networks (Coffee Shop, Hotel, and other public places) as a prime solution to get connected with friends and family members located in different regions of the world.
However, various state-sponsored agencies, hackers, identity thieves, data phishers, and other cyber goons are searching ways to intrude into users’ data privacy. A VPN, in this case, provides first-grade data encryption, while ensuring robust data privacy and online security to users.
VoIP & Instant Messenger Subscribers
Gone are the days when users relied on over-priced carrier packages for calling their loved ones. The VoIP and instant messaging services (IMO, Skype, Viber, Line, Messenger, WhatsApp) with their free plans have now become users’ top choice for communication.
However, ISP monitoring and unauthorized surveillance have left users with no other option except to compromise on their privacy and let ISP poke nose in their private calls and messages. To get around with unauthorized surveillance, a VPN encrypts your entire traffic and makes you anonymous to almost every person on earth who wants to eavesdrop on your privacy.
Online Transactions & Crypto Currency Users
Securing one’s financial information holds prime importance for the majority of users. Various hackers, identity thieves, and cyber criminals are seeking ways to get access to users’ credit card information, bank balance and more sensitive information. To secure your online transactions, a VPN offers military grade protection to your network connection, while keeping the cyber criminals at bay.
In addition to this, various users have reported facing issues while accessing online banking from abroad. A VPN in this situation allows you to spoof location to the desired country, so you can access your account and perform secure transactions from any corner of the world.
Cloud Storage Subscribers
Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud and other cloud storage services have taken the place of traditional hard drives and USBs. With the revolution of technology, users have adapted the new technology to store personal pictures, videos & documents, without considering the associated threats.
To stay safe and protect your passwords from hackers, users choose VPN for a top-notch password encryption and reliable online protection.
Why Do You Need a VPN?
The internet is a dark place and full of dangers. There are numerous threats that can compromise your privacy and security one way or another. That’s why you need a VPN. It is a tool that can defend against these threats and also provide additional benefits. Here are 4 main reasons to use a VPN:
- Protection Against State Surveillances:There are different governmental agencies such as NSA & GCHQ that spy on netizen’s internet activities, communications, and record their metadata. A VPN makes you anonymous and protects your data from being recorded. It stops your privacy from being breached by keeping such spy agencies at bay.
- Stay Safe from Cybercriminals:When you connect to a public Wi-Fi network at an airport or a coffee shop, you are exposing yourself to hackers, spammers, phishes, snoopers, and other cybercriminals. This is where a VPN safeguards your data by encrypting it and tunneling it through secure protocols.
- Unblock Websites & Bypass Censorship:You will find that there are numerous websites such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Hotstar, ITV, and Pandora that only work within certain countries. Anyone trying to access these websites will be blocked off and see a geo-restriction message. Similarly, some web services such as Google is censored in China. Using a VPN, you can easily unblock and access any website from any corner on earth.
- Save Money on Tickets & Deals:If you are planning on traveling anytime soon or are about to purchase a pay-per-view event, remember that the prices vary from region to region. You can avail cheap airfares, hotel reservations, pay-per-view events, and other deals at discounted prices by changing your location through a VPN service.
How Do We Conduct VPN Reviews?
At VPNRanks, we conduct in-depth VPN reviews and evaluate each provider based on different criteria so that you get the best and most valuable VPN services. Here are our VPN review criteria:
- Performance:We measure a VPNs performance through speed tests, IP leak test, and DNS leak test. Speed tests allow us to gauge the internet speeds offered by a VPN on different servers and protocols, while IP and DNS leak test show how secure the VPN really is.
- Prices:Different VPN providers offer different pricing plans. We evaluate whether the VPN’s price matches the quality of service and performance.
- Servers:A top-notch VPN service will offer multiple servers spread across the world. While conducting VPN reviews, we test different servers from different regions.
- Customer Support:Hallmark of a great VPN service is how it facilitates its customers. We test different customer support access points such as email ticketing system, live chat, and also evaluate the knowledge base offered by the VPN provider.
- Protocols & Encryption:Using different protocols and encryption levels is how a VPN secures your privacy and provides you online security. Our VPN reviews cover detailed analysis of the protocols and encryptions provided.
- Compatibility & Tutorials:In today’s world, it is important that a VPN is compatible on multiple platforms. We evaluate the compatibility of each provider in our VPN reviews and also check whether they offer setup tutorials to guide their subscribers.