Chromecast is a remarkable device that digitally projects audio or video content from your PC, phone, or tablet to the big screen. However, the streaming services available with it, like Netflix, are Geo-restricted in many parts of the world unless you use a Chromecast VPN.
For example, you can’t stream shows on Hulu if you’re outside the U.S, and you can’t access BBC iPlayer from outside the UK. Unless you use a reliable VPN because Chromecast and VPN go together…
Keeping that in mind, in this blog post, we will discuss the best VPN for Chromecast that you can use to unblock a world of entertainment. But first, a brief overview…
- PureVPN – Low cost and affordable VPN. Offers topnotch features and excellent support of Chromecast.
- NordVPN – Over 5600 servers that are capable of unblocking even the most heavily Geo-blocked content.
- Surfshark – The fastest VPN on the market. Pricing starting from as low as $1.99/mo .
- ExpressVPN – One of the Top VPNs on the market. Perfect for streaming Ultra HD movies and TV shows.
- CyberGhost – A well-specced VPN with thousands of servers and powerful features.
5 Best VPNs for Chromecast in 2020
The VPN market is undergoing staggering growth, and the reason behind this boom is the increasing restrictions on the availability of online content and government censorship.
As a result, there is a great demand for software like VPN that can get around censorship and Geo-restrictions. However, it’s become common that Chromecast doesn’t work with VPN. But with a good cast VPN that can be configured on a router, you can use Chromecast with VPN without any troubles.
So here are the 5 best VPNs you can use with Chromecast in 2020
1. PureVPN – Editor’s choice for Chromecast
PureVPN is a Hong Kong-based VPN provider that offers excellent features at affordable rates.
There are more than 2,000 servers in over 140 countries that PureVPN is currently offering. The geographical spread of its servers is one of the best in the VPN market. It offers strong encryption protocols and a powerful kill switch to make sure you’re always protected online.
As such, PureVPN is an awesome VPN for Chromecast that offers robust security with remarkable geo-block bypassing capabilities due to its huge server base. It also offers a no questions asked 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PureVPN review.
- Supports Advanced Encryption Protocols including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and IKEv2
- Delivers Unlimited Bandwidth
- Split Tunneling Feature
- Does not Offer a Free Trial Feature
2. NordVPN – Top VPN for Chromecast
NordVPN is one of the most well-known VPN providers for chromecast in the market. It boasts the largest network of servers available to any VPN provider, consisting of more than 5600 servers in 62+ countries.
Similar to PureVPN, NordVPN uses powerful encryption protocols that not only help you secure your privacy but also help you unblock popular streaming services like Netflix.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Offers Dedicated Servers for P2P Networking
- Allows up 6 Devices to Connect to the Same VPN
- Users can avail a Free Trial for 7 Days
- The Double VPN Encryption can affect Connection Speed
3. Surfshark – Fastest Chromecast VPN
Next up on this list, we have Surfshark. If you’re on a budget, Surfshark is probably your best bet.
Despite only costing $1.99/mo , Surfshark has the ability to unblock pretty much all geo-restricted websites from around the world.
Not only that, with over 1000 servers all over the world, Surfshark manages to offer decently fast streaming speeds. you can literally stream your favorite movies in Ultra HD picture quality.
Read our full Surfshark review.
- No Logging Policy
- Unlimited Multi-Logins
- 30-Day Refund Policy
- Super affordable
- Small server park
4. ExpressVPN – Best for Streaming via Chromecast
ExpressVPN is one of the most widely used VPN services in the world. Operating from the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN offers 3000+ servers in around 94 locations, all of which are heavily encrypted and deliver fast speeds.
Speaking of speeds, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs you’ll ever come across. But all this performance does come at a price. Even at its cheapest, ExpressVPN for Chromecast will end up costing you $8.32/mo.
That said, the expensive price is worth every penny and makes casting with vpn a lot more easier.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Provides more than 3000Servers in around 94 Locations
- Uses Military-Grade Encryption Technology
- Offers Excellent Customer Support 24/7
- DNS Leak Protection
- Slightly more Expensive Subscription than Other Alternatives
5. CyberGhost – All-round VPN for Chromecast
CyberGhost is a Romanian VPN service which offers 5700+ optimized servers all over the world. It’s pretty affordable and works pretty much flawlessly on Chromecast.
Moreover, it’s 7 day free trial is also quite helpful for users to try it out and make a decision based on their experience.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- 5700+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Up to 7 Simultaneous Multi-Logins Allowed
- Romanian Jurisdiction
- Supports P2P Filesharing
- Average speeds
How to Set up a VPN on Chromecast?
You cannot install a VPN directly on Chromecast cause it won’t work with a VPN. But you can use two alternative options to pair a Chromecast with VPN. You can either install a VPN directly onto your physical router or use a VPN enabled virtual router.
How to use VPN with Chromecast? Let’s check out both methods in detail, shall we?
How to Set up a VPN for Chromecast using a physical router?
Installing a VPN on your router requires a router firmware that allows customization. For this purpose, you will need a router with DD-WRT installed.
If you don’t know, DD-WRT routers support VPN services. You can install a VPN software directly on to your router, and secure your entire internet connection.
Any device that connects to the Internet through this router, will automatically be under the protection of the VPN, including your Chromecast.
Once you have set up a VPN on your router devices, you can simply connect your Chromecast to the Wi-Fi, cast via VPN and bypass geo-restrictions.
Find out how to install a VPN on DD-WRT router.
How to Set up a VPN for Chromecast using a virtual router?
This method is much easier, but it requires a PC or Mac rather than an actual router. Basically, you will be turning your PC or mac into a Wi-Fi hotspot and connecting your Chromecast to the Internet through this hotspot.
Share VPN Connection Using a PC
To do this, you will first have to install a VPN on your PC. You can learn how to do that on our Windows setup guide.
- Open Network Settings from Taskbar
- Click Mobile Hotspot on the left
- Enable “Share my Internet Connection with Other Devices”
- Connect your Chromecast to this shared network
- Enjoy streaming content through Chromecast
This will turn your PC into a Wi-Fi broadcaster that can be shared by your Chromecast. If you run into problems and need a Chromecast VPN fix, contact your provider’s customer support.
Share VPN Connection Using a Mac
- Launch VPN on Mac
- Click Sharing Menu and click Internet Sharing
- Click menu bar from Start
- A green light will appear against the Internet Sharing option in the Sharing menu
- Connect your Chromecast to this shared network
- Enjoy streaming content through Chromecast
How to Choose the Best VPN for Chromecast?
VPN services come with various features that can be crucial to consider if you are trying to find the right VPN. Some of the features that should be essential in your preferred VPN are:
- Speed and bandwidth: Your connection speed is extremely important since you will be streaming HD videos from your Chromecast. Therefore, for smooth streaming, you should choose a fast VPN, such as one from the list above.
- Router support: Since Chromecast does not itself support VPN services, you will need to have a router that allows VPN configuration. The Chromecast can then connect the VPN-protected router and thus itself benefit from the VPN.
- Multi-login feature: The prevalence of digital gadgets in the modern world increases the requirement as to how many devices a VPN can support simultaneously. Some VPN providers support up to 5 connections at the same time, so you can use your Chromecast along with PC and smartphone easily with the VPN.
Why should I Use a Chromecast VPN?
VPN services are used for a number of reasons. If you are casting content from a device, then your device can also take advantage of the normal VPN benefits. You should be using a Chromecast VPN because:
1. You Can Bypass Geo-Restrictions
- Streaming sites and services are usually available in only certain regions. In the regions where they are available, the list of titles and shows vary from one country to another. As a result, it is possible that the show you want to stream through streaming services like Netflix is only available in the US or a country other than yours.
- A VPN can enable you to watch streams from any region in the world by changing your virtual IP address. In this way, whether you want to watch BBC iPlayer or Netflix US, you can use the same VPN service to access all sites. ExpressVPN works particularly well as a Netflix Chromecast VPN.
2. You Can Enhance Your Privacy
- One of the main purposes for which individuals use a VPN is to improve privacy. You can achieve the same privacy while you use Chromecast to stream your favorite content on the TV. Make sure you use a premium VPN service from the above list to keep your online activities a closely guarded secret.
Chromecast with SmartDNS – Chromecast VPN Workaround
A SmartDNS service works similar to a VPN by changing your apparent location on the web. Using SmartDNS service like Un-locator, you can change the DNS settings on your router to gain access to blocked streams for your Chromecast.
However, make sure you have a router that supports DNS changes since not all manufacturers make routers with variable DNS. Most routers by Asus, TP-Link, Linksys, and Cisco allow manual configuration of DNS, so if you have one of these, you are in luck.
Change the DNS settings as provided by your SmartDNS provider and connect your Chromecast to the VPN service for uninterrupted access to streaming channels.
Block Google DNS on Chromecast
In some cases, it is important to configure static routes in order to block default Google DNS settings. This is because those streaming channels that have access to Google DNS can still trace your real location thus cause you to be geo-blocked. You can avoid this problem by setting up statistic routes on your router as follows:
- Log in to your router interface
- Find Advanced Routing under Setup
- Enter 126.96.36.199 in Destination IP
- Put 255.255.255.255 in Subnet Mask
- Enter 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 as Gateway
- Click “Save Settings” and you’re good to go!
Best Free VPN for Chromecast
A free VPN for Chromecast is a bad idea. Almost all free VPNs are associated with selling your data to third parties in exchange for monetary returns. Other than that, free VPNs come with data limitations and won’t let you consume too much bandwidth.
Due to these reasons, we do not recommend users to use free VPNs with Chromecast.
To enjoy unhindered streaming for hours, make sure you use a premium VPN for Chromecast from the list above.
VPN and Chromecast both go hand in hand. The convenience and utility of Chromecast is incontestable. Although using chromecast with a VPN is not that easy, it is absolutely doable.
So, to unlock the true potential of the device, you should use a Chromecast VPN and gain access to all streaming content from around the world.
Did you find this article helpful? Do you use a VPN with chromecast? Let me know in the comments.