Streaming consoles are becoming more and more popular nowadays. Speaking of which, Roku is one such device that can help you stream dozens of quality content from all over the world. But without the best VPN for Roku, you might have to face geo-blocks.
Unfortunately, many channels, including VoD streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer are inaccessible in many parts of the world. And in order to unblock such popular content, you’ll need an approved IP address with the help of a VPN for Roku. Our top recommendation for Roku is ExpressVPN, because it not only offers excellent unblocking ability, but is easy to use on Roku devices and other streaming platforms.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
I have also come up with a super simple guide to help you install a VPN on your Roku devices as well as a list of some of the best VPN services for Roku.
Best VPN for Roku in 2021
Here’s a list of the 5 Best VPNs for Roku in 2021.
1. ExpressVPN – Best overall VPN for Roku
ExpressVPN is the leading VPN service for Roku. The service provides servers in more than 90+ countries with over 3000+ servers in total, so ExpressVPN on Roku is always full of options when it comes to servers, especially for streaming services.
All servers operate with exceptionally high speeds and provide a stable connection. Part of the reason behind the blazing fast speeds is ExpressVPN’s PPTP protocol. This protocol is considered the best for streaming and puts ExpressVPN among the best streaming VPN.
Security-wise, it uses robust encryption techniques of military-grade standards which is why we rated it so highly in our review of ExpressVPN. So, if you want to stream content through Roku anonymously and keep your activities safely guarded, ExpressVPN is the best Roku VPN service available.
It also offers a kill switch feature for added security and a strict no-logging policy so users know that no data would be collected. It offers 5 simultaneous connections to users and refreshes IP addresses frequently so users never get caught while accessing geo-restricted websites.
Here is a detailed guide on how to set up ExpressVPN on Roku.
- 3000+ worldwide servers
- PPTP protocol offered
- Collects no logs
- High speeds
- 256-bit encryption
- A bit pricey
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly option for Roku
Surfshark might be a new provider in the VPN industry, but its comprehensive list of features is quite impressive. It is the fastest VPN service with a download speed of 27.91 Mbps. Speaking of which, you can’t help but admire Surfshark’s ability to unblock almost any streaming channel available on Roku because of its 3200+ servers.
Among its other innovative features, it offers a multi-hop feature that provides twice the security and privacy. it’s one feature I highly admire. One thing I don’t like, however, is the lack of PPTP protocol. I wish Surfshark offered this protocol to ensure fast streaming speeds.
Surfshark for Roku can be availed for $2.49/mo , it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which is an absolute bargain. With its strong 256-bit encryption and privacy, you can use this Roku OpenVPN or IKEv2 to safely stream content on the device.
Let’s not forget, Surfshark offers unlimited connections on a single account, ensuring privacy on all devices you own except Roku.
As such, the cheap rates and amazing features make Surfshark VPN Roku a great experience. Learn how to set up Surfshark on Roku using our guide. Also, do check out how we’ve rated Surfshark in our review.
- 3200+ servers worldwide
- Unlimited connections on one account
- Super-affordable prices
- Multihop and whitelister feature
- 7-day free trial
- Average speeds on a few servers
3. NordVPN – Speedy VPN for Roku
NordVPN for Roku is a highly trusted VPN provider that has proven its excellence through consistent performance. It has 5500+ servers which are actually pretty cool.
Since you need fast and reliable servers to stream content through Roku, NordVPN is perhaps the best VPN for Roku. NordVPN also offers 6 simultaneous connections so you can use it on multiple devices at once.
In addition, the service uses a double VPN, which provides strong military-grade encryption to the user traffic flowing through the VPN server. While there’s a lot to love about NordVPN, I still wish the company would have added the PPTP protocol for the sake of seamless streaming speeds.
On the bright side, this VPN service for Roku offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee as well, which we’ve applauded in our NordVPN review. Long story short, NordVPN works great with Roku.
- Speedy servers for all platforms
- Offers HD streaming
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Best security features including DNS leak protection
- 24/7 live customer support
- Desktop app may be sluggish
4. IPVanish – Great streaming VPN for Roku
IPVanish is a US-based VPN service provider that offers the most advanced VPN features for users around the world. Its 1600+ servers cover more than 75+ locations in the world.
A variety of server locations means that IPVanish is particularly suited for Roku devices. Another reason why you’ll love IPVanish for Roku is because of its PPTP protocol which is optimized for fast speeds to stream all your favorite content on Roku.
Aside from protocols, other features like dedicated streaming servers, unlimited bandwidth, 10 simultaneous connections, and zero ISP throttling are the prime reasons why many people use IPVanish with Roku.
With tons of servers located within the US, streaming is a breeze through this VPN. Other than that, in terms of subscription rates and quality offered, IPVanish is perhaps the most reliable choice for Roku available out there.
IPVanish offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to users to check its service before purchasing the actual subscription. Check out how we’ve rated IPVanish in our review.
- Speedy HD streaming
- DNS leak protection and a kill switch
- 10 multi-logins offered
- ISP throttling
- 24/7 live chat support
- 256-bit encryption offered
- 1600+ servers only
5. CyberGhost – OpenVPN Protocols for Roku TV
CyberGhost is a Romanian VPN provider. The server infrastructure it boasts is quite impressive, with over 6600+ servers operating in 89+ countries so you can access streaming channels via Roku from anywhere in the world.
Not only that but just like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost also supports the super-fast PPTP protocol for HD content streaming. In fact, this is one of the main attractions pointed out in our CyberGhost review.
- 6600+ servers
- PPTP protocol for streaming offered
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 7 multi-logins offered
- Unblocks geo-restrictions easily
- Some servers may be slow
2 simple methods to set up your VPN on Roku
Roku does not support VPNs itself on any device. Therefore, you need to set up a VPN for Roku on a wifi router or any other intermediary device.
Here are two simple methods to set up a VPN on Roku:
1. Setting up a VPN on Roku using a virtual router.
2, Set up a VPN on Roku using a DNS proxy.
Unlike Fire Stick where you can simply sideload the VPN app and install it, Roku doesn’t have such support, at least not for now. Speaking of Fire Stick, if you’re considering using it instead of Roku, make sure you check out our blog on VPN for Fire Stick & Free VPN for Firestick.
Don’t worry though, just follow the below-mentioned super simple steps to add VPN to Roku. Let’s start with the virtual router method first since it’s considerably easier.
Connect Roku with a VPN-enabled wi-fi router
You can turn your PC and Mac into virtual routers that your Roku can share a VPN connection with. I will explain the step-by-step methods for configuring your PC and Mac to work as a virtual router below:
1. Setting up Roku with a VPN via Shared PC Internet Connection
Follow the steps below to set up a VPN Roku through your PC (Windows 10):
- To use VPN with Roku, you need to first install a VPN software on your system
- Click on the monitor icon on the task-bar and click “Open Network Internet Settings“
- In the new windows that open up, select Change adapter settings“
- Find your VPN connection in the list (PureVPN Roku in this case) and right click it to open “Properties”
- On the Sharing tab click check-mark for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection“
- Click “OK”
- Now you can use your PC as a virtual router
- Connect your Roku device to your PC’s Wi-Fi hot-spot
- That’s it!
2. Setting up VPN on Roku via Shared Mac Internet Connection
Note: This setup shows the sharing of Express VPN Roku through Mac acting as a virtual router. All the major steps will be the same for any provider, except for the minor details involving server addresses, protocols, and login credentials.
- Click the Apple logo on the top and open System Preferences…
- Select Network in the System Preferences menu
- Click the + sign on the bottom left when the new window opens to add a new VPN connection
- When the pop-up opens, choose these options:
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP over IPSec
- Service name: [Enter any name]
- Press Create
- Now enter the following details
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: [Enter the address of the server you want to connect to (for help, see your provider’s website)]
- Account Name: [your VPN username]
- Check “Show VPN status in menu bar” box
- Now open Authentication Settings to enter your VPN account password and “12345678” as Shared Secret. Click OK.
- Click on Advanced… and check “Send all traffic over VPN connection” before pressing OK.
- Select Apply to save settings
- Now back on the Network screen, press Connect to start the VPN on your Mac
- Navigate back to System Preferences and click “Sharing”
- Click on Internet sharing in the list of options on the left
- Next, use the following settings:
- Share your connection from: [The connection you just created]
- To computers using: Wi-Fi
- Choose Wi-Fi Options and enter the following information
- Network Name: [Pick any name]
- Channel: [Leave as default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: [Set a Password]
- Verify: [Re-type the Password]
(You will need to enter this password when you connect your Roku to your Mac as a virtual router)
- Now go back to the Sharing screen and check the “Internet Sharing” box.
- This should turn on the green light which says “Internet Sharing: On”
- Connect your Roku to the VPN configuration you have just created via your Mac (It should appear with the network name you chose)
- Congratulations! You have successfully shared a VPN connection from your Mac to Roku.
Connect Roku with a DNS proxy
In order to install a VPN Roku on a physical router, you will need a custom firmware that supports VPN installation. The best VPN router for Roku is DD-WRT. This firmware supports most VPN providers out there and it also allows users to configure their routers with greater control and flexibility.
The process of installing a VPN on a DD-WRT, however, is quite technically involved. I wouldn’t recommend this method if you are totally clueless about manually setting up routers.
For those of you that are still interested, here goes:
Note: This VPN setup on a physical DD-WRT router uses NordVPN Roku for demonstration purposes. The method almost the same for all other VPNs, but the specific values and commands used in the process will differ from VPN to VPN.
- Open DD-WRT Administrative Interface and visit Setup > Basic Setup.
- Enter the following DNS addresses under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP):
- Static-DNS-1 = 22.214.171.124
- Static-DNS-2 = 126.96.36.199
- Static-DNS-3 = 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Use DNSMasq for DHCP = Checked
- Use DNSMasq for DNS = Checked
- DHCP-Authoritative = Checked
- Now Save and Apply settings
- Open Setup > IPv6 and Disable it before pressing Save & Apply.
(This step is needed to prevent IP leaks)
- Navigate to Service > VPN and set Start OpenVPN Client = Enable under OpenVPN Client
This will open the options you need to access to configure the router. Enter the values as shown in the image below:
Note: Enter your username and password associated with your VPN account and enter a server IP/Name depending on your choice (you can get the server address from the official website of your provider)
- Copy/paste the following commands in the Additional Config field:
- Now download TLS and CA certificates from your provider’s official website. You can find NordVPN’s here.
- Unzip the downloaded file and open servers folder
- Open the CA.crt file of the server address you entered (which is us936_nordvpn_com_ca.crt for the present example), using Notepad
- Copy Paste the entirety of this text (from —-BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– to —–END CERTIFICATE—–) in the CA Cert field
- Open the TLS.key file of the server you selected (which is us936_nordvpn_com_tls.key for this example) with Notepad.
- Now paste all of its tests in the TLS Auth Key field box.
- Click Save and Apply Settings to finalize the setup
- To confirm that the VPN has been set up on your router navigate to Status > OpenVPN
- If it displays Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS, under State, then you should congratulate yourself for setting up a VPN for Roku through your router.
How to Create a US Roku Account?
If you want to run American streaming apps on your Roku such as HBO, US Netflix, Hulu, NBC, etc. you will need to have an American Roku account. The steps below outline how you can achieve this goal:
- First of all, use your VPN to connect to a US server
- Visit https://my.roku.com/index and click “Create account”
- Enter the required information and press “Continue”
- Select a PIN and press “Continue” again
- Select a payment option of your choice
- Enter a valid American address with zip code if you chose PayPal
- You must enter your address associated with your credit card if you chose this option
- Now convert your postal code into a valid zip code by taking the digits from your postcode and adding zero to the end if there are less than 5 digits. For instance, postal code N3K5F7 would mean zip code is 35700
- Note down the city associated with this zip code as you would need to enter this when setting up US Roku account
- Now open Roku home screen>Settings>Factory Reset and follow the instructions to reset it
- Your US account is successfully created, now you’re ready to use VPN and Roku simultaneously.
How to choose a Roku VPN? Our test methodology
Since there are over 850 VPNs available on the internet, choosing the right VPNs for Roku can be quite confusing. Here’s what you should check to choose the best VPN for Roku:
1. Easy to set up: Since Roku doesn’t allow VPNs to be directly installed on it, users need to download it on their virtual routers. Therefore, you need to select a VPN that is easy to set up on your device and offers clear setup instructions instead of confusing you more.
2. Streaming: Select a VPN that lets you unblock the geo-restricted content on Roku easily. This is one of the primary reasons to get a Roku VPN, hence you should always focus on this. If you’re hesitant, then just test the VPN service first using its refund policy.
3. Security: You should get a VPN that offers some high-security features like 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS leaks protection, etc. so you can remain secure while accessing geo-restricted services.
4. Speed: High speeds are one significant point of concern. Below average speeds would only lead to buffering while you’re trying to stream. Therefore, get yourself a VPN that has super-fast speeds like ExpressVPN.
5. Customer support: The VPN you choose should offer 24/7 live chat support so you can ask any question anytime you like.
Free VPNs for Roku – Should you use one?
A free VPN for Roku is a big NO. Most of the time, free VPNs sell your data to third-party companies in exchange for money. Other than that, a free VPN for Roku comes with bandwidth caps and won’t let you consume too much bandwidth.
Free VPNs also come with limited servers that wouldn’t let you stream everything across the world. Annoying ads are also one significant disadvantage.
Since your main use case would be streaming, we do not recommend users to use free VPNs with Roku TV because of the reasons above. To enjoy unhindered streaming for hours, make sure you use a premium VPN for Roku.
However, here are some free VPNs for Roku if you still need some suggestions:
1. ProtonVPN: ProtonVPN is one free VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth but only 3 servers to users. It may be compatible with Roku but it will barely unblock any geo-restricted content due to server limitations.
2. Windscribe: This free VPN provider offers some great security features like a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and more but offers only 10GB/mo to users. Hence, this VPN is barely for any user who is a fan of streaming.
3. Tunnelbear: While this VPN offer 20 free server locations that are practically more than ProtonVPN, it offers only a 500MB/mo data limit which actually prevents users from streaming for a long time.
Roku VPNs to Avoid in 2021
1. Hola VPN:
Hola was exposed to sell data of all its users to third parties back in 2015. Since then, then VPN is highly criticized and considered unreliable by us and all VPN users. This VPN used all of its users’ PCs as exit nodes to pass internet traffic through them, later to sell their logs.
2. VPN Book:
This VPN has vague policies and it still remains unexposed who actually is behind the company. This VPN is also believed to keep logs and send that information to the governments. Therefore, the privacy and performance of this VPN is questioned and it is not recommended by us at all.
Benefits of Using a VPN with Roku
A VPN unlocks the full potential of your Roku streaming stick by unblocking any streaming service not available in your country. You see, Roku uses Geo-IP tracking to identify which country you are located in. This is done by reading the country code of your IP address.
Your IP address is your virtual identity card and is shared with every server you connect to. While every IP address is usually unique, the first few digits represent the country you are sitting in – much like a country code at the start of the phone number.
Coming back to the subject…
When you use a VPN on Roku, your internet traffic is encrypted and routed through a super-secure third-party server that takes responsibility for protecting your data when it is in transit while making your intended website believe that you sitting in the same country as the VPN server.
This means that you can be sitting in Korea but make it look like you are sitting in the US and watch Roku with ease.
American Netflix on Roku
As we all know, Netflix ‘s American Content library is the most extended and contains a lot of quality streaming content. With a VPN, you can also access Netflix US on your Roku Device. For that you’ll have to create a U.S account on Roku.
- Set up a VPN on your router by following the above-mentioned steps
- Create an American account on your Roku
- Add U.S. Netflix or any other Geo-blocked channel to your Roku
- Enjoy unlimited streaming!
How to create a UK Roku account to watch British content?
If you are a fan of UK streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, iTV, Now TV, etc. then you must have a UK account setup on your Roku. These are the requisite steps to get a UK Roku account:
- Start your VPN and connect to a UK VPN server
- Open https://my.roku.com/index and select “Create account”
- Enter the information asked and press “Continue”
- Make a PIN and press “Continue”
- Choose a payment option (preferably PayPal since the PayPal country has no effect on Roku account)
- You can use a false UK address and use the postcode M2 4WU
- Reset your Roku device to factory settings
- Now you can access Roku with a UK account
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Channels are Free on Roku?
Some of the most popular free channels on Roku are Pandora, PBS Kids, Crackle, Twitch, The Weather Network & The Roku Channel
Can you Watch Live TV on a Roku?
There are various channels available on Roku that offer live TV coverage such as Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and DirecTV NOW. So yes you can actually watch live TON on a Roku, which is great news for cord-cutters.
What are the best alternatives for Roku?
A great alternative to Roku is the Amazon Fire Stick. Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick offers similar functionality as Roku but tends to be more flexible when it comes to installing third-party apps, like a VPN.
This makes it easier to unblock geo-restricted content on Fire TV than Roku as you do not need to go through the struggle of setting up a VPN on your wireless router. You can easily install a VPN on Fire TV, set up third-party apps, specify DNS servers, set up Kodi, etc.
Can I use Roku on a Smart TV?
Yes, Roku can be used easily on your Smart TV. You just need to connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable and you’re good to go. To access the geo-restricted content on Roku, just install a VPN app on your wireless router and unblock geo-restricted content on your Roku device as well as others.
Will Roku Work Outside the US?
Your Roku device itself will face no problem functioning outside of the US and display channels. However, there are geo-restrictions imposed on most US-based channels so it is these specific channels that won’t work outside the US. Thus, you will need to use a VPN with US servers to access America-only channels on your Roku.
Roku is a pioneer in entertainment and it doesn’t get better than this if you want to watch US TV shows and movies. So it is a shame that only US-based subscribers can get the best out of their Roku devices.
Fortunately, using the best VPN for Roku, you can watch all channels irrespective of your location. Entertainment shouldn’t be discriminatory!
In the end, I hope you found this article helpful. Hopefully, you now know how to set up a Roku VPN on your router.
And if you’re not looking for spending a lot of money, do check out our best VPN deals and best christmas VPN deals 2021. Moreover, for all other streaming devices apart from Roku, you can visit our best VPN guide for detailed information.