When it comes to streaming your favorite TV shows, movies or live gaming streams, nothing comes close to Nvidia Shield TV. But the geo-blockings and content restrictions can upset your streaming experience. To counter that, you will have to use an Nvidia Shield VPN.
So on that note, I’ve tested 100s of VPNs and shortlisted 5 best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV that offer the most immersive and streamlined streaming experience.
But first, a brief overview…
- PureVPN – Super affordable Shield TV VPN. Has 2000+ servers. Excellent support for Nvidia Shield.
- Private Internet Access – A reliable Nvidia Shield VPN. Has pretty decent features. Excellent streaming performance.
- Ivacy – A budget Shield VPN. Provides pretty decent features. Great streaming potential.
- IPVanish – An awesome Shield TV VPN. Packed with powerful features. Support for Fast streaming.
- NordVPN – VPN with 5600+ optimized servers. Capable of offering a seamless streaming experience.
5 Best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV in 2019
While there are countless VPNs on the market, not all of them offer support of Nvidia Shield. In fact, there are very few VPNs that tend to work reliably with Nvidia Shield.
Here is the criteria I used to curate the below-mentioned VPNs that includes:
- Supports Nvidia Shield Android TV
- Unblocks region blocked content
- Fast streaming speeds alongside strongest encryption
- No connection or usage logs
- Refund policy and server network
- Prevents ISP throttling
After testing numerous VPN Apps, a handful of VPNs services passed the above-described criteria. These selected Nvidia Shield TV VPNs are:
1. PureVPN – Best VPN for NVIDIA Shield TV
First up on this list we have PureVPN. Not only is this VPN budget-friendly, but it is also my preferred VPN for Nvidia Shield TV because it’s powerful features.
Above all, it offers an exclusive port forwarding benefit for its gaming users. This way, they can improve their online gaming experience to a new plane.
In addition, it uses military-grade encryption to help you access popular content streaming websites and bypass geo-restrictions.
The Hong Kong based provider also delivers dedicated streaming servers that help you watch your desired media stuff anonymously.
By doing so, you can also bypass ISPs throttling issues to certain degree. As a result, you can stream all your preferred TV shows or movies at appreciable connection speeds.
Interestingly, you can avail unlimited bandwidth to fulfill your streaming desires on your favorite Android TV box stress-free.
In case you want to unblock geo-restricted apps such as Netflix, Hulu, or HBO, PureVPN will get it done with ease.
View our detailed PureVPN review for more information.
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption
- Unblocks geo-restricted apps
- Anonymous streaming
- 2000+ servers in 140+ countries
- Unblocks Netflix from anywhere
- Nothing worth complaining about
2. Private Internet Access – Secure VPN for NVIDIA Shield TV
Protect your Nvidia Shield TV with a VPN tunnel offered by PIA. Since Nvidia Shield TV might be constantly connected to your Wi-Fi, there’s plenty of chance that your ISP can block your access to your favorite streaming sites.
Like PureVPN, you may use its port forwarding feature to to accomplish your streaming mission as per youe own terms.
That said, by using VPNs like PIA, you can encrypt your internet connection and use an anonymous IP to unblock hard to access popular VoD services.
Furthemore, in order to remain completely hidden over the internet, Private Internet Access gives you an option to pay anonymously with gift cards.
View our detailed PIA VPN review for more information.
- Unblock censorship filters
- Protects online privacy and identity
- Block ads and malware
- AES 256-Bit Encrypted network traffic
- No logs
- Only offers servers in 32 countries
3. Ivacy – Budget NVIDIA Shield TV VPN
Unblocking apps from anywhere now made easy with Ivacy. This is because you can stream anonymously through apps on Nvidia box while keeping your data secure at the same time.
With its blazing-fast speed, you get to access anything on the internet without limitations. Ivacy’s 1000+ servers offer a truly awesome streaming experience. And with 5 simultaneous connections, you can connect multiple devices including Nvidia box with just one Ivacy account.
View our detailed Ivacy review for more information.
- Available for all platforms including Nvidia Shield TV
- Stops 3rd party spying
- Keeps data secure
- Unblocks apps
- Fast streaming
- A limited number of servers
4. IPVanish – Feature-Rich NVIDIA Shield VPN App
Another VPN that offers awesome streaming performance and excellent compatibility for Nvidia Shield TV is IPvanish.
With over 1,300+ servers in 75+ locations, IPVanish manages to offer a buffer-free and private streaming experience.
Speaking of secure streaming, with the help of bulletproof 256-bit AES encryption and zero-logging policy, you can securely and anonymously stream all your favorite shows without worrying about a thing.
View our detailed IPVanish review for more information.
- Easily downloaded on Nvidia Shield TV
- Never keeps log
- Access censored apps and websites
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Only 7-day money-back guarantee
5. NordVPN – Affordable NVIDIA Shield TV VPN
NordVPN’s security features are favored by many Tech guru’s only because of its double VPN encryption feature. In addition to double VPN, NordVPN’s CyberSec feature prevents your device from intrusive advertisements and malicious online threats.
It has the highest number of VPN servers i.e. 5600+ in 60 countries. With such an enormous server park, you can literally unblock any website and online streaming service of your choice.
Note: NordVPN is currently unable to unblock Netflix on Nvidia shield devices.
View our detailed NordVPN review guide for more information.
- Automatic kill switch
- Double VPN protection
- Protects against intrusive advertisements
- Strict no-logs policy
- Slow streaming at times
- Currently doesn’t work with Netflix
How to Install a VPN on Nvidia Shield TV – Google Play
Nvidia Shield runs on an Android OS, thus, a lot of apps are compatible with it and can be downloaded quite easily. The instructions are really simple:
- Launch Nvidia Shield TV and click on Google Play Store
- Search for the VPN of your choice and press “Install”
- A shortcut of the VPN app will be visible on the main menu
- Launch the app and login with your credentials
Note: Make sure to have already subscribed to one of the above mentioned VPN providers through their website.
How to Install a VPN on Nvidia Shield TV – Sideloading Method
- First, subscribe to any VPN provider mentioned in the VPN table
- Now visit the VPN provider’s website and download its Android APK File
- Once downloaded, transfer the APK file into a USB flash drive > Delete the APK file from your computer
- Now ‘Switch On’ your Nvidia Shield > Do Not yet plugin your USB flash drive
- Go to Settings > Click on Security and Restrictions > Now Enable Unknown Sources option > Press OK
- Return to the Nvidia Shield Home Screen > Open Google Play Store
- Go to Search option > Find ES File Explorer > Install ES File Manager > Tap on Accept if it asks your permission
- Once the installation is completed, now ‘Plugin’ the USB flash drive into Nvidia Shield
- A pop will appear that will ask if you need to open ES File Explorer when the USB is connected > Select OK
- ES File Explorer will now open > On the left-side menu, click on Local > Then select on USB option > A box appears, select Open
- Once opened, you will see the APK file of a VPN provider so click on it > Press Install
- Select Install again > Once the installation is completed, Press Open
- The VPN app will now open > Enter Username and Password to Log In
- Configure the VPN by clicking on OK if Connection Request appears
- Now connect to any VPN server > Press Connect
- Every time you need to connect to a VPN, you will go to ES File Explorer > Then select a VPN
Nvidia Shield VPN for Netflix
Here is how you set up Netflix on Nvidia Shield TV:
- Go to Nvidia Shield TV Home screen
- Open Google Play Store > Search for Netflix
- Press Install > Enter Username and Password if you have Netflix subscription
- If you’re outside your home country, then you can access the same Netflix content with the help of Nvidia Shield TV VPN.
- Now access all Netflix content and start streaming movies and TV Shows on your Shield!
As you know that American Netflix has the biggest content library, you can now also stream Netflix US on your Shield TV with a VPN by following these steps.
Best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV Free
It so happens that there are some free VPN providers that do work with Nvidia Shield.
So after a bit of testing and background checking, I have curated a list of some free Nvidia Shield TV VPNs that are safe to use.
Even though free VPN providers might not explicitly mention support for Nvidia Shield TV, but since it runs on the Android platform, a lot of these VPN apps do indirectly tend to work with Nvidia shield devices.
That said, Most often than not, free VPNs are associated with selling your data to third parties in exchange for monetary returns.
Note: Free VPNs come with data caps and won’t let you consume too much bandwidth. To enjoy unhindered streaming for hours, make sure you use a premium VPN for Nvidia Shield.
Do you really need a VPN for NVIDIA SHIELD?
Yes! It’s absolutely essential to use a VPN for your Shield TV. Since Android TV are primarily used for content streaming, a VPN can help you stream movies and TV shows without any restrictions. It can also improve your online privacy and helps you stay secure while surfing the web.
The Wrap Up
Nvidia Shield TV is a perfect Android TV Box when it comes to streaming movies and TV Shows from around the world. Sadly with the growing number of geo-restrictions, a VPN is an absolute must to bypass geo-blocks for Shield TV.
So, after carefully testing a bunch of best VPNs, It will be safe to say that using one of these VPN for Nvidia Shield TV will help you enjoy all your favorite TV shows and movies on your Shield TV without worrying about any restrictions.