When it comes to streaming your favorite TV shows, movies or live gaming streams, nothing comes close to Nvidia Shield TV. But the Geo-blocking and content restrictions can upset your streaming experience. To counter that, you will have to use an Nvidia Shield VPN.
So on that note, I’ve tested 100s of VPNs and shortlisted 5 best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV that offer the most immersive and streamlined streaming experience.
Short on time? Here’s a quick overview
- PureVPN: The Best VPN for Nvidia Shield. Offers 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries worldwide. Working app for Nvidia Shield TV. Trial available for as low as $0.99. 31-days-refund guarantee. Starts at $3.33/mo on a 5-year plan.
- NordVPN: Secure VPN for Nvidia Shield TV. Offers 5,400+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide. App works with the Nvidia Shield TV. 7-day free trial for iOS/Android. 30-days refund guarantee. Starts at $3.71/mo on a 3-year plan + 3 months.
- Surfshark: Cheap VPN for Nvidia Shield TV. Offers 3,200+ servers in 60+ countries worldwide. Working app for Nvidia Shield TV. 7-day free trial for iOS/Android. 30-days money-back. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan + 3 months.
- ExpressVPN: Fast VPN for Nvidia Shield TV. Offers 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries worldwide. App works with the Nvidia Shield TV. 7-day free trial for iOS/Android. 30-days money-back. Starts at $6.67/mo on a 12-months + 3 months free plan.
- CyberGhost: Reliable VPN for Nvidia Shield TV. Offers 6,900+ servers in 90+ countries worldwide. Working app for Nvidia Shield. 1-day free trial available. 45-days refund guarantee. Starts at $2.25/mo on a 3-years + 3 months free plan.
- IPVanish VPN: Speedy & Secure VPN for Shield TV. Offers 1,600+ servers in 75+ locations worldwide. Working app for Nvidia Shield. Multi-logins on 10 devices. 30-days refund guarantee. Starts at $6.49/mo on a 1-year plan.
- Hotspot Shield: Freemium VPN Service for Nvidia. Offers 120+ servers in 80+ countries worldwide. App works with the Nvidia Shield TV. Multi-logins on 5 devices. 30-days refund guarantee. Starts at $11.04.mo on a 1-year plan.
- PrivateVPN: High-Tech and Strong VPN for Nvidia. Offers 150+ servers in 60 countries worldwide. App works with the Nvidia Shield TV. Multi-logins on 6 devices. 30-days refund guarantee. Starts at $2.55/mo on a 2-year plan.
- Ivacy VPN: Optimized & Inexpensive VPN for Nvidia. Offers 2,000+ servers in 100+ locations worldwide. App works with the Nvidia Shield TV. 7-day free trial. 30-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $1/mo on a 5-year plan.
9 Finest VPN Services for Nvidia Shield
After testing numerous VPN Apps, a handful of VPNs services passed the above-described criteria. Here are the 9 top Nvidia Shield TV VPNs in 2021:
1. PureVPN – Affordable & Best VPN
PureVPN is the preferred VPN for NVIDIA Shield TV because of its robust features and provision of reliable fast connection. The Hong Kong based provider delivers its services through dedicated streaming servers that help you watch your desired media stuff anonymously.
In addition, it uses an advanced AES 256-bit standard with end-to-end military grade encryption which is the most secure solution of an openly reachable cipher permitted by the NSA to guard information at a classified level.
The VPN does not allow any ISPs or third-party websites to track your online activities. That’s not all, it also restricts them from inspecting your data. The service provider strictly follows no log policy allowing expedient video streaming and page loads without buffering while shielding your system.
It provides you with an exclusive code for apps & software for all key platforms like Windows, iOS, Mac, Linux and Android. For professional usage it offers a devoted admin panel from where you can add or remove any team member.
Gaming enthusiasts also catered with a special port forwarding advantage to add an extra layer of security to networks which enhances their gaming experience. In case you want to unblock Geo-restricted apps such as Netflix, Hulu, or HBO, PureVPN will make it possible with ease.
Anywhere located public WiFi’s threats are guarded with high-end security enables your safe internet access during travel by just costing you roaming charges. Adequately enough bandwidth available for downloading and streaming videos.
The kill switch feature inevitably detaches your device connection from the Internet until the PureVPN connection is reinstated, so there’s no option that your IP address accidentally compromised when streaming NVIDIA Shield TV. Pricing plans of 3 variations available to lighten your pocket with 31 days money back guarantee.
View our detailed PureVPN review for more information.
- Protection dedicated service
- Multi device option with several concurrent connections
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Value for money VPN
- No log storage
- Unblocks Netflix from anywhere
- Multiple Payment Options
- Nothing worth complaining about
2. NordVPN – Safe & Reliable VPN
NordVPN is a strong competitor with full command on crucial extents of speed, protocols, security, and privacy. Its headquarters are based in Panama, a perfect selection of safe jurisdictions where local laws don’t support data retention and Internet surveillance.
Security is further strengthened with PGP keys to encrypt communication between customer and the VPN to protect the client’s data. Users have the option to choose between two types of kill-switches, either to close a specific app or termination of connection in case of any unforeseen dropout.
The service provider with its double VPN encryption and CyberSec feature prevents your device from intrusive advertisements and malicious online threats. With a massive server park, you can literally unblock any website and online streaming service of your choice.
The VPN’s is secured by AES 256-bit encryption with perfect forward secrecy, SHA2-384 authentication a 2048-bit DH key. Protocols used are WireGuard, OpenVPN UDP/TCP and IKEv2/IPSec.
NordLocker is an extra benefit available with every subscription, which encrypts files before sharing them on the cloud. Files are accessible only with people having NordLocker, making it secure enough and impossible for hackers to access your data. To save your files you will get 5GB of data free on sign up.
NordVPN enforces no data caps and allows torrenting through unlimited server switching. Its user-friendly interface is simple to adapt. It easily unblocks the content libraries of VoDs especially on Nvidia Shield & NETFLIX of foreign countries with all ease.
Optimized & automatic connection to the server, routing through numerous servers for improved obfuscation the VPN offers sufficient speed for HD streaming. It has three pricing plans of varying range. Thus, making it a great choice for Nvidia Shield Android TV.
View our detailed NordVPN review guide for more information.
- Automatic kill switch
- Double VPN protection
- Protects against intrusive advertisements
- Strict no-logs policy
- Torrenting & P2P allowed
- Own DNS Servers
- No ads, trackers, malware and phishing attempts
- Slow streaming at times
3. Surfshark – Economical & Guarded VPN
Surfshark is a unified VPN with a sturdy focus on safety. Its port forwarding feature allows you to accomplish your streaming mission as per your own terms and encrypt your internet connection with an anonymous IP to unblock hard to access popular VoD services.
The VPN offers no-logging services as per their Terms of Service, based out of a good jurisdiction in British Virgin Islands, and have good privacy features with double VPN support, OpenVPN protocol, IKEv2/IPsec along with AES-256-GCM encryption cipher on the data channel.
For accessing streaming giants like Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus & HBO, Surfshark provides a list of specialized servers that utilize obfuscation technology to transform VPN traffic into regular HTTPs traffic, granting easy access to different VoDs.
Surfshark protects your Nvidia Shield TV with a VPN tunnel. Since Nvidia Shield TV might be constantly connected to your Wi-Fi, there’s plenty of chance that your ISP can block your access to your favorite streaming sites. The VPN easily bypasses the restrictions imposed by your ISP and you can enjoy unrestricted streaming on your Shield TV.
Furthermore, in order to remain completely hidden over the internet, Surfshark for Nvidia Shield gives you an option to pay anonymously with gift cards. If you’re still not sure about the claims and want to try it yourself, you can easily opt for Surfshark’s 7 day free trial.
Surfshark offers apps for Windows, iOS, Mac, Linux, and Android, browser extensions of Firefox and Chrome, and its Smart DNS system helps to unblock websites on TVs, gaming consoles etc. With an added advantage of unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account gives an ideal solution for big families.
The service provider uses Hacklock to monitor users’ email and password for any security breaches. Its Blind Search tool provides an ad-free streaming experience. Pricing plans of three durations available with Surfshark with 30 days money-back guarantee.
View our detailed Surfshark review for more information.
- Transparent and privacy-friendly logging policy
- Unblock censorship filters
- AES 256-Bit Encrypted network traffic
- Private DNS & leak protection
- 24/7 live chat support in multiple languages
- Whitelister & Multihop features
- Split Tunneling
- Torrenting & P2P file sharing
- Offers less servers than other competitors
- Unblock censorship filters
- AES 256-Bit Encrypted network traffic
- No logs
- Offers less servers than other competitors
4. ExpressVPN – Exceptionally Strong VPN
ExpressVPN is another service that works great with Nvidia Shield TV. You can download it on Nvidia Shield in two ways. You can either install its app from Google Play Store, or you can side-load its app.
You can use ExpressVPN with Nvidia Shield to access Geo-restricted apps that are only available in certain regions. Its strong and versatile server base and powerful unblocking capabilities make it one of the best streaming VPNs for 2021 on my list.
You can check out ExpressVPN speed test results & if you want to try it yourself before buying, opt for its trial which is absolutely free. It uses AES-256 encryption & OpenVPN protocol for security and kill switch is triggered by default.
It provides uncompromised speed and security to bypass network restrictions anonymously and protect the data and files from cyber-attacks. Express VPN’s software is equipped with a handy speed test to help users find the fastest server to make sure about their security.
Diagnostic information can be viewed at any time if someone having any problems with the software. The VPN strictly follows no log policy and does not track any online activity due to safe jurisdiction in the BVI away from surveillance & data retention laws.
The service provider supports popular browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari with extensions. Express VPN service is user-friendly to the extent that by installing the app and connecting the device to a secure server; users don’t need to have learn the skill to use it.
It carries system updates frequently to improve its functionality. Recently incorporated protocol Lightway gives super faster speeds and elevated encryption. It has dedicated apps for almost all platforms. Servers running on RAM disk mode make it more secure to stream VoD’s.
Read our extended review on ExpressVPN for more information.
- Easily downloaded on Nvidia Shield TV
- Never keeps log
- Unblocks censored apps and websites
- OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, PPTP
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Zero-knowledge DNS
- Split tunneling
- A little expensive
5. CyberGhost – Fast & Secure VPN
CyberGhost is a proficient VPN service with a compatible configurable on all platform clients making it super easy to unblock VoDs. It is equipped with military-grade encryption of AES 256-bit cipher, 4096-bit RSA key &SHA256 for substantiation.
Industry standard protocols including OpenVPN, PPTP, IKEv2, SSTP, L2TP/IPSec, with perfect forward secrecy security features allow a separate private encryption key for each session, which makes it very difficult for hackers to break into your connection.
Its servers are optimized for torrenting that guarantees high speeds, higher stability, and boosted performance to serve the P2P processes. CyberGhost uses its private DNS servers to avoid third-party or government interruptions for censor or logs.
Windows Credential Leak, IP Leaks, DNS leaks, WebRTC Leaks are totally protected with the service provider which generally other VPN service providers lack. Browsing and streaming oh HD content never drops with excellent speed even while you play online games.
There are devoted Netflix & BBC iPlayer streaming servers that allow you to access UK, US, German and French content. Torrenting is also facilitated on all servers of the VPN. The kill switch feature automatically disconnects you when connection is lost.
Regarding its logging and surveillance policies, it usually collects the data and deletes it after an interval. CyberGhost has a user-friendly interface with advanced apps for Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, etc. allowing fast and secure internet surfing.
You have easy access to a live chat support team 24/7 with an instant response within 30 second. Pricing plans of 3 varying durations available and it offers a maximum period of 45 days money-back guarantee which is the highest among its competitors.
- Specialized streaming servers
- Compatibility for major devices
- AES 256-Bit Encryption
- Complete leak protection
- Prompt receptive live chat support
- Kill Switch
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Easy Torrenting
- Ad block does not work properly
Read our detailed 2021 CyberGhost Review for more information.
Substantially growing VPN service provider is striving hard to gain its share in the market. It is also able enough to work with Nvidia Shield TV easily. Unlike VPN giants it is competing to their levels with 150+ servers in 60+ countries but competing to their levels.
For Netflix they have a dedicated servers list. With the VPN streaming is all along a new experience with super-fast speed and unblocking capacity. Unlimited P2P file sharing and torrenting can easily be done with proficiency.
Its data leaks are protected through DNS leak protection, IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch which will disconnect you from the ISP too to avoid being exposed. Security protocols used by the VPN are AES 256-bit encryption, OpenVPN with UDP/TCP, L2TP and IKEv2.
The service provider is trying to get access for live chat support 24/7 but till now if you don’t find them online, they will redirect you to the mail section. Once connected to the live support team, you will be entertained professionally.
Its installation guidelines are very easy to follow and connection setup is a short procedure. User interface is flexible to understand for non-tech persons. It offers unlimited bandwidth for all its purchasing plans.
Just like the other VPN service providers it also offers three different pricing plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee only if you have used the data under 100GB, so always keep this in your mind and try to make a decision before you reach the limit.
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Supports all devices
- 2048-bit encryption with AES-256
- Torrenting allowed
- OpenVPN protocol used
- Fast Speed
- Automatic kill switch is only available for windows app
Read this detailed 2021 PrivateVPN Review for more information.
7. IPVanish VPN – High-tech & Strong VPN
IPVanish unblocks content with geo restrictions and safeguard you from hacking attacks on public places. A huge network of servers is available with a generous number of IP addresses to engage traffic in spread and avoid any disruption or delays.
Streaming HD content with high speed, uninterrupted from ads gives exceptional pleasure. The VPN uses high-end encryption with speed and security. You can connect 10 devices simultaneously. Specialized apps are also available for MacOS, Android, iOS, Windows, and Amazon Fire TV.
Located in the US, the VPN strictly follows no log policy clearly stated by them. Sufficient protocols like SSTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2 are strengthening its service. The kill switch feature protects the leakage with prompt responsiveness.
IPVanish doesn’t limit torrent action and you can easily download files. Split tunneling and kill switch features are available with the VPN for uninterrupted secure streaming. Manual setup option for Android, Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, wireless routers, and Chromebook, is available.
The service provider brings fast, encrypted connections shielding the users’ online safety with completely limiting the involvement of third parties. Its scramble feature hides your information by using a VPN. It is helpful for countries where VPN detection software are strong.
With every subscription of IPVanish VPN service you will get an additional 250 GB cloud storage of SugarSync®. This storage helps you keep backups safe from hacker attacks. NVIDIA SHIELD is supported through IPVanish protocol of OpenVPN (TCP) and OpenVPN (UDP).
There are three pricing plans available to subscribe with 30 days money back guarantee. It also offers 7 days free trial for iOS apps only.
- Zero logs
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Encryption with AES-256
- Anonymous Torrenting
- OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec VPN protocols used
- Leak Protection
- SOCKS5 Web Proxy
- Client service is not efficient
Read this detailed 2021 IPVanish Review for more information!
8. Hotspot Shield – Exceptional & Fast VPN
Hotspot Shield easily unblocks the geo-restricted content and works well best with the Nvidia Shield TV. It keeps the secure connectivity with vigorous encryption of AES 256 bit with malware and leak protection.
The VPN can be used on wide range of devices and platforms as it provides dedicated apps for MacOS, iOS, Android, and Windows with Chrome browser extension too. Other manual installation procedures are also available for other platforms.
Torrenting and P2P file sharing is allowed with superb uploads and downloads. Its high speed and unblocking capacity allow streaming channels access easy. Its exceptional Catapult Hydra protocol increases speed without losing security.
Up to 5 simultaneous devices can be connected with Hotspot Shield. You can navigate through user interface easily and for any problem there is a 24/7 live chat support available which quickly answers. The kill switch feature is unfortunately available for Windows app only.
Security is further strengthened with PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEv2, and Open VPN. Catapult Hydra protocol was developed by Hotspot shield itself in replacement of IPSec protocol to engage more strength across the network. Pricing plans of 3 duration and prices available with 45 days generous money-back guarantee.
- No data leaks
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Encryption with AES-256
- OpenVPN and L2TP VPN protocols used
- Leak Protection
- Torrenting allowed
- Uses third party DNS servers
Read this detailed 2021 Hotspot Shield Review for more information!
9. Ivacy – Budget NVIDIA Shield TV VPN
Unblocking apps from anywhere is now made easy with Ivacy. This is because you can stream anonymously through apps on Nvidia box while keeping your data secure at the same time. This makes it one of the best options for Shield Android TV.
With its blazing-fast speed, you get to access anything on the internet without limitations. Ivacy’s 2000+ servers offer a truly awesome streaming experience. And with 10 simultaneous connections, you can connect multiple devices including Nvidia box with just one Ivacy account.
Military-grade encryption of AES 256-bit security aligned with multiple protocols including L2TP, IPSEC, TCP, IKeV2, OpenVPN, and UD is with the VPN. Kill switch feature is available with the VPN and disconnects you form any leaks.
The speed is exceptional to stream Hulu, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer amongst other streaming sites without buffering and lag. Ivacy is accessible for Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, game consoles etc. with easy and quick installation procedure.
Manual for installation on Smart TV, Open Elec, Linux, Blackberry, Kodi, routers and consoles etc is also available with easy instructions. Live chat support is active and you don’t have to wait long for their reply. There is an email, social media support option too.
Torrenting is allowed on dedicated servers. It follows strict malware blocking and no logging policy due to its acclaimed safe jurisdiction in Singapore. The VPN supports up to 5 connections at a time and its android and windows apps are light to use.
It also has three pricing plans of varying durations with 30-day money back guarantee. A 7-day money-back guarantee on monthly plan is also available for users who have not exceeded the 7GB data usage and 30 session runs.
How to choose a VPN for Nvidia Shield TV
While there are countless VPNs on the market, not all of them offer support of Nvidia Shield. In fact, there are very few VPNs that tend to work reliably with Nvidia Shield.
Here is the criteria I used to curate the below-mentioned VPNs that includes:
- Supports Nvidia Shield Android TV
- Unblocks region blocked content
- Fast streaming speeds alongside strongest encryption
- No connection or usage logs
- Refund policy and server network
- Prevents ISP throttling
How to Install VPN on Nvidia Shield TV – Google Play
Nvidia Shield runs on an Android OS, thus, a lot of apps are compatible with it and can be downloaded quite easily. The instructions are really simple:
- Launch Nvidia Shield TV and click on Google Play Store
- Search for the VPN of your choice and press “Install”
- A shortcut of the VPN app will be visible on the main menu
- Launch the app and login with your credentials
Note: Make sure to have already subscribed to one of the above mentioned VPN providers through their website.
How to Install a VPN on Nvidia Shield TV – Sideloading Method
- First, subscribe to any VPN provider mentioned in the VPN table
- Now visit the VPN provider’s website and download its Android APK File
- Once downloaded, transfer the app APK file into a USB flash drive > Delete the APK file from your computer
- Now ‘Switch On’ your Nvidia Shield > Do Not yet plugin your USB flash drive
- Go to Settings > Click on Security and Restrictions > Now Enable Unknown Sources option > Press OK
- Return to the Nvidia Shield Home Screen > Open Google Play Store
- Go to Search option > Find ES File Explorer > Install ES File Manager > Tap on Accept if it asks your permission
- Once the installation is completed, now ‘Plugin’ the USB flash drive into Nvidia Shield
- A pop will appear that will ask if you need to open ES File Explorer when the USB is connected > Select OK
- ES File Explorer will now open > On the left-side menu, click on Local > Then select on USB option > A box appears, select Open
- Once opened, you will see the app APK file of a VPN provider so click on it > Press Install
- Select Install again > Once the installation is completed, Press Open
- The VPN app will now open > Enter Username and Password to Log In
- Configure the VPN by clicking on OK if Connection Request appears
- Now connect to any VPN server > Press Connect
- Every time you need to connect to a VPN, you will go to ES File Explorer > Then select a VPN
How to get Nvidia Shield for Netflix?
Here is how you set up Netflix on Nvidia Shield TV:
- Go to Nvidia Shield TV Home screen
- Open Google Play Store > Search for Netflix
- Press Install > Enter Username and Password if you have Netflix subscription
- If you’re outside your home country, then you can access the same Netflix content with the help of Nvidia Shield TV VPN.
- Now access all Netflix content and start streaming movies and TV Shows on your Shield!
As you know that American Netflix has the biggest content library, you can now also stream Netflix US on your Shield TV with a VPN simply by connecting to a US server before you start streaming Netlfix
Best Free VPN for Nvidia Shield TV
It so happens that there are some free VPN providers that do work with Nvidia Shield.
So after a bit of testing and background checking, I have curated a list of some free Nvidia Shield TV VPNs that are safe to use.
Even though free VPN providers might not explicitly mention support for Nvidia Shield TV, but since it runs on the Android platform, a lot of these VPN apps do indirectly tend to work with Nvidia shield devices.
That said, Most often than not, free VPN services are associated with selling your data to third parties in exchange for monetary returns.
Note: Free VPNs come with data caps and won’t let you consume too much bandwidth. To enjoy unhindered streaming for hours, make sure you use a premium VPN for Nvidia Shield.
What are the best apps for the Nvidia Shield?
The next generation streaming media player Nvidia Shield is Google’s growing app. To enhance your streaming experience following apps that work best with this device.
- Netflix- Paid App
- Hulu – Paid App
- Sling TV – Paid App
- CBS – Paid App
- Showtime – Paid App
- HBO Now – Paid App
- PBS Kids -Free App
- Pluto -Free App
- Kodi -Free App
- Plex -Free App
- Fox Now -Free App
- Watch Food Network etc. -Free App
Does Nvidia Shield support VPNs?
Yes! All the VPN major players with a repute are supported by Nvidia Shield which help them to protect data and fluent streaming experience through VPNs unblocking attribute. The VPNs that does not work with Nvidia Shield have definitely a rare presence in the market as well.
How do I stop buffering on my Nvidia Shield?
In case you encounter buffering issue, you can take the following steps;
- Reconnect your internet connection
- Reset your Nvidia Shield on factory setting
- Reinstall the Nvidia Shield application
- Clear the caches
- Choose a reputable VPN to avoid buffering
VPN for NVIDIA SHIELD Frequently Asked Questions
Do you really need an Nvidia Shield VPN?
Yes! It’s absolutely essential to use a workable VPN for your Shield TV. Since Android TV are primarily used for content streaming, a VPN service can help you stream movies and TV shows without any restrictions. It can also improve your online privacy and helps you stay secure while surfing the web.
Can you be tracked if you use a VPN?
With the use of VPN, you cannot be tracked unless and until you are using an industry-standard VPN with proven technology and infrastructure. Through a workable VPNs with tested record your IP addresses are masked and does not allow anyone to track them.
Should I use a VPN at home?
Yes! VPNs beside their unblocking capacity they are the protecting tools from hack attacks, privacy leaks, malware and phishing attempts. It secures your online activities from the internet vulnerabilities.
Should I use a VPN on my phone?
Yes! Just like its need for home, VPN is necessary for phones too. It specially helps you when you are at public places with WiFi. Hacker through these open places try to reach your data and you may counter a cyber-attack. VPNs protect your banking transactions credentials too.
Nvidia Shield TV is a perfect Android TV Box when it comes to streaming movies and TV Shows from around the world. A VPN is an absolute must to bypass Geo-blocks for Shield TV with the unavailability of geo restricted content globally.
So, after carefully testing a bunch of 9 best VPNs, you can choose any one that suits your requirements to watch your favorite TV shows and movies through Nvidia Shield TV.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?