How to Quickly Set Up ExpressVPN on Synology (2023)
- Updated: June 1, 2023
- 0 User Reviews
- Gerald Hunt
You can easily set up ExpressVPN on NAS Synology using OpenVPN configuration files through our guide.
Synology has been a widely acknowledged device when it comes to securing file storage and sharing for both personal and business users.
However, to ensure the best safety for your files such as videos, photos, and even documents, a VPN comes as the perfect tool to help you achieve that. Especially during file transfers that could be vulnerable to interception and hacking on your Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices.
Thankfully, you can use ExpressVPN on Synology for encrypting your data and protecting it against online threats. Learn more about ExpressVPN through our ExpressVPN review .
Now, let’s see how you can set up ExpressVPN on Synology and protect your data storage.
How to Set up ExpressVPN on Synology
To set up ExpressVPN on Synology , follow the steps below:
First stage: Get account credentials:
- Go to the ExpressVPN Downloads page and Sign in after entering your credentials.
- Enter the verification code sent to your provided email address.
- After successfully accessing the ExpressVPN website using the link, navigate to Set Up on More Devices and click on it.
- Scroll down the page until you find the Manual Config option in the left-hand menu. Click on this.
- Click on OpenVPN in the main section.
- Now, you should be able to see the username, password, and a list of OpenVPN configuration files.
- Select and download the OpenVPN configuration file peculiar to the location you are trying to access or connect to.
Second stage: Create and set up your new VPN profile
Before you proceed to the next stage, ExpressVPN recommends users switch off IPv6 on their device to avoid any potential data leaks. You can learn more about this on ExpressVPN for Synology on its official website.
- To add a new VPN profile, go to Control Panel > Network > Network Interface.
- Click Create > Create VPN Profile.
- On the connect method screen display, choose OpenVPN (via importing .ovpn file).
- Click on Next.
- Follow up by filling in details on the General Settings screen. These include the Profile name, Username, Password, and import .ovpn file. The details of the Username and password should be the same as those given in Stage 1. Also, the import .ovpn file should be the same as well.
- Click the Next button
- Select the Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost and Use the default getaway on remote network boxes.
- Click Apply to continue.
The third stage: Connect to the VPN server
- You will now see your new VPN profile in the Network Interface window.
- Select the VPN profile you created, then click Connect.
- In case you want to disconnect, the Disconnect option will also be available in the same area.
Why you should use ExpressVPN on Synology
ExpressVPN does not only ensure the complete anonymity of your Synology files, but it also guarantees a premium user experience. These advanced features mentioned below will further enhance your privacy and security while using Synology.
1. It is constantly optimized to deliver the fastest speeds possible when you surf the web. You can confirm this using our ExpressVPN speed test .
2. It provides a 24/7 customer support service that allows you to receive real-time solutions to any problem you might encounter when using ExpressVPN.
3. The global server location feature offers you the ability to access your files remotely from anywhere in the world without being limited by geo-restrictions.
4. IP masking ensures your anonymous identity on the web.
5. ExpressVPN kill switch called Network Lock that stops your system from accessing the internet if your VPN connection suddenly drops.
6. “All-device’’ compatibility ensures that all your Synology gadgets can work with ExpressVPN .
Also, set up ExpressVPN on the following devices:
7. Some of its best features include AES-256 encryption which keeps all your files out of the reach of snooping parties including hackers, ISPs, or even the government while transferring to and from Synology.
8. ExpressVPN Split Tunnelling feature allows your device to bypass VPN services on some of its functions.
9. A strict no-logs policy ensures that your web activities are never monitored or recorded
10. You can also torrent through ExpressVPN’s P2P-optimized servers .
11. ExpressVPN is also great for streaming. You can unblock Netflix with ExpressVPN easily.
Unblock streaming services with ExpressVPN:
If ExpressVPN is not for you, check out these other best VPNs for Synology . Perhaps you might find something a lot cheaper.
How much does ExpressVPN cost per year?
ExpressVPN offers three subscription plans including ExpressVPN’s 12+3 months free plan which comes at a price of $6.67 per month after a 49% discount.
This plan is the most popular one and also the cheapest. Further ExpressVPN plans are listed below:
- 6-month plan: ExpressVPN also offers a 6-month plan at a cost of $9.99 per month.
- 1-month plan: ExpressVPN also offers a 1-month plan at a price of $12.95 per month which is an excellent choice for you if you want to try it on your Synology device. ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it and cancel ExpressVPN anytime to get a refund.
If you haven’t used ExpressVPN before, then you can try ExpressVPN’s free trial to test it. This VPN previously offered an amazing ExpressVPN lifetime plan but not anymore.
Why use a VPN on Synology ?
One major reason why you should use a VPN on Synology ,is for data protection. A VPN keeps your internet traffic secure and encrypts NAS files. It reduces the risk of important files getting hacked. A VPN also masks your IP address, thus offering online anonymity.
Which VPN is best for Synology ?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Synology as it follows a strict no-logs policy and offers the best encryption with perfect forward secrecy. It also offers its proprietary Lightway protocol with 3000+ servers in 94 countries.
There’s absolutely no need to take any unnecessary risks with the files stored on your Synology NAS. ExpressVPN on Synology are a great combination when it comes to safeguarding your important files over NAS networks. Subscribe to a VPN and give yourself peace of mind that your personal or business data will always be protected.