Synology is a company that manufactures Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. As the name implies, NAS devices provide centralized data storage for home or office networks. The product line of Synology includes router with built-in NAS, hard drives, among much else. In order to function, these devices simply need access to the Internet.
Since these devices operate over the Internet, it is important to encrypt data stored in NAS devices. This is why users should only use the best VPN for Synology to ensure adequate security of their data. In this article, we will check out 5 VPNs compatible with Synology, as well as how to install a VPN on your Synology devices.
But first, a brief overview of some secure VPNs…
- PureVPN: Super affordable VPN capable of offering industry-leading encryption and protocols.
- Surfshark – A low budget VPN with plentiful features to keep your NAS device secure.
- NordVPN: 5500+ global server coverage with powerful obfuscation feature.
- ExpressVPN: Blazing fast VPN with super-secure servers for rock-solid privacy.
- Ivacy: 2000+ anonymous servers and powerful features to keep your online activities secure.
5 Best VPNs for Synology in 2021
With the growing number of cyber-threats, Synology devices need a VPN to guarantee maximum protection and encryption of your data.
Therefore, we have compiled a list of the 5 Best VPNs for Synology NAS in 2021.
1. PureVPN – Best VPN App for Synology
PureVPN is a Hong-Kong based provider. It has a simple and intuitive user interface so anyone can use it without any hassle. PureVPN operates a huge network of 6500+ servers that are geographically dispersed throughout the world.
PureVPN uses strong encryption protocols like OpenVPN that provide great security to your network traffic. Therefore, we recommend PureVPN as one of the best VPNs for Synology router as well as other NAS devices. Best of all, PureVPN offers 10 multi logins and extensive 31-day refund policy.
- Provides over 6500+ servers in more than 140 servers
- Uses military-grade encryption protocols
- Follows zero-logging policy
- Cross-platform functionality
- Does not offer free trial feature
- Can take multiple attempts to connect to a specific server
Read our full PureVPN review to find out more about this service.
2. Surfshark – Secure Service for Synology
Surfshark has quickly become the more renowned VPN service provider in the industry. The server list of Surfshark has grown from just a few servers to now over 3200+ servers worldwide. The performance of each server is considerably good and delivers blazing-fast consistent speeds.
Users that wish to perform torrenting will find Surfshark as one of the best VPN services for Synology. This is because Surfshark offers dedicated servers for P2P networking and powerful 256-bit encryption.
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections
- Offers dedicated P2P servers
- Offers 3200+ servers worldwide
- Nothing worth complaining
You can find more information about this service in our Surfshark review.
3. NordVPN – NAS VPN with Great Coverage
NordVPN has a strong reputation in the VPN industry as being one of the most secure and fastest VPN services. It has a gigantic network of more than 5500+ servers that are distributed in more than 59 countries.
Moreover, NordVPN is known for using state-of-the-art encryption such as a double VPN which offers robust security, and unmatched privacy.
NordVPN offers unlimited bandwidth for all of its servers. You can use NordVPN for all kinds of purposes from streaming videos to bypassing Geo-restrictions.
For these reasons, NordVPN is arguably the best VPN for Synology that you can have.
- Provides 5500+ servers located across 59+ countries
- Offers unlimited bandwidth for all servers
- Does not track user activity or data
- Supports torrenting and streaming
- Enabling double VPN feature can cause a drop in server speed
To find out more about this service, read our detailed NordVPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – Best for Streaming on Synology
ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPN providers in the industry. The servers of ExpressVPN cover more than 90 countries around the world, and their server park is comprised of more than 3000 super-fast servers.
With the help of blazing fast servers, ExpressVPN manages to deliver fast and stable speeds for smooth streaming and torrenting.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN uses user-friendly privacy policies and 256-bit AES encryption for ultimate privacy. concerning all the features, ExpressVPN is perhaps one of the best VPNs for Synology available today.
- Offers fast speeds with unlimited bandwidth
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Users can avail 30 days money-back guarantee
- Provides responsive customer support
- Subscription plans are more expensive than other providers
You can check out our comprehensive ExpressVPN review for more information about this provider.
5. Ivacy – Best for Torrenting on Synology
Ivacy is a Singapore-based VPN provider that offers more than 2000 servers geographically scattered in over 100 locations.
With Ivacy, you can bypass Geo-restrictions and access websites from anywhere in the world. It is a reliable VPN service for streaming as well as torrenting.
Ivacy is available on all major platforms such as Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Moreover, the most attractive feature of Ivacy is its cheap subscription plans.
For users looking for an inexpensive solution, Ivacy is perhaps the best VPN for Synology around.
- Uses up-to-date protocols
- Offers dedicated servers for streaming and torrents
- Provides cross-platform compatibility
- Over 2000 servers in 100+ locations
- Does not offer a free trial
Learn about the key features of this provider more in our in-depth Ivacy review.
Why should you use a VPN for Synology?
When your data transfers between one data center to another, there’s always an imminent risk that someone might steal your data. However, by using a Virtual Private Network, your network traffic gets end to end encrypted. This way, when your data gets transferred, it reaches the appropriate NAS device without being tempered with.
Thanks to VPN encryption, no matter what you transfer online, no one can intercept your data packets, and your data reaches its destination without leaving a trace.
How to Install VPN on Synology
Installing a VPN on Synology is a task of moderate difficulty. There are two different methods for installing VPNs on Synology, depending on the protocol you wish to use.
Generally, the process is lengthier and more complicated if you want to install your VPN using OpenVPN rather than PPTP.
For OpenVPN installation, you can find installation guides on the pages of your chosen VPN provider. The configuration of OpenVPN is different depending on the VPN provider. However, PPTP installation is generally the same.
Read the steps below to find out how to set up VPN on a typical Synology device:
- Open your Synology control panel
- Click on the “Network” icon
- Choose “Create” and then select “Create VPN profile”
- Choose “PPTP” as your VPN connection method and click “next”
- Enter your credentials such as username, password, server location (you can find these on the provider’s support page) and other details, then click “Next”
- Enter advanced settings as follows:
Authentication: Select “MS-CHAP v2”
Encryption: Select “Maximum MPPE (128 bit)”
Although these are the generally applicable settings, make sure to verify your providers’ specifications for advanced settings.
- Check “use default gateway on remote network” and “reconnect when the VPN connection is lost”
- Click “Apply”
- Select your new VPN profile and click “Connect”
As soon as you connect to the Synology VPN server, your Synology NAS device(s) will be protected by your VPN service provider.
Synology Router VPN
As discussed previously, Synology offers a wide range of NAS products, including routers. You can convert a Synology router into a VPN server.
In order to do this, you should first select one service from our list of best VPNs for Synology. Once you have subscribed to a VPN provider, you can follow the steps provided by Synology on their guide.
You can also read our article on the best VPN for DD-WRT router to find out which VPN providers offer the best quality for these routers.
Synology VPN Client
Like your Synology router, your other Synology NAS devices can be turned into VPN clients using the same steps as highlighted above. All you need is a VPN provider subscription and one or more Synology NAS devices.
You can use either PPTP, OpenVPN, or L2TP/IPSec protocols offered by your VPN provider to turn your Synology device into a VPN Client.
We strongly recommend using a reliable VPN service provider that offers only the most up-to-date protocols like OpenVPN. The security of your data stored on your Synology NAS device should be ensured through these protocols.
Synology NAS devices are highly useful as centralized data storage. It offers a convenient platform for users to store and manage their data from a single point.
However, since these devices operate over the Internet, it is extremely important to maintain security through high-quality encryption provided by VPNs.
Therefore, you should definitely use the best VPN for Synology and ensure adequate security of your centralized data with the strongest encryption protocols around.
We hope you found this article instructive. Check out our list of best VPN services for all-rounder VPNs.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?