Award winning on-demand entertainment service KODI or, formerly known as XMBC, is an open source entertainment service to stream live TV, movies, music, pictures and even games. The Kodi platform doesn’t offer pre-stored content and requires the user to add streaming channels on the desktop & mobile apps from local storage or from the internet. In this guide, you can follow the step by step instruction on How to Add Channels on Kodi.
However, there is a geo-restriction and internet censorship barrier that user’s face upon accessing various channels on the platform. To instantly bypass the restrictions and watch unlimited blocked content on Best Kodi addons, you can use the leading edge KODI VPN services specified in this guide. With a range of top-tier servers located in major parts of the world, the Kodi VPNs for October 2017. provide blazing fast streaming, uninterrupted connection and unmatched entertainment experience.
Kodi VPN Setup using VPN Manager for OpenVPN
If you are looking to setup a VPN directly on Kodi through an addon, then check out VPN Manager for OpenVPN. The add-on supports various VPN providers and you can use the service from within Kodi. However, there are some pre-requisites for using this method. You will have to download and install the OpenVPN GUI software. Then download the executable OpenVPN files from your VPN provider. Once you are through these processes, just follow these steps:
- Download Zomboided Repository from GitHub onto your system
- Launch Kodi
- Go to Add-ons
- Now click on the ‘Add-on browser’ icon (the package box icon) location at the top left corner
- Select Install from zip file
- Navigate to the location where you downloaded Zomboided Repository zip files
- You will see a notification in the top right corner once the add-on is added
- Now click on Install from repository
- Go to Zomboided Add-on Repository > Services > VPN Manager for OpenVPN
- Install the add-on and wait for Add-on enabled notification
- Now open the add-on (for first-time users, click on OK when a popup appears to configure a VPN)
- Go to Add-on Settings
- Under the VPN Configuration, select the VPN Provider you want to setup
- Enter the username and password
- Now go to VPN Connection tab and select First VPN connection (optionally used to auto connect during boot)
- Choose the server you want to connect
- You can add more VPN connections by entering the servers (maximum 10 default servers are allowed)
- Click OK and enjoy VPN connection
In order to watch popular broadcasting channels using Kodi including iTV, BBC, Fox, Channel 7, 4oD, HBO, ESPN, and hundreds of other international channels, (usually geo-restricted) you will need a Kodi VPN.
What is Kodi VPN?
XBMC VPN is an encryption tool that safeguards your privacy and identity. It is by far the safest option to bypass geo-restrictions barriers from streaming Kodi channels and secure your privacy from copyright trolls. Although you might be able to access many of the TV channels for free, all US and most UK-based streaming channels (especially live TV) like ESPN and BBC Sport will be blocked, displaying the following message:
So, just how do you get rid of these geo-restrictions?
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
73% Off |
One Year Free
72% Off |
Coupon Code '2YDeal2017'
72% Off |
Two Year Premium
67% Off |
Limited Time Discount
35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
A Kodi VPN will enable you to evade all geo-restrictions and enjoy unlimited geo-restricted services on Kodi. It will mask your IP address with a foreign IP of your choice (USA, UK, Canada etc.), where the particular channel is available.
You will be able to enjoy restriction-free access to your favorite channels from anywhere in the world. User reviews and Kodi fans suggest deploying the best VPN services for Kodi due to their streaming optimized and P2P supported servers, for high-speed video & music streaming.
PureVPN for Kodi
There are many VPN providers for Kodi, but not many can beat PureVPN in terms of its server spread. You can access any Kodi add-on using one of the servers offered by PureVPN. An added advantage of using this VPN is that it is available on VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on. Therefore, you can setup PureVPN directly onto Kodi and enjoy streaming any content.
However, when we tested PureVPN, we ran the software in the background on our desktop and then launched Kodi. The overall experience was good as there were no buffering delays, IP leakage, and we accessed blocked add-ons in an instant.
How to Install PureVPN with Web Viewer (Method-1)
Step 1: Open Kodi > Click on Add-ons placed on the side-bar > On the same bar scroll down and click on Download
Step 2: On the right side, you will see various options so click on Program Add-ons > Now find Web Viewer on the list and click on it > Install the add-on > Now wait for it until it installs
Step 3: An icon will appear on the top-right corner that says installation is complete. Once completed, go back to Kodi Main Menu > Then click on Add-ons tab > Program Add-ons > Web Viewer (on the right side)
Step 4: A screen will appear similar to a web browser where you need to insert the link www.purevpn.com/service.purevpn.monitor-1.2.5.zip/ as a web address on the top bar and hit Enter > Click Yes when it asks for your permission to download the Zip File
Step 5: A box will appear in front of your screen asking where you need to save the Zip File. Click on Home Folder > New Folder (present on the right side) > Type the Repository Name i.e. Kodi Repo > Click on Kodi Repo Folder you just created and click OK to save the Zip File in this folder.
Step 6: Go to Kodi Main menu again and click on Add-ons > Select a box icon also known as Package Installer icon > Click on Install from Zip File >Select Home Folder from the list > Click on Kodi Repo > and click service.purevpn.monitor.1.2.5.zip > Wait until the zip file is installed
Step 7: Go back again to Kodi Main Menu >Add-ons > Program add-ons tab > Now click on PureVPN Monitor OpenVPN add-on
Step 8: To setup PureVPN connection, click on Add-ons setting > Add username and address.
Step 9: To change your IP address, select various country servers > Click OK > Now your PureVPN is up and running.
How to Setup PureVPN Kodi Addon (Method-2)
PureVPN offers its exclusive add-on for Kodi. Just follow these steps to setup the VPN on Kodi:
- Launch Kodi and go to Settings > File Manager
- Now double click Add Source
- When a box appears, click on None > enter the URL: https://www.purevpn.com/Kodi-repo/ > click Done > Give a name to the addon (for instance Kodi-repo) > Click Done > Click Ok
- Go back to Kodi home screen
- Click on Add-ons > then Add-on Browser (the package box icon located at the top left corner) > Install from zip file > Kodi-repo > purevpn.monitor-1.2.5.zip
- Wait for the repository to install
- Now go to Install from repository > Kodi-repo > Program add-ons > PureVPN Monitor Open VPN
- Once the add-on is installed, go to Program Add-ons > PureVPN Monitor OpenVPN > Add-on Settings
- A box will appear, enter your PureVPN credentials (username and password)
- To change the server location, click on Display VPN status and select the server location of your choice and it will connect automatically
- Congratulations, you are not ready to use PureVPN Kodi add-on
Second on our list for VPN on Kodi is NordVPN. The provider also offers wide server range for you to unblock various add-ons on Kodi. We tested NordVPN while running Kodi and were pleased with its performance. Not only did the VPN provider unblocked streaming add-ons, but it also secured our identity.
One of the prevailing issues with Kodi is getting into trouble with copyright trolls. Since a majority of the streams fetched by Kodi work on BitTorrent protocol, you could get face DMCA notices, fines, or something even worse. This is where NordVPN’s Double VPN feature and P2P support comes into play.
A relatively new VPN provider in the industry, PrivateVPN offers attractive features. One of the standout points about PrivateVPN is its user-friendly apps and software. You can download the service on Windows, iOS, Android or Mac, and enjoy unlimited entertainment on Kodi.
Secondly, PrivateVPN also has a price advantage over other VPN providers. Being the cheapest Kodi VPN out there, you can gain instant access while preserving your privacy online. Therefore, if you are looking for an economical VPN for Kodi, give PrivateVPN a try.
ExpressVPN is one of leading VPN services in the industry. It boasts loads of features that will help you secure your privacy and security on any device. When you pair ExpressVPN with Kodi, the results are not short of outstanding. However, we did experience variability in server locations in the UK.
In addition, ExpressVPN offers native software and applications for all devices and is compatible with routers as well. That said, the steep pricing plans are the only kicker in this deal. ExpressVPN is amongst the most expensively priced VPN providers currently in the industry. Therefore, if prices are not a big deal, try ExpressVPN for unlocking content on Kodi.
Lastly, we have Ivacy VPN service for Kodi. The provider offers detailed guides and tutorials for Kodi in its knowledge base. Subscribers can follow the steps to configure the service through its native software, OpenELEC, or via other means. Our analysis puts Ivacy at the fifth position for best Kodi VPNs. This is precisely because of its high prices. However, it is one of the few VPN services that offer compatibility on Kodi and is worth a try.
Is Kodi Legal?
Many Kodi users have been asking this question and the simple answer is yes, Kodi is legal. That said, its not as straightforward as you might think. The problem lies in how Kodi brings you content for streaming and its open-source nature.
You are able to stream content on Kodi through numerous add-ons. However, not all add-ons are official. If you stick to the official Kodi add-ons, then there is no issue of legality. On the other hand, third-party add-ons offer free content from various sources, which are illegal in many countries. These include streams working on BitTorrent protocol and unsolicited websites.
Since Kodi is an open source software – which means you can customize the software by accessing its program codes – it is near to impossible for Kodi to shut down these third-party add-ons.
And, whenever Kodi shuts down a repository or an add-on, a new alternative or mirror rises up. Therefore, Kodi itself is completely legal, but the way third-party add-ons offer content for streaming raises a lot of questions about its legality.
How to Stream Geo-Blocked Add-ons using Kodi VPN
Ever encountered a problem where you can’t access add-ons on Kodi? This is because geo-restrictions kick in and prevent anyone outside of a designated location from viewing content on certain addons. However, with a Kodi VPN by your side, streaming geo-blocked add-ons is a walk in the park.
Bypassing geo-restrictions on Kodi using a VPN is just like unblocking content on your web browser. All you have to do is connect to a server where the addon is accessible and unblock all the content. Here’s what we did:
Here’s what we did:
- First, we accessed the BBC iPlayer addon to stream content but were shown the following error
- To overcome this error, we launched a VPN (for our demonstration, we used PureVPN)
- Enter the login credentials
- Now select a server in the UK and hit connect
- Make sure that the protocol you select is PPTP or IKEv2
- After successful connection, launch Kodi
- Now access the geo-blocked addon and enjoy streaming!
Android Boxes Supported by Kodi VPN
Android boxes, also known as Kodi boxes, are excellent for watching content on your television screen. They turn your normal LED TV into a smart TV, having the same functionalities as an Android-based smartphone. The best thing about Android boxes is that Kodi is readily available in almost all versions. You can either find Kodi through Google play store or download the APK file for the software.
As far as Kodi VPN supported Android boxes go, any VPN provider that offers an app for Android is compatible with an Android box. The most simple and quick way of setting up a Kodi VPN on Android box is by looking up the provider on Google Play Store and installing the app. On the contrary, you can also setup a VPN manually or through ES Explorer.
Why Do I Need VPN for Kodi?
To get the most out of Kodi and enjoy limitless streaming you will require a Kodi VPN add-on. It will provide every bit of entertainment that lacks in Kodi. Following are the key benefits of using Kodi VPN:
- Unblocks geo-restricted streaming services including Fox, Channel 7, BBC iPlayer, Hulu Plus, ESPN and hundreds of other global TV channels.
- Evade geo-restrictions placed on shows like HBO’s Game of Thrones, Netflix’s House of Cards, Arrow, NBC Parks & Recreation, Person of Interest etc.
- Evade NSA, GCHQ, and Mossad surveillance plus snooping from other state agencies.
- Gain access to P2P & Torrents without getting tracked & receiving copyright notices.
- Stop ISPs from conducting DPI (deep packet inspection) and track your browsing activities.
- Enable installation of blocked add-ons like Netflix XMBC on Kodi.
How to Add Channels on Kodi
Like various open source projects, Kodi doesn’t come with a pre-stored channel library. This means that subscribers need to install your Best addons on Kodi by their own. It’s a pretty simple procedure and we have listed it step by step for our dear readers, so they can freely add channels on the latest version of Kodi:
- Launch the Kodi player
- In the main menu, scroll to Videos from the left pane. You will be able to see “File”, “Playlists” and “Video add-ons”. Click on Video add-ons button
- Upon clicking Video add-ons a window with various add-ons will appear
- Scroll your cursor to the lower-left corner of the screen and tap on options icon
- From the options panel, click on Get more. You will be presented with various broadcasting channels to stream from. Select the channel you wish to add to your library. For instance, I have selected 1Channel
- In the add-on installation, dialogue box click on install
- The add-on will be downloaded and you will be able to see “tick mark” before channel’s name
- Click on the channel and activate it
- The channel content will now be ready for streaming; we can now proceed by selecting the desired program from 1Channel
- You are now ready to watch desired media on Kodi. Enjoy!Follow our guide and add your favorite TV channels, video streaming services, music stations, apps, and games
Apart from 1Channel, you can watch countless channels on Kodi by installing thousands of add-ons of including ESPN3, Fox News, ET Canada, BBC iPlayer WWW, MTV.de, MTV.it on demand, NFL Game Pass, Disney channel and much more. A VPN for KODI will let you circumvent any geo-restrictions instantly and allow you to watch your favorite channels hassle free.
How to Setup Kodi VPN on Firestick /Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV users can enjoy unlimited geo-restricted content on Kodi using a Kodi VPN compatible with Amazon Fire TV. You can follow our very easy guide to setup Kodi on Fire TV / Firestick. Once you have setup Kodi on Firestick / TV, it’s time to remove the restriction and access unlimited action, adventure, Live TV, documentaries and sports channels on Kodi.
To setup a Kodi VPN on Firestick, you need to follow the below-outlined steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Turn ON ADB Bugging and Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Now go to Home Screen by tapping on Home Button
- Go to Apps option located in the menu above > Scroll down to select Collections > Clik on New Releases and Updates
- Now look for the App called ‘Downloader’ > It’s a free app so download it. Do not pay anything for downloading this application
- Now click on Open once you download it > Click on Browser option located in the left-side menu
- Change the web address to ‘https://purevpn.com’ (or any other VPN provider web address)
- Now click on ‘Get PureVPN’
- Now go back to Browser option > Now click on the three-line menu located at the right side > It would open various options so click on Apps
- Click on Download > Direct APK Download (If it present you with this option)
- It will take a few minutes downloading PureVPN on your Firestick
- Now click on Install > Click Done
- Click Home Button > Apps and Games > PureVPN
- Login User ID and Password
- You’re ready to use KodiVPN on Firestick
Kodi VPN Setup on Windows
The simplest way to bypass geo-restrictions and securing your privacy while using Kodi is by setting up a VPN directly on the streaming device. Completing a Kodi VPN setup on Windows is a simple 3-step process. Start Kodi VPN setup by downloading a VPN on your system.
Once downloaded, install it and upon successful installation, activate the VPN app. Just follow these simple steps (we will be using PureVPN for our demonstration, but you can use any VPN provider):
- Launch the Pure VPN app. Click on the settings icon, Go to “Basic” tab and enter your login details including username and password as shown below:
- Go to the Dashboard listed on the left-hand menu. Click on Select Location, you will be able to select the server of your choice from the dropdown list.
- Choose your relevant server from the server drop-down list. Select the US server and click connect.
When you’re successfully connected to a best Kodi VPN server, it’s time to enjoy unlimited entertainment previously geo-restricted. Go to the Kodi console, install your favorite channel add-ons and keep streaming. You will be able to access all channel restriction free with premium HD Quality for selected channels and Super-fast speed.
How to Setup Kodi VPN through Routers
Setting up a VPN on routers provides a great advantage than configuring the service individually on each device. By doing so, your entire internet traffic goes through a secure VPN tunnel, helping you conceal your identity and bypass all forms of restrictions when using Kodi. In the below demonstration, we will be showing you how to setup Kodi VPN on Tomato routers using PPTP protocol.
- Launch Tomato router control panel and login
- Navigate to Basic > then Network from the left panel
- From the dropdown menu, select the Connection Type
- Now enter the login credentials of your VPN service
- Do ensure that Use DCHP and Use Default Gateway on Remote Network are checked
- Enter the server address you want to connect to PPTP Gateway
- Select Keep Alive for the Connection Mode from the drop-down menu
- Now check if the MTU is set to default and your LAN or Wireless Settings are also set to default
- In addition, don’t change Subnet Mask or Options field
- Scroll down to the page and hit Save
- Your VPN connection should now be up and running
How to Setup Kodi VPN on iPhone, iPad and more iOS Devices
Apple iPhone and iPad are hallmarks of superior features, elegant design, top-grade security and over-the-top looks. But, when it comes to Kodi on iPhone and iPad, one can’t simply access leading channels and streaming services on these devices due to geo-restrictions. Thus, we have listed a simple setup process below that will guide you to install best Kodi VPN on iPhone and iPad.
After KodiVPN installation on an iOS device, you will achieve one-touch access to world of restriction-free on-demand entertainment from anywhere in the world.
Here’s how to setup Kodi VPN on iPhone, iPad and other iOS devices:
- On your iPhone, Go to App Store
- Next, search for VPN Provider
- Download and install VPN on your iPhone, iPad or any other iOS device
- Upon successful installation, launch VPN, go to servers’ list and connect to US server
- Finally, launch Kodi on iPhone and enjoy streaming unlimited channels and add-ons that were previously unavailable to you
VPN for Kodi Android
Best Kodi VPN Android offers premium online protection as you bypass restrictions and stream video on Kodi from android devices. While ISPs are actively monitoring user browsing activities, Kodi VPN makes you anonymous & highly secure over the internet using cutting-edge tunneling & encryption.
A wide range of servers adds even more versatility to your Kodi VPN service. It allows users to unblock geo-restricted on-demand entertainment services, internet radio, secures online banking and encrypts chats & emails plus includes numerous other advantages. We recommend looking into PureVPN and Total VPN to our readers, rating the former for its server network and the later for its turbo speed streaming servers.
VPN OpenELEC Kodi
OpenELEC is a fork of the original streaming service Kodi. It boasts addons through which you can setup a VPN directly onto Kodi. However, this option has lost its charm as only one VPN service is supported by OpenELEC. With the exception of Private Internet Access (PIA), it once used to support a variety of VPN providers such as PureVPN, IPVanish, and VyprVPN. Therefore, if you are going to use OpenELEC on Kodi, make sure you an active account for PIA.
OpenELEC Errors on Kodi
As of late, OpenELEC has started to display various errors to Kodi users. Here are some OpenELEC errors and their fixes:
- Check the Log for More Information: currently, only PIA VPN is compatible with OpenELEC, but this error appears when you try to setup PIA. To fix this problem, we would recommend that you follow the steps for VPN Manager for OpenVPN and use the desired VPN through this add-on.
- Size Check Failed Error: this issue is present in Jarvis v16 version of Kodi and occurs when you try to update the ION system. One way overcoming this issue is by resizing the partitions through Tuxboot, as it will lay out the new partitions as SDA1 and SDA2.
- Error Script Failed VPN for OpenELEC: if you are using a Raspberry Pi 2, you will encounter this issue frequently. The problem lies with the small CPU or limited processing power of Pi2. One way of resolving this issue is by updating OpenELEC version and use a Micro SD card for additional storage. If that doesn’t help, then we would recommend upgrading to Pi 3.
Top 3 Best Free VPN for Kodi
If we talk about the free VPN services for Kodi, then there’re some providers who offer decent speed and a range of servers. However, there’re some considerations while choosing a free VPN for Kodi that includes tunneling protocols, number of servers, customer support channels and logging policy. With that said, subscribers should remember that free VPN services under any condition shouldn’t be compared with a full-featured VPN, in terms of speed, stability, reliability & trustworthiness.
We suggest users try the free trial version of above specified best Kodi VPN for a top-notch streaming experience and robust privacy protection. But in case you want an entirely free VPN service, then here’re the top 3 best free VPN for Kodi:
Datho VPN Kodi Add-on
Datho VPN offers a dedicated add-on for Kodi. It unblocks a vast selection of top-quality legal content on Kodi apps. Various popular add-ons are geo-restricted in a majority of regions including BBC, iPlayer, iTV, AMC, A&E, ESPN, and many other US broadcasting channels. Moreover, Datho VPN on Kodi gives you access to the exclusive library of streaming services like Netflix US library, HULU, FOX, ESPN and many others in your region.
Datho VPN on Kodi also provides restriction-free access to live events including NFL Game Pass, MLB.TV, NBA International League Pass and NHL GameCenter from geo-restricted regions. You can enjoy the unlimited action from the playoffs, season fixtures and live and on-demand games that were previously unavailable for you.
How to Setup Datho VPN on Kodi
Step 1: Download DathoVPN Repository from HERE and save it on your system
Step 2: Now open Kodi > Select Add-ons option > Go to Package Installer icon (a box-shaped icon on top-left corner)
Step 3: Click on Install from Zip File > Upload or Navigate the Zip File that you downloaded in Step 1 and wait for it to install
Step 4: Now select Install from Repository option > Find Datho Add-on Repository from the list and click on it > Then select Program Add-ons > DathoVPN > Click Install
Step 5: It will take few minutes to install the add-on. Once installation is completed go back to Kodi Home Screen > Add-ons > Program Add-ons > DathoVPN
Step 6: Enter Username and Password > Type Server Address > Change the operating system from OpenElec to Windows > Click OK
Kodi is the one-stop entertainment solution for unlimited on-demand streaming. The user-friendly interface adds, even more, appeal to it. However, due to certain geo-restrictions placed on various streaming channels, users are unable to watch their favorite video & music with Kodi. Kodi VPN providers offer premium online privacy & data security to users by evading geo-restrictions instantly.