Free VPNs for Kodi can help you bypass all geo-restrictions on Kodi and access but finding the best free VPN for Kodi can be difficult. Because most of them would keep your logs while others would sell your data. Though there are many VPNs that cost no money, finding the right one takes a lot of research.
So, to make it easier for you, We tested over 45+ free VPNs and shortlisted 6 of the best free VPN for Kodi that do not keep track of your streaming history, offer decent speeds, and strong encryption.
Although free VPNs are not a bad option for your Kodi, they are still nowhere near what a premium VPN can offer you on Kodi. As Kodi is primarily for streaming and considering that free VPNs offer limited servers and bandwidth, you can understand how it will be a mistake to not opt for a premium VPN provider for your Kodi.
A premium VPN provider just like ExpressVPN can ensure unlimited bandwidth and servers for your streaming needs on Kodi as it offers a network of over 3,000 servers worldwide. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee with 3-months free subscription on its annual plan.
Before we get into our Free VPNs for Kodi, it is worth knowing that there are premium VPN providers out there like ExpressVPN that offers better security, privacy, and performance than a free VPN can ever offer.
They also offer an unrestricted bandwidth for streaming, torrenting, and gaming purposes. They back their services up with the ultimate security features like AES-256 encryption and a no-log policy.
6 Best Free VPNs for Kodi in August 2021 [Detailed Analysis]
We tested 45+ VPNs on various criteria like bandwidth, server locations offered, multi-logins, speed and more to bring you top 6 providers for Kodi in 2021. So, without further ado, let’s do a detailed analysis of the 6 best free VPN for Kodi:
1. The Best Free VPN for Kodi – Windscribe
Windscribe is the best free VPN for Kodi offering speed, and bandwidth and performance. It offers 10 server locations for free. It offers a bandwidth limit of 10 GB per month. As a result, you can run out of bandwidth pretty quickly if you do a lot of Kodi streaming and use VPN for Exodus Kodi.
It’s servers are located in the US, Canada, UK, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway and Romania. There are plenty more on it’s premium version.
On it’s US server, we were able to stream “Stargirl” in good quality without having to face extensive lags. We only had to wait at the beginning of the stream as it took some time to load, however during the stream we didn’t experience any buffering.
For security, Windscribe uses the strongest encryption i.e. AES-cipher with SHA512. It is available for all major OS including Chrome and Firefox extensions.
It does not log data, nor your IP address, VPN sessions, or sites you visited making it a secure choice for Kodi. It also offers a kill switch feature which protects you in the event of connectivity issues.
Although there’s no dedicated Kodi add-on, you use Windscribe in the background while enjoying geo-restricted content streams on Kodi easily. This VPN also works on Fire Stick, making it a good free Kodi VPN on Fire Stick.
You can find more about this provider in our Windscribe VPN review.
2. Secure Free VPN for Kodi – ProtonVPN
ProtonVPN is the most secure free Kodi VPN. It is a rare breed among free VPNs that offers unlimited bandwidth without any additional costs, and that is truly remarkable. You can use ProtonVPN to unblock some unofficial streaming add-ons without worrying about your bandwidth running out on you.
However, to use this VPN, you’ll have to get its app for Windows or Android and leave it connected in the background while you use Kodi, as there is no native ProtonVPN add-on for Kodi. But the apps are pretty easy to use.
The service offers only 3 servers in the free version, the US, Japan, and the Netherlands. We were able to stream “The Little Things” on Kodi without having to pause for buffering or loading.
It is fairly good in terms of privacy and security as it uses AES-256 bit encryption, offers IP leak protection along with a good no-logging policy. ProtonVPN also offers an always-on feature in its security features arsenal which works as a kill switch to make sure you’re never vulnerable while streaming.
This Kodi free VPN is a good choice for users that want greater privacy on the web and remain secure from online threats that are capable of compromising user privacy.
You can learn more about this service in our ProtonVPN review.
3. Compact free VPN for Kodi – Hide.Me
Hide.Me is the most compact free VPN for Kodi and a great VPN for Kodi 17 Krypton as well all other versions of Kodi. You can run this free VPN in the background while enjoying streams on your favorite Kodi add-ons and streaming services.
Unfortunately, there’s only 2GB per month bandwidth limit that can run out pretty quickly if you’re streaming shows on Kodi. Nonetheless,
You can choose from 5 different server locations including Singapore, Canada, Netherlands, US East, and US West. This VPN service can easily unblock streaming services like Netflix, HBO, YouTube and more.
With Hide.Me I streamed “Chapter 5: The Gunslinger” on Kodi and there were no connectivity issues or extensive buffering.
You can only connect one device on a single free Hide.me account. Hide.me also tends to offer effective 24/7 customer chat support to users and P2P optimized servers for torrenting.
To find out more, check out this Hide.Me review.
4. Popular Free VPN for Kodi – TunnelBear
TunnelBear is the most popular free VPN for Kodi and another Canadian VPN service that comes with a free plan. It offers more than 26 different server locations to choose from, which is higher than what most free VPNs generally offer.
But that’s pretty much the only benefit of this VPN since it has a very restrictive bandwidth limit of 500 MB per month. But, you can always avail 1GB of data by simple tweeting about this VPN.
Needless to say, you can run out of data pretty quickly if you’re trying to binge-watch on Kodi with TunnelBear. On TunnelBear’s US servers, we were able to enjoy “The Kings of Staten Island” in SD quality. There was no extensive buffering, but the video quality could have been better.
TunnelBear follows a no-log policy and only logs some amount of user data like the operating system of your device, bandwidth usage, and timestamps. All this data is non-identifiable so you don’t have to worry about your privacy. It also offers industry-standard AES-256 bit encryption to make it super secure.
You can connect 5 devices at the same time on a single free account. While this VPN can unblock Kodi add-ons, it doesn’t do the same for Netflix. This VPN offers no free trials or money-back guarantees to users.
For more information, see this TunnelBear review.
5. Great free VPN for American shows on Kodi – Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield is a great free VPN for Kodi for streaming American shows like Marvel’s Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D, Criminal Minds and more. It only offers 1 server location in the US to its free users, but the speeds are not slow at all, meaning, you can enjoy bufferless streaming of American platforms with high quality.
However, it does come with a small data limit of only 500 MB per day which is very little. You can only stream for around an hour on Kodi before running out of your daily limit.
As discussed above, it only offers one server location in the US, so you cannot access other international streaming platforms. With an American IP address, you are limited to American content only. I was able to stream “The Gentlemen” and the video quality was not bad at all.
It also offers some good security features like a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and no-logs. While it’s compatible with multiple devices, you can enjoy this free VPN for Kodi on your Android TV, Windows, Mac, iOS, and more. It allows 1 connection per account.
Unfortunately, Hotspot Shield’s free version is ad-supported. You might see frequent ads while using it, which can be a little frustrating. But, if you want you can subscribe to its premium version that costs around $7.99/month and has over 3,200 servers across different locations.
For more information, you can read our Hotspot Shield review.
6. Fast Free VPN for Kodi – Speedify
Speedify is a fast free VPN for Kodi. It is a great option for beginners as it has an easy-to-use app with no technical configuration or setup.
It also offers channel bonding so you can enjoy faster connection speeds for bufferless streaming on Kodi. Some users have faced slower connection speeds with channel bonding so you can test speeds of both regular servers and channel bonding to see which one is faster.
It also offers a streaming feature that can unblock Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more. These are popular streaming sites that most free VPNs cannot unblock.
If we talk about bandwidth, Speedify offers only 2GB data per month, so you can only stream about 90 – 130 minutes on Kodi depending upon your video quality. I was able to stream “The Mandalorian” in SD quality and still had a few MBs of data left.
It uses 128 GCM encryption which is below industry standard but it still keeps your data secure. It doesn’t log IP addresses, personal information, or online history, but it does collect information like timestamps, length of the connection, and contact details.
Criteria for choosing the best free VPN for Kodi
Here are some important criteria to keep in mind when choosing the best free VPN for Kodi:
- Robust encryption: Make sure to choose a free VPN for Kodi with strong encryption because weak encryption will lead to IP address and DNS leaks, leaving you vulnerable to hackers, snooping ISPs, and government agencies. It will also leak your real location, leading to legal consequences in case you torrent copyrighted content. Therefore, make sure the VPN uses AES 256-bit encryption, has IP/DNS leak protection, with strong protocols like OpenVPN.
- Large server network: In order to access geo-restricted sites, you will need a free VPN with a large server network so you can watch any content you want. Therefore, pick a free VPN that is offering servers in various locations worldwide.
- Look for extra features like Adblocker: When selecting a VPN for Kodi, make sure it offers extra security features like ad and malware blockers. Because most third-party add-ons steal user data which often leads to identity theft. If a free VPN doesn’t offer an ad/malware blocker then make sure it is compatible with a premium service that you can use with it.
- Bandwidth and data limitations: All free VPNs limit data usage, server options, security, simultaneous connections, and speed. Therefore, make sure to choose a free VPN with an ample amount of data and good speeds so you can enjoy streaming on Kodi without worrying about running out of data.
The Best Free VPN for Kodi Not Working? Try these fixes
If free VPN is not working with your Kodi, you can try these quick fixes:
- Try rebooting your router, and your VPN should be working fine now.
- Reboot your system, shut down, and start again.
- Try connecting to a different VPN server in a different region.
- Try switching protocols i.e. is you are using an OpenVPN switch between TCP and UDP. Or you can switch to other protocols like IPSec or IKEv2.
- Disable your firewall because some VPNs are blocked by firewalls.
- Reinstall the free VPN for Kodi’s app.
- If nothing works, you can contact customer support or try a different VPN provider.
Avoid These Free VPNs on Kodi for Safety
Not all free VPNs out there are safe for Kodi. Therefore, to stay safe while streaming on Kodi, avoid these free VPNs:
- Hola VPN – Offers no security, privacy, and encryption. It has been caught selling user information and user bandwidth to third parties.
- SaferVPN – Overall a decent VPN service, but it is blocked by Real-Debrid for Kodi.
- Betternet – Notorious for installing trackers and malware on users’ devices and it also sells user data to third parties.
- TouchVPN – Logs user’s online history, personal information, device information, and IP address. Leaves you exposed to cybercriminals, ISPs, and government surveillance.
5 Reasons why we don’t recommend a free VPN for Kodi
If you want to use a free VPs for Kodi, you have to be extremely careful because there are inherent dangers involved with most free services. The providers mentioned above are all well-reputed providers that you can safely use. But in general, there are a few common problems that free VPNs on Kodi usually have:
- Shady logging practices: Many free VPN services have previously found to be involved in selling user data. Since these free providers need to fund their operations in some way, they resort to the practice of selling user information to advertisement agencies and other parties for a profit. This is why you should be very careful when choosing a free service.
- Privacy Issues: Most free VPNs tend to compromise user’s privacy leaving them vulnerable to cybercrime, and government surveillance. Free VPNs do claim to have powerful security encryption and all, but in reality that is not the case. Not having high encryption will lead to IP and DNS leaks, compromising your online privacy and security.
- Malware risks: As mentioned above, free VPNs don’t offer strong encryption, leaving users open to malware and phishing attacks. But, that’s not it! Free VPNs also come with a lot of malware and tracking embedded in their code which leads to a lot of issues for the user.
- Slow speed: For Kodi to stream in High Definition quality, you better have a premium VPN. A free one usually has a very small bandwidth allowance and will only lower your internet speed due to server load, thus leading to extensive buffering issues on Kodi.
- Fewer servers: Since free VPNs lack the resources to support a large network, they usually have a handful of few server locations to offers. This naturally leads to server overcrowding as a large number of users occupy the same servers.
Why do you Need a Kodi VPN?
Kodi is an open-source streaming platform that has an outstanding amount of add-ons – some official and some unofficial. However, many of these add-ons are only available within certain regions and Geo-blocked elsewhere.
The easiest way to counter this problem is by using a free Kodi VPN to change your server location and access the restricted add-ons. Unfortunately, getting a VPN for Kodi free of cost has its disadvantages in the form of bandwidth and server limitations. As such, your success with a free service will be limited at best.
This is why a premium option like ExpressVPN can be quite valuable, especially with the 30-day money-back guarantee that you can get back if you cancel the subscription within this time frame.
Free VPN for Kodi Reddit Reviews
Reddit is a very useful platform to see what users are actually saying about a product or service. Most users on Reddit don’t recommend free VPNs for Kodi as they come with bandwidth limitations. Free VPNs also don’t use strong encryption methods so you are not safe accessing geo-restricted and censored content on Kodi. It might lead to legal consequences or your ISP throttling your bandwidth.
Free VPN for Kodi – FAQs
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) basically masks your identity and keeps you completely anonymous over the internet when you use services like Kodi or Netflix. A VPN for Kodi will change your IP address and let you access all geo-restricted Kodi add-ons so you can enjoy the content library easily.
You can set up a free VPN on Kodi using any of the three methods. You can either install the VPN on your router and enjoy its services on all devices, you can set up your free VPN for Kodi on PC or Smart TV using its app, or just set up the VPN Manager for OpenVPN or the Kodi VPN Manager.
Windscribe, without a doubt is the best free VPN for Kodi. It can unblock all geo-restricted services including Kodi add-ons and let you stream movies without any lags or buffering. It is also a safe VPN as it does not log or sell user data to third parties.
Yes, a free VPN would not only unblock Kodi but will also be able to unblock other geo-restricted services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBc iPlayer, etc. without any hassle. However, not all free VPNs work with Netflix, so make sure to check out a premium VPN instead like ExpressVPN.
Kodi is a free media streaming player, but you have to deal with the problem of geo-restrictions and the threat of privacy breaches. For that, you need a best VPN for Kodi. However, with free VPNs you have deal with limitations like limited servers, slow speed, very less bandwidth and more.
To get unbeatable performance, speed and protection, we recommend using ExpressVPN for Kodi. It offers 3000+ servers across 94 countries, so you can unblock any Kodi addon you want. It also offers a risk-free 30 day moneyback guarantee, so make sure to try it and if you are not satisfied you can request a full refund within 30 days.