Free VPNs for Kodi can help you bypass all geo-restrictions on Kodi and access but finding a free VPN for Kodi can be difficult. Because most of them would keep your logs while others would sell your data. Though there are many VPNs that cost no money, finding the right one takes a lot of research, sweat, and even tears.
So, to make it easier for you, I tested over 45+ free VPNs and shortlisted 7 of the best free VPN for Kodi that do not keep track of your streaming history, offer decent speeds, and strong encryption.
Although free VPNs are not a bad option for your Kodi, they are still nowhere near what a premium VPN can offer you on Kodi. As Kodi is primarily for streaming and considering that free VPNs offer limited servers and bandwidth, you can understand how it will be a mistake to not opt for a premium VPN provider for your Kodi.
A premium VPN provider just like ExpressVPN can ensure unlimited bandwidth and servers for your streaming needs on Kodi as it controls a network of over 3,000 servers worldwide. It also comes along with a 30-day money-back guarantee with 3-months free subscription on its annual plan.
Why Free VPNs are inadequate for Kodi?
While Kodi is primarily used for accessing different types of streaming content from all over the world, a free VPN would severely fail to achieve that purpose. We have listed down few reasons as to why a free VPN is a bad idea for Kodi:
- Free VPNs are known to offer limited bandwidth on their accounts. While streaming, any restriction on bandwidth can severely harm your streaming experience.
- Free VPN providers are known to sell your personal data and internet activities to different third-party entities.
- Most of the Free VPN providers offer only a handful of server locations. These locations are insufficient to fulfill your streaming requirements.
- With just a few servers and large numbers of users connecting to them, it is highly likely that you will face slow speed issues on regular basis.
Before we get into our Free VPNs for Kodi, it is worth knowing that there are premium VPN providers out there that offer better security, privacy, and performance than a free VPN can ever offer.
Free VPNs can never be better than premium VPNs. Premium VPNs offer a tremendous server network with data centers in many major countries. They also offer an unrestricted bandwidth for streaming, torrenting, and gaming purposes. They back their services up with the ultimate security features like AES-256 encryption and a no-log policy.
Now, let’s look at some top VPNs for Kodi and what they offer:
Top 6 Free VPNs for Kodi 2021
The VPNs mentioned in the list below are all free services, but they have some limitations that make them unsuitable in the long run. If you’re looking for VPN services that work with Kodi without any caveats, you’d be much better of with a paid Kodi VPN.
Top Free VPNs for streaming Kodi in 2021:
- ProtonVPN – Unlimited bandwidth for Kodi streaming.
- Windscribe – Unlimited simultaneous connections to watch your favorite shows on Kodi (XMBC)
- Hide.me – Compact free VPN with unblocking capabilities for Kodi, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video.
- TunnelBear – Popular free choice for Kodi with 5 simultaneous connections with 500MB/mo data.
- Hotspot Shield – Great free VPN for watching American shows on Kodi with 500MB/ day free data.
- Speedify – Feature-rich free VPN for streaming Kodi that doesn’t require any sign-in with a 2GB/mo data limit.
But without further ado, let’s see the top-rated VPNs that are free for Kodi in 2021:
1. Windscribe – Top Free VPN for Kodi
Windscribe is one best free Kodi VPN. It offers 10 server locations for free. Although there’s no dedicated Kodi add-on, you use Windscribe in the background while enjoying geo-restricted content streams on Kodi.
The downside of this VPN is that it offers a bandwidth limit of 10 GB per month. As a result, you can run out of bandwidth pretty quickly if you do a lot of Kodi streaming and use VPN for Exodus Kodi. I was able to stream Stargirl in good quality without having to face extensive lags. I only had to wait at the beginning of the stream as it took some time to load, during the stream i didn’t experience any buffering.
Nonetheless, it still offers more bandwidth compared to the likes of TunnelBear and Hotspot Shield. For security, it uses the strongest encryption i.e. AES-cipher with SHA512. It is available for all major OS including Chrome and Firefox extensions.
It does not log data, nor your IP address, VPN sessions, or sites you visited. In Kodi, no one will ever know which movie or TV Show you stream. It also offers a kill switch feature by the name of a firewall which protects you in the event of connectivity issues.
This VPN also works on Fire Stick, so it is convenient to say that it is a fairly good free VPN for Kodi on Fire Stick. Windscribe is also the best free VPN for UK.
You can find more information about this provider in our Windscribe VPN review.
2. ProtonVPN – Secure free Option for Kodi
ProtonVPN is another powerful free VPN for Kodi. It is a rare breed among free VPNs and offers unlimited bandwidth without any additional costs, and that is truly remarkable. You can use ProtonVPN to unblock some unofficial streaming add-ons without worrying about your bandwidth running out on you.
However, to use this VPN, you’ll have to get the app for Windows or Android and leave it connected in the background while you use Kodi, as there is no native ProtonVPN add-on for Kodi. But the apps are pretty easy to use. I was able to stream The Little Things on Kodi without having to pause for buffering.
The service offers only 3 servers in the free version, the US, Japan, and the Netherlands. It is fairly good in terms of privacy and security as well and uses AES-256 bit encryption along with a good no-logging policy. ProtonVPN also offers an always-on feature in its security features arsenal which works as a kill switch to make sure you’re never vulnerable while streaming. It is also one of the best totally free VPN for iPhones.
You can learn more about this service in our ProtonVPN review.
3. Hide.Me – Compact Free Kodi VPN
Hide.Me is the best free VPN for Kodi 17 Krypton as well all other versions of Kodi. You can run this free VPN in the background while enjoying streams on your favorite Kodi add-ons and streaming services. Unfortunately, there’s a 2GB per month bandwidth limit that can run out pretty quickly if you’re streaming shows on Kodi.
Nonetheless, this Kodi free VPN is a good choice for users that want greater privacy on the web and remain secure from online threats that are capable of compromising user privacy. You can choose from 5 different server locations including Singapore, Canada, Netherlands, US East, and US West. This VPN service can easily unblock other streaming services like Netflix, HBO, YouTube etc. along with the add-ons of Kodi. Install this free VPN for Kodi app on your device to enjoy streaming.
It also tends to offer effective 24/7 customer chat support to users and P2P optimized servers for torrenting.
With Hide.Me I streamed Chapter 5: The Gunslinger on Kodi and there were no connectivity issues or extensive buffering.
To find out more, check out this Hide.Me review.
4. TunnelBear – Popular Free Choice for Kodi
TunnelBear is another Canadian VPN service that comes with a free plan. It offers more than 26 different server locations to choose from, which is higher than what free VPNs generally offer. It also offers industry-standard AES-256 bit encryption to make it super secure.
But that’s pretty much the only benefit of this VPN since it has a very restrictive bandwidth limit of 500 MB per month. But, you can always avail 1GB of data by simple tweeting about this VPN. Needless to say, you can run out of data pretty quickly if you’re trying to binge-watch on Kodi with TunnelBear. Nonetheless, this Kodi free VPN does have a decent logging policy in place and encryption to protect the privacy of users. On TunnelBear’s US servers, I was able to enjoy The Kings of Staten Island in SD quality. There was no extensive buffering, but the video quality could have been better.
TunnelBear follows a no-log policy but it does log some amount of user data like the operating system of your device, bandwidth usage, and timestamps. All this data is non-identifiable so you don’t have to worry about your privacy. It might be worrisome for privacy-conscious users that want maximum anonymity. While this VPN can unblock Kodi add-ons, it doesn’t do the same for Netflix. This VPN offers no free trials or money-back guarantees to users.
For more information, see this TunnelBear review.
5. Hotspot Shield – Great choice for streaming American shows
Hotspot Shield is another free VPN for Kodi that you can use to stream content in high quality. It only offers 1 server location in the US to its free users, but the speed was not slow at all, meaning, you can enjoy bufferless streaming with high quality. However, it does come with a small data limit of only 500 MB per day which is very little. You can only stream for around an hour on Kodi before running out of your daily limit.
As discussed above, it only offers one server location in the US, so you cannot access other international streaming platforms. With an American IP address, you are limited to American content only. Unfortunately, this VPN’s free version is ad-supported. You might see frequent ads while using it for free, which can be a little frustrating. I was able to stream The Gentlemen and the video quality was not bad at all.
It also offers some good security features like a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and no-logs. While it’s compatible with multiple devices, you can enjoy this free VPN for Kodi on your Android TV or any other device.
But, if you want you can subscribe to its premium version that costs around $7.99/month and has over 3,200 servers across different locations. For more information, you can read our Hotspot Shield review.
6. Speedify – No Sign-in required
Speedify is another free VPN service that supports Kodi. It is a great option for beginners as it has an easy-to-use app with no technical configuration or setup. It uses 128 GCM encryption which is below industry standard but it still keeps your data secure. It doesn’t log IP addresses, personal information, or online history, but it does collect information like timestamps, length of the connection, and contact details.
It does, however, offer a streaming feature that can unblock Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more. These are popular streaming sites that most free VPNs cannot unblock. It also offers channel bonding so you can enjoy faster connection speeds for bufferless streaming on Kodi. Some users have also faced slower connection speeds with channel binding so you can test speeds of both regular servers and channel bonding to see which one is faster.
It does, however, offer only 2GB data per month, so you can only stream about 90 – 130 minutes on Kodi depending upon your video quality. I was able to stream The Mandalorian in SD quality and still had a lot of data left. It also offers a premium plan with unlimited data at a cost of $2.99/mo.
To know more about this Kodi VPN, read our in-depth Speedify review.
Criteria for choosing free VPN for Kodi
- Choose VPN with high-end encryption: Make sure to choose a free VPN for Kodi with strong encryption because weak encryption will lead to IP address and DNS leaks, leaving you vulnerable to hackers, snooping ISPs, and government agencies. It will also leak your real location, leading to legal consequences in case you torrent copyrighted content. Therefore, make sure the VPN uses AES 256-bit encryption, has IP/DNS leak protection, with strong protocols like OpenVPN.
- Large server network: In order to access geo-restricted sites, you will need a free VPN with a large server network so you can watch any content you want. Therefore, pick a free VPN that is offering servers in various locations worldwide.
- Look for extra features like Adblocker: When selecting a VPN for Kodi, make sure it offers extra security features like ad and malware blockers. Because most third-party add-ons steal user data which often leads to identity theft. If a free VPN doesn’t offer an ad/malware blocker then make sure it is compatible with a premium service that you can use with it.
- Bandwidth and data limitations: All free VPNs limit data usage, server options, security, simultaneous connections, and speed. Therefore, make sure to choose a free VPN with an ample amount of data usage and good speeds so you can enjoy streaming on Kodi.
Free VPN for Kodi Not Working? Try these fixes
If free VPN is not working with your Kodi, you can try these quick fixes:
- Try rebooting your router, and your VPN should be working fine now.
- Reboot your system, shut down, and start again.
- Try connecting to a different VPN server in a different region.
- Try switching protocols i.e. is you are using an OpenVPN switch between TCP and UDP. Or you can switch to other protocols like IPSec or IKEv2.
- Disable your firewall because some VPNs are blocked by firewalls.
- Reinstall the free VPN for Kodi’s app.
- If nothing works, you can contact customer support or try a different VPN provider.
Avoid These VPNs on Kodi for Safety
Not all free VPNs out there are safe for Kodi. Therefore, to stay safe while streaming on Kodi, avoid these free VPNs:
- Hola VPN – Offers no security, privacy, and encryption. It has been caught selling user information and user bandwidth to third parties.
- SaferVPN – Overall a decent VPN service, but it is blocked by Real-Debrid for Kodi.
- Betternet – Notorious for installing trackers and malware on users’ devices and it also sells user data to third parties.
- TouchVPN – Logs user’s online history, personal information, device information, and IP address. Leaves you exposed to cybercriminals, ISPs, and government surveillance.
Why do we not Recommend a Free VPN on Kodi
If you want to use totally free VPNs for Kodi, you have to be extremely careful because there are inherent dangers involved with most of these free services. The providers mentioned above are all well-reputed providers that you can safely use. But in general, there are a few common problems that free VPNs on Kodi usually have:
- Shady logging practices: Many free VPN services have previously found to be involved in selling user data. Since these free providers need to fund their operations in some way, they resort to the practice of selling user information to advertisement agencies and other parties for a profit. This is why you should be very careful when choosing a free service.
- Privacy Issues: Most free VPNs tend to compromise user’s privacy leaving them vulnerable to cybercrime, and government surveillance. Free VPNs do claim to have powerful security encryption and all, but in reality that is not the case. Not having high encryption will lead to IP and DNS leaks, compromising your online privacy and security.
- Malware risks: As mentioned above, free VPNs dont offer strong encryption, leaving users open to malware and phishing attacks. But, that’s not it! Free VPNs also come with a lot of malware and tracking embedded in their code which leads to a lot of issues for the user.
- Slow speed: For Kodi to stream in High Definition quality, you better have a premium VPN. A free one usually has a very small bandwidth allowance and will only lower your internet speed due to server load, thus creating Kodi buffering issues.
- Few servers: Since free VPNs lack the resources to support and a large network, they usually have a handful of few server locations to offers. This naturally leads to server overcrowding as a large number of users occupy the same servers.
Why you Need a VPN for Kodi
Kodi is an open-source streaming platform that has an outstanding amount of add-ons – some official and some unofficial. However, many of these add-ons are only available within certain regions and Geo-blocked elsewhere.
The easiest way to counter this problem is by using a free Kodi VPN to change your server location and access the restricted add-ons. Unfortunately, getting a VPN for Kodi free of cost has its disadvantages in the form of bandwidth and server limitations. As such, your success with a free service will be limited at best.
This is why a premium option like ExpressVPN can be quite valuable, especially with the 30-day money-back guarantee that you can get back if you cancel the subscription within this time frame.
Free VPN for Kodi Reddit
Reddit is a very useful platform to see what users are actually saying about a product or service. Most users on Reddit dont recommend free VPNs for Kodi as they come with bandwidth limitations. Free VPNs also dont use strong encryption methods so you are not safe accessing geo-restricted and censored content on Kodi. It might lead to legal consequences or your ISP throttling your bandwidth.
🤗 What really is a VPN for Kodi?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) basically masks your identity and keeps you completely anonymous over the internet when you use services like Kodi or Netflix. A VPN for Kodi will change your IP address and let you access all geo-restricted Kodi add-ons so you can enjoy the content library easily.
😄 How can I set up a VPN on Kodi?
You can set up a VPN on Kodi using any of the three methods. You can either install the VPN on your router and enjoy its services on all devices, you can set up your free VPN for Kodi on PC or Smart TV using its app, or just set up the VPN Manager for OpenVPN or the Kodi VPN Manager.
🤩 What VPN do we call the best VPN for Kodi?
ExpressVPN, without a doubt. This VPN offers the best security features, highest speed, and over 3000+ servers in the world. It can also unblock all geo-restricted services including Kodi add-ons and let you stream movies without any lags.
🤗 Will a VPN for Kodi unblock other streaming services?
Yes, a premium VPN would not only unblock Kodi but will also be able to unblock other geo-restricted services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBc iPlayer, etc. without any hassle.
Kodi is a free media streaming player, but you have to deal with the problem of geo-restrictions and threat of privacy breaches.
For that, you need a VPN for PC free, Android, Firestick, and other major platforms. The best free VPN for Kodi is ExpressVPN, which can be used virtually free for a 30-day period.
So, if you’re a fan of free streaming apps like Kodi and want to save on some cash, you can try the free Kodi VPNs mentioned above to instantly improve online privacy and bypass Geo-restrictions.