Kodi, or previously XBMC is a digital media player that streams Movies, TV Shows, Live Sports, IPTV Channels, and so much more. In this guide, we provide detailed steps on how to update Kodi on different platforms including Mac, Android (Box), Windows, FireStick, Mxq, Mxq Pro, Raspberry Pi, GBox, and Apple TV 2.
Kodi Update on FireStick (Step by Step Method)
There are three easy ways on how you can update Kodi on FireStick to the latest version. In-fact you can easily install Kodi on Firestick for streaming. Here are the detailed steps for updating Kodi 17.6 on FireStick:
Updating to Kodi 17.6 from Within Kodi Itself
(or by Using Android Kodi Installer)
- Launch FireStick Main Menu > Then click on Settings
- Select Applications > Tap on Manage Installed Applications > Select and Open Kodi
- Once you have launched Kodi, click on Add-ons menu > Then select Package Installer (Box-shaped) icon located at the top
- Now you have to select Install from Repository > Scroll down to select Kodi Add-on Repository
- Go to Program Add-ons > Then scroll down to find Kodi Android Installer and click on it > Press Install
- A notification will pop-up on the top-right corner which will notify you if your add-on is installed
- Go back to Kodi Home Screen > Select Add-ons > Then Program Add-ons > Click on Android Installer
- Once you open Android Installer, it will present you with various options i.e. Nightly, Releases, Snapshots, and Test-Builds. Click on Releases
- Now select Arm Kodi Release > Then choose Kodi-17.6-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk
- The installation for Kodi 17.6 will start automatically
- Once the download completes, a dialogue box will appear which will ask your permission if you want to install Kodi update. So click on Install
- Once the download is completed, open Kodi and enjoy the FireStick Update! If you feel that you Kodi not working on FireStick, then you must repeat these steps again.
How to Update Kodi 17.6 on FireStick with ES File Explorer
- Open Amazon FireStick Main Menu > Go to Search option > Then type ES File Explorer
- Open ES File Explorer
- Click on Tools > Then select Download Manager located in the left-side menu
- Tap on the ‘+New’ option presented at the bottom menu
- It will ask you the Path, so type http://bit.ly/Kodi-17_6-Krypton-APK > Press OK
- Name the path i.e. Kodi > Then select Download Now
- The download will begin for Kodi Krypton 17.6
- Once the download is complete, select ‘Open File’ > Now the installation will start on your FireStick device
- Go back to FireStick device Home Screen
- Launch the Kodi Krypton 17.6 version > Enjoy the latest version with the FireStick Update!
How to Update Kodi on FireStick by Sideloading
- Open your Android phone > Then select Google Play Store and install Kodi Krypton
- Also, install Apps2Fire app from the Google Play Store on your Android Phone > Then launch Apps2Fire
- Now open FireStick Home > Click on Settings > Then Network > Get the FireStick IP address and note it down somewhere
- Go onto your Android Phone > In Apps2Fire app, go to Setup tab > Enter your FireStick IP address > Then click on Local Apps
- Find Kodi on the list and click on it > Then press Install
- Kodi will now transfer to your FireStick device
- Find Kodi on your FireStick app’s list > Launch Kodi Krypton update > Enjoy!
How to Upgrade to Latest Kodi Version on Android Devices
Here we list down detailed steps on how to update Kodi on all of the Android devices including Android Box, Android Tablet, Android Phone, and so much more.
Update Kodi on Android Box
- Launch Android Box Home Screen > Go to Apps
- Click on Browser App > Then type the URL https://kodi.tv/download
- Now scroll down to select Android
- It will ask if you want to install Kodi 17.6 on either Google Play or ARMV7A, so click on ARMV7A
- It will ask again if you want to download Kodi via ES Downloader or Browser. Select ES Downloader > Downloading will start
- Once the download is complete, close the Browser > Go to Android Box Home Screen > Click on Apps > Now select AppInstaller app
- A box will open which will ask your permission for installation in either Local Disk or ScanDisk SD Card, select Local Disk
- You will find Kodi Android App listed, select click on it
- A new page will appear which will inform Kodi users that the new version will replace the existing version, but the data will not be lost. Click All > Then press Install
- Once the app is installed, click Open > Now the newest version of Kodi i.e. 17.6 will appear > Enjoy!
If you already have Kodi installed on your Android Tablet, then all you have to do is to follow the steps highlighted below:
- Open your Android Tablet > Select Google Play Store
- Type Kodi onto the Search Box
- When the Kodi app appears on your screen, click on Update
- It will update the newest version of Kodi i.e. Kodi 17.6 > Enjoy!
There are two ways to update Kodi on Android Phone. Either you update Kodi using the Kodi website itself, or through Google Play Store.
Update Kodi Using APK File from Kodi Website
- Open Internet Browser on your Android Phone
- Type Kodi.tv > Scroll down and select Android
- Now scroll down again and press on the Android option
- Now select ARMV7A(32BIT)
- Download will start automatically
- Once the download is completed, click on the downloaded file
- Now it will ask if you want to overwrite the Kodi app with the new version, and explain that your data will not be lost. Click Install
- Open Kodi 17.6 app > Enjoy!
Update Kodi Using Google Play Store
- Open Android phone > Tap on Google Play Store
- Search for Kodi
- It will present you with the latest Kodi version i.e. 17.6 > Select Update
- It will overwrite the older version of Kodi that you are using
- Start using Kodi 17.6, the final version of Kodi Krypton.
How to Update Kodi on Windows
There are two ways you can update Kodi on Windows, either by using a Kodi add-on called Windows Installer, or through simply updating on Windows Store. Complete steps for each method has been provided below:
Using Windows Installer
- Once you Launch Kodi on Windows, go to Add-ons > Then select Package Installer (Box icon) on top menu
- Once you click on the Box-icon, now select Install from Repository
- Here you will find list of various repositories, scroll down and select Kodi Add-ons Repository
- Go to Program Add-ons > Then select Windows Installer from the list > Now hit Install
- Once you are done installing the add-on, go back to Kodi Main Screen > Then select Add-ons > Program Add-ons > Kodi Installer
- Click on Releases > Select Win32 option
- Here you will be presented with various Kodi Krypton version whichever you want to choose
- Select Kodi 17.6 for the latest version > It will start downloading. Now that you have upgrade Kodi, so Enjoy!
Using Windows Store
- Go to Windows Store
- Here you see a free Kodi App > Click on Get the App
- A pop-up box will appear, so click on Open Microsoft Store
- Click on Get/Launch
- Once Kodi app is downloaded on your Windows, Open the file
- The newer version of Kodi will overwrite the existing version, but it will keep all your settings intact, including your Kodi add-ons and Kodi Repositories.
How to Update to Latest Version of Kodi on Mac
The process to update on Mac is similar to that of Windows. Follow the steps highlighted below:
- Open Internet Browser and visit the official website of Kodi i.e. Kodi.tv
- Click on Downloads menu
- Now scroll down and select MacOS
- Click on Installer (64Bit)
- The downloading will start
- Once the download ends, Open the file
- It will prompt you that the new Kodi version will replace the older version of Kodi and that no data will be lost > Click Install
- Open Kodi and enjoy the latest version!
Updating Kodi on Mxq and Mxq Pro
Mxq and Mxq Pro is an Android box where you can install and update Kodi for free streaming of Movies and TV Shows. Therefore, if you have Kodi installed already on your Android device Mxq or Mxq Pro, then you must follow the section ‘How to Update Kodi on Android Devices’ and follow the same steps.
How to Upgrade Kodi Version on Apple TV 2
In order to update Kodi on Appl Tv 2, you would require a Mac. Now follow the steps highlighted below:
- Open your Mac > Now open Terminal and type the command ssh firstname.lastname@example.org (You must replace 192.168.1.1 with the IP address of your own Apple TV 2)
- You will know that the command works if it prompts you to insert password of your device. The default password is alpine, if you haven’t changed the password already.
- Now you will need to enter the following command one after the other:
- apt-get install wget
- wget -0- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add –
- echo ?deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- echo ?eb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
- If you have inserted all of the above commands correctly, then it will restart your Apple TV 2. Once it is restarted, you will find the newer version of Kodi available.
How to Update Kodi on GBox
- Open GBox Home Screen > Then select Google Play Store
- Type ES File Explorer > Install the file
- Go to Home Screen again and click on Browser > Then type Kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down to select Android > Then select ARM > It will download the latest version of Kodi
- Once the download completes, a screen will open which will ask your permission to install the downloaded file > Select New > Then click Install
- It will overwrite the existing Kodi version without losing any data
How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
- Go to OpenELEC website > Scroll down to select Download > Then click on Raspberry Pi Builds
- There are separate Builds for each of the Raspberry Pi generation, select your Raspberry Pi generation > Download the Zip File on your device
- Extract the Zip File on your device
- Copy the extracted file on a micro SD card. For doing that, you would require a software called Rufus that creates bootable USB drives. So download Rufus.
- Once you have downloaded Rufus, a box will emerge where you need to enter some information
- Select your SD card from the device option > Select the Disk image on the box
- Now navigate and upload the extracted file > Press the Start button > The file will be replaced
- Remove SD card and insert it into Raspberry Pi device > Once your Raspberry Pi device is Turned ON, it would boot Kodi automatically
- If you find Kodi not loading, wait a few more minutes > Enjoy Kodi Krypton final version
Updating Kodi on PC
Updating Kodi on PC is the same for how you update Kodi on Windows. It can be installed using a Windows Installer add-on, or through Windows Store. Both of these methods have been described above in the ‘How to update Kodi on Windows’ section.
The Wrap Up
Kodi is an ultimate media center that streams the latest media content. The good thing about Kodi is that it can be installed and updated in almost every device. In the guide above, we discussed a complete method on how to update Kodi on any device or platform. If you want to suggest a valuable update in this article, do suggest for sure.