Windscribe is one of the few VPN services that works for every popular purpose that users deploy a VPN for. Torrenting remains one of the main applications of a VPN, which is why users are always curious to know whether a given VPN will allow them to safely download torrents.
In this blog, we’ll find out if you can use Windscribe for torrenting in 2020.
Does Windscribe Allow Torrenting?
Yes, Windscribe is good for torrenting and supports p2p activities on its servers. Although it is located in Canada, a country where anti-piracy laws apply, the excellent logging policy of Windscribe makes it quite safe for the purposes of torrenting.
The VPN is also equipped with protective features such as a built-in Firewall that can be configured to remain enabled at all times to prevent any accidental leaks of your IP address and other personally identifiable information.
The provider uses strong encryption to guarantee you are able to securely download torrents without any chances of third-party interference on your torrenting traffic.
Windscribe uses AES-256 as the encryption method and employs SHA512 and 4096-RSA keys for authentication. In addition, it only uses the most secure VPN protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and an obfuscated mode called Stealth, making your information transfers through the web highly secure.
The incredible list of features doesn’t end here. The provider also offers SOCKS5 proxy which can improve your torrenting speed but at the cost of lower security. If you’re facing speed issues through the default Windscribe VPN protocols, you can setup SOCKS5 to resolve this issue.
Finally, Windscribe costs $4.08/month for the 1-year subscription which is slightly more expensive than some of the other alternatives. The best thing about Windscribe is that you can use the free version to download torrents as well, but you’ll be restricted to 10 GB of data/month.
You can learn more about Windscribe’s strengths and weaknesses in this review.
Windscribe P2P Servers
Windscribe offers more than 450 servers in over 60 countries. The majority of these servers support p2p with the exception of some. The server locations that do not offer support for Torrenting with Windscribe have a crossed-out P2P symbol attached next to them:
You should avoid using these servers as you won’t be able to download torrents through them. All other servers will offer you security you need to download torrents. For this reason, Windscribe VPN for torrenting is one of the best choices in the market.
How to Torrent Safely with Windscribe
Follow these steps to complete Windscribe torrenting setup:
- Get Windscribe VPN.
- After installing it on your system/device, launch the VPN.
- Connect to a server location except those with the crossed-out p2p symbol.
- Now launch your BitTorrent client. You will now be downloading torrents safely.
Configure uTorrent SOCSK5 Proxy with Windscribe
There are two advantages to configuring Windscribe proxy on uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client: it can increase your download speed and you can set uTorrent to use this proxy by default without needing to launch your Windscribe client every time you want to download a torrent.
Here’s how you can setup the Windscribe SOCKS5 proxy on uTorrent:
1. Launch your uTorrent client and click Options > Preferences.
2. In the new that opens, click on Connections in the menu on the left.
3. Under Proxy Server drop-down menu, select SOCKS5.
4. Get SOCKS5 credentials from Windscribe pro account.
5. Use the SOCKS5 Profile Generator to enter proxy server address, port number, username, and password.
6. Checkmark the following boxes: Authentication, Use proxy for hostname lookups, Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections, Disable all local DNS lookups, Disable features that leak identifying information, and Disable connections unsupported by the proxy.
If you need faster Windscribe VPN torrenting, SOCKS5 can definitely be effective. However, many users have experienced problems in SOCKS5 as discussed below.
Windscribe Torrenting Reddit
Windscribe is a popular VPN in Reddit communities. In fact, there is a whole subreddit related to Windscribe where representatives from the company actively participate in discussions and help users with their queries/problems.
However, Windscribe itself does not recommend SOCKS5 because of the lack of encryption in this protocol.
Here’s another thread about Windscribe’s torrenting capabilities:
Overall, redditors consider Windscribe a good VPN for torrenting purposes.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Torrenting
The following characteristics are essential for a VPN to be considered suitable for torrenting:
- P2P compatible servers: Obviously, if you want to be downloading torrents safely, you need to have a VPN that has p2p-optimzied servers and supports p2p activities.
- Encryption strength: A minimum of 128-bit encryption should be used to guard your online traffic sufficiently with complex encryption codes.
- No logging policy: Windscribe has a good logging policy as it retains no personally identifiable information. This ensures that even if authorities try raid to Windscribe’s servers, they won’t be able to find any information about you.
- Speed: Fast download speeds are essential. A VPN that is good for security but bad with speed won’t be of much utility. Therefore, it is important to factor in speed when choosing a VPN.
If you’re interested, check out our top torrent VPN services in 2020.
Still confused which VPN to use for torrenting? Here are some alternatives
- ExpressVPN for Torrenting
- NordVPN for Torrenting
- PIA for Torrenting
- PureVPN for Torrenting
- Ivacy VPN for Torrenting
- Tunnelbear for Torrenting
Windscribe and torrenting go hand-in-hand because of the security capabilities of this VPN. If you take into account the decent speeds, logging policy, and security features, Windscribe for torrents is one of the best options available in the market, especially since it also offers a free version with 10GB/month bandwidth.