- KEY Features - Windscribe VPN Review
- Windscribe Free VPN Review - Our Rating Criteria
- Pricing – How Much Does Windscribe VPN Cost?
- Streaming - Is Windscribe good for streaming?
- Windscribe - Privacy and Security
- Windscribe Speed and performance
- Is Windscribe VPN good for gaming
- Windscribe VPN Compatibility
- Windscribe VPN Customer Support & Reliability
- Comparison between ExpressVPN and Windscribe
- FAQs –Windscribe Review
How to Setup Windscribe on Roku in 2022
Installing Windscribe on your Roku device will help you stream Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and other services directly on your Roku device. Learn how to set up Windscribe on Roku in the easiest way possible. (Specially written for beginners)
Windscribe is mostly known for being free, but it also offers a paid version too. But regardless of whichever version you get, you still won’t be able to install Windscribe on your Roku device. That’s because Roku doesn’t currently offer native support for VPNs.
That being said, you can still set up Windscribe on Roku if you have a physical router or a computer that can run as a virtual wifi hotspot. You’ll then be able to bypass geo-restrictions and access all blocked content on Roku.
To make your life easier, in today’s guide, I’ll show you how to set up Windscribe on your router (physical or virtual) and provide an encrypted VPN connection to your Roku device for an unrestricted content streaming experience.
Does Windscribe work with Roku?
Yes, Windscribe works on Roku devices. However, in order to get the two of them to work together, you will need to either set up Windscribe on your physical router or use your computer (macOS/Windows) to provide a VPN connection to your Roku device.
While we’re specifically talking about using Windscribe, do keep in mind that you’re not going to be able to bypass strict geo-blocks imposed by Roku with just any random VPN service that you may find online.
Since Windscribe offers servers that work with torrenting and powerful features that can trample all sorts of geo-restrictions, it is one of the best VPN any Roku owner can get. Just check out our Windscribe review.
Anyways, now that you know that Windscribe works with Roku, let’s check out how you can set it up on your Roku device for restriction-free streaming.
How to Setup Windscribe on Roku (Via a router)
Setting up Windscribe on your physical router can be a bit difficult. Nonetheless, completely doable. All you need is a compatible router. Speaking of which, you can install Windscribe on DD-WRT, Tomato, and Asus routers.
You can also buy a pre-configured router from FlashRouters or VPNRouters. But if you’re all about that DIY lifestyle, here are all the steps you need to follow to get Windscribe installed on a DD-WRT.
Step 1: Get Windscribe’s OpenVPN Config file and credentials along with the CA Cert and TLS Auth Key
Step 2: Open the control panel of your DD-WRT router and click on the “Services” tab > “VPN” tab
Step 3: Now, scroll down and navigate to “OpenVPN Client” and click on “Enable”
Step 4: Open up the .ovpn config file that you downloaded earlier with any text editor
Step 5: Find the line that says “remote” and you will be able to see the country of your choice (example: ca. windscribe.com) followed by the port number (example: 443)
Step 6: Next, fill out the rest of the fields as follows:
- Server IP/Name: Enter the server address you want to connect to (example: ca. windscribe.com)
- Port: Set the port number to 443 or pick any port you find suitable
- Tunnel Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: Depends on which configuration file you downloaded in the beginning. I choose OpenVPN, so I can pick between UDP or TCP
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA512
- User Pass Authentication: Enable
- Username: Type in the username from step 1. Don’t enter your Windscribe account username
- Password: Type in the Password from step 1. Don’t enter your Windscribe account password
- Advanced Options: Enable
- TLS Cipher: None
- LZO Compression: Yes
- NAT: Enabled
- Firewall Protection: Enabled
- IP Address: Leave as blank
- Subnet Mask: Leave as blank
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500
- Tunnel UDP Fragment: Leave as blank
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Disabled
- nsCertType verification: Checkmark
- TLS Auth Key: For this, copy and paste the text from the ta.key file from the .zip folder you downloaded in Step 1. You can use any text editor for this step
- Additional Config: For this, copy/paste the following:
- reneg-sec 432000
- resolv-retry infinite
- CA Cert: For this, paste contents of ca.crt from the .zip you downloaded in Step 1. You can use any text editor for this step
Your screen should now look something like this:
Step 7: Click on the “Status” tab from the navbar, and then select “OpenVPN”
Step 8: Now, where it says “State”, look for CONNECTED SUCCESS. If you see this, then you’ve successfully setup Windscribe on your router (example: US Server IP/Name if your Roku is configured with US region settings)
Step 9: Next, just make sure that you are connected to the same server location as the location you used when first registering your Roku account
Step 10: Now, go to Settings on your Roku > Click on Network > click on Setup Connection
Step 11: Next, select Wireless
Step 12: From the list of Wi-Fi connections, find your Wi-Fi connection and click on it
Step 13: Now, type in your Password
Step 14: Once connected, you will see your status change to ‘Connected’
That’s it. Your Roku device is connected to the new wifi connection running Windscribe VPN. Now, with Windscribe’s fast speeds, you’ll be able to stream your favorite content without any buffering.
In case you found this method a bit difficult, then you can follow the virtual router method mentioned below. It is way easier.
How to Setup Windscribe on Roku (Via a virtual router)
If you don’t own a router that’s compatible with Windscribe VPN, then you can also set up a virtual wifi connection from your Windows PC or macOS computer running Windscribe. To do this, just follow the steps mentioned below:
Virtual Router on Windows
To easily create a virtual wifi connection using your Windows computer, just follow the super simple steps listed below to get started:
Step 2: Download and install the Windscribe app on your Windows PC
Step 3: Next, on your Windows computer, click on the taskbar located at the bottom right then the Internet connection icon > Network & Internet Settings
Step 4: Find mobile hotspot on the left-hand menu and turn on the Share my Internet connection with other devices option
Step 5: Now click on the Status located on the left-hand menu and then click on Change adapter options
Step 6: Now, Right-click on the Windscribe Tap Adapter and then click on Properties
Step 7: Next, click on the Sharing tab and checkmark the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”
Step 8: From the drop-down menu, select the hotspot that you just created and then click on OK
Step 9: Now, your PC can run as a virtual wifi router with Windscribe running in the background
Step 10: Now, launch the Windscribe app onto your computer and connect to a US server
Step 11: Next, on your Roku’s main menu, select Settings > Network
Step 12: Then select Set up Connection > Wireless
Step 13: Now, you should see a list of all Wi-Fi networks. Just select the virtual Wifi connection you created earlier
Step 14: Now, enter your Wi-Fi password when asked and connect your Roku device to Windscribe
Note: In order to be able to make the above method work and be able to access U.S specific content on Roku, make sure that your Roku device is set up properly with a US region. If not, follow the steps mentioned below:
How do I change my Roku region to the U.S?
To change the region of your Roku device to the US, just follow the steps below. When you’re done, you’ll be able to watch U.S. exclusive content from anywhere in the world.
Step 1: Launch the Windscribe app and connect to a U.S. server location
Step 2: Now, create a Roku account
Step 3: Since you don’t have a U.S. credit card, if you get asked to choose a payment method, you can just skip this step without providing credit card information
That’s it. Your new US Roku account is properly created. Now you can use it freely with Windsribe VPN.
But in case you’re already signed in to your Roku device with a non-U.S. account, you can factory reset your Roku device by going into Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset to sign out.
Virtual Router on macOS
If you own a macOS computer, you can also easily create a virtual VPN hotspot too. But before you get started, plug in an ethernet cable into your macOS computer and then follow the steps listed below:
- First, click the Apple logo located in the top left corner
- Next, click on “System preferences”
- Now, select “Network”
- Click on the “+” icon at the bottom left corner
- Now where it says “Interface”, choose “VPN”
- As for “VPN type” choose “IKEv2”
- For the “Service name” type in any network name
- Next, copy and paste in the US server address Remote ID (you can find it on the internet)
- Next, click on “Authentication settings”
- Click on “Username and Password of your VPN account.”
- Now, click on “Ok”, then click “Advanced”
- Next, click on “Send all traffic over VPN connection” and then click “Ok”
- Click on “Apply” and then “Connect”
- Now, again click on the Apple logo and go to “System preferences”
- Next, select “Sharing”
- Tick mark the box that says “Internet sharing”
- Now, choose “Wi-Fi” > “Network name” and type in the network name as “Channel: [default]”, “Security” as WPA2 Personal, and for “Password”, type in your chosen password. Now where it says “Verify” type in the password again
- Finally, click on “Ok” to finish the process
That’s it, you’re all done. If you followed all the steps properly but are still encountering connectivity issues for some reason with Windscribe, make sure to check out our Windscribe not working guide for easy fixes.
How Windscribe Unblocks Channels on Roku
So, if you purchase a paid subscription to Windscribe, you’ll get access to plenty of cool features. For starters, you’ll get access to servers in over 60 countries and 110 cities. In addition, you’ll be able to enjoy perks like no logs, AES-256 encryption, Ad-blocker, and much more.
By simply connecting to any U.S server hosted by Windscribe, you’ll be able to access any blocked content on Roku you can think of. Here’s how easy it is to unblock regionally restricted channels on Roku with Windscribe:
- Power on your Roku device
- Install Netflix or any other streaming service on your Roku (How to watch Netflix with Windscribe)
- Log in to the Netflix app using your Username and Password
- Search for any movie or TV show you wish to watch and enjoy
Overall, Windscribe is an excellent choice for any Roku user. But just in case you don’t find Windscribe to be right for you, then you can always cancel your Windscribe subscription and get a full refund.
Now that you know how easy it is to set up Windscribe on Roku, we can now look at some of the most frequently asked questions about setting up a VPN on Roku.
Can you download a VPN on Roku?
To be straightforward with you, NO! Since Roku devices don’t actually support VPNs, you can’t directly download any VPN app on it. Instead, the only way to use a VPN with your Roku device is to actually install one on your router (physical or virtual).
Can I put a VPN on my router?
Yes, as we’ve seen in this guide, you can install most VPNs on compatible routers. However, do keep in mind that the setup process might not be suitable for everyone as it does require some technical knowledge.
Does Windscribe hide your IP?
Yes, Windscribe VPN can easily hide your IP address so that you can’t be tracked when using streaming players like Roku. Using Windscribe with your Roku device will allow you to access any blocked channel or content you can think of.
So there you have it. This concludes our guide on how to set up Windscribe on Roku. Hopefully, you’re now able to watch all blocked content on Roku with Windscribe.
But if you’re experiencing any issues with Windscribe, then you can alternatively check out our list of the best VPNs for Roku.
In case you don’t want to try Windscribe, feel free to check out our list of other recommended best VPNs in 2022.
You can also check out our How to Install ExpressVPN router guide to get started.