- Key Findings for Windscribe VPN Review
- Pricing – How Much Does Windscribe VPN Cost?
- Streaming - Is Windscribe good for streaming?
- Windscribe - Privacy and Security
- Windscribe Speed and performance
- Is Windscribe VPN good for gaming
- Windscribe VPN Compatibility
- Windscribe VPN Customer Support & Reliability
- FAQs –Windscribe Review
- Do we Recommend Windscribe?
Is Windscribe Good for Torrenting?
Is Windscribe safe for torrenting? This article answers all the questions you have regarding Windscribe VPN Torrenting capabilities.
- Updated: March 24, 2023
- 0 User Reviews
- Minnie J. Hamilton
Windscribe is one of the most well-rounded VPN services in the industry. The provider offers a variety of excellent features that facilitate users in experiencing better online privacy while enjoying greater internet freedom.
Torrent users generally need VPNs in order to maintain their privacy while performing p2p filesharing activities. Not all VPNs are designed to support torrents and keep users secure, but Windscribe is among those VPNs that are widely considered suitable for torrents.
In this article, we’ll discuss the key strengths of Windscribe as relates to torrenting.
How to Torrent Safely with Windscribe
- Get Windscribe VPN.
- After installing it on your system/device, launch the VPN.
- Connect to a server location except those with the crossed-out p2p symbol.
- Now launch your BitTorrent client. You will now be downloading torrents safely.
Why Is Windscribe Good for Torrenting?
There are several reasons why Windscribe is a good choice for torrenting:
Although it is located in Canada, a country where anti-piracy laws apply, the excellent logging policy of Windscribe makes it quite safe for the purposes of torrenting.
Firewall (kill switch):
The VPN is also equipped with protective features such as a built-in firewall that can be configured to remain enabled at all times to prevent any accidental leaks of your IP address and other personally identifiable information.
Windscribe offers more than 450 servers in over 60 countries. The majority of these servers support p2p with the exception of some. The server locations that do not offer support for Torrenting with Windscribe have a crossed-out P2P symbol attached next to them as shown below:
You should avoid using these servers as your Windscribe restricts torrent traffic on these for security purposes. All other servers will offer you the security you need to download torrents.
Our Windscribe speed test results reveal a bit of a mixed picture. The performance is a little shaky with some servers working poorly while others working quite fast. On the US server, Windscribe performed admirably and delivered 84.8 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Overall the speeds are decent and good enough to make Windscribe work well for Netflix as well.
Windscribe uses AES-256 as the encryption method and employs SHA512 and 4096-RSA keys for authentication. In addition, it only uses the most secure VPN protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and an obfuscated mode called Stealth, making your information transfers through the web highly secure.
The incredible list of features doesn’t end here. The provider also offers a SOCKS5 proxy which can improve your torrenting speed but at the cost of lower security. If you’re facing speed issues through the default Windscribe VPN protocols, you can set up SOCKS5 to resolve this issue.
Finally, Windscribe costs $4.08/month for the 1-year subscription which is slightly more expensive than some of the other alternatives.
The best thing about the VPN is that you can get the Windscribe free trial to download torrents as well. After you get the paid subscription, you can still cancel Windscribe to get your refund if done so within 3 days of purchase.
Since the VPN offers unlimited simultaneous connections, you can install Windscribe on Firestick, Kodi, and even Roku through a router.
How to Configure uTorrent SOCSK5 Proxy with Windscribe
There are two advantages to configuring the Windscribe proxy on uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client: it can increase your download speed and you can set uTorrent to use this proxy by default without needing to launch your Windscribe client every time you want to download a torrent.
Here’s how you can set up the Windscribe SOCKS5 proxy on uTorrent:
1. Launch your uTorrent client and click Options > Preferences.
2. In the new that opens, click on Connections in the menu on the left.
3. Under the Proxy Server drop-down menu, select SOCKS5.
4. Get SOCKS5 credentials from the Windscribe pro account.
5. Use the SOCKS5 Profile Generator to enter proxy server address, port number, username, and password.
6. Checkmark the following boxes: Authentication, Use proxy for hostname lookups, Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections, Disable all local DNS lookups, Disable features that leak identifying information, and Disable connections unsupported by the proxy.
If you need faster Windscribe VPN torrenting, SOCKS5 can definitely be effective. However, many users have experienced problems in SOCKS5 as discussed below.
For troubleshooting tips, see this guide on fixing Windscribe.
Windscribe and torrenting go hand-in-hand because of the strong security and privacy capabilities that users get from Windscribe. If you take into account the decent speeds, logging policy, and security features, Windscribe is one of the best options available in the market for torrents, especially since it also offers a free version with 10GB/month bandwidth.
You can learn more about this VPN in this Windscribe review.
In case you want to know which free VPNs are great for Torrenting, feel free to check out our list of other recommended Best free VPNs for Torrenting in 2022.