However, it does not support VPN natively and without one of the best VPNs for Roku in Japan, you might have to face geo-blocks. ExpressVPN is generally considered the Best VPN for Roku in Japan. It not only offers excellent unblocking ability but is easy to use on Roku devices and other streaming platforms.
Unfortunately, many channels, including VoD streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer, are inaccessible in many parts of the world. And to unblock such popular content, you’ll need an approved US IP address with the help of a VPN for Roku in Japan.
Our top recommendation for Roku in Japan
is ExpressVPN because it not only offers excellent unblocking ability but is easy to use on Roku devices and other streaming platforms.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
I have also come up with a super simple guide to help you install a VPN on your Roku devices, as well as a list of some of the best VPN services for Roku after reviewing Best Kodi VPN in Japan.
Best VPN for Roku in Japan [Indepth Analysis – 2023]
After thorough research, here’s a list of the 5 Best VPNs for Roku in Japan 2023. These mentioned VPNs support streaming on Roku, while providing maximum security and privacy, and are considered the best VPN for Roku in Japan in 2023.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Roku in Japan
ExpressVPN is the leading VPN service for Roku in Japan. The service provides servers in more than 94 countries with over3000+ in total, so ExpressVPN on Roku is always full of options for servers, especially for streaming services.
All servers operate with exceptionally high speeds and provide a stable connection. Part of the reason behind the blazing fast speeds is ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol. This protocol is considered the best for streaming and puts ExpressVPN among the best streaming VPN in Japan. Opt for ExpressVPN to unblock Classis US content on Youtube TV in Japan, TCM in Japan. This VPN for Roku lets you watch TV channels such as Italian TV in Japan and use apps like Claude 2 in Japan.
ExpressVPN is one of the Best VPN for CentroAmerica TV in Japan and Hallmark in Japan as well.
Security-wise, it uses robust encryption techniques of military-grade standards, which is why we rated it so highly in our review of ExpressVPN in Japan. So, if you want to stream content through Roku anonymously and keep your activities safely guarded, ExpressVPN is the best Roku VPN service available in Japan.
It also offers a kill switch feature for added security and a strict no-logging policy so users know that no data would be collected. In addition, it offers 5 simultaneous connections to users and refreshes IP addresses frequently, so users never get caught while accessing geo-restricted websites.
With that being said, at JPY991.62/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan) price tag might be slightly expensive, but it is completely worth it. Also, all of ExpressVPN’s premium subscription comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here is a detailed guide on how to set up ExpressVPN on Roku in Japan.
Surfshark might be a great provider in Japan, but its comprehensive list of features is quite impressive. You can’t help but admire Surfshark’s ability to unblock almost any streaming channel available on Roku because of its 3200+ servers in 100 countries
Among its other innovative features, it offers a multi-hop feature that provides twice the security and privacy. One thing I don’t like, however, is the lack of a PPTP protocol. I wish Surfshark offered this protocol to ensure fast streaming speeds.
Surfshark for Roku can be availed for only JPY341.94/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan), and it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which is an absolute bargain.
With its strong 256-bit encryption and privacy, you can use this Roku OpenVPN or IKEv2 to stream content on the device safely. Let’s not forget, Surfshark offers unlimited connections on a single account, ensuring privacy on all devices you own except Roku.
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN for Roku in Japan
NordVPN for Roku in Japan is a highly trusted VPN provider in Japan that has proven its excellence through consistent performance. In addition, it has 5500+ servers in 60 countries which are actually pretty cool.
Since you need fast and reliable servers to stream content through Roku, NordVPN is perhaps the best VPN for Roku in Japan. NordVPN also offers 6 simultaneous connections so that you can use it on multiple devices at once. NordVPN is also considered the Top VPN for HBO Max in Japan as well.
In addition, the service uses double VPN, onion over VPN, and obfuscated servers, along with strong military-grade AES-256 Bit encryption to the user traffic flowing through the VPN server.
In terms of compatibility, NordVPN offers optimized apps for NordVPN on pfSense, Mac, and iOS, Install NordVPN on my LG TV in Japan, NordVPN on my Smart TV in Japan, and Android, NordVPN on Xbox in Japan, and even browser extensions that work with Chrome and Firefox. It is the best VPN for Roku TV. In addition, this VPN for Roku lets you access all different types of sites like Diablo-4 in Japan and Youku in Japan.
Last but not least, NordVPN costs only JPY593.19/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan), and is covered by a full 30-day money-back guarantee. Learn all about NordVPN payment methods including NordVPN with PayPal in Japan and pick the most suitable payment method according to your convenience.
On the bright side, this VPN service for Roku offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee as well, which we’ve applauded in our NordVPN review in Japan.
4. IPVanish – Fastest VPN for Roku in Japan
IPVanish is the fastest VPN in Japan for Roku. During our testing, It delivered lightning-fast VPN connection speed results. For example, it produced an impressive download speed of 27.91 Mbps on a 30 Mbps internet connection.
IPVanish is a US-based VPN service provider that offers the most advanced VPN features for users worldwide. Its 2000+ servers in 75 locations can easily grant you access to streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Spotify, CCTN, NHK, Crackle TV, and more. IPVanish VPN for Roku, you get access to geo-restricted websites like Walmart in Japan for Sprint in Japan users as well.
A variety of server locations means that IPVanish is particularly suited for Roku devices. Another reason why you’ll love IPVanish for Roku is because of its PPTP protocol which is optimized for fast speeds to stream all your favorite content on Roku.
Aside from protocols, other features like dedicated streaming servers, unlimited bandwidth, 10 simultaneous connections, and zero ISP throttling in Japan are the prime reasons many people use IPVanish with Roku.
It is available for only JPY495.07/mo (US$ 3.33/mo) and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to users to check its service before purchasing the actual subscription.
To learn more about this provider, check out our CyberGhost review in Japan.
5. CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for Roku in Japan
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN provider in Japan. The server infrastructure it boasts is quite impressive, with over9700+ servers in 91 countries so that you can access streaming channels CBS in Japan, Disney+, Hulu, ITV, Channel4, Netflix, Voot, Foxtel, Nine, CBS, EuroSports UK, and more via Roku.
Although the entire feature list of CyberGhost would be too long for this blog, I’ll still share a few that I think are truly noteworthy. These features include AES-256-Bit encryption, an internet kill switch, secure DNS, and obfuscated servers.
CyberGhost costs only JPY313.69/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee. With CyberGhost you don’t have to worry about geo-restricted websites because not only is it an effective VPN for Roku, but it also unblocks dozens of other platforms like Turkish TRT Spor in Japan and TBMM TV in Japan.
Here is a detailed CyberGhost on Roku setup guide in Japan to learn to set it up on Roku.
To learn more about this provider, check out our CyberGhost review in Japan.
Two simple methods to set up your VPN on Roku in Japan
Roku does not support VPNs on any device in Japan hence, you are unable to download it directly. However, there are two methods that you can choose from to use VPN on Roku in Japan, either you need to set up a VPN for Roku on a Wi-Fi router or any other intermediary device, such as Windows, that will act as a router.
Here are two simple methods to set up a VPN on Roku in Japan:
1. Setting up a VPN on Roku using a virtual router.
2, Set up a VPN on Roku using a DNS proxy.
Unlike Fire Stick, where you can simply sideload the VPN app and install it, Roku doesn’t have such support, at least not for now. Speaking of Fire Stick, if you’re considering using it instead of Roku, make sure you check out our blog on Best VPN for FireStick in Japan & Free VPN for Firestick in Japan.
Don’t worry though, just follow the below-mentioned super simple steps to add VPN to Roku. Let’s start with the virtual router method first since it’s considerably easier.
Connect Roku with a VPN-enabled Wi-Fi router
You can turn your PC and Mac into virtual routers with which your Roku can share a VPN connection. I will explain the step-by-step methods for configuring your PC and Mac to work as a virtual router below that helps you use VPN for Roku in Japan:
1. Setting up Roku with a VPN via Shared PC Internet Connection
Follow the steps below to set up a VPN Roku through your PC (Windows 10):
- To use VPN with Roku, you first need to install VPN software on your system.
- Click on the monitor icon on the taskbar and click “Open Network Internet Settings.“
- In the new windows that open up, select Change adapter settings.“
- Find your VPN connection in the list (PureVPN Roku in this case) and right-click it to open “Properties.”
- On the Sharing tab, click the checkmark for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.“
- Click “OK.”
- Now you can use your PC as a virtual router and use VPN for Roku..
- Connect your Roku device to your PC’s Wi-Fi hotspot.
- That’s it! now you get to use Roku VPN in Japan!
2. Setting up VPN on Roku via Shared Mac Internet Connection
Note: This setup shows the sharing of Express VPN as a VPN for Roku through Mac acting as a virtual router. All the major steps will be the same for any provider, except for the minor details involving server addresses, protocols, and login credentials.
- Click the Apple logo on the top and open System Preferences.
- Select Network in the System Preferences menu.
- Click the + sign on the bottom left when the new window opens to add a new VPN connection.
- When the pop-up opens, choose these options:
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP over IPSec
- Service name: [Enter any name]
- Press Create.
- Now enter the following details.
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: [Enter the address of the server you want to connect to (for help, see your provider’s website)]
- Account Name: [your VPN username]
- Check the “Show VPN status in the menu bar” box.
- Now open Authentication Settings to enter your VPN account password and “12345678” as Shared Secret. Click OK.
- Click on Advanced… and check “Send all traffic over VPN connection” before pressing OK.
- Select Apply to save settings.
- Now back on the Network screen, press Connect to start the VPN on your Mac.
- Navigate back to System Preferences and click “Sharing.”
- Click on Internet sharing in the list of options on the left.
- Next, use the following settings:
- Share your connection from [The connection you just created]
- To computers using: Wi-Fi
- Choose Wi-Fi Options and enter the following information
- Network Name: [Pick any name]
- Channel: [Leave as default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: [Set a Password]
- Verify: [Re-type the Password]
(You will need to enter this password when you connect your Roku to your Mac as a virtual router)
- Now go back to the Sharing screen and check the “Internet Sharing” box.
- This should turn on the green light which says “Internet Sharing: On.”
- Connect your Roku to the VPN configuration you have just created via your Mac (It should appear with the network name you chose).
- Congratulations! You have successfully shared a VPN connection from your Mac to Roku.
Connect Roku with a DNS proxy
To install a VPN Roku in Japan on a physical router, you need custom firmware that supports VPN for Roku installation. The best VPN router for Roku is DD-WRT. This firmware supports most VPN providers out there, and it also allows users to configure their routers with greater control and flexibility.
The process of installing a VPN on a DD-WRT, however, is quite technically involved. Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend this method if you are totally clueless about manually setting up routers.
For those of you that are still interested, here goes:
Note: This VPN setup on a physical DD-WRT router uses NordVPN Roku for demonstration purposes. The method is almost the same for all other VPNs, but the specific values and commands used in the process will differ from VPN to VPN.
- Open DD-WRT Administrative Interface and visit Setup > Basic Setup.
- Enter the following DNS addresses under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP):
- Static-DNS-1 = 18.104.22.168
- Static-DNS-2 = 22.214.171.124
- Static-DNS-3 = 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Use DNSMasq for DHCP = Checked
- Use DNSMasq for DNS = Checked
- DHCP-Authoritative = Checked
- Now Save and Apply the settings
- Open Setup > IPv6 and Disable it before pressing Save & Apply.
(This step is needed to prevent IP leaks)
- Navigate to Service > VPN and set Start OpenVPN Client = Enable under OpenVPN Client
This will open the options you need to access to configure the router. Enter the values as shown in the image below:
Note: Enter your username and password associated with your VPN account and enter a server IP/Name depending on your choice (you can get the server address from the official website of your provider)
- Copy/paste the following commands in the Additional Config field:
- Now download TLS and CA certificates from your provider’s official website. For example, you can find NordVPNs here.
- Unzip the downloaded file and open the server’s folder.
- Using Notepad, the CA.crt file of the server address you entered (us936_nordvpn_com_ca.crt for the present example).
- Copy Paste the entirety of this text (from —-BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– to —–END CERTIFICATE—–) in the CA Cert field.
- Open the TLS.key file of the server you selected (which is us936_nordvpn_com_tls.key for this example) with Notepad.
- Now paste all of its tests in the TLS Auth Key field box.
- Click Save and Apply Settings to finalize the setup.
- To confirm that the VPN has been set up on your router, navigate to Status > OpenVPN.
- If it displays Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS, under State, then you should congratulate yourself for setting up a VPN for Roku through your router.
How to Create a US Roku Account in Japan?
You must have an American Roku account to run American streaming apps on your Roku, such as HBO, US Netflix, Hulu, NBC, etc. The steps below outline how you can achieve this goal:
- First of all, use your VPN to connect to a US server.
- Visit https://my.roku.com/index and click “Create an account.”
- Enter the required information and press “Continue.”
- Select a PIN and press “Continue” again.
- Next, select a payment option of your choice.
- Enter a valid American address with a zip code if you chose PayPal.
- You must enter the address associated with your credit card if you chose this option.
- Now convert your postal code into a valid zip code by taking the digits from your postcode and adding zero to the end if there are fewer than 5 digits. For instance, postal code N3K5F7 would mean the zip code is 35700
- Note down the city associated with this zip code, as you would need to enter this when setting up a US Roku account.
- Now open the Roku home screen>Settings>Factory Reset and follow the instructions to reset it.
- Your US account is successfully created, and now you’re ready to use VPN and Roku simultaneously.
How to choose a Roku VPN in Japan? Our test methodology
Since there are over 850 VPNs available on the internet, choosing the right VPNs for Roku in Japan can be quite confusing. Here’s what you should check to choose the best VPN for Roku in Japan:
- Easy to set up: Since Roku doesn’t allow VPNs to be directly installed, users need to download it on their virtual routers. Therefore, you need to select a VPN that is easy to set up on your device and offers clear setup instructions instead of confusing you more.
- Streaming: Select a VPN that lets you unblock the geo-restricted content on Roku easily. This is one of the primary reasons to get a Roku VPN in Japan. Hence you should always focus on this. If you’re hesitant, then just test the VPN service first using its refund policy.
- Security: You should get a VPN that offers some high-security features like 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection, etc., so you can remain secure while accessing geo-restricted services.
- Speed: High speeds are one significant point of concern. Below-average speeds would only lead to buffering while you’re trying to stream. Therefore, get yourself a VPN that has super-fast speeds like ExpressVPN.
- Customer support: The VPN you choose should offer 24/7 live chat support so you can ask any question anytime you like.
Free VPNs for Roku in Japan– Should you use one?
A free VPN for Roku is a big NO. Most of the time, free VPNs sell your data to third-party companies in exchange for money. Other than that, a free VPN for Roku comes with bandwidth caps and won’t let you consume too much bandwidth.
Free VPNs also come with limited servers that wouldn’t let you stream everything across the world. Annoying ads are also one significant disadvantage.
Since your main use case would be streaming, we do not recommend users to use free VPNs with Roku TV in Japan because of the reasons above. Instead, to enjoy unhindered streaming for hours, make sure you use a premium VPN for Roku.
However, here are some free VPNs for Roku in Japan if you still need some suggestions:
- ProtonVPN: ProtonVPN is one free VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth but only 3 servers to users. Due to server limitations, it may be compatible with Roku, but it will barely unblock any geo-restricted content.
- Windscribe: This free VPN provider offers some great security features like a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and more but offers only 10GB/mo to users. Hence, this VPN is barely for any user who is a fan of streaming.
- Tunnelbear: While this VPN offers 20 free server locations that are practically more than ProtonVPN, it offers only a 500MB/mo data limit, which prevents users from streaming for a long time.
Roku VPNs to Avoid in Japan in 2023
There are quite a few VPN options in the market. However, not all of them are actually safe for you to use. The following VPNs are considered an unreliable VPN for Roku in Japan.
1. Hola VPN:
Hola was exposed to selling data of all its users to third parties back in 2015. Since then, this VPN has been highly criticized and considered unreliable by us and all VPN users. This VPN used all of its users’ PCs as exit nodes to pass internet traffic, later selling their logs.
2. VPN Book:
This VPN has vague policies, and it remains unexposed who actually is behind the company. Furthermore, this VPN is also believed to keep logs and send that information to the governments. Therefore, the privacy and performance of this VPN in Japan are questioned, and it is not recommended by us at all.
Benefits of Using a VPN with Roku in Japan
A VPN for Roku in Japan unlocks the full potential of your Roku streaming stick by unblocking any streaming service not available in your country. You see, Roku uses Geo-IP tracking to identify which country you are located in. This is done by reading the country code of your IP address. To find Roku IP address in Japan, go to Settings from your home screen> Choose Network > Select About and you will see your Roku IP address there.
Your IP address is your virtual identity card and is shared with every server you connect to. While every IP address is usually unique, the first few digits represent the country you are sitting in – much like a country code at the start of the phone number.
Coming back to the subject…
When you use a VPN on Roku, your internet traffic is encrypted and routed through a super-secure third-party server that takes responsibility for protecting your data when it is in transit while making your intended website believe that you are sitting in the same country as the VPN server.
This means you can be sitting in Korea but make it look like you are watching Roku easily in Japan.
Best VPN for Roku in Japan: FAQs
Can I run my Roku through a VPN in Japan?
Without a Roku VPN in Japan, you cannot. The only solution is installing a VPN on Router and connecting your Roku device to that, enjoying a VPN secure connection.
Do I need a VPN with Roku in Japan?
With Roku, you get access to multiple streaming platforms and services. However, some services are geo-blocked, meaning it is only accessible to people having the IP address of a certain location. You need a VPN for Roku in Japan to stream those services
Is it legal to jailbreak Roku with a VPN in Japan?
How do I set up a VPN for Roku in Japan?
To set up a VPN for Roku in Japan, you typically configure the VPN on your router rather than directly on the Roku device.
- Go to settings on Roku
- From “network”, select “Wireless Wifi”
- Select your router that is VPN protected
- Enter your password and Connect
This routes all Roku traffic through the VPN, providing enhanced privacy and geo-spoofing capabilities.
Can I set up NordVPN with Roku in Japan?
Roku lacks built-in VPN support, including NordVPN. However, you can use router-level VPN settings or set up a VPN for Roku in Japan on a device sharing its connection with Roku to achieve VPN protection while streaming.
Which Channels are Free on Roku in Japan?
Some of the most popular free channels on Roku in Japan are Pandora, PBS Kids, Crackle, Twitch, The Weather Network & The Roku Channel.
Can you Watch Live TV on a Roku in Japan?
Various channels available on Roku in Japan, offer live TV coverage, such as Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and DirecTV NOW. So yes, you can actually watch live TON on a Roku, which is great news for cord-cutters.
What are the best alternatives for Roku in Japan?
A great alternative to Roku in Japan is the Amazon Fire Stick. Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick offers similar functionality as Roku but tends to be more flexible when installing third-party apps, like a VPN.
This makes it easier to unblock geo-restricted content on Fire TV than on Roku, as you do not need to go through the struggle of setting up a VPN on your wireless router. Instead, you can easily install a VPN on Fire TV, set up third-party apps, specify DNS servers, set up Kodi, etc.
Can I use Roku on a Smart TV in Japan?
Yes, Roku can be used easily on your Smart TV in Japan. You just need to connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable, and you’re good to go. To access the geo-restricted content on Roku, just install a VPN app on your wireless router and unblock geo-restricted content on your Roku device and others.
Will Roku Work in Japan?
Your Roku device itself will face no problem functioning in Japan and display channels. However, geo-restrictions are imposed on most US-based channels so that these specific channels won’t work in Japan. Thus, you will need to use a VPN with US servers to access America-only channels on your Roku.
Wrapping up! – Best VPNs For Roku in Japan
Roku is a pioneer in entertainment, and it doesn’t get better than this if you want to watch US TV shows and movies. So it is a shame that only US-based subscribers can get the best out of their Roku devices.
ExpressVPN’s 3000+ lightning-fast, and AES-256-Bit encrypted servers in 94 countries will allow you to bypass any streaming service geo-restrictions within a few seconds.
If you hurry up, you can avail of ExpressVPN’s limited-time “12 months + 3 months free” subscription that comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
In the end, I hope you found this article helpful. Hopefully, you now know how to set up a Roku VPN on your router.
Moreover, you can visit our best VPN guide for detailed information on all other streaming devices apart from Roku.