DStv (Digital Satellite Television) is a popular streaming service with some of the best shows like Dark Matter, Outlander, and Fear The Walking Dead.
Unfortunately, it’s geo-restricted and can only be accessed from within South Africa. Worry not, as with a VPN, you can stream DStv in USA with ease.
Just like other streaming services, DStv is geo-blocked and if you try to access it in the US without a VPN, you will get this error message on your screens:
Therefore, you have to get a South African IP address from one of the most popular VPNs for South Africa to unblock DStv in the US.
By using a VPN that has multiple South African VPN servers, you can get a SA IP, and unblock DStv abroad and in the US.
VPN will mask your real IP address, and make it seem like you are trying to access DStv from within SA, thus granting your unrestricted access to all the shows and channels.
A VPN is a reliable tool for accessing DStv outside South Africa.
How to Watch DStv in USA – Quick Guide
- Sign up for a VPN with servers in South Africa (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Now, download and install the app on your device
- Log in using your credentials and launch the app
- Connect to a South African server
- Visit DStv website > log in and start streaming your favorite shows online.
Best VPN Services to Watch DStv in the US 2021
Here are some of the best VPN for unblocking DStv in the US and abroad:
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for DStv
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for streaming shows on DStv in the US with the strong unblocking ability and fast-speed servers. Speaking of which, it offers 3000+ servers overall in 94 countries.
With ExpressVPN, you will not have to wait for the video to load and buffer as it is also one of the fastest VPNs in the industry. During testing, ExpressVPN worked smoothly and instantly unblocked DStv on its SA server. We found its South African server to be super-fast as it delivered a consistently fast speed of 88 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Apart from DStv, ExpressVPN also works with other popular international streaming sites like Netflix US, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, and more.
Another cool feature that ExpressVPN offers is a SmartDNS by the name of Media Streamer.
This feature allows you to connect VPN to devices that don’t lack native support for VPNs. This way, you can use it with Smart TVs, Apple TV, PlayStation, and more.
If we talk about compatibility, ExpressVPN is compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, macOS, FireStick, and more.
Moreover, you can connect 5 devices at the same time on a single subscription.
For security, ExpressVPN offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and offers a true no-logs policy.
When it comes to your online privacy, ExpressVPN takes it really seriously. In fact, it is also located in the safe jurisdiction of the British Virgin Islands.
It also offers 24/7 live chat support available on its website in case you face any connectivity issues.
If you’re interested in this service, you can try ExpressVPN free for a month risk-free using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our ExpressVPN review for further details.
2. Surfshark: User-friendly VPN for streaming DStv
Surfshark is a user-friendly VPN for streaming DStv abroad in the US. It is also super affordable. In fact, it is available for just $2.49/mo and allows unlimited simultaneous connections so you can stream on multiple devices with a single Surfshark account.
It features around 3200+ servers in 65 countries, including SA.
With so many servers, Surfshark is perfect for unblocking even other geo-restricted platforms. For example, you can also easily unblock DAZN, Voot, Kayo Sports, and more from anywhere.
When testing Surfshark with DStv it managed to unblock it within just 15 seconds, and not once did we encounter any errors.
In terms of speed, its servers are really fast, capable of offering upto 74.7 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
If we talk about compatibility, Surfshark offers apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and there is also a Smart DNS feature that you can use to set up Surfshark on Apple TVs, Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and other devices.
There is also 24/7 customer support available, so you can get instant help in case of any DStv blocking issues. You can try Surfshark with DStv yourself in the USA as it also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth Surfshark review for further details.
3. NordVPN: Reliable DStv VPN to watch in it in the US
NordVPN is another excellent choice if you are looking for a VPN that works with DStv in the USA.
It has more than 5200 servers in 60 countries, including servers in SA. Meaning, with NordVPN, you can also access other geo-restricted streaming sites in the US with ease.
With such an extensive server network, you can not only unblock DStv with NordVPN easily, but also other popular geo-restricted streaming sites, such as HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, Disney+ Hotstar, and a lot more.
When testing DStv with NordVPN, we connected to its SA servers that were really fast and managed to unblock the service within 12 seconds. If we talk about numbers, we managed to receive a speed of 91 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Apart from unblocking sites, NordVPN is also a great tool for online privacy as it features a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and DNS leak protection.
It also offers additional features such as CyberSec (adblocker), Double VPN, and split tunneling are also available.
You can connect up to 6 devices simultaneously on a single NordVPN account, and it is compatible with Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android, FireStick, and more.
NordVPN also offers a SmartPlay feature that allows you to stream on devices that don’t natively support VPNs like Smart TVs, Apple TV, gaming consoles (Xbox, and more). This feature also ensures fast speeds for lag-free streaming.
NordVPN is available for a price of $3.30/mo (VPN Awareness Month - 2 year plan at 72% off + 3 months FREE). All of its subscription plans come covered with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free with DStv in the USA and decide for yourself.
You can read our latest NordVPN review for more details.
Testing Methodology: How to choose the best VPN to watch DStv in USA?
As I mentioned earlier, not all VPNs work with DStv. Despite advertising tons of South African servers, the sad reality is that only a handful of VPNs work. We tested multiple VPNs on the following criteria to bring you the top 3 best options for streamers in the USA:
- Plenty of South African servers: When choosing a VPN for DStv, you want to choose a VPN service that offers plenty of South African servers. You also want a VPN that uses its own DNS servers to avoid getting caught by DStv.
- Unblocking ability: The best VPN for getting DStv in the US should easily bypass DStv’s geo-restrictions and also work with other platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and more.
- Fast speed: The VPN should offer fast connection speeds so you can stream DStv shows in HD quality without buffering or lags.
- Compatibility: The best VPN for DStv should be compatible with various devices so you can stream on any device you want.
- Security features: The VPN you pick should offer top-of-the-line security features such as a kill switch and DNS leak protection for online privacy.
- 24/7 customer support: There should be customer support available 24/7 so you can get instant help in case of any DStv issues.
- Money-back guarantee: The VPN should offer at least a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free with DStv in USA.
How to Sign up for DStv in the US (outside South Africa)
If you are new to DStv and haven’t signed up for it yet, follow these steps to sign up for DStv in the US:
- Subscribe to a VPN service like ExpressVPN and download it on your device.
- Launch the VPN app and log in
- Connect to a South African server from the list of servers.
- Once the connection is established, go to DStv Now.
- Create your DStv account, for that, you will need a South African Number, but for payment, you can use your local credit card. After you have created your account, you can start streaming in the US.
DStv Pricing and Plans
One of the best things about DStv is its flexible pricing, as there is a plan for everyone according to their needs. You can pay for DStv with your American credit card or local credit cards outside South Africa.
You can choose the package you want and won’t have to pay extra for extra features or content that you don’t want. DStv offers the following packages:
- Premium Package at R 819
- Compact Plus at R 529
- Compact at R 399
- Family at R 279
- Access at R 110
- EasyView at R 29
- Indian at R 395
How to install DStv app in USA (outside South Africa)
If you go to App Store or Google Play Store, you will not be able to find DStv app because it is only available for users in South Africa.
Follow these steps below to download DStv app on your Android and iOS devices:
Install DStv app on Android
- Get a VPN with servers in South Africa (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Install and download the VPN app on your Android device.
- Connect to South Africa server.
- Go to Google Play Store > click Account > Add Another Account.
- Enter New Gmail ID with South Africa as your region.
- Go to Play Store and search for DStv > Click to download.
Install DStv app on iOS
- Get a VPN with servers in South Africa (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Install and download the VPN app on your iOS device
- Connect to South Africa server
- Go to App Store > click Apple ID
- Go to Country/ Region and change it to South Africa
- Go to App Store and search for DStv > Click to download.
Can I Use a Free VPN to watch DStv Online in the US?
We don’t recommend using Free VPNs for DStv in the US. First, free VPNs don’t offer servers in South Africa, so they will not unblock DStv for abroad. The same can be said for other international geo-blocked streaming services like DAZN, TF1, Voot, and more.
Similarly, free VPNs in the US are not safe as they log user data and sell it to third-party advertisers.
Research showed that almost 40% of the free VPNs were found to leak data, thus comprising your online security.
With a paid, premium VPN, you don’t have to worry about such issues and risks. You can use ExpressVPN free for 30 days as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can cancel to get a refund.
List of popular content on DStv
Here is a couple of top content to watch on DStv in the USA using a VPN in 2021:
- Meet the cast of Black Tax Season 2
- Scenes from a Marriage
- Black Tax S1-2
- Meet the cast of Legacy Seasons 1-2
- Legacy S1-2
- Tenet (2020)
- The Good Doctor S1-4
- The Block Australia 2020
- The Rookie S1-3
- Hacks S1
- Run (2020)
- Meet the cast of Suidooster
- Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist S1-2
- A Million Little Things S1-3
- Elders: Namibia
- Meet the cast of Reyka
- Reyka S1
- Boer Soek ‘n Vrou S14
Streaming DStv in the US: FAQs
What channels can I watch on DStv in the US?
Here are some of the DStv channels you can watch in the US with a VPN:
- Sony Max
- Telly Track
- AfricaMagic Family
- KykNET Nou!
- Newzroom Afrika
Which VPN works with DStv now?
Some of the VPNs that work with DStv are ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN. ExpressVPN is the most powerful VPN with excellent unblocking capability thus easily unblocking DStv in the US and abroad.
Can you watch all channels on DStv now in the USA?
Yes, with a VPN, you can watch all channels on DStv in the US.
Can I use my DStv decoder in another country?
No, you cannot use your DStv decoder in another country, because you have to subscribe to the decoder in its original country. However, if you have a Multichoice account, you can use it in another location in the same country.
Will DStv ever officially come to the USA?
Having DStv officially released in the USA would be awesome. But unfortunately, we don’t see it happening anytime soon. The company has not specified a time frame for expanding DSTv’s services to the USA, or outside South Africa.
How does a VPN bypass DStv’s geo-restrictions?
The way DStv is able to tell where you’re located is through your IP address. An IP address is like your home address, it is uniquely identifiable. So when anyone from the U.S tries to access DStv, the service is immediately able to track the location of the user and blocks them.
But with the help of a VPN, you can easily trick DStv into thinking that you’re actually trying to access it from within South Africa. We recommend using ExpressVPN as it offers works perfectly well with DStv.
To summarize, you can watch DStv in the USA using a VPN. All you need to do is connect to a South African server to change your IP address to South Africa and you will be able to bypass geo-restrictions and stream any content you like.
Our top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It offers 3000+ servers overall in 94 countries. There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
If you like the service, ExpressVPN is offering a limited-time offer of a 3-month FREE subscription on its 12-monthly plan.
If you found this guide informative, you might be interested in checking out other guides too: