- How to enable the NordVPN Kill Switch For Different Platforms?
- What is a VPN Kill Switch and how it works?
- Kill Switch technology of NordVPN
- How to enable the kill switch feature of NordVPN - Indepth Analysis
- For Windows
- For Mac
- For iOS
- NordVPN kill switch android
- NordVPN kill switch Reddit
- Wrapping up!
How to Enable NordVPN kill switch [Step-by-Step Guide]
- Updated: March 27, 2023
- 1 User Reviews
- Gerald Hunt
NordVPN is equipped with a wide range of powerful features that work together to ensure your privacy remains safe and secured on the web.
One of these features is the NordVPN kill switch, which is extremely important to have. A kill switch protects your IP or DNS from leaking to the internet in case your VPN connection drops temporarily.
A leaked IP can defeat the whole purpose of using a VPN in the first place, leaving you exposed to trackers and malicious actors on the web.
NordVPN offers kill switch for both smartphone and desktop apps and it is recommended to keep it enabled at all times. How? See the instructions for each NordVPN app below.
To learn about all the cool features Nord has to offer, check out our NordVPN in-depth review. Even you can get NordVPN’s 30 day trial to test its kill swtich feature too.
Quick Overview – How to enable the NordVPN Kill Switch For Different Platforms
Enable NordVPN Kill Switch [In-depth Analysis] – Other VPNs with Kill Switch
What is a VPN Kill Switch and how it works?
If you’ve searched for “what is a ”, then chances are you have no idea what it is or what it does. The fact that VPN providers label their internet cutoff feature as kill switch makes it even more confusing.
Now I don’t know who came up with the term “Kill switch”, because I would have preferred something slightly less contorted.
A VPN kill switch is an advanced cutoff feature for your internet connection that automatically prevents you from accessing the internet in case your VPN connection abruptly drops.
This feature might not sound pragmatic, however when you consider it only takes a millisecond to expose your identity, a kill switch can be a major life saver.
Now you might be wondering how it works…
Well…online privacy has to do a lot with IPs and a VPN kill switch monitors exactly that. Whenever it detects a change in IP or the status of your VPN connection, a kill switch automatically restricts all in and outbound requests from your network until your VPN connection restores back to normal. Both NordVPN and Surfshark come with an in-built kill switch for maximum security.
Kill Switch technology of NordVPN
Being all about privacy and security, NordVPN offers a built in kill switch feature with their VPN service. Essentially NordVPN offers two versions of its Kill switch feature. One for desktops (Windows & Mac) and other for mobile devices (iOS & Android).
The desktop version of Nord’s kill switch has two options. One is an app kill switch and another is an internet kill switch. The app kill switch restricts certain specified application from connecting to the internet whereas the internet kill switch disables the entire system wide internet connection.
Mobile version of Nord’s kill switch on the other hand is a bit more primitive than its desktop counterpart. In a sense that it doesn’t support selective app killing and is only limited to disabling the system wide internet connection. But, the kill switch feature is available on NordVPN’s iPhone app and Android mobile app.
NordVPN is currently offering a whopping 68% Off on its 2-Year Plan – Starting just at $3.49/mo (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)
Best Alternative VPNs that Offer Kill Switch Feature:
How to enable the kill switch feature of NordVPN
Enabling the kill switch option of NordVPN client is super simple and pretty self-explanatory. However, since you guys are new to the concept of kill switch, I’m going to list the steps below for both desktop and mobile clients.
- Launch the NordVPN Windows application and head on over to the Settings option located at the top next to Map and
- Within the Settings option, select General.
- Now underneath General, scroll down until you see Internet kill switch and App kill switch and choose which ever one you prefer.
- If you choose Internet kill switch, you will be presented with a dialogue box explaining what the feature does. Simply click yes to enable internet kill switch on your Windows machine.
- If you choose App kill switch, you will be presented with a new window, which you can use to select applications you wish to kill in an event of VPN failure.
See also: Best Secure VPN for Windows 10
Enabling the kill switch option on NordVPN’s Mac client is pretty similar to the Windows client I mentioned earlier. However, for the sake of this blog I’m going to list the steps below.
- Launch the application and head on over to
- Now you will see an option for kill Switch.
- Enable it and you should be good to go.
You can also explore the guide of best free VPN for Mac.
To enable kill switch on iOS, follow the steps below. Even NordVPN is on top of the iOS VPN apps of 2022.
- Launch the NordVPN iOS application.
- Head on over to my account and settings by clicking the icon located at the top left.
- Now underneath my settings, you should see an option called kill switch.
- Enable it using the toggle button and you’re done.
NordVPN kill switch android
Enabling android vpn kill switch is a bit different than iOS, which is why I’m going to list the steps below.
- Before you start, you must have a device running Android version 7.0+.
- To enable kill switch, head on over to System Settings and hit More underneath the wireless and networks section.
- Now tap on VPN to see NordVPN and all the other VPN clients installed on your device.
- Now tap the gear icon next to NordVPN, and switch on “Always-on VPN”.
NordVPN kill switch Reddit
Even though NordVPN’s kill switch is quite powerful, the provider is not very consistent with this feature. By that I mean… NordVPN offers two application just for Mac OS. One is available on the iTunes store while the other is available on Nord’s website. What’s even more confusing is that both applications has different versions of kill witch.
I found one Reddit comment, which better explains the conflicting kill switch of Nord.
As if the redundant Mac apps we’re not enough, another Redditer couldn’t find the kill switch feature in the Nord’s Android app.
Kill switch from nordvpn
Furthermore, have a look at the best Reddit VPNs of 2022.
Consumers use VPN services for all sorts of reasons. However, one thing they all have in common is a concern for privacy. Whether it’s for torrenting with NordVPN or just browsing geo-restricted sites, the need to stay anonymous is more crucial than ever.
Even though robust VPN providers like Nord offer a Kill switch feature with their VPN service, most users don’t know what a NordVPN kill switch is or how they can enable it. This is why I have covered all the aspects of NordVPN’s kill switch in this blog, which should help you stay more secure from now on.
First, my internet speeds with Nord active are less than HALF what they are when Nord is off. But I’m willing to take the hit in speed for secure privacy.
The second problem is Nord deactivates throughout the day even on my hard connection (ethernet) computer. Nord’s customer service hasn’t been able to help.
The third problem is the very major one that will cause me NOT to rejoin Nord when my subscription is up. I’ve discovered that even with the kill switch supposedly active, Nord disconnects BUT ALLOWS MY INTERNET TRAFFIC TO CONTINUE DISCLOSED. That is an absolute no-no for a VPN service. Nothing else matters if the service fails, without anticipation, and does exactly what it’s not supposed to–allow others to see your traffic.
Worst of all, no company (and this has happened with the other big VPN players) will accept responsibility for this when it happens. So you’re paying for a service you MIGHT get only. If the stakes are low, I might swallow that. But when the stakes are very high, “might” isn’t nearly good enough.