Windows phones get a lot of bad press due to lack of support for apps. But support and functionality has nothing to do with privacy issues which are prevalent on the web irrespective of the phone you are using.
So, to ensure maximum privacy and security on your Windows Phone, you need a VPN.
Windows phone users must resort to the use of VPN services as the solution to the privacy gaps that exist on the internet and for good reason, considering the secure tunneling protocols these services utilize.
On that note, here’s a list of 5 best VPN services for Windows Phone:
- PureVPN: Best VPN for windows phones. Has wide network of servers with exceptional unblocking capability and privacy.
- Ivacy: All-around strong VPN for bypassing geo-restrictions on streaming apps and maximizing privacy on Windows Phone.
- ExpressVPN: Expensive VPN for Windows phones. Offers outstanding all-around privacy protection for Windows devices.
- CyberGhost: Decent low cost Windows Phone VPN. Offers average speed and strong privacy features.
- IPVanish: Good range of privacy features with average unblocking capability.
- NordVPN: Excellent privacy features coupled with powerful servers for restriction-bypassing on windows phones.
PureVPN is the recommended choice as a VPN for Windows Phone because of its diverse server network, top-notch privacy features, and affordable pricing.
If you are a desktop user, you can read this article about top VPNs for desktop PC for an in-depth discussion about PC-specific VPNs.
Best Windows Phone VPNs
The following VPN services offer dedicated app for Windows Phone and possess valuable features for boosting privacy and internet access:
PureVPN is one of the pioneering VPN brands in the industry. Although the service has struggled with controversies in the past, it has evolved into one of the leading competitors in the industry today.
PureVPN supports L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, SSTP, IKEv2, and OpenVPN tunneling protocols. Windows Phone supports the first four of these, so you can easily run this VPN on it.
The 2,000+ servers distributed in more than 140 countries is an excellent range for users who want to bypass censorship and restrictions, while the AES-256 bit encryption and no-logging policy ensures your safety and privacy on the web.
As such, PureVPN is a natural choice for any user seeking online freedom and privacy on their Windows Phone. Due to its extremely low prices, it is the best inexpensive VPN we found so far.
- Good variety of server locations
- Supports multiple VPN protocols
- Strong encryption
- Zero-logging policy
- No support through dedicated app for Windows
Ivacy is an all-around efficient VPN service known for unblocking streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Ivacy supports 3 protocols for Windows phone: OpenVPN, L2TP, and IKEv2. The provider offers 1,000+ servers in 100+ countries which allow users to change server locations at will.
For encryption, it uses AES 256, which is one of the strongest encryption standards out there. As such, if you want to bypass geo-restrictions on websites while using your Windows Phone, Ivacy is a highly reliable VPN provider.
- Fast speeds
- Unblocks many streaming service
- Zero-logging policy
- Based in Singapore (cooperative member of Five Eyes)
ExpressVPN requires no introduction. It is the largest brand in the industry with millions of subscribers all over the world.
The VPN supports various VPN protocols and is known for its fast servers. As a subscriber to this VPN, I have never experienced any difficulty in unblocking Netflix, streaming content, and bypassing censored sites so it would be safe to say that it is a great option for streaming with VPN.
The 2,000 servers sufficiently cater to the large requirements of its huge customer base, delivering outstanding performance across all major platforms, including Windows Phone.
- Fast server speeds
- Excellent cross-platform compatibility
- Unblocks pretty much everything
- Supports only 3 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost is synonymous with private browsing and top-notch privacy. It provides all the industry standard features that the leading providers are known for including AES-256 bit encryption, multiple tunneling protocols, and no-logging policy.
But one of its USPs is the 7 simultaneous connections for multiple devices.
In terms of server size, CyberGhost is mighty impressive with its list of 3,000+ servers in 60+ locations.
You’ll have no problem unblocking torrent sites and Netflix of any region with this VPN running hot in your Windows Phone.
- Strong server infrastructure
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Supports P2P networking
- Good customer support
- Average speeds
IPVanish is another veteran VPN service provider in this market. Established in 2012, the VPN uses strong encryption to protect user data from getting into the hands of snoopers and hackers.
The service can unblock Netflix with no fuss and is one of the best VPNs for torrenting.
So, if you’re looking for a secure and private torrenting solution, IPVanish will be there for you.
- Supports torrenting
- Solid encryption
- Decent speeds
- Based in US
NordVPN is another veteran VPN service provider in the market that has the distinction of offering the largest network of servers with 5,500+ servers.
It uses military-grade VPN encryption and shows a strong commitment to protecting privacy of users. The service pays heavy emphasis on security with features such as Double VPN.
NordVPN supports Windows Phone users if you use its L2TP protocol. It offers the best value for money alongside a generous 30-day money-back guarantee and support for pretty much every purpose that a VPN is used for.
- Largest server network in the industry
- Robust encryption features
- Supports torrenting
- Privacy-friendly terms of service
- Not all servers work fast
Selecting VPN for Windows Phone – Key Criteria
A VPN must have the following characteristics to be considered good enough for privacy protection and counter online restrictions:
- Server network: The size of the server infrastructure and their geographical spread are important factors that determine the overall performance, speed, and stability of the VPN
- Tunneling protocols: Windows unfortunately lacks native support for OpenVPN protocol. This limit your choice to only those VPNs which have L2TP, IKEv2, PPTP, or SSTP support
- Speed: VPNs invariably have a negative effect on your connection speed. But this effect varies depending on the VPN. The service that has the most negligible effect on speed naturally has an edge over alternatives
- Price: Probably the one factor that every individual naturally takes into account before making a purchase. The lower the better, of course; but make sure that the lower prices don’t come at the cost of quality or performance
To set up a VPN on Windows Phones, you’ll need to get inside the operating system itself and tinker with a few settings. This is because there are hardly any VPN providers that have a dedicated app for Windows Phone, so manual configuration is the only way to go.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Your Windows Phone?
The security and privacy issues in Windows operating systems is an open secret. Everyone knows about the cybersecurity lapses in all Windows versions that led to the .
These problems raise valid concerns for users because privacy is a human right. While VPN services can’t protect you from all the myriad ways that your privacy can be compromised, they do create hurdles for anyone that has the audacity to chase your digital footprint around the web and peep on your activities and personal data.
And VPNs have broader application than simply as privacy tools. For instance, VPNs:
- Bypass geo-restrictions commonly encountered on steaming sites like Hulu Netflix, and HBO
- Access censored websites around the world
- Avoid bandwidth throttling
- Torrent securely
- Encrypt your traffic
- Boost online privacy
These are substantial benefits that are especially of note for Windows users. Considering that most leading providers are cheap and affordable, you should get one without entertaining any second thoughts.
You can also get these benefits with the help of iPhone 7 VPN if you’re an iOS user.
Choosing the Right VPN Protocol
VPN tunneling protocols define the means by which your data communicate to the web, with all the accompanying encryption algorithms and communication standards.
Currently, OpenVPN is widely accepted as the most cryptographically sound and performance-wise stable tunneling protocol in the VPN industry.
However, being an open-source protocol, Windows does not have native support for OpenVPN. As such, you need third-party clients like the OpenVPN GUI to configure your VPN to run on this protocol.
Unfortunately, OpenVPN GUI is not available for Windows Phone devices. This leaves users with only PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, and SSTP as the possible protocol options.
I would strongly advise you to give wide berth to PPTP, as this a well outdated protocol that is replete with security vulnerabilities.
Whenever possible, you should use the IKEv2 protocol for your Windows Phone, as it is the fastest and most secure protocol for mobiles. You may also use L2TP/IPSec and SSTP.
You should consult you VPN provider for the best option that fits your requirements.
Free VPN for Windows Phone, worthy or not?
Technically speaking, free VPNs are not worth using with Windows phones. Since free VPNs are known to mine user data for third-party advertisements, you can never trust a free VPN with your privacy.
To truly secure your Windows Phone, you must only use reliable paid VPNs like the ones mentioned above.
Windows Phones could not penetrate the market the same way iOS and Android have. This doesn’t mean that the small number of users don’t have the right to protect their privacy online and access the web with minimal barriers to access.
With a VPN for Windows Phone, you can attain the privacy and access you deserve. So go ahead, pick one, and surf the web with the peace of mind that your privacy is no longer at the mercy of surveillance agencies.