Windows phones get a lot of bad press due to a lack of support for apps. But support and functionality have nothing to do with privacy issues that are prevalent on the web irrespective of the phone you are using.
So, to ensure maximum privacy and security on your Windows Mobile, you need the best VPN for Windows Phone. However, most providers do not offer a dedicated app for Windows 10 Mobile or Windows 8.1. But you can still configure most VPNs manually on Windows handsets.
We have tested dozens of VPNs and our #1 recommendation is ExpressVPN as it is compatible with a wide range of devices, including Windows phone and has the fastest speeds that we have tested on Windows devices.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
If you don’t want to invest too much, here are some free windows VPN apps.
6 Best VPNs for Windows 10 & 8.1 Mobiles
Here are the top 6 VPNs that work with Windows phones.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Windows Phone
ExpressVPN is one of the largest VPN brands based in the British Virgin Islands. The provider adheres to a zero-logging policy to protect users from surveillance and data logging that many governments normally engage in. The 3,000+ servers sufficiently cater to the large requirements of its huge customer base, delivering outstanding performance across all major platforms, including Windows Phone.
This service supports various VPN protocols including PPTP and L2TP and is known for its fast servers, especially among users of Windows smartphones. However, like most providers, you will have to set up ExpressVPN manually on your device.
As a subscriber to this VPN, I have never experienced any difficulty in unblocking Netflix, streaming content, and bypassing censored sites so it would be safe to say that it is a great option for streaming with VPN. In addition, all ExpressVPN servers support p2p activities, catering to the needs of Windows mobile users that download files through torrents. The provider has received numerous accolades for its service, such as in this review.
The provider costs $6.67/mo and comes with a 30-day refund policy.
- Fast server speeds
- Excellent cross-platform compatibility
- Unblocks pretty much everything
- Supports only 5 simultaneous connections
2. NordVPN – Speedy Windows App
NordVPN offers 5500+ servers in 50+ countries and supports L2TP, IKEv2, and SSTP protocols, all of which are compatible with Windows devices.
You can access the most popular streaming services as well as torrent websites safely on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 mobiles using NordVPN. This includes support for Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
It uses military-grade AES-256 encryption and its Panama-based jurisdiction that the provider refrains from logging any customer-related information. The service pays heavy emphasis on security with features such as Double VPN, CyberSec, and Onion over VPN. These features are highly praised in this review.
However, the provider doesn’t offer many details on the setup process on Windows phones, but there are third-party tutorials available for setup using L2TP. At the cost of $3.30/mo , it is a decent VPN to have if you’re a privacy-conscious user with Windows OS on your phone.
- Largest server network in the industry
- Robust encryption features
- Supports torrenting
- Privacy-friendly terms of service
- Not all servers work fast
3. PIA – Powerful VPN for Windows
PIA is a natural choice for any user seeking online freedom and privacy on their Windows Phone. It supports L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, SSTP, IKEv2, and OpenVPN tunneling protocols. Windows Phone supports the first four of these, so you can easily run this VPN on it.
The 23000+ servers distributed in more than 77+ countries are an excellent range for users who want to bypass censorship and restrictions, while the AES-256 bit encryption and no-logging policy ensures your safety and privacy on the web. The VPN is located in the United States, and is valued and positively rated by users and reviewers alike.
IPVanish has excellent compatibility with the Netflix app and also supports torrenting. Overall, it is the best choice for Windows Phone users who need privacy along with restriction-free internet access. When you factor in the price of $3.33/mo , there’s no room for debate why it should be your top choice if you’re looking for a VPN. Due to its extremely low prices, it is the best inexpensive VPN we found so far.
If you are a desktop user, you can read this article about top VPNs for desktop PC for an in-depth discussion about PC-specific VPNs.
- Good variety of server locations
- Supports multiple VPN protocols
- Strong encryption
- Zero-logging policy
- A few servers may be slow
4. CyberGhost – Unblocks Netflix on any Windows Phone
CyberGhost offers a mighty impressive list of 6,600+ servers in 89+ locations. It provides all the industry-standard features that the leading providers are known for including AES-256 bit encryption, multiple tunneling protocols including L2TP and PPTP, and a no-logging policy. You can manually set up CyberGhost on Windows phones to immediately start accessing different regions of Netflix and as well as torrenting websites.
The VPN is based in Romania and benefits from the highly privacy-oriented laws of the country. As such, it refrains from logging the private information of customers. But one of its USPs is the 7 simultaneous connections for multiple devices. So, if Windows phone isn’t the only device you keep around, you can use the same CyberGhost account to connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
- Strong server infrastructure
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Supports P2P networking
- Good customer support
- Average speeds
5. IPVanish – Secure VPN for Windows Phone
IPVanish offers over 1,600 servers in 75+ locations. The provider doesn’t have a dedicated app for Windows handheld devices but supports manual setup. This VPN is very good for unblocking sports streaming channels such as ESPN and bEIN Sports on smartphones running Windows 8.1 or higher. However, it fails to work with streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer.
You can, however, download some torrents on some IPVanish servers, but since the company is based in the US, it isn’t recommended for P2P purposes. The logging policy is also a little vague, which makes it less than ideal for Windows users who normally require strong privacy protection.
- Supports torrenting
- Solid encryption
- Decent speeds
- Based in US
6. VyprVPN – Reliable choice for Windows Handsets
VyprVPN is an all-around efficient VPN service known for unblocking streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. VyprVPN supports multiple protocols for Windows phones including OpenVPN, L2TP, and IKEv2. Like most VPNs do not offer dedicated VPN apps for Windows Phone, you will need to set up VyprVPN manually too on your Windows mobile. The provider offers 700+ servers in 70+ countries which allow users to change server locations at will.
The service offers fast server speeds which enable quick torrent downloads as well as seamless streaming. The provider is based in Switzerland and follows a no-logging policy to guarantee privacy to its subscribers. As such, it is one of the most highly rated providers available for the low cost of $1.66/mo.
For encryption, it uses AES 256, which is one of the strongest encryption standards out there. As such, if you want to bypass geo-restrictions on websites while using your Windows Phone, VyprVPN is a highly reliable VPN provider.
- Compatible with Windows phone
- Unblocks many streaming services
- Zero-logging policy
- Some servers might offer slow speeds
Selecting VPN for Windows Phone – Key Criteria
A VPN must have the following characteristics to be considered good enough for privacy protection and counter online restrictions:
- Server network: The size of the server infrastructure and their geographical spread are important factors that determine the overall performance, speed, and stability of the VPN
- Tunneling protocols: Windows, unfortunately, lacks native support for OpenVPN protocol. This limit your choice to only those VPNs which have L2TP, IKEv2, PPTP, or SSTP support
- Speed: VPNs invariably have a negative effect on your connection speed. But this effect varies depending on the VPN. The service that has the most negligible effect on speed naturally has an edge over alternatives
- Price: Probably the one factor that every individual naturally takes into account before making a purchase. The lower the better, of course; but make sure that the lower prices don’t come at the cost of quality or performance
Setting up a VPN on Windows Phone – Complete Process
To set up a VPN on Windows Phones, you’ll need to get inside the operating system itself and tinker with a few settings. This is because there are only a few VPN providers that offer a dedicated app for Windows 10 & 8.1 handsets, so manual configuration is the only way to go in most cases.
Before following the instructions below, note that it is recommended to use IKEv2, SSTP, or L2TP. Also, make sure you know server addresses and your username/password before performing the steps below.
Setting up VPN on Windows 10 Handset:
- Enter the Settings menu and tap VPN
- Press the ‘+’ sign to add a VPN connection.
- Tap on Windows (built-in) under VPN provider.
- Give a name to the VPN connection (you can choose any name you want).
- Type in a server address as given by your provider.
- Choose a VPN protocol. We recommend L2TP/IPSec or IKEv2.
- Type in the pre-shared key as given by your provider.
- Choose Username and password in the Type of sign-in info drop-down menu
- Enter your username and password.
- Tap Remember my sign-in info to remember your login for the future.
- Press Save.
- Go back to the VPN menu and tap on the profile you just created to connect to the VPN.
Setting up VPN on Windows 8.1 Handset:
- Go to Settings > Network & Wireless > VPN.
- Turn the VPN status to On and press the ‘+’ sign at the bottom.
- Type the server address given to you by the provider.
- Select the VPN type for the connection you wish to create. We recommend L2TP, SSTP, or IKEv2.
- Press Connect using and enter your login credentials.
- Tap Send all traffic to turn it on
- Choose a profile name. You can pick any name you want.
- Press Save
- Go back to the VPN menu and tap the VPN connecting appearing with your chosen name to turn it on.
- Repeat this process to add more server locations. Swipe down on the top notification bar and click Settings
Why do you need a VPN for your Windows phone?
While VPN services can’t protect you from all the myriad ways that your privacy can be compromised, they do create hurdles for anyone that has the audacity to chase your digital footprint around the web and peep on your activities and personal data.
And VPNs have broader applications than simply as privacy tools. For instance, the best VPN for Windows phone can:
- Bypass geo-restrictions commonly encountered on streaming sites like Hulu Netflix, and HBO
- Access censored websites around the world
- Avoid bandwidth throttling
- Torrent securely
- Encrypt your traffic
- Boost online privacy
You might also need a VPN free for PC. If yes, then use our guide for the best free VPNs for PC.
Avoid these VPNs for Windows Phone
This VPN does not support security protocols except for OpenVPN and PPTP. OpenVPN protocols are not compatible with Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. While PPTP protocol offers 128-bit encryption which is lower than industry-standard 256-bit.
This VPN exclusively offers the OpenVPN protocol which practically means that it’s not compatible with Windows phones. Therefore, getting this VPN would be completely useless.
FAQs – Best VPN for Windows Phones
What is the best VPN for Windows Phone?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Windows Mobile. This VPN offers 3000+ servers and some top-notch security features including a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, multiple security protocols, and a strict no-logging policy so users can access anything anonymously while being safe.
Can I use a free VPN on my Windows Phone?
A free VPN on a Windows phone is one dangerous choice. You might find it one hassle-free option, but you’re only going to be gambling on your privacy on this one. Free VPNs do not offer the security they claim. They secretly collect your data and sell it to third parties to get some cash. Let’s not forget the limited amount of servers and data caps. You’ll barely be able to access anything with them. Therefore, a free option for Windows phones is a big no.
How can I encrypt my Windows Phone?
You can encrypt your Windows phone using these steps:
1. Swipe to visit the All Apps screen from the Start menu.
2. Visit Settings and click ‘System’.
3. Turn on ‘device encryption’ after scrolling down.
4. You will be immediately directed to create a screen lock PIN if you don’t already have one.
Your internet activities are not the only thing you need to encrypt. You should also encrypt your Windows phone so no one can ever break-in. You can easily do this by using the steps above.
This puts an end to our list of the best Windows phone VPN. Our regular contact with multiple VPN providers and occasional testing has given us the ability to recommend the best VPN services for all devices and streaming services at all times.
Therefore, we’ve mentioned the most effective VPNs for Windows phones. However, the best VPN for Windows Phone and our solid pick is ExpressVPN. This VPN offers secure connections, fast speeds, and a 3-month free subscription on its annual plan for users to enjoy at all times.