Argentina is a country that boasts a high degree of online freedom and minimal obstacles to Internet access. So, why should you be considering getting a VPN for Argentina? Geo-restrictions is one of the main reasons that pertains particularly to travelers visiting the country.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at how free Argentina really is when it comes to the Internet and why you might actually need a VPN in the country.
Internet in Argentina
The accessibility of the Internet in Argentina can be glimpsed from the fact that no other country in Latin America has a higher rate of penetration than Argentina (70%). This is in spite of the fact that mobile phones and broadband prices are not exactly cheap in the county.
Censorship on the web is almost non-existent in Argentina. However, there have been instances of concerted trolling campaigns on Twitter against certain activists and journalists, but that’s about it.
The legislation for user privacy protection is some of the strongest in Argentina. No authority in Argentina can legally conduct surveillance of users’ online activities without first obtaining a warrant.
Thus, Argentina protects the freedom of speech and privacy of users in almost every way. This is more than can be said for most countries.
Having said that, hackers and cybercriminals are present everywhere. Users in Argentina have been victims of cybercrime in the past. For instance, the Wi-Fi of a Starbucks outlet in Buenos Aires was cryptojacked, so that any device connected to it was being mined for bitcoins.
Furthermore, if you are traveling to Argentina, you likely won’t be able to access many of the websites and streaming services that you use back home. This is because of geo-restrictions that lock sites within certain regions only.
For both of these problems i.e. cybercrime and geo-restrictions, VPN services present a ready solution.
5 Best Argentina VPNs for Security + Unblocking Capability
VPN services can bypass geo-restrictions by changing your IP address as it is visible to your ISP and other third parties. Geo-restricted websites allow access to users on the basis of their IP address, which shows the country where the user is visiting the website from.
Using a VPN, you can change your IP address and access sites blocked for access in Argentina. At the same time, it offers encryption for protecting you from cybercriminals.
But which VPNs should you choose for Argentina?
Here are my top 5 recommendations:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 74% Off |
Exclusive Discount 2 years Plan
| 79% Off |
3 Years Deal
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 75% Off |
3 Years Plan
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
Headquartered in Hong Kong, PureVPN operates widely distributed network of 2,000 severs in more than 140 countries. This VPN is suited for Argentina because it combines strong unblocking capabilities with robust encryption for keeping hackers at bay.
PureVPN works with Netflix anywhere in the world, including Argentina. This makes it a good choice if unblocking streaming is your primary concern. A single subscription lets you simultaneously connect to 5 devices. It is compatible with a wide most devices and platforms.
The AES-256 encryption and wide availability of major protocol (IKEv2, OpenVPN, SSTP, etc.) is a particularly strong combination for security. This is why you can rely on PureVPN to guard yourself from cybercriminals in Argentina.
- 2,000+ servers geographically distributed in 140+ countries
- Offers OpenVPN, IKEv2, SSTP, PPTP, and L2TP protocols
- Money refund policy for 31 days
- Establishing connection might take multiple attempts
With a network of 5,000+ servers, no other VPN comes to NordVPN in terms of server size. There are 12 servers located in Argentina, all of which are strongly encrypted using technologies such as Double VPN and Cybersec.
- Excellent security features (CyberSec, Double VPN)
- Huge server network of 5,000+ servers
- Enabling double VPN can affect server speeds
The British Virgin Island based Surfshark is an excellent package for boosting overall security and privacy. The provider uses AES-256 bit encryption, IP masking, DNS leak protection, kill switch, and a built-in ad and malware blocker.
In short: everything you need to ensure your online security in Argentina. It is also exceptionally effective at unblocking restricted websites like US Netflix. So, if there are some Netflix shows you aren’t getting in Argentina, connect to a Surfshark US server. Problem solved!
At the time of this writing, you can avail all of these features for a mere $1.99 per month. Yep, this is a deal of fairy tale proportions.
- Supports unlimited devices
- Strong set of security mechanisms
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, etc.
- Relatively small server sizes
CyberGhost is a Romanian VPN provider that is suited for almost every purpose you wish to use a VPN for: streaming, torrenting, security, and unblocking websites. If you are visiting Argentina and are concerned about being unable to login to sites that are only available in your country, then CyberGhost can take care of this problem with a single click.
The 7 simultaneous connections and good user-interface are additional features which make this VPN a desirable option for user. However, there are better options than this VPN to connect to Argentina if your primary aim is to gain security.
- 3,043 servers in 61 countries
- Supports torrents
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Average speeds
ExpressVPN is the all-rounder in the world of VPNs. From speed to security, it has everything you can look for in a VPN for countries like Argentina. Its military grade encryption rules out the possibility of brute-force attacks compromising the security of your data and/or devices.
The no-log policy and automatic kill switch are additional features that are particularly important for users seeking security, such as those worried about the invasion of public Wi-Fi from potential cybercriminals in Argentina.
ExpressVPN is also extremely efficient when it comes to streaming content such as Hulu and Netflix, irrespective of your location. If you can bear the high cost of this VPN, then there is very little chance you will regret it for use in Argentina.
- Fast servers
- Military-grade security
- Supports only 3 simultaneous connections
Why You Need a VPN in Argentina?
The fact that Argentina is committed to protecting the right of citizens to online privacy and freedom of speech implies that people might not really a need a VPN in the country after all.
That may be true, but the fact is that there are still a couple of good reasons for using a VPN in Argentina:
- Bypass geo-restrictions: The problem of geo-restrictions is something that all streaming enthusiasts are familiar with. You might be a fan of US Netflix and Hulu but have no way of getting these services in Argentina. If that’s the case, simply flip the switch on your VPN and you can gain instant access to these geo-restricted sites.
- Enhanced security: The dangerous thing about cybercrime is that it is not bound by borders: it is present everywhere including Argentina. Thus, no amount of security is too much when it comes to protecting yourself from the increasingly sophisticated attacks of cybercriminals. VPNs use strong encryption to enhance your security from potential intrusions by hackers.
How to Choose the Right VPN for Argentina?
The following are some of the key features that you must bear in mind when shopping for an Argentine VPN:
- Protocols and Encryption: Protocol and encryption matter when you come down to brass tacks. Make sure that OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols are available at the minimum and you have got at least 256-bit encryption to keep hackers away.
- Server spread: A large server network directly translates into better performance and speeds, because there is less chance of any given server being overcrowded by a large number of users.
- Plans and Pricing: Ensure that the plans and pricing are affordable and do not place limitations on using/switching between the VPN servers and bandwidth.
- Connection Speeds: Connection speed plays a crucial role in determining the quality of a VPN. Make sure the VPN offers fast enough speeds to support functions such as streaming and torrenting. Check out the fastest VPNs for more information.
- Device/Platform Compatibility & Tutorials: This factor is critical if you plan on using your VPN subscription over multiple platforms and devices.
Popular Argentina-based Streaming Services
Argentina is fortunate in that a lot of the popular streaming apps and services are available in the country. These include:
- Google Play Music
- Apple Music
A VPN with Argentina IP can get you access to all these services. There is, however, a catch with Netflix. Although it is available in Argentina, you won’t be getting the full range of titles that are present in the US Netflix library. To gain access to that, you must use a VPN that has been tested to unblock US Netflix.
VPNs for Other South American Countries
Argentina deserves a lot of praise for its commitment to preserving freedom of speech and protecting user privacy. Nonetheless, there is no easy relief from the persistent threats posed by cybercriminals in the country that makes spending in a secure VPN a valuable investment.
Coupled with the ability of top-rated Argentina VPNs to bypass geo-restrictions on sites like Netflix, there is no reason why you should delay getting one today.