Nowadays, VPNs have become absolutely crucial for online gamers. With growing DDoS attacks, high pings, bandwidth throttling & geo-blocking, accessing certain games or game servers is nearly impossible without spoofing your location through one of the best VPN for gaming.
To make your life a whole lot easier and help you play online games without interruptions, I’ve come up with an awesome list of best gaming VPNs that I’ve personally tested for Fortnite, PuBG, Blade & Soul, and even Tibia and our top recommendation is ExpressVPN, based on its fast speed servers, with low pings and latency for lag-free gaming.
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Best VPN for Gaming – Quick Overview
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Gaming with blazing-fast connection speeds for lag-free gaming.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for gaming in the industry with prevention against malicious attacks.
- NordVPN – Secure VPN for gaming with 5,400+ servers and built-in DDoS protection for an ultimate gaming experience.
- PureVPN – Balanced VPN for gaming with Port Forwarding for online gamers.
- CyberGhost – Powerful VPN for gaming offering 7,000+ servers with low pings and 7 simultaneous connections.
- Ivacy – Popular VPN for Gaming that offers stable connections and secure VPN server locations.
ExpressVPN is the recommended VPN, keeping in mind the low latencies, fast connection speeds, DDoS protection, and unblocking capabilities of geo-restricted games and servers.
6 Best VPN for Gaming in 2021
Without further ado, here are the 6 best VPN services for gaming in 2021.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Gaming
Just like its name, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPN providers in the industry. This makes gaming on VPN a seamless experience. ExpressVPN offers around 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. Thanks to an awesome network of servers, ExpressVPN delivered 80+ Mbps download speeds on my 100 Mbps connection. Not only that, but ExpressVPN also significantly reduced my pings from 208 ms to 66 ms.
Gaming with ExpressVPN is absolute bliss as it offers easy configuration for routers and no lags, no stutters whatsoever. In addition to snappy performance, the built-in 256-bit encryption is designed to offer powerful protection. Thus, the ExpressVPN gaming experience is amazing.
All this performance does come at a cost. ExpressVPN is not by any means cheap. That said, for a minimal time, you can get ExpressVPN at a 49% Off off the discounted price of $6.67/mo or try Express for free for 30 days. ExpressVPN offers countless payment methods, including bitcoins. ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the best VPN for gamers in 2021.
Curious to know more about ExpressVPN gaming, check out our exclusive review of ExpressVPN.
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- 5 device simultaneous connections
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney +, and more.
- Excellent customer support
- Strict zero-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly more expensive than other VPNs on the list
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Gaming
If you’re looking for a VPN with the highest speed, Surfshark is the perfect choice for you. A newcomer to the industry, Surfshark delivers a lag-free gaming experience that would even put top providers to shame.
Right of the bat, 3,200+ VPN servers in 65+ countries are the heart and soul of Surfshark’s performance. With an average speed of around 81 Mbps and 48 ms pings on my 100 Mbps internet connection, playing games has never been better. Here’s a screenshot of pings with and without Surfshark:
Although you don’t get a separate DDoS protection feature with Surfshark, Surfshark can easily protect you from frustrated gamers and snoops alike, thanks to powerful encryption and security protocols.
But perhaps the most eye-catching thing about Surfshark is its price. With an 81% Offdiscount, you can get Surfshark for $2.49/mo. At this price point, Surfshark is perhaps one of the top VPN for gaming you can opt for today. To learn more about this service provider and its 30-day money-back guarantee, check out our in-depth review of Surfshark or opt for Surfshark’s free trial to test it yourself.
- 3,200+ servers in 65 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Zero-log policy
- AES-256 bit encryption
- CleanWeb, Multi-Hop, Whitelistner features
- Limited P2P servers for torrenting
- Customer support live chat is inconsistent
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN for Gaming
Another cool service you can choose is NordVPN. Known as a behemoth in the industry, NordVPN is good at playing games and streaming and privacy thanks to features like Port Forwarding.
NordVPN is one VPN provider that offers servers in pretty much every part of the world. In fact, no other provider in its class offers such an extensive server park. At present, you can select their 5500+ optimized servers in 59 countries worldwide.
Another notable feature that NordVPN offers is its double encryption. That said, While a double encryption system might offer impenetrable security, gamers might find the connection speed to be rather slow at times. NordVPN even offers built-in DDoS protection specifically geared towards gamers.
When it comes to actual speeds, NordVPN is not the greatest. I managed to get about 65 Mbps to download and 78 ms pings on average. I’ve extensively covered the speeds of NordVPN in my NordVPN review. Perhaps you might find it useful.
Lastly, NordVPN’s subscription plan prices are very reasonable and designed to cater to every user’s needs. At its cheapest, NordVPN will only cost you $3.30/mo and also include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 5,500+ servers in 59 countries
- Top-notch security and encryption
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Onion Over VPN, Double VPN, and CyberSec
- No-log policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some servers take too long to connect to
- The desktop app is sluggish
4. PureVPN – Balanced VPN for Gaming
Thanks to PureVPN’s affordable DDoS protection, it is probably the best VPN you can use. In fact, PureVPN offers DDoS protection directly on the IP level instead of server level like most other VPNs.
Moreover, PureVPN offers fast speed and reduced pings which are best-suited for online gaming. In fact, after connecting to a US server and comparing pings, I managed to reduce my pings from 206 milliseconds to just 58 milliseconds.
PureVPN provides 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries, so online gamers can join any global tournament. It also offers Port Forwarding, which is necessary for online gamers to use PCs, Xbox One, or PS4.
As far as speed tests are concerned, PureVPN offers blazing fast connection speeds and prevents ISP throttling. PureVPN comes built-in with powerful encryption, OpenVPN, and 256-AES for an ultimate gaming experience in terms of performance. With only $3.33/mo, PureVPN is truly the best low-cost VPN service. Due to its easy-to-use android application, PureVPN is regarded as the best VPN for gaming on Android devices.
PureVPN offers dedicated IP addresses for lag-free gaming and supports mobile (Android iOS), router, Linux, Windows macOS, and offers even browser extensions even more impressively. For a more in-depth look at PureVPN, makes sure you check out the PureVPN review.
- 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- 10 devices simultaneously
- 256-bit military-grade encryption
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and BBC iPlayer
- No ad-blocker
- Some servers are slow
- Limited payment methods
5. CyberGhost – Powerful VPN for Gaming
Last up on my list; we have CyberGhost. This provider falls in the sweet spot between NordVPN and ExpressVPN. CyberGhost is a trusted VPN provider that uses bank-grade encryption protocols to secure your gaming devices such as Xbox, PlayStation, or PC. It is an easy-to-use VPN with specifically designed apps for various platforms. Console gamers can buy a pre-configured VPN router rather than protect their online identity.
With 6500+ servers alone in 89 countries, CyberGhost towers most small providers. But it’s not all about numbers; speed also matters a lot. Thankfully, CyberGhost offers punchy performance and excellent Ping reduction. There’s hardly any lag, and it rarely ever abruptly disconnects, which is perfect for playing action-packed games.
As far as security and privacy features are concerned, you get powerful encryption, kill switch, and excellent app compatibility across most mainstream platforms. But that’s not all; there are tons of other amazing features that CyberGhost offers for just $1.99/mo, which is covered in our CyberGhost review.
- 7,000+ servers in over 91 countries
- AES-256-bit encryption
- Allows 7 simultaneous connections
- Separate modes for gaming, torrenting, and streaming
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No advanced features
- Occasionally slow server speeds
6. Ivacy – Popular VPN for Gaming
If you haven’t heard of Ivacy yet, you’re seriously missing out. This is the only VPN service that has partnered up GamersOrigin’s to offer zero bandwidth throttling and powerful DDoS protection for online gamers.
Not only that, but Ivacy also offers over 3,500 servers in 100+ locations worldwide to help you unblock any gaming title of your choice. Aside from offering excellent unblocking capabilities, Ivacy is also extremely efficient at reducing pings. With Ivacy connected to a US server, I reduced my pings from 216 ms to 75 ms.
Ivacy is quite nimble in terms of speeds, and I managed to achieve around 75+ Mbps download speeds with my 100 Mbps connection. Besides offering top-notch performance, Ivacy is quite affordable, only at costing $1/mo. For more information about Ivacy, read out in-depth review. Ivacy is also known as the best VPN for gaming on iOS devices.
- 3,500 servers located in 100+ countries
- AES-256-bit encryption
- No-log policy
- 10 devices simultaneous connections
- Headquarter in Singapore
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- Kill Switch on Windows only
- Low speeds in many locations
Comparing the best VPNs for online gamers
|Jurisdiction||The British Virgin Islands||The British Virgin Islands||Panama||HongKong||Romania||Singapore|
|Security||AES 256 Bit||AES 256 Bit||AES 256 Bit||AES 256 Bit||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit|
|Leaks||No IP, DNS & WebRTC||No IP, DNS & WebRTC||No IP, DNS & WebRTC||No IP, DNS & WebRTC||No IP, DNS & WebRTC||No IP, DNS & WebRTC|
|Servers||3,000+ in 94 Countries||3,200+ in 63+ Countries||5,500+ in 59 Countries||6,500+ in 140+ Countries||7,000+ in 91 Countries||3,500+ in 100+ Locations|
|Speed||27.17 Mbps average||27.91 Mbps average||20.15 Mbps average||26.01 Mbps average||17.10 Mbps average||18.71 Mbps average|
|Streaming||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and More|
|Compatibility||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers|
|Trustpilot||4.6/5 – Reviews 7,320||4.3/5 – Reviews 8,863||4.1/5 – Reviews 5,839||4.7/5 – Reviews 12,324||4.8/5 – Reviews 12,483||4.8/5 – Reviews 1,327|
|Best For||Overall Best VPN||Fastest VPN Service||Best for Geo-Unblocking||Best for General Purposes||Best for Private Browsing||Best for Torrenting|
|More Info||ExpressVPN Review||Surfshark Review||NordVPN Review||PureVPN Review||CyberGhost Review||Ivacy Review|
|Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site|
Why do gamers need a VPN?
There are many reasons why gamers must use a VPN on their devices. Some of them are mentioned below:
Boosting Internet Speed
As most internet service providers (ISPs) can intercept and throttle your internet speeds, using a VPN is the best way to avoid ISP throttling. VPN uses encryption protocols and overcomes ISP throttling to make sure you feel no trouble during online gaming.
Buying Region-Specific Games
Even if you can purchase several online games, some popular games are geo-restricted and are not available to everyone. Sometimes the game prices are higher according to your country. This is where a VPN can provide help. It can hide your actual geolocation and allow you to buy DLC packs or any region-specific games.
Lifting a Ban
There is no secret that some online gamers cheat during online gaming to win free points or upgrade levels and eventually face a ban. Game owners can ban your IP address so you cannot play again. But you can use a VPN to connect to a different IP address and play your favorite games once again.
Preventing DDoS Attacks
Pro gamers are on the verge of DDoS attacks, especially when they play a gaming tournament with cash prizes. Some gamers try to cheat their way to the top by launching DDoS attacks on other competitive players. To avoid that, use a VPN that offers DDoS protection to help you play online games safely.
There are more chances of an IP address leak when you are playing multiplayer games. Sometimes your internet connection is not secure that hackers can intercept and use it to their benefit. By using a VPN, online gamers can quickly encrypt their device data and prevent any leaks.
If you wish, check out our best VPN for steam in the 2021 roundup as well.
Play while traveling
While you are traveling to any other country or region, marketplaces may not recognize you since you’ll be logged in from a different IP address and may not process your payments. By connecting to a VPN with the server from the country your profile was created in, you can easily bypass this inconvenience.
A VPN can also help you play streaming services like XCloud and Google Stadia if they are not available in your country. By simply changing your actual IP address, you can get instant access to these services. Similarly, if you are looking for ways to unblock Netflix and other streaming services without paying for a VPN, you can check out our guide on free Netflix VPNs in 2021 that are still working.
How to configure a VPN For Gaming
Configuring a VPN for gaming on a laptop, desktop, or smartphone is super easy. Almost all the VPN providers provide official applications that you can directly install on your device. Setting up VPN on gaming consoles is tricky as VPN providers do not offer official applications for those devices.
Don’t worry; we will tell you about the three easiest way to connect your Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and other game consoles to your VPN
Configuring VPN on your Router
The easiest method for setting up a VPN on your gaming console is configuring it on your router. This method will also allow you to protect every device connected to your router network at once. You can either purchase a specialized router dedicated to working with VPNs or configure your router with VPN settings. While easy to set up, these are expensive options, and not all VPN providers sell their own routers.
Configuring a VPN on Windows
Before you start setting up your VPN, make sure that you have an Ethernet cable and a Wi-Fi adapter. Once you have made sure of those two things, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Download and install a VPN service on your Windows. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Connect your PC and console with an Ethernet cable.
- Launch Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> click Change Adaptor Settings on the window.
- Right-click your VPN adapter icon and select Properties.
- Open the sharing tab and make sure to select ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’
- Choose Home Networking Connection and then click the ‘home internet connection’ option from the drop-down menu.
- On your console, locate the network settings, select the LAN cable option, and connect it to your PC’s network.
- The steps vary slightly with each console, but you should now be online and connected to the web via VPN.
Configuring a VPN on Mac
The process is almost identical, but this time we will be using Mac’s Internet Sharing feature.
- Download and install a VPN service on your Mac.
- Connect your Mac and console with an Ethernet cable.
- Open System Preferences -> Sharing -> click Internet Sharing.
- Select Wi-Fi from the drop-down menu that says Share Your Connection From.
- Select Ethernet from the ‘to computers using’ list.
- Check to the left of Internet Sharing to activate the WiFi sharing between your Mac and your console. Watch out for the green icon that indicates a successful connection.
- Launch the VPN software and connect to a server from the VPN’s list of available servers.
- On your console, find the network settings, choose a LAN cable option, and connect it to your Mac’s network.
- The steps vary slightly with each console, but you will be connected to the web via VPN in no time if all goes well.
How to choose the best VPN for online gaming?
You do need to keep some important factors in mind before subscribing to any VPN. Here is the list of different factors that you should consider when choosing the best VPN for online gaming:
- Low Pings
- Compatible with all major platforms, including Routers / Console
- Security & Protocols
- DDoS Protection
- Port Forwarding
- Availability Of Servers
- Ease Of Use
How to unblock region-restricted games through a VPN
Here’s how you can quickly use a virtual private network to play region-restricted games online:
- Select and purchase a VPN service of your choice
- Download and install the app on routers or your device
- Log in to the app using your credentials
- Connect to servers from countries where the games you want to access are blocked
- Finally, download or play your favorite games online without restrictions & throttling.
Tips for reducing ping
Gamers understand how frustrating slow internet can be, even if there is a slight difference in 4-5ms ping. There are many popular games that Gamers can’t play without a lower ping. This is why you must always look to reduce ping to enjoy online gaming to the fullest.
- Your PC’s antivirus and firewall can create a sudden delay in latency speed as these security features collect packets from any game server. That’s why you must white-list all the online games on your PC to prevent packet loss and lower ping.
- Always use the right graphic card, processor, and RAM to handle the advanced game settings because it reflects the frame rates. To do that, you must carefully optimize the game settings according to your PC configuration.
- Connect your PC with Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi to lower ping as well as latency and packet loss. As most household devices use in-home Wi-Fi, using Ethernet directly can be the best choice for gaming seamlessly.
- Ensure you are not running any background programs such as Twitch or Netflix, which can intercept your bandwidth speed. Also, automatic updates can take a toll on the internet speed and suffocate the framerate while gaming.
- Lower the number of connected devices from the main router because it cannot handle huge traffic and hog your online gaming speed. Even if you cannot disconnect all the devices, try to reduce the numbers as much as possible to reduce ping.
Best VPN for gaming on Reddit
Although I’ve personally tested out the above-mentioned gaming VPNs, I still wanted to see what the Reddit community had to suggest. Surprisingly, the majority of Reddit users either suggested NordVPN or ExpressVPN for gaming. So let’s take a look at some comments regarding gaming VPNs, according to Reddit.
Here’s one Reddit user suggesting to use NordVPN for playing Global
Another Reddit user suggested connecting to a VPN while launching the VPN and disconnecting once the game is up.
There you go, some reviews about the best VPNs for gaming according to Reddit in 2021. Read more VPN reviews by Reddit users.
So now that you know why and which gaming VPNs you should use, let’s go through some of the most frequently asked questions about gaming VPNs.
Are VPNs good for gaming?
Yes, VPNs are actually quite good for gaming. In fact, a VPN can help you achieve better pings (in some cases), fast speeds, protection against DDoS, and also provide you access to geo-restricted games from around the world.
Does VPN reduce ping?
Yes, a VPN can help you reduce pings if you’re experiencing packet loss from your ISP’s endpoint or if your packets are being transferred through multiple hops.
Does VPN slow down gaming?
Yes, a VPN will slow down your gaming speeds. However, the actual percentage of speed fluctuations is subjective and depends upon numerous factors. You can get better speeds by connecting to a VPN server that’s closer to your actual geographical location.
Does FPS affect Ping?
No, your ping should not affect your FPS directly, but you can mess around with FPS that can have an impact on your pings. For instance, if you want to mess around, you can drop your FPS below a specific threshold and spike your pings significantly.
For me, PureVPN worked great. But you can choose whichever you like from the above list of the 6 best VPN for Gaming.
Because, to enjoy online gaming to the fullest, you need to use a VPN. Opting for the best gaming VPNs will help you avoid ISP throttling, attain lower pings, avoid DDoS attacks and unblock geo-restricted games from anywhere in the world.
If you’re looking for a VPN for generic use like streaming and overall protection, I suggest you check out our list of best VPNs.
Also, if you are looking for VPNs that will not make a hole in your pockets and allow you the best gaming experience at the same time, then we suggest checking out our list of best free VPNs for gaming.