Finding the best free VPN for Public Wifi to protect your sensitive information from malicious third-party attacks? Well, we have found the best free VPNs for Public Wifi you can use safely in 2023.
Public Wifi is the most unsafe connection anyone can have. So, while studying in a coffee shop or using public Wifi for sending a quick email, you may give full access to your system to cyber criminals. These hackers can not only get your sensitive information but also can use your system to perform criminal actions. However, do not worry much because we have VPNs to save us from all this trouble.
A VPN service spoofs your actual IP address and encrypts all your Internet traffic. In this way, you become virtually anonymous over the Internet. Now, no one can read any of your information on the Internet.
However, now the question is, what is the best free VPN for Public Wifi? To give you the answer, we tried and tested more than 160 free VPNs. It was a really strenuous task, but now we are able to shortlist the finest of the lot to provide you security on Public Wifi connection absolutely free.
In this article, we will discuss the best free VPN for Public Wifi and how you can use them to get the best possible service.
Quick Overview: Best Free VPN for Public Wifi in 2023
Before getting into the detailed feature review, let’s have a quick rundown of our shortlisted best free VPNs for Public Wifi in 2023:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Public Wifi: ExpressVPN comes with military-grade encryption, 3000 global VPN servers, and other advanced security and privacy features. Though it’s a premium VPN, you can still avail yourself of ExpressVPN’s free trial with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Windscribe – Best free VPN for Public Wifi with 10 GB of Free Data: Windscribe has 10 global servers. It comes with 256 Bits encryption, double VPN technology, and other amicable security and privacy features to provide you foolproof protection.
- TunnelBear – User-Friendly Free VPN For Public Wi-Fi: TunnelBear has more than 49 global servers and outstanding security and privacy features. It is a premium VPN but generously provides its users with 2 GB of free data to experience the sophisticated VPN services.
Why Do You Need a Free VPN for Public WiFi?
Here are the reasons why you need a free VPN for Public Wifi:
- A VPN Protects You From Cyber Attacks: A VPN hides your data completely, therefore protecting you from malicious third-party attacks trying to invade your privacy and monitor your online activity.
- Secures Your Personal Data: Since Public WiFi is a hotspot for cybercriminals looking to access your personal data like login details, banking information, etc., a VPN can help you prevent any leaks of sensitive information.
- Secures Your Official Work Accounts: Most of the people in coffee shops are working remotely. There are many incidents when hackers accessed their work accounts and messed up everything. So, a VPN can help you prevent any such trouble and let you work in peace.
However, not all VPNs are safe to use. Most of the top free VPNs for Public Wifi come with mighty claims but compromise their security and privacy features. Therefore, we recommend using only reliable and best secure VPNs for Public Wifi hotspots. Our recommendation goes with ExpressVPN as the best secure VPN for Public Wifi. It comes with state-of-the-art security and privacy features. So, you can use it for free for a whole month with its 30 days money-back guarantee.
Detailed Guide: The Best Free VPNs for Public WiFi
Now, let’s dive into the detailed feature review of our top free VPN for Public Wifi and select the one you find best suited for you:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Public Wifi:
- 3000 VPN servers in 94 countries
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- AES 256 Bits encryption
- Full leak protection
- Obfuscated servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac Linux, Android, iOS, Kodi, Firestick, smart TV, etc
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Public Wifi. It comes with more than 3000 VPN servers in 94countries around the globe. Therefore, you can access the content of all these regions even on Public Wifi. Also, ExpressVPN has a Lightway protocol to allow you to have a lightning-fast connection speed over the Wifi.
Also, ExpressVPN comes with remarkable website unblocking capability. So, we tested ExpressVPN with Japanese Netflix on Public Wifi. For this purpose, we connected to Japan server on the app’s home page. Not only did we establish our connection readily, but soon after that, all the Japanese anime titles on this platform were ready to stream.
After that, we conducted the Express VPN’s speed test to know the connection speed after connecting to a VPN server. On a connection of 100 Mbp, we got 89.42 Mbps of downloading and 85.64 Mbps of uploading speed, respectively. This Internet speed was fast enough to call it one of the fastest VPNs to provide the best possible torrenting, streaming, and gaming on Public Wifi.
The best part is that ExpressVPN gives you access to most of the global geo-restricted content. We tested it with multiple streaming and entertainment platforms, including using ExpressVPN with Netflix, Hulu, Minecraft, MGM HD, Canal 13, TVN, BBC News, League of Legends, GoITV, Tik Tok, Amazon Prime Videos, WhatsApp, CBC Gem, BBC iPlayer, Disney + and many more.
Moreover, you can use ExpressVPN on most of your digital devices. You can download it with dedicated apps for macOS, iOS, Windows, Linux, and Android. Moreover, you can also use ExpressVPN with Smart TV, Kodi, Apple TV, Roku, and even gaming consoles.
With a built-in ExpressVPN Kill Switch, you will be disconnected from the Internet to avoid any accidental data leaks in case your VPN connection drops by any chance.
Since ExpressVPN is a premium VPN, you need to subscribe to any of its paid plans before you can use it. ExpressVPN’s most economical plan comes to around $6.67/mo (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan) per month. However, you can avail of ExpressVPN free trial for a whole month with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Moreover, there is also another ExpressVPN 7 days free trial on the mobile app. In case your ExpressVPN not working with your device, you may contact 24/7 customer support on live chat to get quick help.
For more details about its features, check our ExpressVPN review.
- Great efficiency with Free Public Wifi
- Unrestricted access to the free trial
- A wide server diversity
- Unlimited data is there on a free trial
- 256 Bits AES encryption
- Limited free usage
2. Windscribe – Best free VPN for Public Wifi with 10 GB of Free Data
- More than 10 free servers around the globe
- 10 GB of free data for gaming and streaming
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Low Ping
- Unlimited device connections option
- Fast speed
- 256 Bits military-grade encryption
Windscribe is the best free VPN for Public Wifi with free 10 GB of data. It comes with 10 free global servers. The best part is that you get 10 GB of free data on 10 of its servers every month completely free. So, if your budget does not allow you to get a premium VPN, Windscribe can be a great choice for limited use.
We tested the Windscribe kill switch feature on an unstable public connection to see whether it protects our data from leakage. Turns out, it did actually work and activated on time the minute we were about to disconnect from the VPN connection. After connecting to Windscribe’s free servers, we were able to browse various websites and stream videos for a few hours until we ran out of the 10 GB data limit.
We then conducted a Windscribe speed test to know our connection speed. Over a 100 Mbps connection, there was a download speed of 65.12 Mbps and an upload speed of 34.75 Mbps. We did not face any freezing or buffering during our 4 hours of test session over the Public Wifi. Therefore, Windscribe has optimal performance for streaming and torrenting too.
Windscribe can unblock most of the popular geo-blocked websites. We tried accessing Hulu, Minecraft, CBS, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Videos, and Netflix with Windscribe in our test procedure.
Also, you can use Windscribe with most of the most popular digital devices. This includes using Windscribe with smartphones, laptops, desktops, Kodi, Firestick, SmartTV, AppleTV, Roku, and even gaming consoles. Also, it has dedicated apps for Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS for enhanced user ease.
Windscribe comes with a double VPN feature to provide foolproof security to its users. It offers 256 Bits AES encryption, industrial-grade encryption, which makes your system invasion-proof by cyber criminals. Even if you lose your VPN connection due to any reason, an Internet Kill Switch is there to disconnect you from the Internet. Moreover, there is a full leak protection and obfuscation feature to bypass VPN blocks and protect all your Internet searches and keep you completely anonymous.
Windscribe’s free trial version offers multiple limitations, the major of which is data and server limitation. Also, you can cancel your subscription and claim a refund if you are unhappy with the features. Windscribe also comes with 24/7 customer support to help you with any VPN-related trouble.
Check our Windscribe review for more information about this VPN.
- Outstanding connection speed even on an unstable connection
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Internet Kill Switch
- Server location limitation in the free plan
- Data limitations in the free plan
3. TunnelBear – User-friendly Free VPN For Public Wifi
- 2 GB free data every month
- 49 free servers in different countries
- High connection speed
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- Unlimited Bandwidth
TunnelBear is a user-friendly free VPN for Public Wifi hotspots. Tunnel Bear comes with a wide diversity of over 49 free servers globally. It offers 2 GB of free data to its users every month to enjoy free browsing and streaming until it lasts.
To check Tunner Bear’s capabilities on an unstable public connection, we downloaded the app and connected it to its UK server. To our surprise, we got the connection quite readily. We then tried streaming ITV in the US. All the titles on the channel were easily available to stream.
We then conducted a Tunnel Bear speed test to know its connection efficacy over Public Wifi. Then, on a connection of 100 Mbps, we got a download speed of 55.27 Mbps and 40.21 Mbps of uploading speed. All these results ensured that we get the best possible Internetting experience.
Tunnel Bear enables you to unblock multiple geo-restricted websites, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, CBC Gem, and other services.
You can use Tunnel Bear on various devices, including laptops, smart TV, desktop, smartphone, computer, Kodi, Roku, etc. Moreover, it has dedicated user-friendly applications for Linux, Android, Windows, iOS, and macOS.
Tunnel Bear provides cutting-edge security and privacy protection. In fact, it is the only free VPN for Public Wifi that went through independent auditing. Tunnel Bear features advanced 256-bit encryption. In addition, an Internet Kill Switch feature known as Vigilant Bear is available to disconnect you from the Internet if there is any unintentional connection drop.
The biggest drawback of using Tunnel Bear free trial is that it only provides 2 GB of free data. So, if you want a free VPN for Public Wifi for an extended duration, TunnelBear might not be your top pick. Or you may subscribe to its paid plan and get unlimited data and features.
For more details about this VPN, do check our TunnelBear review.
- Great efficiency with Public Wifi
- Wide server diversity
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Prevent DDoS attacks
- Economical premium plan
- Not much free data
Risks of Using a Free VPN on Public WiFi
As we discussed earlier that not all free VPNs for Public Wifi are safe to use. If you are not careful enough in your selection, you can face the following risk factors:
- Record Data And Sell To Third Parties: Free VPNs are notorious for logging their user data and search history. They then auction it on the dark web to earn money. So, using Public Wifi is much less risky than using the wrong free VPN. Therefore, we recommend using only the best free VPN for Public Wifi.
- Poor Security and Privacy Features: Free VPNs for Public Wifi often offer poor security and privacy features. So, they do not protect your connection well and leak your data to third parties. Also, there are no advanced features like an Internet Kill switch, DNS leak protection, double VPN, 256 Bits encryption, etc., for foolproof security and privacy.
- App Virus and Frequent Ads: Some free VPNs also come with apps containing a virus or malicious software. Also, they display many ads that can lead to malicious websites. All these things generate money as they are providing the primary service for free. Therefore, we recommend using only the best free VPN for Public Wifi, such as ExpressVPN.
How to Set Up a Free VPN on Public WiFi: [Quick & Easy Steps]
Here is how to set up a free VPN on Public Wifi:
- Subscribe to a free VPN for Public Wifi. We highly recommend ExpressVPN’s free trial.
- Download the app and log in to your account.
- You can then connect to any of the desired servers to get a new IP address.
- Go to your normal working and enjoy a secure connection on Public Wi-Fi.
We recommend you be very careful in your selection of a free VPN for Public Wifi. One great service provider is ExpressVPN. It is a secure and best free VPN for Public Wifi hotspots, which comes with advanced features. Also, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee to help you use it for free for a whole month.
How We Tested and Selected These Free VPNs?
It was a really tough task to find a free VPN service for Public Wifi owing to multiple free VPN providers in the market with mighty claims. So, we formulated a strategy to ensure we reach the best free VPN for Public Wifi. Here is how we tested free VPNs for Public Wifi:
Security and Privacy:
We looked for VPNs that provide high upload and download speeds. So, we aimed for a VPN that provides more than 60 Mbps download speed and more than 40 Mbps upload speed over a 100 Mbps connection.
While shortlisting a VPN, we also checked their website’s unblocking capability and compatibility with digital devices. It was to ensure we reach a versatile free VPN for Public Wifi, which is all-purpose.
Since most of the reliable free VPNs for Public Wifi come with limited features in the free trial version, we looked for payment plans too. So, we shortlisted only those VPNs that are budget friendly and offer good value for money.
Good Free Features:
Many free VPNs have limited features in their free trial. So, we shortlisted those VPNs that have optimal security and privacy features even in the free trial. Also, our best free VPNs for Public Wifi offer sufficient free data for quick use.
FAQs – Free VPNs for Public WiFi
What are the risks of Public WiFi Hotspots?
The major risks of Public Wifi hotspots are:
- Compromised security and privacy
- Cybercriminal attack
- Bandwidth capping
- Government monitoring your Internet activity
Why use a VPN for Public WiFi?
Using a VPN for Public WiFi is a great way to protect your data and privacy when connecting to public networks. A VPN provides encryption for your data, ensuring that any information you send or receive is secure against hackers and other malicious actors.
Is it safe to use a free VPN for Public WiFi?
Yes, it is safe to use a free VPN with Public Wifi. However, we recommend you be very cautious with your selection of free VPN for Public Wifi. Many free VPNs compromise on security and privacy features. Some also log in user data and then sell it to third parties. Therefore, only select secure free VPNs for Public Wifi hotspots such as ExpressVPN.
Can a VPN protect you on public Wifi?
Yes, a VPN hides your Internet traffic and protects you on public Wi-Fi really well. Also, it spoofs your actual IP address making you completely anonymous over the Internet. Therefore, when you connect to a VPN, no one can identify your online presence or penetrate your device to extract private information.
Public Wi-Fi networks are the hub of cybercriminals who don’t spare any chance to penetrate your device and extract personal information. That’s also the reason why many cybersecurity experts recommend using a VPN while connected to public Wi-Fi. Since affording a VPN is not everyone’s cup of tea, most people may rather look for a free VPN for Public Wi-Fi.
Thankfully, we have assembled a list of services that are reliable and effective to use with Public Networks. You can use these free VPNs for Public Wifi to enhance your security and protect against cyberattacks.
We hope you have found your VPN on Public Wifi by the end of this article. In case of any concerns, comment below so we can help you with them.