LibreELEC is a fork of Kodi and in this guide, I will be discussing how to install OpenVPN on LibreELEC in easy steps.
The setup will include Zomboided Repository as a part of the installation. I will also be discussing which VPN is best for LibrELEC.
Kodi is undoubtedly the best streaming media player that streams Movies, TV Shows, and Live TV. Since there are addons that are geo-restricted, you require the best VPN for Kodi.
What is LibreELEC?
LibreELEC, the Just Enough OS for Kodi is a slightly complicated platform than other Kodi platforms because of its non-Kodi GUI.
However, once you are accustomed to some basic Linux commands, you’re ought to do very well with installing software like VPN or repositories.
Kodi is accessible to almost every device and that can be achieved with very little system resources.
5 Best VPN for LibreELEC in 2022
There are many VPNs out there, but it requires thorough assessment and testing after it makes it to the top VPN for LibreELEC. Here is the list of these VPNs where you can subscribe:
ExpressVPN LibreELEC may be the most expensive VPN around the list, but it is for a very good reason. ExpressVPN brings you the strongest VPN encryption, but most importantly it lets you stream video content outside your country region. It keeps your online activity anonymous and that is important when having a VPN. To read about it in detail, check out our detailed ExpressVPN review.
Surfshark is a British Virgin Island service currently offering its services in 50 countries through 3200+ servers. Its one of the fastest VPN services. You can install this VPN service on your Libreelec device and access your favorite media content securely and anonymously.
What makes NordVPN a preferred choice for LibreELEC is its double VPN encryption. LibreELEC NordVPN not only gets you to access geo-restricted video content on Kodi but also keeps your identity anonymous from your ISP. It has over 5100+ servers and access to the internet with no limits.
CyberGhost is another online privacy service that offers a dedicated Libreelec VPN client for its users. This way, you are able to watch your favorite media content be it movies, TV shows, and other stuff hassle-free.
Free VPN for LibreELEC
In case you want to use a free VPN on your Libreelec devices, you are allowed to do so. However, not all free VPN services come up with the expectations of subscribers. This is because they may compromise on their users ‘privacy.
Still, few free VPN services in the market allow you to protect your identity. By doing so, you can access your favorite media stuff on Kodi Libreelec operating system. Here is the list of free VPNs that includes:
How to Install VPN for LibreELEC
Once you are done subscribing to a LibreELEC VPN, now I will take you through the installation process.
This process requires installing a Zomboided repository in order to get a VPN for LibreELEC. I have used a random VPN as an example. Follow these steps mentioned below:
Installing Zomboided Repository
We would need to connect your system via another computer using the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol.
Step 1: First, you need to download PuTTY. You can download the file based on your system requirement. This SSH client will make it easier for you to connect with other devices on a network
Step 2: Open PuTTY when you have installed > Ensure that your Connection type is set to SSH
Step 3: Open LibreELEC device > Select Settings (Gear-icon) at the top menu > Then click on System Settings
Step 4: Select the Add-ons tab on the left menu > Enable Unknown Sources
Step 5: Go back again to Settings > Now select System Information > Here you will see the IP address in the device you’re using
Step 6: Enter this IP address into the Host Name option provided in PuTTY > Select Open button that should be present at the bottom of the screen.
Step 7: A box will appear which will ask you to log in > The default LibreELEC’s login is ‘root’ while the password is ‘libreelec’
Step 8: Once you are connected, Enter the text wget https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/archive/master.zip
Step 9: Click on the Add-ons tab located on the Home Screen in the LibreELEC device > Tap on the Box-icon > Then Install from Zip File
Configuring the VPN for LibreELEC
Step 10: Click on the Home Folder > Select the zip file i.e. master.zip > Give time for the VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on to install
Step 11: Now we need to configure the VPN before using it > Go to your Home Screen on Kodi > Click on Add-ons > Then Program Add-ons > Right-click on the VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on > Click on Settings
Step 12: Choose your VPN provider from the list > Enter your VPN credentials > Go to VPN Connections tab > Choose the VPN server > Now press OK to connect > Now stream anything you desire
How to Test your VPN For LibreELEC
To check whether you have configured VPN correctly, you can follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Go to your Home Screen > Click on Add-ons > Then Install from Repository
Step 2: Find Kodi Add-on Repository from the list and click on it > Select Video Add-ons > Then scroll down to select iPlayer WWW > Hit Install
Step 3: Now roll back to Kodi Home Screen > Click on Add-ons > Video Add-ons > iPlayer WWW
Step 4: This is an official BBC add-on that remains to be geo-restricted unless you are located in UK > Change your server to a UK server before streaming any content from this add-on. If it streams for you, then it is likely that your VPN has been configured.
How Can I Setup VPN for Libreelec on Raspberry Pi?
The Libreelec VPN setup procedure is simple and does not need any rocket science. Here is the list of steps you should follow to achieve your mission:
- You will have to connect to the Libreelec device through SSH protocol first
- Download configuration files to configure VPN file to your Libreelec device
- For this, you can download files then you may use a USB to copy the files
- You can download files onto your device directly through Secure Shell (SSH)
- Open Kodi>Settings>System Information> Network
- Note down your IP address of Libreelec device and your SSH through using an SSH client
- You can opt for Putty an advanced tool that allows you to access another computer
- Once you have installed Putty on your device, you can enter the IP address into the field where it says ‘Host Name’ and click Open
- You will need to provide a username along with the password. You can write ‘Root’ in username while you can write libreelec in the password field.
- You can download files after clicking the links given below:
- You can click to download the file for the Service VPN Manager add-on
- You can click to download the MPN OpenVPN Configuration file
- Go to storage / MPNVPN.ovpn to see the content of the configuration file as mentioned below:
- Remote server name
- Remote-cert-eku ‘TLS web server authentication’
- Dev tun
- Proto udp
- Port 1194
- Resolv-retry infinite
- Route-delay 2
- You should change the word ‘server name’ with the name of the server you wish to connect like GBR.mypn.co
- You can click to access the full server names list
- You should install the VPN Manager add-on
- Open Kodi>click add-ons>package installer icon>install from zip file> locate VPN Manager-2.4.0.zip that you downloaded earlier
- You should connect to a VPN for your Libreelec device by installing an add-on
- You will see a box on your screen that reads Settings- Libreelec VPN manager for OpenVPN
- Choose your VPN for LibreELEC with the kill switch feature from the list
- Write username and password, click yes to proceed further
- From install from Zip file option, select the configuration file from your device i.e. MPNVPN.ovpn
- If you are needed to update .ovpn file then click yes
- If it needs to be renamed, click simply No
- Through VPN connection> first VPN connection>choose MPNVPN profile
- You will observe the following message on your screen
- Once you have completed the connection validation process, choose OK and return to the home screen
How Can I Install Libreelec VPN on Amazon Fire TV?
You can install a VPN for Libreelec on Amazon Fire TV with the help of a router. Here is how you can do:
- Open web browser> write gateway address to your router
- From settings>click WAN
- Choose PPTP in WAN connection type
- Through WAN DNS settings, you can ask your VPN service to provide SmartDNS settings
- Go to the ‘special requirement from ISP’ option, enter the server address for a country to your liking with the name
- You can click apply when you are done
The Wrap Up
Installing LibreELEC VPN seemed daunting at first, but once you have followed each of the instructions we provided in this guide, it seems straightforward. Stream all your favorite content without worrying about your online activity, as VPN for LibreELEC has it all covered.