Discover new British shows with the best VPN for STV Player!
STV Player is a UK-based video-on-demand service that is accessible for free on all major TV platforms, the internet, and mobile devices. Here, people can watch binge-worthy drama box sets, entertainment, documentaries, news, current affairs, and soaps, including popular titles like Coronation Street, Emmerdale, The Sounds, and Sanditon.
But, is STV Player available in the US? No, STV Player is unavailable in the United States since it’s a geo-restricted UK-based streaming platform accessible to British and Scottish viewers. However, we’ve got some good news for you. You can access STV Player and enjoy its bucketful of amazing content using the best VPN for STV Player.
We tested 40+ VPNs on an extensive list of factors and came up with a list of the most reliable VPNs that offer a UK IP address for the streaming platform. However, amongst all, we highly recommend using ExpressVPN due to its multiple UK servers in 4 locations, fast speeds, and excellent unblocking.
Why Do I Need to Use a VPN for STV Player
Since STV Player is a geo-restricted streaming platform available only in the UK and Scotland, you need a VPN to bypass these geo-blocks and access its content in the United States.
If you try accessing STV Player’s website from the US, this error will appear on your screen:
To get over these regional restrictions and watch the STV, a VPN is the key. How? Through a VPN’s servers in the UK, you can have a UK-based IP address for spoofing. This way, STV Player would be tricked into believing that you’re accessing the service from the UK, and will allow you to enjoy the streaming platform easily.
Best VPN to Watch STV Player in US 2022 [In-Depth Analysis]
Getting the best VPN is difficult, and even more so, finding one that easily unblocks STV Player. We examined 40+ VPNs in order to identify the best 3 which are suitable for STV. These are as follows:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN for STV Player in US
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for STV Player in the United States. That’s because the VPN offers blazing-fast speeds, excellent unblocking capabilities, and robust security. Moreover, you also get an exclusive MediaStreamer feature, so you can watch STV Player on devices that do not offer native VPN support.
ExpressVPN offers 3000+ servers in 94 countries, among with 4 servers locations are in the UK – East London, Wembley, Docklands, and London. Additionally, it offers unlimited bandwidth, allowing us to uninterruptedly binge all of our favorite series.
During our tests, the London server produced the fastest results. We were able to watch the new episodes of The Sounds on STV Player in just a few seconds.
There were no buffering or delays on our connection while streaming STV Player’s content. So, we conducted an ExpressVPN speed test on its London server. On a 100 Mbps connection, it offered 89.42 Mbps download speed, and 84.64 Mbps upload speed.
While connected to its UK server, we could also access various other British streaming services. We could easily unblock BT Sport, Channel 4, Britbox, UK Netflix, Sky Sports, and BBC iPlayer in the US. Moreover, with so many advantages that ExpressVPN offers, it is also turned out to be the best VPN for QuestTV.
Moreover, 5 devices can be connected to ExpressVPN at once. This VPN offers dedicated apps for Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, and macOS. You can also manually configure ExpressVPN to FireStick, routers, Smart TVs, Apple TVs, and gaming consoles.
ExpressVPN is likewise built around user security. With this VPN, there are no traffic or connection logs. What’s better is that it prevents DNS blocking with its DNS leak protection and AES 256-bit encryption.
Lastly, ExpressVPN costs only $6.67/mo (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE this Black Friday/Cyber Monday). You can also make the most of the service through its mobile-friendly ExpressVPN free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee for a limited time.
For more details about the VPN, go through our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
- Offers a MediaStreamer feature
- Unblocks STV Player and other UK platforms
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Fast speeds
- Compatible with all popular operating systems and devices
- 5 multi-logins
2. Surfshark – Budget-Friendly VPN for STV Player
Surfshark is the most affordable VPN for STV Player in the US. If you’re on a tight budget but want to access STV, sign up to Surfshark at $2.05/mo (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE this Black Friday/Cyber Monday), and enjoy the streaming platform!
Sursfshark has over 3200 servers spread over 100 countries. It features multiple UK servers in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Manchester, so you can easily access British channels like STV Player. We connected to its Edinburgh server and accessed STV Player’s content within seconds.
With Surfshark, we faced no lags while streaming. Our Surfshark speed test also revealed that the VPN delivered a swift download speed of 81.32 Mbps and upload speeds of 76.12 Mbps.
In our accessibility tests, Surfshark also worked with other UK streaming platforms. We could unblock UK Netflix, Disney+, BT Sport, Channel 4, BBC iPlayer, and Sky Sports in the US, 4Music in US and it is also best VPN for SVT Play in US.
Moreover, Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous connection deserves praise. Users can use the Surfshark account on as many devices as they own. You can download Surfshark’s app on a variety of operating systems, including Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, and Linux. You can also install Surfshark on a router and enjoy its connection on all devices.
Surfshark offers multiple security features as well. Whitelister, no-log policy, AES 256-bit keys, and Camouflage Mode help ensure privacy and online anonymity.
Lastly, its subscriptions come with a free 7-day mobile trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee for testing the service out.
For more details about the VPN, go through our in-depth review of Surfshark.
- Affordable VPN service
- Multiple servers in 4 UK locations
- MultiHop feature for security
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Some servers take a few seconds to connect to
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network for STV Player in US
NordVPN offers the largest server network to stream STV Player in US. The VPN offers over 3000 servers spread across 59 countries, among which 440+ servers are present in 4 UK cities.
These cities include Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, and London. We connected to its Manchester server and faced no hindrances in unblocking STV Player in the United States.
This VPN streamed all our favorite STV Player shows without delays. Our NordVPN speed test on a 100 Mbps connection delivered a download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps.
NordVPN’s extensive UK server network allowed us to access various other British streaming platforms as well. We could unblock Britbox, UK Netflix, Amazon Prime, BT Sport, BBC iPlayer, and Channel 4 in US.
Moreover, NordVPN offers 6 simultaneous connections, so you can connect more than a single device to the account. While offering dedicated apps for all major OSes, we could also set up NordVPN on Roku, Kodi, FireStick, routers, PS4, and more.
Additionally, NordVPN safeguards your data with the best security features such as Threat Protection and DoubleVPN.
All these features and much more are available for just $3.69/mo (Get 55% Off + 2 Months FREE this Black Friday/Cyber Monday) with a 30-day risk-free guarantee. It also offers a 7-day free trial to Android users.
For more details about the VPN, go through our in-depth review of NordVPN.
- Extensive UK server network
- Compatible apps for all major OSes and devices
- Unblocks STV Player and other British platforms
- Robust security features
- Live chat support can be improved
How to Choose the Right VPN to Watch STV Player in USA
For the best VPN for STV Player, we have set a standard that the VPN provider must meet. Let’s look at all the factors in the criteria to understand what we tested the VPNs on:
- Speed and reliability of service: Speed is a prominent factor in streaming, and that’s why we ensured to jot down the fastest VPNs on our list. The VPNs mentioned in this post provide fast servers and unlimited bandwidth.
- Servers in the UK: Multiple UK-based servers are required by STV VPNs so that users can connect to another in case one is congested or unavailable. If a VPN offers only one UK server, it cannot ensure continuous streaming for its users.
- Robust encryption standards to prevent data leakage: When streaming STV, the VPN must protect the user’s identity. The user’s IP address, data, and online activities should always be kept secret and confidential. Therefore, we ensured that the VPNs we list down offer military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and a DNS/IP leak protection feature.
- Value for money: What stands out is how a service provider cherishes its clients’ payment. Is their customer support top-notch? Are they as excellent as they claim? Our tests led us to conclude that ExpressVPN provides exceptional service that’s worth the price.
- Compatibility: The VPN must be compatible with all major operating systems and devices, including Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, FireStick, Roku, Kodi, and more. The best VPNs for STV Player above support all OS and device types like game consoles and routers.
- Works with STV Player and other UK streaming services: The UK servers of a VPN shouldn’t be limited to accessing STV Player. Instead, you should also be able to access other UK platforms, such as BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, Britbox, BT Sport, Sky Sports, etc.
VPN Not Working with STV Player in US
Firewalls, blocked ports, obsolete VPN software, and broken routers can interfere with a VPN connection. Find out below how to resolve different “VPN not working” issues.
1. Check your network settings:
Your VPN won’t connect correctly if your network connection is unstable. Additionally, your VPN connection may become unstable if you frequently move between WiFi and mobile data. Don’t panic if your VPN keeps disconnecting due to an erratic internet connection.
To preserve your privacy, ExpressVPN’s built-in Kill Switch will instantly turn off all of your devices. Here are 4 things you can do:
- Reconnect to your Wi-FI network.
- Start your router again.
- Ensure your router is connected, and check its Ethernet wire.
- If you need assistance in restoring your connection, get in touch with your ISP.
2. Change your server:
If a server is overcrowded, it may reject new connections. So, for example, if you’re having trouble connecting to a VPN for surfing UK sites, try disconnecting first, then choosing the UK server again. Your connection will be changed to another VPN server, which might fix the issue.
3. Make sure the right ports are opened:
To check if the proper ports are open for a VPN, consider adjusting your default port settings since your provider may be able to prohibit connection on a particular port. Open ports significantly increase the dangers associated with your internet connection, making your STV streaming safer.
4. Reinstall your VPN software:
An updated version of your VPN will resolve any bugs and safety holes impairing its performance. Try reconnecting after updating your VPN app to the most recent version.
5. Upgrade to a better VPN service
You may face connectivity and speed issues more frequently if you use a free VPN service. Unfortunately, free VPN services are unreliable or underfunded, with insufficient VPN servers and poor customer assistance.
Furthermore, these VPNs also collect your data without giving you the privacy you deserve. This is why you need to upgrade now to a premium VPN service for STV streaming in the US, and you’ll be in safe hands.
VPNs to Avoid while Accessing STV Player
Online security starts with a click. And so do online risks. Here are the VPNs to avoid for STV Player streaming in US:
- Hola VPN: You may have stumbled across Hola VPN if you seek a free VPN service. But, the fact that this provider is not actually a VPN is the most crucial thing to understand. It is a peer-to-peer (P2P) proxy service instead. There are no requirements for a good VPN that Hola VPN meets. It does not secure your connection and logs all of your online activity. It was also caught selling user bandwidth for botnets. Read more about this Hola Review.
- Hoxx VPN: Another VPN to avoid is Hoxx VPN due to DNS leaks, particularly from its Chrome extension. And forget about using TOR to get a very deep undercover because Hoxx VPN is incompatible with the TOR network. Unfortunately, we were unable to access STV using Hoxx VPN. Check more of its details in our Hoxx VPN review.
- HideMyAss: Since Hide My Ass (HMA) is a UK-based VPN service, it is subject to all UK laws and rules. The problem is that despite being a UK VPN, HMA fails to access some channels in the UK when traveling overseas. For instance, during our tests, HMA disconnected several times with STV and Quest TV. Read more about this VPN in our detailed HideMyAss review.
FAQs – Best VPN For STV Player
What is the best VPN for STV Player?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for STV Player for years now. It has built a reputation of trust among its users due to its privacy features, access capabilities, and fast servers.
Why STV is blocked in US?
STV is blocked in the US due to location-specific restrictions and licensing contracts. It is only available in Scotland. Thus, if you try to view the latest episodes and live shows outside the UK, STV Player will recognize your IP address and prohibit access.
Many streaming websites, including the STV Player, use robust IP-detection technologies to reject access from outside sources. In order to access the STV, you should use the best VPN for STV Player like ExpressVPN.
Can I watch STV Player in USA with free VPN?
Yes, you can stream STV outside of the UK by using a free VPN. However, because of their poor performance and lack of security, we advise against using them. The majority of free servers have few servers but plenty of users, which clogs the network. A free VPN for STV also limits your bandwidth, which causes continuous buffering.
On STV Player, you can watch various hit British series and live programs. But if you’re in the United States and want to catch up on the streaming platform’s content, then you can only do it using the best VPN for STV Player. Connecting to its UK servers allows you to have buffer-free viewing in the States.
However, not every VPN provides you access to STV Player. After testing dozens, we highly recommend ExpressVPN due to its multiple UK servers, excellent unblocking abilities, and blazing-fast speeds.
That’s all for this guide. Feel free to leave any questions you may have about the STV Player and VPN in the comments area below. Enjoy STV streaming!