Surveillance and data retention are a reality that Australians can no longer ignore. The country has enacted laws that violate the basic democratic rights of every individual to maintain their privacy. In this dangerous state of affairs, people have little choice but to take privacy into their own hands.
The easiest way to do that is by using the most secure and fastest VPN for Australia that gives 95 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. But VPNs cost money. Wouldn’t it be great if you could get a VPN for free?
The problem is that you have to deal with the fact that a service posing as a free VPN service for Australia might very well be a scam designed to steal your data and monetize it without your consent. But the situation is not entirely gloomy. There are some legitimate VPNs that you can acquire for free for use in Australia.
Although not every free VPN Australia is a scam, it is also true that no free VPN provider can ever match the quality that is provided by the best premium VPN provider like ExpressVPN. It offers excellent security, privacy, speed, unblocking, and an overall internet experience that you can never found in any free VPN provider. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee with 3-months free on its annual subscription.
Why Free VPNs are discouraged in Australia?
You’ll find below a few reasons that should be enough to convince you as to why using a free VPN in Australia is a very dangerous idea.
- Free VPN providers are known for offering limited bandwidth on their accounts.
- They sell user data and personal information to various third-party entities.
- Most of these VPN providers offer 3 or 5 servers across the globe. This number of servers isn’t sufficient enough to determine the worth of a VPN.
- With just a few servers and large numbers of users connecting to them, it is highly likely that you will face slow speed issues on regular basis.
Before we get into our Free VPNs for Australia, it is worth knowing that there are premium VPN providers out there which can cost you as low as just $2.49/mo and offer much better security, privacy, and performance than a free VPN can ever offer.
Some benefits of Premium VPNs:
Free VPNs can never be better than premium VPNs. Let’s check out why:
- Huge server network with servers in many major countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming, torrenting, and gaming purposes
- Automatic load-balancing on each server for a better online experience
- AES-256 encryption and no-log policy for complete security and privacy
- Money-back guarantee and compatibility with all major platforms
We have listed below few premium VPN providers that outclass any free VPNs in terms of security, privacy, speed, unblocking, and optimized internet experience.
Quick Overview – Best Free VPNs for Australia
Free Australia VPNs in 2021
The following VPN services are available for free and deliver good performance within Australia:
Hotspot Shield is the number one free Australia VPN with 500 MB of data per day, that adds up to 15GB of free data per month. But, with Hotspot Shield, you will have to wait the next day to get 500 MB of data as you cannot use all the data in one day. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer servers in Australia in its free version. If you want to watch BFI Player in Australia or other British streaming sites, you will need to get its premium
It only offers one server location for free users and that is the US. It is a good choice for streaming lovers as you can access American streaming platforms with Hotspot Shield’s US servers. With Hotspot Shield, you can also watch HBO Max live in Australia. However, keep in mind that its free version is supported by ads, so you will see a lot of intrusive ads popping up.
- No-logs policy
- 5 simultaneous connection
- Internet Kill Switch for extra security
- Supports torrenting
- Works in China
- Annoying ads
- Only one server location for free users (US)
- No router support
Hide.Me is another great free Australian VPN that offers free VPN as well as proxy solutions for Australia. The VPN offers 5 server locations which include Singapore, Canada, Netherlands, US East, and US West. It does not offer servers in Australia. To get access to its Australian server, you will have to upgrade to its paid version.
The service uses AES-256 bit encryption and offers a 10GB/month bandwidth limit. It doesn’t work with most streaming services including Netflix, so that limits its utility for people in Australia. If you just need to improve your online privacy, however, then Hide.Me is a good free service to have.
Hide.me offers a Stealth Guard feature that prevents your data from being exposed in case your VPN connection is disabled. Similarly, it also offers IPv6 and DNS leak protection. You can use the free version on one device at a time. To find out more about this service, see this Hide.Me review.
- Improved security features
- No-log policy
- IP, DNS, and Internet Kill Switch Protection
- Supports torrenting
- 10 GB bandwidth
- Limited locations with a free account
- Single connection per account
- Unreliable customer support
ProtonVPN is another free Australian VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth to users. However, it only offers 3 server locations in the free version of its apps: Netherlands, Japan, and the US. It doesn’t offer an Australian server in its free version though. But it does offer unlimited data making it the best free VPN for torrenting in Australia.
You cannot unlock Netflix with these servers unless you upgrade your plan to Plus, which is a paid version of ProtonVPN. Nonetheless, for private browsing in Australia, it is one of the best free VPNs you can have. If you are interested in trying its premium features, you can try it risk-free for 7 days using its Australian VPN free trial.
It does offer unlimited data so you can stream movies in HD quality without fear of running out of bandwidth. It does not keep any user logs and it is also based in a safe jurisdiction of Switzerland, that is outside the 5, 9, and 14 Eyes Alliance.
Find out more about this service in ProtonVPN review.
- Headquartered in Switzerland
- Robust encryption
- Supports torrenting
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Built-in ad blocker
- No security audit
- Only 3 server locations
- No Live Chat support
Windscribe offers servers in 10 locations but is capped by a 10 GB/month data cap. This free VPN provider has servers that are only available in the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania. Switzerland, the U.K., and Hong Kong.
To unlock more servers and unlimited bandwidth, you’ll have to purchase its premium subscription because its free version doesn’t include an Australian server. It does offer free servers in the UK, so you can access Channel 4 in Australia and watch your favorite British shows.
The free version is quite efficient if you’re simply looking to boost your online privacy to evade the problem of surveillance and cybercriminals tracking your activities online in Australia. It offers a stealth mode that allows you to bypass restrictions.
Windscribe free plan comes with a no-log policy and IP/DNS leak protection to keep your data protected all the time. Overall connection speeds are also great. You can learn about this service in the Windscribe review.
- Double-hop encryption
- Clean and intuitive interface
- P2P support
- Compatible with multiple devices
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Headquarter in Canada
- Only 10 server locations for free users
- No live chat support and slow response time
TunnelBear is a pretty decent VPN service that is tainted by the allowance of a measly 500MB/month limit. It probably has the coolest app design and offers more server options than the majority of free services for internet users.
In fact, it is one of the few free VPN with Australian servers making it a great free VPN for Australian TV abroad. The provider also has a satisfactory logging policy for privacy-conscious Australian users. Nonetheless, the data limit restricts the functionality of the app severely. It can only be used if you have low VPN usage requirements.
TunnelBear is compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome, and Firefox. It is also known as the best free VPN for Linux Ubuntu. TunnelBear does follow a no-logs policy but it does log some user data like bandwidth usage, timestamps, and operating system of your device. Even though this data is non-identifiable, but it might be worrisome for users who want maximum anonymity.
Consult TunnelBear review for a detailed evaluation of this VPN.
- Support file-sharing
- Offers Internet Kill Switch and GhostBear mode
- Annual audits
- Excellent privacy policies
- 500 Mb bandwidth per month
- Less diversity in server locations
- Unstable speeds
How we tested the free VPNs for Australia
I have tested 50+ free VPNs to find the best ones for Australia. I have tested these VPN services on various criteria including the number of servers, speed, unblocking ability, and more. I tested and ranked these free VPNs based on the following criteria:
- Free: When looking for a free VPN, make sure it is completely free or it gives a legit money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
- Fast Speeds: Most free VPNs don’t offer the required speeds and entice you into upgrading to their paid version. Surfshark was by far the fastest VPN during our testing.
- Number of Servers: The best free VPN Australia should offer multiple servers in various locations. From the VPNs mentioned above, Surfshak offers the largest number of servers in 65+ locations.
- Unblocking capabilities: Most people use a VPN to bypass geo-blocks. Therefore the free VPN should be able to unblock geo-restricted content and websites from Australia.
- Security features: The best free VPN for Australia should have strong security features including a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy.
Why you need a VPN for Australia
There are several reasons why VPNs have become important in Australia:
- Metadata retention: The government in Australia has passed laws for ISPs to retain metadata of citizens and be made available to government and intelligence agencies if demanded. This mass data collection is a violation of the privacy of Australian citizens. VPNs that retain no user logs and use solid encryption can help you stay under the radar of government surveillance.
- Accessing torrenting websites: Australia has strict anti-piracy laws which led to the ban of many popular torrenting websites in the country. VPNs not only unblock torrent websites but hide your identity so you can download torrents safely.
- Access geo-restricted websites: Many websites, especially streaming services, are geo-restricted and either totally inaccessible or have limited content to offer. With a VPN, you can bypass these restrictions in Australia and gain complete access to websites like Netflix.
How to Get a Free Australian IP Address
To get an Australian IP address for free, you can use ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee (or the period during which the money-back guarantee is valid). Here’s how you can do this:
ExpressVPN is the best free VPN for Australia if you utilize its free trial (for smartphones) or 30-day refund period (desktop users). As you can see from the list above, there are not many free VPNs with Australian servers.
UrbanVPN is a completely free VPN for Australians. In addition, you can try ProtonVPN, Windscribe, and TunnelBear in Australia.
You can watch Australian TV abroad with a free VPN having powerful servers within Australia. Some of the best free VPNs to watch Australian TV are ExpressVPN and TunnelBear.
The need for VPNs is constantly on the rise in Australia with privacy issues forcing more people to take privacy-protecting measures. ExpressVPN is the free VPN for Australia if you utilize its free trial/money-back period. It is also a great VPN for Australia recommended by Reddit users. This way, you can ensure your privacy remains in your hands and bypass geo-restrictions with ease.