Are you looking for the best VPN for public WiFi in India in 2023? If so, you are in the right article. Here we will discuss the best VPNs for public wifi, which you can use in airports, coffee shops, or any other place you might be.
As you are aware, public WiFi is usually a hub of cybercriminals looking to fetch your online details when you’re connected to it. Whether you are working in a coffee shop, studying, or browsing through your social media accounts and using public WiFi, chances are that there is someone trying to steal your data. If this happens, the attackers will infiltrate your devices with malware while trying to steal your sensitive information through this unsafe public WiFi connection.
While there are many VPNs in the market, not all are the best for public Wi-Fi. Some might be too weak to keep off hackers, while others may not be reliable at all. However, you can find premium VPNs which come with extra features and advanced security to ensure that your identity and data remain safe online.
If you are struggling to find the best VPN for public WiFi in 2023, you shouldn’t worry anymore. This article will discuss in detail the best VPN for public WiFi in India to enable you to choose the best, according to your needs and budget. Without further ado, let’s get to the details.
Quick Overview – Best VPN for Public WiFi in India
Here is a quick overview of the best VPN for public WiFi in India:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for public WiFi, featuring advanced security features and robust privacy standards.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for public WiFi, allowing you to connect unlimited devices for only INR 189.98/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) .
- NordVPN – Largest server network VPN for public WiFi, boasting an impressive roster of servers across the globe.
For more details:
Jump straight to detailed analysis of best Public Wi-Fi VPNs | FAQs
Comparing the Best VPN for Public WiFi in India (servers, devices, cost, and more)
Here is a detailed comparison of the best VPN for public WiFi in India:
|No. of Servers||3000+||3200+||5500+|
|Best Pricing Package||INR 550.95/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan)||INR 189.98/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)||INR 329.58/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)|
|No. of countries||94+||100+||60+|
|No. of Devices||5||Unlimited||6|
|OS Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers|
|Money-back Guarantee||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days|
|Speed||89+ Mbps||81+ Mbps||83+ Mbps|
Best VPN for Public WiFi in India – Detailed Analysis
It is important to understand the VPN you will be using before installing them on your device to secure yourself from the dangers of a public VPN. Below is a detailed analysis of the best VPNs for public WiFi:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Public WiFi in India
- Offers 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Comes with a fantastic speed of 77 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- Offers security features like a MediaStreamer, kill switch, DNS leak protection, and more
- Compatible with Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Fire Stick, Smart TVs, and more
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for public WiFi in India because it has fast speed and excellent unblocking capabilities. With fast speed rates and a stable connection, it allows you to unblock and view content from an unstable base connection. ExpressVPN has 3000+ servers distributed in 94+ countries, enabling you to find a server even in most remote locations.
We used ExpressVPN online to secure our data on public WiFi and the connection was fast, reliable, and secure. We could stream content online without experiencing any glitches and issues with speed and security. Additionally, there were no data breaches throughout our sessions. You can see our IP/DNS requests remained hidden with ExpressVPN.
You can use ExpressVPN to browse safely online and also unblock geo-blocked content from any country. You can use it to unblock Youtube TV, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and other streaming platforms.
ExpressVPN also comes with various security features to secure and improve your online experience. It has an automatic kill switch, split tunneling, DNS/IP leak protection, 256-bit encryption, a light way protocol, and a no-logs policy, among other features. The VPN gives you an average of 99.99% uptime to ensure that you are always protected online.
It’s Mediastreamer, a feature that enables you to secure your data and stream geo-blocked content on devices that don’t support VPNs, including Apple TVs. We tried this feature on PS4 and managed to play games on public WiFi without experiencing buffering, lags, or other issues.
We did some ExpressVPN speed tests in India and managed to get a download speed of 89.42 Mbps, while the upload speed reached 84.64 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. You can use these great speeds to stream or download content online without buffering.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for multiple devices in India. You can use it on Android, FireOS, iOS, macOS, Windows, and more. This means that you can download the app on various streaming devices, including smartphones, Firestick, PCs, tablets, Android TVs, gaming consoles, and any other preferred streaming device.
You can get ExpressVPN for as low as INR 550.95/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan). All plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee, and there is also ExpressVPN free trial in India for mobile users, and 24/7 customer care support through live chat. All these features ensure that you use the VPN without issues.
Go through our ExpressVPN review in India for more details.
- Fast-speed servers in 94+ countries
- Encryption and a kill switch to keep you safe on public WiFi
- 24/7 live chat support
- Unblocks geo-blocked content on major streaming services, including Netflix
- Robust security features to prevent intruders on public Wi-Fi
- Expensive than other premium VPNs
- Most streaming servers aren’t labeled
2. Surfshark – Budget-Friendly VPN for Public WiFi in India
- Offers 3200+ servers in 100 countries
- Comes with an average speed of 75.43 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- Offers security features like a kill switch, Whitelister, MultiHop, and more
- Compatible with iOS, Windows, Smart TVs, Roku, Kodi, macOS, Android, and more
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN for public WiFi, offering the lowest subscription plan costing INR 189.98/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). All plans are bundled with a 30-day money-back guarantee to test the VPN risk-free. It has 3200+ servers in 100+ countries, enabling you to find a server almost everywhere you want to.
We tried Surfshark when browsing and streaming content using public WiFi and the connection was fast, reliable, and also secure. We managed to carry out our activities online without experiencing stutters or frozen screens.
It features some advanced security features, such as 256-bit encryption, a NoBorders Mode, and a Camouflage mode to keep you secure on Public Wi-Fi. It has a robust Kill switch that activates instantly upon detecting a connection failure. A strict no-log policy ensures that your data remains private from intruders and other online snoopers present on the public network. We also conducted a DNS/IP leak to verify its effectiveness and the results turned out to be great:
Other than browsing, you can use Surfshark to also stream geo-blocked content in almost all major streaming platforms, including Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer, among others. Moreso, it comes with a SmartDNS feature which enables you to stream content on platforms and devices that are not VPN-friendly.
We did some speed tests on Surfshark in India servers and managed to get a download speed of 81.32 Mbps, while the upload speed was 76.12 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. These are super-fast speeds to enable you to stream geo-blocked content without buffering.
As seen in the Surfshark review in India, the VPN is compatible with almost all operating systems and has dedicated apps for such, including iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS, and more. You can download the VPN on various streaming devices, including Firestick, smartphones, PCs, tablets, and smart TVs.
First-time users can also benefit from a Surfshark free trial in India that lasts for 7 days from the first day of sign-up.
- Reliable servers in 100+ countries
- Kill switch
- Automatic VPN WiFi hotspot protection
- Unlimited connections
- No log policy
- Occasional slow servers
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network VPN for Public WiFi in India
- Offers 5500+ servers in 60 countries
- Comes with an average speed of 76 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- Offers security features like a Nordlynx, obfuscated servers, kill switch, and more
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Fire Stick, Kodi, Roku, PS4, and more
- 30-day money-back guarantee available
NordVPN is the largest server network VPN for public WiFi, having over 5500 servers in 60+ countries for your use. You can use any of these servers to browse and also stream your preferred content online on public WiFi.
We used NordVPN to browse and stream content and the connection was reliable and fast. We didn’t experience any issues, buffering, or data breaches. The VPN worked flawlessly, thus improving our experience online.
NordVPN VPN comes with various streaming features, including a kill switch, obfuscation technology, Double VPN, 256-bit encryption, Multi-Hop, DNS/IP Leak Protection, and camouflage mode, among other features.
During our NordVPN speed tests in India, NordVPN had a download speed of 83.82 Mbps, while the upload speed was 44.64 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. These are much better speeds you can use to browse fast and stream HD content using any public WiFi.
When it comes to compatibility, the VPN works best on almost all operating systems, including Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, macOS, etc. It comes with dedicated apps, which you can install on various streaming devices, including Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, laptops, and more.
You can subscribe to NordVPN for as low as INR 329.58/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). All plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee, customer support, and NordVPN free trials in India, among other incentives, to keep you connected.
Get NordVPN today and enjoy a secure connection on any public WiFi. You can go through a detailed NordVPN review in India for a more detailed assessment of its features.
- 5400+ servers worldwide
- Fast speeds to stream geo-blocked content on major streaming platforms, including Netflix
- Automatic VPN connection when using public WiFi
- Can secure 6 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 customer care support via live chat
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No available app for routers
How to use a VPN on Public WiFi in India? Step-by-Step
It is important that you install and use the VPN as required to enjoy its full benefits on public WiFi. Below are the steps on how to use a VPN on public WiFi:
- Subscribe to a reliable public WiFi VPN. Our best choice is ExpressVPN, which is fast, reliable, and secure.
- Download the VPN on your streaming device, following the installation instructions.
- Launch the VPN and sign in with your account details.
- Click “Quick connect” to connect to the next available fast server. You can also choose your preferred server among the options given. For instance, if you want to stream content from the USA, you need to click the USA and choose any of the servers there.
- Enjoy a VPN WiFi Hotspot.
Our Methodology For Picking the Best VPN for Public WiFi in India
The VPN market is so saturated that you can even find a free VPN in India to secure your online activities. But are VPNs the same? Absolutely not! Not all VPNs are the same and you need to find the best VPN for public WiFi that can secure you online. Here are some of the things we keep checking to find the best VPNs for public WiFi.
- Server Choice: Your chosen VPN should have servers in your preferred location to enable you to stream or browse content from that area. For instance, if you prefer content from the USA, your VPN should have reliable servers in the USA. The best way is to find a VPN with servers in almost every country in the world.
- Speed: Speed matters a lot when browsing or streaming content online. While this will depend on your internet connection, some VPNs might slow down your connection. You will need to find a VPN with fast speeds to improve your online experience. For instance, ExpressVPN has fast servers that almost match your current internet speed.
- Security: One of the main reasons for using a VPN is to enhance your security online. You need to find a VPN with advanced security features, including a kill switch, threat manager, strong encryption, and data obfuscation, among others, to secure your data and identity online when connected to a Public Wi-Fi. Moreover, ensure your VPN has a no-logs policy to ensure it doesn’t store and sell your data online.
- Usability and Utility: Your chosen VPN should have an easy-to-use interface and features so that you don’t have issues when using the VPN online. For instance, it should be easy to log in, connect, and change servers when required. This ensures that you don’t suffer inconveniences when using the VPN.
- Unblocking Ability: You need to choose a VPN with unlocking abilities, including bypassing geo-restrictions and unblocking geo-blocked content. Most premium VPNs like the ones listed above can unblock content from almost all major streaming platforms, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, peacock TV, Disney+, etc, in various countries. This feature will enable you to stream content from various countries without issues.
FAQs on Best VPN for Public WiFi in India
Is a VPN good for public WiFi in India?
Yes, you will need a VPN to protect your identity and data when using public WiFi in India. Public WiFi can be used by anyone, including hackers, to snoop on your web traffic and record or gather data on what you are doing, making them vulnerable at all times. A VPN is recommended for anyone who uses public wifi.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Public WiFi in India?
Yes, you can use the best free VPN for public WiFi in India. However, we do not recommend using free VPNs for public WiFi as they are also not secure and are always unreliable. They lack advanced security features, including a kill switch and DNS protection. When using public WiFi, you should use a premium VPN service, like ExpressVPN, to protect your data and identity.
Can a VPN protect you on public WiFi in India?
Yes, you can use a VPN to protect you on public WiFi in India. A VPN will secure your internet traffic and block hackers and other threats that might be on public WiFi. They have encryption to prevent hackers and anyone who tries to snoop on your web traffic. However, using a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN is essential to enjoy full protection online.
If you use public WiFi in banks, coffee shops, schools, or any other public area, you and your data will be at risk of hackers and other online threats. Public WiFi is always insecure and unreliable, especially if you are using it on websites and apps with your data. However, you can use the best VPN for Public WiFi in India to secure your connection and remain secure online.
This article has discussed steps and details you can use to protect yourself when using public WiFi. Our experimentation found ExpressVPN to be the best VPN for WiFi with robust security and privacy standards. Download it on your devices and stay protected from all the online threats that come with public WiFi.