If you’re looking for the best VPN for Tomato routers in Canada, you are at the right place! Here, we are taking a look at some paid VPNs that are compatible with routers. As Tomato routers require OpenVPN configuration files, not all VPNs are compatible with them.
Tomato is a firmware software designed to boost router functionality and correct faults in off-the-shelf software. By putting a VPN on your Tomato router in Canada, you can easily secure all the devices that you use commonly. The trick is good, although it’s hard to pick a reliable VPN in Canada for tomato firmware.
To help our readers, we, after testing more than 40 VPNs, have compiled a list of our 3 best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada. So let’s begin!
Quick Overview: 3 Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada 
For those of you who are in a hurry, we’ve made a quick overview of our top selection. By reading it, you can get an idea about our suggestions. So, here are the 3 Best VPNs for Tomato Routers in Canada.
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Tomato Router in Canada: ExpressVPN is the best VPN that offers incredible features and a wide range of compatibility with different devices, including all sorts of routers and devices. ExpressVPN has good 3000 servers in almost 94 countries.
- Surfshark – Budget-Friendly VPN: Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN that outclasses almost all top-quality VPN services by its good encryption, fast speed, user-friendly interface, compatibility, and, most importantly, subscription rates. Surfshark also covers around 100 countries with 3200+ servers.
- NordVPN – Largest Server Network: NordVPN is the largest servers Network VPN that has been a customer favorite for its super-fast speed, encryption, wide range of compatibility, and advanced features. NordVPN has 5500+ servers in 60 countries.
Straight jump to see Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada – Detail Analysis | FAQs
Why Do You Need a VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada?
Using a VPN on a Tomato router in Canada has many major advantages, which you should be aware of. Let’s discuss some of them here:
- Protect several devices—It’s a reliable way to protect all devices connected to your network. Furthermore, if you set up a connection to your router, it’ll count as a single device which means you have extra connections to cover other devices that may not be on the same network.
- VPN on non-compatible devices— After you install the VPN on your router, you can secure all your devices, including those that do not ordinarily run VPN software, such as gaming consoles and some smart TVs.
- Access geo-restricted content— A VPN on your network allows you to access the geo-restricted content on your chosen devices easily. You can access all those websites that are unavailable in Canada with the help of a VPN
- Double protection— By configuring your VPN at the router, and all the connected devices will have improved privacy and security. With such high security, you can easily use public networks in Canada, i.e., workplaces or public wifi, without fear of cyber threats.
3 Best VPNs for Tomato Routers in Canada [In-depth Analysis – 2023]
Here are our best VPNs for Tomato Routers in Canada; let’s take an in-depth analysis of each VPN.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada
- More than 3000 servers in 94 countries
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Allow torrenting
- P2P-sharing file
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for tomato routers in Australia that offers incredible features and a wide range of compatibility with different devices, including all sorts of routers and devices. ExpressVPN has 3000+ servers in almost 94 countries. It uses military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and has no logging policy. It also offers DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection along with a kill switch.
To understand ExpressVPN features better, we evaluated all the available features. First off, we tried configuring ExpressVPN on our router. First, we opened the router interface and changed the stock firmware to our Tomato firmware. Afterwards, we connected our router to our Android TV and streamed Netflix with ExpressVPN in Canada. Overall, our experience with ExpressVPN was spectacular.
In terms of ExpressVPN speeds in Canada, our colleagues also compared it to other VPN providers side by side. Our experiments revealed that ExpressVPN is faster when streaming, torrenting, or playing games. We got a superb downloading speed of 89.42 Mbps and an unbelievable upload speed of 84.64 Mbps over a 100 Mbps connection.
ExpressVPN is unarguably fast in almost every aspect. If you want to connect your router to it, you can easily do so. Simply navigate to your router’s configuration and change your protocol to Open VPN before inserting ExpressVPN configuration files, or simply purchase a flash router that is already configured with Tomato; you just need to plug it in to get started. You can use ExpressVPN routers in Canada like DD-WRT or ASUS-WRT.
ExpressVPN allows five simultaneous connections across multiple devices. Users in Canada can install ExpressVPN on almost every single device. Remember that the only limitation is the number of simultaneous connections, not the number of installations. ExpressVPN is suitable for almost all kinds of routers. Similarly, ExpressVPN provides user-friendly applications for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, and several other platforms. It can also can protect IoT devices, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
ExpressVPN aims to offer its subscribers the most advanced encryption technology available. It utilizes AES-256-bit encryption to secure its customers’ personal information. This encryption is very strong and unbreakable. Its 256-bit keyspace is impossible to decrypt, even for supercomputers.
This signifies that your data is entirely safe with 256-bit encryption, and there is no risk of data breaches. Similarly, ExpressVPN developed the Lightway protocol to outperform all other protocols in terms of speed, dependability, and security while offering a standard range of protocols such as OpenVPN and IKEv2.
ExpressVPN is absolutely the best, but it is more expensive than its competitors; ExpressVPN rates decrease when you commit to a longer-term membership. ExpressVPN offers three membership options: a 12-month subscription, a six-month subscription, and a monthly subscription. Each subscription starts at CA$ 9.05/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan).
ExpressVPN provides highly reliable customer support that will help you anytime. You can contact them anytime if you have any issues regarding your account.
They will respond appropriately. Because email can take some time, it’s best to live chat with them. Live chat is the quickest option to get a response. Finally, if you want to use this VPN for free, you can do so with ExpressVPN free trial Canada for Android and iOS users.
For more information, check out our comprehensive ExpressVPN review Canada.
- Super fast speed
- An admirable number of servers
- Strong encryption mechanism
- A good number of privacy features
- Cooperative customer support
- A little expensive
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Tomato Routers
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries + regional servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Allows Torrenting
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN that outclasses almost all top-quality VPN services by costing just CA$ 3.12/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).It provides good encryption, fast speed, a user-friendly interface, compatibility, and, most importantly, subscription rates. Surfshark also covers around 100 countries with its 3200+ servers. It uses military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and a strict no-logging policy. It also offers DNS leak protection, MultiHop, and a kill switch.
To better understand each feature, we deeply analyzed Surfshark before recommending it to you. Initially, we connected to Surfshark after configuring our router with Tomato. We opened various streaming sites like HBO Max in Canada, Netflix, Hulu, and they opened quite quickly without any issues.
Following that, we conducted Surfshark speed test in Canada and determined that it was super quick. Surfshark surpasses its competitors on a 100 Mbps connection, with an excellent downloading speed of 81.32 Mbps and a dependable upload speed of 76.12 Mbps.
Generally, Surfshark is a very reliable VPN because it provides you with the comfort that no other VPN can offer. With Surfshark, you can easily connect your Tomato router and stream different sites in Canada. There’s no complexity in connecting Surfshark on router in Canada. You can connect Surfshark with other types of firmware, like DD-WRT, ASUS-WRT, and many more.
Another excellent feature of Surfshark is the ability to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. This is an intriguing feature because it saves you from purchasing another membership for your other devices.
Surfshark is very good at connecting and providing services to different routers. Likewise, the Surfshark app is also available for Android phones, tablets, iPhones, and iPad users. The same is true whether you use Surfshark on Windows or Mac OS with your Android TV, FireTV, or Nvidia Shield TV.
Surfshark subscriptions are really affordable. Surfshark’s monthly subscription makes no difference. However, long-term memberships are quite cost-effective when compared to other VPN services.
In the case of a problem, Surfshark provides customer care. Contact them immediately via email or live chat if you are facing some sort of trouble. You may also read FAQs on their webpage. Finally, if you wish to try this VPN for free, sign up for its Surfshark free trial Canada to comprehend its service fully.
Surfshark for the Tomato router is available with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Buy Surfshark for the Tomato router. To learn more about this affordable VPN, check out our thorough Surfshark review Canada.
- The service isn’t very expensive.
- A good number of servers. (3200+)
- Unlimited Bandwidth.
- Powerful encryption.
- Incredible unblocking ability.
- Customer service is terrible.
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network VPN for Tomato Routers
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Allows Torrenting
- NordLynx (makes it lightning-fast)
- P2P file sharing is allowed
NordVPN is the largest server network VPN that has been a customer favorite for its super-fast speed, encryption, a wide range of compatibility, and advanced features. NordVPN has 5500+ servers in 60 countries. It offers a double VPN feature, has a strict no-logging policy, with a customizable kill switch and IP leak protection.
As part of our dedication to helping our users, we have looked at and tested the NordVPN service. Overall, the test was long and complicated, but we will still discuss some major aspects we liked about NordVPN.
Initially, our task was to ensure that NordVPN could sync with a Tomato compatible router. To learn that, we configured the router and changed the firmware to tomato. Afterwards, we linked our NordVPN on Router in Canada and connected our Android TV to the router. After that, we tried streaming Netflix with NordVPN in Canada, which was easily accessible.
Secondly, we performed NordVPN speed test in Canada and checked overall performance. It was surprising to discover that NordVPN’s Nordlynx protocol provides exceptionally fast speeds. On a 100 Mbps connection, we achieved a remarkably fast downloading speed of 83.82 Mbps and a fair upload speed of 44.64 Mbps.
Regarding services, NordVPN is undoubtedly a tough competitor. It is superb in almost every aspect. If you want to use a VPN on a Tomato router in Canada, all you need to do is configure your router.
After that, you can easily use NordVPN on your other devices. NordVPN offers services for a wide range of router models and software firmware. You can use NordVPN on other kinds of routers, like DD-WRT routers, Asus-WRT routers, and others.
Users of the NordVPN service in Canada can use several devices at the same time. After purchasing a subscription, users can readily connect up to six devices simultaneously. Similarly, NordVPN is compatible with a wide range of devices. As a result, you can connect to NordVPN with practically any device, including different kinds of routers, Linux OS, Windows PCs, Mac OS, iPads, iPhones, Android devices, Chromebooks, Macbooks, Android TVs, and more.
The security mechanisms of NordVPN are fully unbreakable. To protect customers from hacker attacks, NordVPN employs AES-256 bit encryption technology. AES-256 bit, the most contemporary encryption technology that cannot be decrypted, means it’s impossible to crack. With such sophisticated encryption technology, you can browse the internet without any fear of data breaches.
A NordVPN subscription is fairly priced at CA$ 5.41/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). NordVPN offers a variety of pricing options. NordVPN has three major plans: two years, one year, and one month each.
Furthermore, NordVPN provides exceptional customer service. Contact NordVPN’s customer service team if you require assistance or have questions about the service. They are available 24 hours a day by email or live chat.
Buy NordVPN for tomato router and get a 30-days cash-back policy. If you want to learn more about this VPN provider, check out our thorough NordVPN review Canada.
- A trustworthy encryption mechanism
- Outstanding performance
- Effective unblocking features
- Customer service is good
- Globally available large server network
- The browser plugin contains some flaws
Methodology: How to choose Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada?
We understand that choosing a VPN is quite hard. So to help you, we have created a list of factors that you have to consider before choosing a good VPN in Canada. So here they are.
- Router Support— Many VPNs show problems with different routers, so before choosing a VPN, it’s good to check whether the VPN supports your router model or not. Our suggested VPNs work best with many Tomato routers.You can choose our VPNs if you want to have a wide range of router support.
- Speeds— Another crucial aspect is to evaluate the VPNs’ speed. Without good speed, you can’t enjoy anything on the internet. That’s why speed and stability are major elements of a VPN. The performance of a VPN is commonly measured by its ability to load a website quickly. We always expect the VPN to respond quickly, instantaneously, and consistently. Our VPNs are well-known for their dependability and speed.
- The presence of privacy features like Split-tunneling, Kill switch, DNS Protection, IP Static, Threat manager, and some others are necessary as it saves users from several cyberattacks. To ensure a safe online environment, it’s better for a VPN to have all these advanced features.
- Streaming— Most people buy VPN services just to enjoy geo-restricted content. If you’re one of them, it’s important to check the streaming performance of the VPN. Many VPN services fail to provide a comfortable streaming experience. So it’s best to check before buying one.
- Security— A robust encryption technique is also crucial for security. Without good security, you can’t confirm whether you’re safe from hackers or not. But if you’re using a VPN with AES-256-bit encryption technology, you can easily surf any web on the internet, as AES-256-bit provides unbreakable security for their users.
- Server selection— A good VPN has many servers within its network. As servers help with data transfer, it’s essential for users to pick a VPN with more servers. If your VPN doesn’t have many server options, you might expect a delay in its performance.
- Value of money— Many VPNs have problems related to their services which is why they can’t completely provide value for their money. A reliable VPN service always has all features that it claims on-site.
- Customer service— Commonly, users may encounter a problem or face any issue with their accounts. So that’s why it’s necessary to have good customer service for a VPN. Our suggested VPN offers help 24/7 via Emails and Live chat.
Quick Comparison Table: Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada
Here’s a quick comparison of each of our best for Tomato routers. It will give you a better idea of which is superior. So let’s get in.
|Compatible Devices||Routers, Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4&5 and more||Routers, iOS, Nintendo, Android, Windows, Xbox, Roku, etc||Routers, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firestick, Roku, PS etc|
|Average Speed (Base: 100 Mbps)||89.42+ Mbps||81.32+ Mbps||83.82+ Mbps|
|Simultaneous Device Connections||5||Unlimited||6|
|Lowest Price||CA$ 9.05/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan)||CA$ 3.12/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)||CA$ 5.41/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)|
|Detailed Review||ExpressVPN Review||Surfshark Review||NordVPN Review|
How to set up a Tomato router?
Although setting up Tomato firmware on your router isn’t easy, The good news is, if you’re a computer whiz and a techie, you can configure Tomato firmware on your router yourself. So here are all the steps you need to take while setting up Tomato firmware on your router.
- Download recovery software from your router’s manufacturer.
- Download Tomato firmware that is compatible with your router model.
- Open recovery software and prepare all files, and set the pathway.
- Put your router into recovery mode.
- Then, upload your Tomato firmware on the modem and then install it. However the process is long, but you have to do it quickly.
- Clear NVRAM so that all the old firmware files get totally out of the path.
- Link your router with a device and then enter your router’s IP address on the browser address bar.
- Log into your Tomato firmware with your default username and password.
- After that, you’re good to go.
The process seems to be easy, but remember that if you make any unwanted changes to your modem, that will end up bricking your entire router.
How to set up a VPN for Tomato Routers?
After you’re done setting up Tomato firmware on your router, it’s time to set up a VPN. If you don’t have a VPN, you can easily buy one with our recommendation. Our recommended VPNs are best at providing phenomenal service to our Tomato routers in Canada. Once you’ve done that, you can easily proceed with our steps.
- Download OpenVPN from your VPN service providers. (This is a very special step, as most free VPNs don’t provide you with OpenVPN configuration files)
- Access your Tomato firmware on your router.
- From there, open the control panel, go to VPN-tunneling, and click on OpenVPN clients.
- Add basic info in all the sections. If you are facing trouble with that, you can ask your VPN service providers.
- In the keys tab, you need to put all the required information. Just paste all the text of the .opvn configuration file into the correct field.
- Hit the save button. Now that’s all for configuring OpenVPN, and you’re ready to connect any VPN servers.
- After that, click on “Start establishing a connection” and check the connection status.
Tomato vs. DD-WRT for VPN users
Advantages of Tomato over DD-WRT: Tomato is an excellent choice and a great alternative to DD-WRT for anyone looking to upgrade their router with powerful open-source firmware. In the debate of DD-WRT vs Tomato, here are some advantages Tomato has over DD-WRT.
- Unlike DD-WRT, Tomato is specifically for routers that have Broadcom processors, making it a great choice for those looking for a reliable and secure connection.
- With Tomato, you can access remote networks and browse the web securely without worrying about your data being intercepted or tracked.
- Tomato also offers a variety of other features, including bandwidth monitoring, wireless access control, and parental controls.
- Tomato is incredibly user-friendly, making it easy to configure and customize your router so if you’re looking for powerful, secure, and easy-to-use firmware
- Tomato has its own wireless survey page that assists users in choosing the best wireless network channel to utilize. You’ll receive a notification if you ever need some upgrades. Some builds include Tor, BitTorrent, and USB compatibility.
- Tomato allows you to get connections with two OpenVPN connections. This means users configure two OpenVPN connections and switch between them with ease. This can be advantageous if one of your servers is unavailable or overloaded or if you need to connect to a different location.
Advantages of DD-WRT over Tomato
Overall, there’s not much of a difference, but still, we will point out some major advantages of DD-WRT over Tomato.
- In comparison to Tomato, DD-WRT supports a greater number of router models.
- There is support for alternate subnets and repeaters in DD-WRT
- DD-WRT offers more advanced integrated choices for tech-savvy users.
Don’t use PPTP
PPTP, or point-to-point tunneling protocol is one of the older VPN protocols. It is commonly available, with support integrated into a wide range of PCs, cellphones, and routers; similarly, Tomato is one of them. However, PPTP has many security weaknesses, which can be easily hacked with little effort and expertise. Due to this, it’ll be better to skip this protocol.
While not secure, PPTP does have a handful of advantages. It is simpler to set up than OpenVPN and other protocols and is slightly faster. Nonetheless, we strongly prefer OpenVPN above all other protocols.
Disadvantages of setting up a VPN on your router
After discussing the benefits of setting up a VPN on a router, it is time to inform our readers about some of the disadvantages of doing so. So here they are.
- All your devices will be tunneled over a single VPN connection, which could become overloaded if you have multiple devices connected to the router. This can be mitigated to some extent by employing split tunneling (policy-based routing) for specific devices, but it is not simple to set up.
- Switching servers on a VPN router is difficult if the server you’ve configured a connection to is unavailable. Tomato firmware enables two distinct client VPNs to process simultaneously; however, setting up a new server is time-consuming. These issues are easier to manage with pre-configured routers or stock firmware, such as that provided by ExpressVPN.
- Similarly, setting up a VPN on a router can reduce your connection’s speed. As some routers are less powered, it becomes hard for them to encrypt ongoing traffic completely and decrypt incoming traffic.
Can I use a free VPN with Tomato in Canada?
No, you can’t. According to our research, most free VPNs lack all configuration files and software tutorial guides. Similarly, a premium VPN offers everything at once.
A premium VPN with outstanding customer service and online tutorials is a more trustworthy solution. The money-back policy is also available in the premium VPNs, so you can test them out on your router without risk.
So, if you want a VPN for a Tomato router, it’ll be better to try our recommendation.
Which version of Tomato should you use?
If you go online and search for Tomato firmware, you’ll come across several different versions. Some of them are now outdated and not very good for daily usage. These are all Tomato firmware.
AdvancedTomato is the most advanced and up-to-date version of all of these versions. All other versions of Tomato haven’t been quite updated for many years, so it’s not good to try them. Whereas advancedTomato is fully up-to-date, has all the necessary features, and is available for most router models.
FAQs – Best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada
Does tomato support VPN in Canada?
Yes, Tomato does. In fact, you can install Tomato firmware on your router in Canada, but before that, you have to check whether Tomato firmware is compatible with your router or not. Also, you have to keep an eye on the presence of OpenVPN. Our suggested VPNs are some of the best VPNs for Tomato routers. You can easily configure them on your router without any issues.
So, you can use a VPN on your Tomato router.
What are the best routers for running a Tomato VPN in Canada?
To decide the best router for Tomato, there are numerous router models to choose from. After checking more than 30 routers, we can say we have found some of the best routers for Tomato. Here are a few of them.
- Asus RT-N66U
- ASUS RT-AC3200
- ASUS RT-AC66U
- D-Link DIR-868L
- D-Link DIR-868L
- NETGEAR WNR3500L
- Netgear R series*
- NETGEAR Nighthawk series*
- Tenda W1801R/W1800R Wireless AC1750
- Linksys EA6900
Is it worth putting VPN on tomato router in Canada?
Yes, putting a VPN on your tomato router in Canada is very beneficial. Setting up each of your devices with the VPN can become frustrating. Whereas, setting up a VPN on your router can be more useful than configuring a VPN on only some of your devices: By configuring a VPN on your router, your entire home network, including the Internet of Things (IoT) and smart home devices, becomes secure.
By applying a VPN to a router, any device that is able to connect to your network can connect to the VPN.
No doubt, Tomato firmware offers a lot of benefits to its users. If you are searching for the best VPN for Tomato routers in Canada, then you will be glad to know there are quite a few options out there. The most reliable choices are those that we recommend to our readers especially ExpressVPN.
However, if you want to use a free VPN, we’ll say that they aren’t good for routers, and lack configuration files. That’s why it is best to stick with a trustworthy VPN service.
If you want fast, reliable, and router compatible VPN, try our suggestions. You can be certain that your data is secure and private on your Tomato router by using our recommendations. So that’s all for the best VPN for Tomato Routers in Canada.