In a world where online freedom of citizens is becoming increasingly restricted, Hong Kong offers a free and open cyberspace. There is very limited censorship in the country, as only explicitly objectionable content such as child pornography is blocked in Hong Kong.
This is why Hong Kong can be considered as safe haven for netizens. Hence, VPN services with Hong Kong servers can be quite useful for users who want to maintain their privacy and anonymity online. Using one of the best VPN services would provide maximum security to privacy-conscious users from all over the world.
In this post, we will review the top 5 VPN services for Hong Kong.
5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong
The demand for VPN services is one the rise across the world. The increase in malicious cyber-attacks and government surveillance is compelling the online community to seek ways for enhancing their privacy and security.
As such, the VPN industry is expanding at an unprecedented rate owing to higher demand. With the multitude of VPNs available today, selecting the list of top 5 requires extensive research. Our review in the following passages will help you learn about the key features of the best VPN services for Hong Kong.
VPN Providers Price ($) Special Deals More Info
Exclusive Discount 2 years Plan
2 Years Deal
3 Years Plan
No Exclusive Offer
3 Years Deal
Offers Excellent Features at Nominal Subscription Rates
The kill switch shuts down your Internet connection in case the VPN server you are connected to suffers a drop in speed. In this situation, the user can be exposed to the regular Internet without the kill switch. Therefore, PureVPN is the best Hong Kong VPN.
Moreover, its strong privacy-protecting mechanisms make it the best VPN for China as well, where users have virtually no online privacy.
- Provides more than 790 servers in 141 countries
- Offers Kill switch feature
- Follows zero-logging policy
- Compatibility with Windows, iOS, and Android devices
- Offers only 7-day money-back guarantee
Being a Hong Kong based VPN service; PureVPN offers reasonably good speeds to users. The speed factor is not comprised of download speed, as VPN connection server timing is also crucial. You can connect to the server of your choice in no time
Check out an exclusive guide on VPN speed test guide.
The brand has 24 servers in Hong Kong that allows you to protect your privacy instantly. The server count looks appealing as you have a luxury to use your preferred server. In case, if one of the servers does not connect, you can opt another server.
What sets PureVPN apart from other providers is the availability of tunneling protocols list. You may avail various tunneling protocols like PPTP, SSTP, IKEv2, and most importantly OpenVPN. If you use OpenVPN, you may improve your privacy and anonymity to new heights.
This is because the said tunneling protocol provides 256-bit military grade encryption by default. Hence, you can safeguard your online activities from ISPs and other data surveillance agencies hassle-free.
When you sign up for a VPN service, you put a lot of trust in that organization. The reliability aspect is make or break situation for any VPN service. In terms of reliability, PureVPN is fulfilling your expectations by masking your IP addresses. As a result, you can perform your desired online activities anonymously.
How to Setup?
The task of setting up PureVPN on your devices is straightforward. Here is how you can do:
- Right click on your LAN or Wi-Fi connection then click on network settings
- You should click on VPN> Add a VPN connection
- Provide the following information
You should choose Windows through VPN provider drop down menu. After selecting, write the name of your liking and provide your preferred server address in server name. You must select point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP) or any other protocol along with username and password.
- Provide your VPN service username and password and click Save
- Click on newly developed VPN connection
- Click on connect and wait for few moments to connect
PureVPN is an interesting choice for those users who want to avail privacy at minimal cost. You can get different benefits like 31 days money back guarantee that helps to use the service on your preferred devices accordingly. This way, you can find the pros and cons of the provider in detail.
Find out more about this service in our in-depth PureVPN review.
2. NordVPN Is A State-of-the-Art VPN Service for Hong Kong
NordVPN is one of the most trusted VPN providers in the market. It is a Panama-based VPN provider, which allows it to leverage the county’s strong privacy laws for complete security of users. In addition, NordVPN has a large network of servers distributed across many geographical regions.
Through fast servers and strong encryption, users can connect to Hong Kong servers of NordVPN and surf the web with complete autonomy. Therefore, NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for Hong Kong. Moreover, users looking for a VPN for Japan can rely on NordVPN, as it offer 34 Japanese servers.
- Offers more than 4400 servers geographically dispersed in 60+ countries
- Strictly adheres to zero-logging
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Double VPN feature offers robust security
- Server speed might drop if double VPN is enabled
In terms of speed, NordVPN has surpassed their users’ expectations. On 30Mbps internet connection, you can get 28.73 Mbps speed on average. You can attain the same level of speeds on different servers throughout.
NordVPN provides a comprehensive list of servers in Hong Kong. This is how you can secure your privacy as per your own terms. The Panama based service has an active presence in the country through its 33 servers. After connecting to your preferred servers, you can overcome ISP throttling hassles smartly.
NordVPN offers an impressive list of tunneling protocols. The list includes OpenVPN, SSTP, PPTP, IKEv2 and other protocols. Through these protocols, you can safeguard your data from the vicious eyes of online hackers to another level.
NordVPN headquarter is based in Panama. You should take a deep breath as the provider is operating from a user-friendly country. Their logging policy suggests that they do not keep their users’ log. You can use the service without fearing monitoring or any other surveillance threats.
NordVPN provides user-friendly apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Smart TVs. Subscribers can download and install VPN apps on their devices through the official site straightaway. The installation process is simple and does not need any rocket science.
How to Setup?
Here is the list of steps you should follow to install NordVPN app on Windows 10 device:
- Go to the official site and click on download option
- Through NordVPN folder, you should double click NordVPN setup.exe installation file
- You will see a new window popup on your screen, click yes to continue the process
- OpenVPN TAP adapter installation will appear if you are installing the app for first time
- Click Next, I agree, Next and install to open the installer screen
- Click install to start the installation process
- You will see NordVPN app showing and starting in a new window
- You should connect allowing NordVPN to install a TAP driver
- Provide your NordVPN credential to login
- Click on the big round Quick connect button to connect with the server automatically
NordVPN offers a neat user-interface feature. The brand provides 33 servers in Hong Kong that helps you in bypassing issues like ISP throttling and logging. You can avail its 3 day free trial feature to check the performance of the service.
Read our exclusive NordVPN review or further information about this VPN provider.
Delivers Strong Overall VPN Performance
ExpressVPN is an industry leader in the domain of VPN services. This VPN provider has a geographically dispersed network of servers in 94 countries. ExpressVPN uses all the most up-to-date protocols such as OpenVPN for maximum encryption strength.
Although ExpressVPN is slightly more expensive than other VPN providers in the market, it offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee. Hence, for users that can afford it, ExpressVPN is arguably the best VPN for Hong Kong.
- Offers a wide range of servers throughout the world
- Users can avail money-back guarantee for up to 30 days
- Provides unlimited bandwidth on all servers
- Offers dedicated servers for torrenting
- Slightly expensive subscription plans
ExpressVPN provides impressive speeds that allow you to perform different online tasks timely. You can enjoy seamless streaming experience on different servers throughout. The stability factor makes ExpressVPN a standout performer among various VPN services.
This is because you will not experience much of variation when you try to switch servers across different locations.
ExpressVPN provides servers in Hong Kong that helps you in securing your privacy. When you connect to a server in the country, you can overcome ISP monitoring hassles a great deal. By doing so, you can conduct your crucial digital tasks securely.
ExpressVPN offers tunneling protocols like OpenVPN, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP. You can use all these protocols to encrypt your data. However, OpenVPN is one of the most effective protocols as it provides anonymity and security under one roof.
ExpressVPN has attractive apps that you can use on Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, iOS, and other devices. The installation procedure is easily accessible on the official website. Hence, you can download and install your required apps within minutes.
How to Setup?
Here is the list of steps you can follow to setup ExpressVPN on Windows devices:
- Download the app and open the welcome email and click the link in email
- After clicking the link, click on Download for Windows again
- Before using ExpressVPN, you will need to get your activation code
- After providing the activation code, you should install the app
- You should double click the downloaded file to start the setup process
- Click “install” and click “Yes” if you see a popup window on your screen
- You will have to install ExpressVPN TAP driver, click Install ExpressVPN network adapters when you observe Windows security screen
- You will see an installation completion notification on your screen
- Click “Close” to leave the setup wizard and open ExpressVPN
- Paste your activation code on ExpressVPN setup screen and click sign in
ExpressVPN is an expensive VPN service but offers next level security and anonymity to users. If you are not bothered about the budget, you can opt the provider to safeguard your privacy.
You can read our ExpressVPN review to gain a deeper understanding of this VPN provider.
Provides Robust Security and Ultra-Fast Speeds
IPVanish is a US based provider. This service delivers excellent speeds and strong security. The company has quickly risen the ranks among VPN providers, becoming one of the most trusted VPN companies in the market.
IPVanish offers unlimited bandwidth and simultaneous connections to 10 devices. For these reasons, IPVanish is one of the fastest VPNs for Hong Kong that you can use. Therefore, you can enjoy the online freedom afforded by Hong Kong servers with lightning fast speeds.
- Offers 256-bit military-grade encryption
- Has unlimited speed and bandwidth feature
- Provides dedicated servers for P2P networking
- Based in the US
IPVanish offers above average speeds to subscribers. The provider offers 24.86 Mbps on 30Mbps internet connection. It means you can get the same level of speed across various server locations. If you connect to the VPN server based in Hong Kong, you can perform your favorite online activities anonymously.
IPVanish offers 13 dedicated servers within the premises of Hong Kong. If you are unable to connect a VPN server, you can try another. As a result, you can get online freedom and protection on your preferred devices eventually.
IPVanish provides IKEv2, OpenVPN, and L2TP/IPsec protocols to Hong Kong users. This is how they can encrypt their data and deceive online monitoring hassles by a long distance. These protocols offer required level of anonymity and privacy to users those are residing in Hong Kong.
IPVanish allows you to enjoy its next level multi-login benefit. You can download and install different apps on your devices from anywhere. You can secure your ten (10) devices with a single account simultaneously.
How to Setup?
Here is the list of steps you should follow:
- Go to the official site and download the provider app on your device
- Click the VPN software button provided at the top corner of the site
- Choose your preferred operating system before clicking “Download Software”
- Now, you should download the installation file
- When you observe file security warning on your screen, click ‘Run’
- If you receive IPVanish can make changes to your computer message on your screen, click install
- Once you are done with VPN installation procedure, click “Launch to Open”
- Use your IPVanish username and password to access “Dashboard”
- Select your desired servers and protocols through drop down boxes
- Click connect button mentioned on the top right corner of Dashboard
- You will see a green symbol once you are connected
IPVanish offers robust online security and anonymity to users. For newbies, it is an ideal choice as they can download and install the apps on various devices with such an ease.
Explore more about this service in our detailed IPVanish review.
Provides VPN Rich Features at Low Costs
Ivacy is a Singapore-based VPN provider. Ivacy offers an impressive range of servers. It also uses OpenVPN an IKeV2 protocols that are known for providing high levels of security. The provider follows a no-logging policy
Ivacy also offers dedicated servers for P2P networking. Moreover, it has dedicated extensions for different apps as well as compatibility with large number of devices. Hence, it is a strong competitor for being the best VPN for Chrome.
Ivacy offers VPN services at some of the lowest rates. Therefore, if you are strapped for cash, Ivacy is the best VPN for Hong Kong available for cheap.
- Provides 275+ servers in more than 100 locations
- Offers cross-platform compatibility
- Affordable subscription plans
- Kill switch feature
- Does not offer free trial
Ivacy provides average speeds when connected to different servers. Still, it helps you to conduct various online tasks such as web surfing, media content streaming securely. You will experience same level of consistency in terms of speeds across a multitude of servers.
Ivacy is one of those VPN services that provide servers in Hong Kong. Thus, you can connect to your preferred server and gain online freedom accordingly. You can bypass ISP monitoring and throttling problems too.
Ivacy offers different tunneling protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, SSTP, L2TP, and IKEv2. Through these tunneling protocols, you can safeguard your data to new heights. You can also accomplish your diverse surfing needs without any fuss.
Ivacy provides different privacy advantages like IPv6 leak protection, internet kill switch and public Wi-Fi protection. All these features make Ivacy a reliable VPN service. Other features like secure DNS allow you to route your requests through its dedicated DNS server that averts any kind of DNS leak.
The brand offers easy to use installation guides to subscribers. These guides allow them to download and install their desired apps on their devices. The multi-login advantage enables users to secure their diverse devices at a time.
How to Setup?
- From its official site, you can click on “downloads” and select your preferred device
- Click on “Get Ivacy monitor on desktop” then click on “Download Now” again
- You should run Ivacy setup, click “yes” when Ivacy setup box will be opened
- You will see Ivacy setup wizard window will open, click ‘next’
- You will observe license agreement window popup on your screen
- Choose “I accept the agreement” and click ‘next’
- Select “destination location to install Ivacy VPN client software then click ‘next’
- Click next, through “select additional tasks” window
- Check “ create a desktop icon checkbox and click ‘next’
- You will witness ‘ready to install” window on your screen
- Click ‘install’, wait for installation process to complete
- The ‘completing the Ivacy setup wizard window will be opened
- Check the “launch Ivacy checkbox and click ‘finish’ button
- You will see Ivacy monitor for desktop icon on your screen
- Choose your preferred tunneling protocol from dashboard
- Provide your username and password in the required fields
- Choose purpose or country option through purpose selection menu
- Once you are connected, you will see a button in green color
Ivacy takes their users’ privacy seriously, as the service mainly operates from user-friendly location. The service provides budget friendly pricing plans that enable you to regain your online freedom within Hong Kong hassle-free.
You can learn more about this provider in our comprehensive Ivacy review.
|Top 5 Providers’ Comparison|
|Providers||Servers in Hong Kong||Compatibility||Multi-Logins||Money Back Guarantee||Free Trial|
|PureVPN||24 Servers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers and other devices||5 devices at a time||31-days||No|
|NordVPN||33 Servers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Routers||6 devices at a time||30 days||Yes|
|ExpressVPN||Exact Count Not Available||Provides apps for Windows, Mac, Android and other platforms||3 devices at a time||30 days||No|
|IPVanish||13 Servers||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers and other platforms||10 devices at a time||7 days||No|
|Ivacy||02 Servers||has dedicated apps for Android, iOS, and other platforms||5 devices at a time||7 days||No|
What is a Hong Kong VPN?
A Hong Kong VPN is a tunneling and encryption service that allows you to cloak your original IP under an IP from Hong Kong. In this case, any communication you engage in after connecting to the Hong Kong VPN server will place your virtual location in Hong Kong.
Another importance use of a VPN for the purpose of bypassing geo-restrictions. For instance, people in in Korean region are unable to access many censored websites. This problem can be can be deal with by using a VPN for Korea.
By activating a Hong Kong VPN on your device, you can hide your original identity from your ISP and government agencies. In addition, it will enable you to surf the Internet through a VPN server located in the privacy-friendly region of Hong Kong.
Why do You Need a VPN in Hong Kong?
A VPN service offers various advantages. Most importantly, using a VPN allows you to change your server and IP location to a different country. You can choose to surf the web through a server in a country that supports Internet freedom. Hong Kong is one such country, which is why you should choose the best VPN for Hong Kong and safely surf the web.
Another important advantage of a VPN is that it allows users to circumvent geo-restrictions. Numerous websites and services such as Netflix are only available within certain regions. Moreover, most Western countries are very strict against torrenting. If you need a secure access to these services, you will need a Hong Kong VPN of high quality.
How to Use a VPN in Hong Kong
Using a VPN in Hong Kong is an extremely simple task. Read the steps below to learn how to set up a Hong Kong VPN:
- Select one of the VPNs from the list provided above
- Visit the provider’s website and choose a subscription plan that fits your needs
- Download the VPN software version compatible with your device
- Launch the VPN service
- Choose a server from Hong Kong
- Surf the Internet and enjoy uninhibited access to online services
With these steps, you can set up a VPN in no time. However, make sure you go with the best VPN for Hong Kong to avail maximum benefits. You may also need to know about the continental VPN which helps you bypass the Great Chinese Firewall.
How to Choose the Best VPN to Use in Hong Kong?
Most modern VPN services offer universal packages that include Hong Kong VPN services. If you are going for a paid service, then you should opt for a comprehensive package with complete features. Some people would argue that they plan on using a free VPN service to get a Hong Kong IP, but they only agree to do that once they realize that free ones are riddled with malware and phishing scams.
A good VPN service will have the following characteristics:
Speed is one of the most important factors that determine the success of any VPN service. You should select a VPN service that offers above average speeds at least to conduct various activities without any hassle.
2. Servers Locations
Your selected VPN service must have a large list of servers distributed in various regions including Hong Kong. You can easily connect to a VPN server in the country without anticipating connectivity issues.
Reliability is another aspect you should not ignore at any cost. Your chosen VPN service should not disclose your original IP addresses to ISPs in Hong Kong. It should not keep logs of users. Likewise, it should offer features like WebRTC protection and DNS leak protection.
A VPN should provide a military grade encryption to its subscribers. It means you will have to avail an OpenVPN protocol that uses 356-bit encryption by default. You can get anonymity and security both by OpenVPN protocol.
Other protocols like PPTP use 128-bit encryption but it does not offer you a required level of anonymity and protection. You had better not avail the above described protocol as it could become an easy target for hackers.
6. Money-Back Guarantee
Also, if this is your first time using a Hong Kong VPN, make sure that the VPN service provider you choose to go for provides a money back guarantee. Money back guarantees can vary from 6 hours to 30 days. However, most providers give a 7-day period for money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the service.
Best Free VPNs for Hong Kong
Nevertheless, not all free VPNs are unreliable. We researched the available free services in the VPN market and found three highly impressive providers.
These are ProtonVPN, TunnelBear, and Windscribe.
|Free Hong Kong VPN Comparison|
|Providers||Servers Availability in Hong Kong||Compatibility|
|ProtonVPN||Yes||Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|
|TunnelBear||Yes||Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|
|Windscribe||Yes||Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|
ProtonVPN is the best free VPN you can have for Hong Kong. It guarantees user privacy by moving traffic through privacy-friendly countries like Iceland and Switzerland. Therefore, ProtonVPN should be your go-to VPN provider if you want a free service.
ProtonVPN is the best free VPN you can have for Hong Kong. It guarantees user privacy by moving traffic through privacy-friendly countries like Iceland and Switzerland. Therefore, ProtonVPN should be your go-to VPN provider if you are looking for free service.
- Offers unlimited bandwidth feature
- Provides apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
- The service is not suitable for torrenting tasks
TunnelBear is another VPN service you can use within Hong Kong straightaway. The provider has a dedicated server that enables you to protect your digital identity from snoopers and other data surveillance groups.
- Provides apps for Windows, Mac and Android
- You can get additional 50 MB data feature if you tweet about TunnelBear
- Does not offer a huge servers’ network
Windscribe has a presence in Hong Kong and offers nine servers in the country. After connecting to your desired server, you can attain both online privacy and anonymity instantly. Above all, you do not need to pay a single penny to avail the service.
- Provides a dedicated Chrome browser version
- Has an appealing Windows desktop version
- Subscribers can face data bandwidth limitations
Explore a detailed guide on best free VPN to know about other free VPNs.
Comparing Paid & Free Hong Kong VPN Services
You can use any VPN service to encrypt and tunnel your data, but you will never have the confidence of knowing that your original IP is cloaked under an IP from Hong Kong unless you use a paid VPN service. It is a risk that some people are willing to take when their internet activity is not of a high priority. However, if you want complete online security and the internet freedom that comes from having an IP address from Hong Kong, then you need the coverage and support of a professional paid VPN service.
The added risk of using a free Hong Kong VPN over a paid one is that free VPN services tend to collect/log user data and then sell that data forward in order to make profits. They usually don’t have any other way of making profits, and they use the ‘FREE’ tag as a cover to lure in unsuspecting visitors.
Using a free VPN while you sit in the US might work from time to time, but when you are sitting in Hong Kong and surrounded by the world’s most unmerciful internet sentinel (I’m talking about China), there is very little margin for lapse.
Risks in Using a Hong Kong VPN
The democratic party of Hong Kong insists that the government claims to allow freedom of speech on the internet while secretly monitoring all emails. If this were true, it would have to make Hong Kong the world’s most volatile cyber space.
However, the track record indicates that the government does not take any actions against any users, unless pornography and copyright laws are violated.
Are VPNs illegal in Hong Kong?
No, VPN usage is legal in Hong Kong. Headquarters of different VPN services are working in the country without facing any difficulty. Through a Hong Kong VPN, you can spoof your online locations. You can also safeguard your digital whereabouts from online hackers to new heights.
How to Get Hong Kong IP Address
You can easily get a Hong Kong IP address using a VPN service. We recommend using only the best VPN for Hong Kong to obtain a Hong Kong IP address. As explained previously, a VPN masks your real IP address, making it seem as if your IP belongs to a different country.
Thus, to get a Hong Kong IP address and reclaim your online freedom, choose a VPN service that offers multiple Hong Kong servers. NordVPN has 44 servers located in Hong Kong, more than any other VPN provider. Therefore, you can get a variety of Hong Kong based IP addresses through NordVPN.
Once you have subscribed to a VPN service that offers servers in Hong Kong, you should follow this systematic guide to achieve your mission. Here is how you can do:
- Download and install VPN app on your device
- You should clear all cookies and cached data from your browser
- Start your device again
- Through your VPN account, log into your VPN app
- Choose a server in Hong Kong
- Wait for few seconds to establish VPN connection successfully
VPNs to Avoid in Hong Kong
Not all the VPNs do offer same level of anonymity and protection to users. Unfortunately, there is a handful of VPN services you should not use within Hong Kong. Here is the list of VPN services that consists of:
- Hotspot Shield
HolaVPN is not a typical VPN service at all. If you dig deep, you will find that it works like a peer-to-peer VPN. Surprisingly, the service has become a massive botnet army. HolaVPN was found in performing different malicious activities.
2. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield is a famous VPN service. Still, the brand compromised on its integrity by inserting cookies in users’ browsers. They also provided their subscribers’ data to third party marketers. If you avail the service, you may lose your critical information to advertisers.
As long as Hotspot Shield does not prove itself innocent, you should not use the service.
Hong Kong is among those regions in the world known for promoting Internet freedom and privacy. Therefore, users from anywhere in the world can enhance their privacy by using the best VPN for Hong Kong from our list.
We hope you found this article informative. Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments section.
Your feedback is important to us. Let us know if this article was helpful?