What is My IP Address? Everything You Need to Know
Do you want to know what your IP address is? If yes then you have arrived at the right place. In this guide, I will let you know what your original IP address is and why it is important to change your IP address. If you wish to access region-blocked sites after bypassing IP bans, keep reading my exclusive “What is my IP” guide.
What is My IP Address and how is it Exposed?
You might be wondering what is an IP address, or what does IP address stand for?
You can imagine an IP address as a digital mailing address. It is a unique number assigned to all the devices on your internet network. An IP address enables you to communicate with others over the web. Without an IP, websites such as Facebook, Twitter, or Google will not know where to send the information you requested.
An IP address is integral to your online presence, but it is also the source of privacy breaches. When you use ‘What’s my IP address’ tool, you will see that an IP address can be used to trace your digital footprints and identify critical information such as your location, the device you’re using, and the information that passes through this address.
Image Credit: PC & Tech Authority
How Can I Secure My IP Address?
To secure your IP address and protect your privacy, it is important that you use a VPN. It’s IP cloaking ability will mask your actual location (IP address) and make you anonymous over the Web. How is this achieved?
Your original IP address is camouflaged when you connect to a VPN server. This way you adopt the IP address of the VPN server. Therefore, the next time you check your real location using ‘What’s my IP address’, all you’ll find is the destination of the VPN server.
Image Source: Gun News Daily
What are the tools to check your IP Address?
Interestingly, you can use different tools that allow you to trace your IP address. These are:
- IP location, Map and details
- Trace Email Source
- Visual Traceroute
- IP to hostname lookup
- Hostname to IP lookup
- Advanced proxy check
IP location, Map and details
Through this tool, you can get information regarding your physical location that consists of country, state and city.
Trace email source
Trace email source enables you to find out the source IP address of an email based on email headers. It also discloses the location on a map.
This tool offers information about a traceroute mapped geographical representation from its server to the requested IP address.
IP to Hostname lookup
Through this tool, you can find an IP address hostname.
Hostname to IP lookup
You can find the IP address of a hostname with this tool.
Advanced Proxy check
If you are using a proxy server, you can check if your information is being exposed or not through this tool.
How to Change Your IP Address
You can change your IP address after following the below mentioned steps. Here is how you can do:
- Click start>Run>write CMD and hit enter
- Write ipconfig/release at prompt window and press enter to release current IP configuration
- Write ipconfig/release at prompt window and press enter
- Wait for few seconds as DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your system
This is how you can change your Windows XP IP address hassle-free. Similarly, you can perform the following steps to change your Windows 10 devices’ IP addresses:
- Hit Windows and X key simultaneously
- Click at command prompt, write ipconfig/release at command prompt window and hit enter
- It will release the current IP configuration, write ipconfig/renew at command prompt and wait
- The DHCP server will allocate a new IP address for your system
Image Credit: Techxerl
What Is IPv6?
IPv6 is an advanced version of an IPv4 protocol that offers identification and location system for computers. IPv6 addresses are 128 bits in length and consist of hexadecimal numbers. These addresses are expressed just like a sequence of eight 4-character hexadecimal numbers.
Things you should know about IP Address
Surprisingly, your IP addresses can harm your online privacy a great deal. Here is the list of different things that relate to your IP addresses:
- You must possess an IP address to be present online
- IP addresses are allocated to computer systems not users
- Other users can access to your online information through your IP address
- ISPs know about the actual name and address of user that correlates with IP address
- Websites can also trace your online behaviors
How does your IP address reveal about you and your online activities
There is no denying IP addresses may reveal your geo-location. However, it does not mean that your precise location is also traceable. Unfortunately, onlookers can still access to your online activities interlinked with your IP address.
Likewise, official authorities can also find your whereabouts if you are caught in illegal activities.
What is a VPN?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a privacy tool that creates encrypted tunnels between your device and the internet. It secures all the web traffic that is sent or received on your device and allows you to use the internet anonymously.
How does a VPN work?
A VPN works by tunneling all your web traffic through its servers and encrypting the data packets during the process. You can imagine all your Internet traffic traveling through a secure capsule which has multiple layers of security. And, the contents of your web traffic are encrypted into alphanumeric characters. This way no one, not even hackers, snoopers, phishes, surveillance agencies or any cyber criminal can see your internet activities and get hold of your personal information.
Why do you need a VPN?
In this day and age, there are infinite possibilities of using a VPN. With hackers and security vulnerabilities increasing on multiple platforms, intense pressure from governments to impose data retention laws, and continuous surveillance conducted by intelligence agencies, a VPN becomes the perfect defense mechanism against such threats.
Its tunneling and encrypting ability will safeguard your sensitive information and also make you anonymous. And, if you enjoy watching television shows and movies, then a VPN provides unlimited internet accessibility and helps to jump digital fences.
Now if you relish online gaming and want uninterrupted gameplay, a VPN provides protection against DDoS attacks and helps to lower latency under certain conditions. It also helps to bypass ISP throttling and allows you to savor blazing internet speeds.
Who Uses a VPN?
From securing your online privacy to unblocking content, a VPN offers unique benefits. That said, a VPN is an integral part of anyone’s online activity. Here are some everyday VPN users:
- Frequent Travelers: With popular social media channels and a host of websites blocked in different countries, a VPN is essential for anyone traveling abroad.
- The Privacy Cognizant User: As countries impose metadata retention laws and governments persist on spying on Netizens, your privacy is in grave danger. A VPN sorts this issue out by hiding your real location and preventing unwanted entities from surveying on your activities.
- Binge Watching Junkies: A VPN is like a best friend for such users. Geographic restrictions are a big hurdle for any online streamer. With a VPN, all doors are open to geo-blocked streaming services.
- Free WiFi Users: Hackers, spammers, phishers, snoopers, and malware are just some of the threats lurking over public WiFi hotspots. Such users use a VPN to secure their privacy and confidential data while using the Internet over unsecured networks.
How to secure your IP Address in a Digital World?
When it comes to securing your IP addresses, nothing works better than a VPN. Once you have subscribed to a VPN service, you have a power to change your online location. After replacing your original IP addresses with VPN servers’ IP addresses, you become anonymous straightaway.For more details read our How to Hide IP Address blog.
For users’ ease, I have compiled a list of 5 best VPN services that can change your IP addresses in no time. Thus, you can perform your desired online tasks securely from anywhere. Here is the list of VPN services that includes:
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Best Affordable VPN
$2.95 Per Month
Exclusive Discount 1 year Plan
Best Budget Service
$1.99 Per Month
2 Years Deal
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$2.99 Per Month
3 Years Plan
Best for Streaming
$8.32 Per Month
No Exclusive Offer
Best for Private Browsing
$2.75 Per Month
3 Years Deal
PureVPN has an international presence since it provides its services in 141 countries through 2000+ servers globally. Moreover, the brand offers dedicated apps for users that allow them to secure their different devices in no time.
- Provides 31 days money back guarantee
- Offers an impressive multi-login feature
- Provides internet kill switch benefit to users
- Does not offer a free trial
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service currently offering 4800+ servers in 60+ countries worldwide. Likewise, the provider also offers an eye-catching double encryption feature that secures your data to another level.
- Offers free trial benefit to users
- Provides a next level compatibility feature to subscribers
- Provides 30 days money back guarantee
- Does not offer servers in Philippines
ExpressVPN is another VPN service you can opt to protect your digital privacy. At present, the service has existence in 94 countries through 2000+ servers. Furthermore, the service provides an excellent customer support benefit that solves your VPN related queries timely.
- Provides 256-bit military grade encryption
- Supports torrenting activities of users
- Provides DNS leak protection benefit
- Offers an expensive monthly pricing plan to users
IPVanish is a US based VPN provider offering its services in 60+ services through 1000+ servers internationally. In addition, the service has an extensive list of other features that allows users to secure their privacy from anywhere.
- Offers 1000+ servers in 60+ countries
- Provides a comprehensive list of tunneling protocols
- Has an efficient customer support section for new and existing users
- Based in the US
Ivacy is a Singapore based VPN service offering 400+ servers in 100+ locations globally. The provider does have cost effective pricing plans for its users. These pricing plans enable them to protect their privacy according to their own budget.
- Supports torrenting activities of users
- Provides an OpenVPN protocol along with 256-bit military grade encryption
- Has an effective customer support benefit for users
- Does not have free trial benefit for new subscribers
What is a Private IP and why do you need a Private IP?
Different private networks such as schools, colleges, universities, workplaces and home use private IP addresses. This is how they can communicate with other devices those are connected to the identical private network.
These devices connect to the internet indirectly. They first connect to server network then they connect to the internet. If you want to surf the web anonymously, you should use private IP address to attain online anonymity.
Public vs. Private IP Addresses
A public IP address is assigned to a computer system that enables direct access over the internet. Hence, you are able to access web server, email server or any server on the internet with public IP addresses. These addresses are only assigned to a particular device worldwide.
Private IP address on the other hand allows organizations to develop their own private network. For instance, computers, smartphones and other devices available within an organization are allocated private IP addresses.
What is the difference between static IPs and dynamic IPs?
ISPs permanently assign static IP addresses to their users. Usually, server-hosting sites avail static IP feature. These addresses are not changed even if computers reboot. Similarly, ISPs assign IP addresses to their users dynamically.
Therefore, you may not attain the same IP address when you reboot your devices. however, dynamic IP addresses are not pricey as compared to static IP addresses.
What are the Differences between Shared IP and Dedicated IP?
When you start using a VPN service to secure your privacy, you will come across shared IP and dedicated IP address. What’s the difference between the two?
Shared IP is when you share an address among thousands of users. On the other hand, a dedicated IP is a unique IP address that is assigned exclusively to you. Both IP’s have their positives and negatives. If you’re looking for ultimate privacy, then a shared IP address is very useful. This is because multiple users are using shared IP at same time.
But, if you are looking for an IP address that is under your control and is not being used by others, then a dedicated IP should suffice. With a Dedicated IP address, you can access streaming services that notoriously block VPN users. That said, the final choice between dedicated and shared IP depends on your usage.
Interestingly, various ISPs select IPv4 to allocate IP addresses to their users. Furthermore, IPv4 addresses include four numbers that vary from 0 to 255 based on 32 binary digits and separated by dots. Conversely, IPv6 addresses contain eight segments detached by colons and are based on 128 binary digits.
You should know about different IP address tools that provide additional information related to proxies, IP addresses and other functionalities. Here is the list of IP address tools that includes:
- IP blacklist tool helps you in identifying a certain IP address that is available in any anti-spam databases
- DNS lookup discloses website URL’s IP address
- Mac address lookup aids in recognizing manufacturer of network device card
- WebRTC test identifies browser leaks that may unveil users’ IP addresses
- Proxy check provides details about proxies locations and statuses
- Speed test informs you about the speed of internet connection
You can find the IP address of your computer after pressing Windows button. Once you have pressed Windows button, write CMD and hit enter. You should write ipconfig and press enter. This way, you can find your IP address next to “IPv4 Address”.
The task of identifying a gateway IP address is simple. Here is how you can do:
- Click start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
- When you have opened the command prompt, write the following command: ipconfig | findstr /I “Gateway”
- Copy and paste the above command in the command prompt by right clicking in command prompt and choose paste
- You will be able to see default gateway IP address
Through what is my IP widget tool, you can disclose a visitors’ IP information on your website
You can explore your IP address on your phone after following below mentioned steps:
- Choose Apps on main screen, select settings then choose “Wireless & networks” again
- Select “select the network you are connected through Wi-Fi networks”
- You can find out IP address along with other network information
You can find your IP address for your Wi-Fi on Windows devices through following steps:
- Click start button given at the lower left side of your system
- Click search box and write CMD and press enter
- Write ipconfig in the popup command Window and hit enter
- You can find your computer IP address that is available next to IPv4 or IPv6 address
- Note down the number sequence accessible next to ‘default gateway,’ which is your Wi-Fi IP address
You just have to subscribe to a VPN service of your choice. After subscribing, download the app on your device. This way, you can connect to your preferred location and change your IP addresses instantly.
I hope you would comprehend the notion “What is my IP” through my detailed guide. Once you have gone through my guide, you can hide your IP addresses to safeguard your online privacy stress-free. Moreover, you can get answers related to your queries like “what is my IP location” and others easily.
Feel free to share your viewpoints in comments section below.
- Your internet traffic is encrypted
- You become anonymous over the internet
- Confidential data is safe from cyber criminals
- You can access geo-restricted websites & streaming services
- Easily Bypass internet censorship using a VPN
- Get travel deals at low prices by changing your virtual location
- Secure multiple devices at the same time
- Your privacy is exposed to cyber threats
- You are no longer anonymous as your real location is visible
- Your personal & confidential information is at significant risk
- ISPs & surveillance agencies can eavesdrop on your internet activities
- You cannot access block or censored websites
1. Become Anonymous Over the Web
Have you ever had a feeling that someone might be watching all your moves over the internet? Your internet service provider (ISP) can monitor all your browsing history, keep logs of your downloads and other activities that you perform over the web. Similarly, blanket surveillances conducted by governments store metadata about internet users.
This is why you need a VPN to become anonymous. It scrambles all your data through encryption and hides your true location by cloaking your IP address, not allowing anyone to trace your digital footprints. And, if you’re unsure about IP leakages, then using what’s my IP address, you can see if you’ve adopted the address provided by the VPN service.
2. Say Goodbye to Internet Censorship & Geo-blocks
Do you enjoy binge-watching your favorite TV shows or like to stay connected with your loved ones through social media? Some governments restricted the access to popular websites such as Facebook, and Twitter through internet censorship.
Likewise, many streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify are geo-blocked. A VPN gets you out of this issue through its global server spread. Bypass internet censorship and geo-restrictions by connecting to your desired VPN server location and enjoy unlimited internet accessibility from anywhere.
3. Save Money on Travel Deals & Pay-Per-Views
Did you know that you might be paying a higher price for your travel deals or pay-per-views because of your location? Some websites charge consumers based on their locations.
This price difference is evident when booking airfares, hotel reservations, or purchasing pay-per-views from certain regions. To get the best deals at low prices, a VPN lets you change your virtual location and explore amazing deals at discounted prices.
4. Encrypt Your Internet Traffic
If you enjoy using free public WiFi at a local coffee shop, then you should know that your personal information is at great risk. Unsecured internet hotspots are a haven for hackers. A VPN is your best defense against such cyber threats.
It encrypts all that data sent over the internet and tunnels it through secure protocols while stopping hackers from accessing your credit card information, retrieving sensitive documents, and other confidential data.
5. Broaden Your VPN Coverage
Are you sure that you’re protected on all your devices? It is imperative that your privacy remains secure at all times. This means expanding your VPN coverage and protecting each and every one of your gadgets. Download exclusive VPN apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android devices.
Some VPNs are compatible with routers and allow you to safeguard all platforms. Many VPN services also offer simultaneous connections so that you can use a single account on multiple devices at same time.