Comparison: PureVPN vs VPN Gate
|Servers||500 Servers in 140 Countries||9208 Servers|
|Money Back Guarantee||7-Day||None|
|Encryption Level||256 bit||256 bit|
|Get this Offer »||Visit »|
What is VPN Gate?
VPN Gate is a freemium privacy solution and a subsidiary of SoftEtherVPN that was introduced in Japan. The VPN service was initially launched as a research project of University of Tsukuba, Japan. Eventually, VPN Gate gained massive popularity among netizens as the service kept on adding more encryption protocols and privacy features. Interestingly, VPN Gate works with randomly distributed voluntarily-run VPN servers that work under decentralized control.
Here’s a quick look into pros and drawbacks of VPN Gate below:
- Free of cost service
- Global server spread
- Offers a wide range of encryption protocols (SSL, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, MS-SSTP)
- No data caps
- No bandwidth caps
- Protection against DNS leaks and WebRTC leaks
- Lack of customer support channels
- Doubtful logging policy
VPN Gate Pricing Plans & Payment Methods
VPN Gate is a voluntary service that can be accessed by anyone from anywhere for absolutely free. That said, no subscription plans are being offered by VPN Gate at the moment. However, VPN Gate pricing plans may change in future.
VPN Gate Server List
VPN Gate offers a massive servers infrastructure consisting about 9208 public VPN relay servers that are distributed across prime regions of the world. The exact number of public VPN relay servers keeps on changing, but on average VPN Gate offers around five to eight active servers in the US. VPN Gate servers are located across the New York, Florida, Texas and more cities.
In addition, VPN Gate’s servers are also dotted across the Ukraine, China, Georgia, UK, Germany, Canada, Poland, Japan, Philippines, Brazil, Norway, India, Mexico and Thailand. You can access complete list of VPN Gate servers here. After connecting to VPN Gate, users can freely access tons of geo-restricted sites and services including Hulu, Pandora and many more with VPN Gate.
VPN Gate Protocols & Encryption
Encryption tunneling protocols play a vital role when choosing a VPN provider. In our VPN Gate review, we examined the provider and discovered that VPN Gate protocols vary from server to server. As VPN Gate servers are run by worldwide volunteers, each server can support different protocols including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec or SSL-VPN. However, we didn’t find PPTP protocol in the supported protocols. Thus, we consider it a drawback for VPN Gate to not support PPTP protocol, which is ideal for fast streaming.
Server Tests & VPN Gate Speed Performance
To evaluate performance of VPN in our VPN Gate review, we have conducted unbiased speed tests of VPN Gate using a 10MB intentionally throttled network connection. After conducting speed tests, we discovered that VPN Gate is bit slower than many competitors available in market. Below are the surprising results we achieved after testing VPN Gate:
Ookla speed test before connecting to VPN Gate:
Ookla speed test after connecting to VPN Gate US server:
After competition of speed tests, we experienced sudden speed drop and ping boost. But, amazingly we accessed Netflix US successfully with VPN Gate. However, Netflix streaming took too long with frequent buffering and interruptions. Thus, in our VPN Gate review, we consider their service to be unblocker rather than a full-fledge VPN service.
VPN Gate Customer Support
A responsive customer support system and a wide range of support channels are what users consider before choosing a VPN service. VPN Gate in this case doesn’t compete with premium VPN providers. While examining service in the VPN Gate review, we weren’t able to find any 24/7 live chat or helpline for timely customer support. But, as a free VPN service, VPN Gate offers a detailed discussion forum where users can find basic information about VPN Gate.
VPN Gate Review for Torrenting
The widely praised media sharing method Torrenting or P2P file sharing is popular among netizens around the world. However, torrenting has been declared illegal and faced a ban in majority of nations including the US, UK, India, Australia and more regions. A VPN with L2TP/IPSec is considered as a safe and perfect solution to download torrents anonymously. Interestingly, VPN Gate offers L2TP/IPSec, but is not preferred for torrenting.
As VPN Gate servers are run voluntarily by worldwide users, your online activities might get shared with ISP or copyright trolls. Thus, in VPN Gate review, we suggest users to option for a VPN service with zero-activity log policy for safe and anonymous torrenting.
VPN Gate Compatibility across Different Platforms
Fortunately, VPN Gate is available on a range of platforms. Users can freely download and install VPN Gate their smartphones, laptops and more devices. Following are the platforms that on which you can use VPN Gate hassle-free:
VPN Gate on iPhone
While making VPN Gate review, we found no official in-house client for iPhone, iPad or other iOS devices. But, iOS users can easily setup VPN Gate on their device using a simple three-step configuration process mentioned below. After connecting to VPN Gate, you will be able to access thousands of desired sites and services that were previously blocked in your country. Read on to configure VPN Gate on your iPhone:
How to Use VPN Gate on iPhone – L2TP/IPSec VPN Setup
To ease the complex VPN Gate setup, we have created this step-by-step procedure about how to use VPN Gate on iPhone, iPad and other iOS devices. Here’s how you can setup VPN Gate on your iPhone using L2TP/IPSec protocol:
Go to Settings>General>VPN>Add VPN Configuration
- Now, you will be presented with VPN configuration for a new L2TP/IPSec connection. Here, you have to enter the IP address or host name of a desired VPN Gate relay servers. You can find servers detail from list here. Then, enter “VPN” in all three fields i.e. Account, Password and Secret and proceed
- Finally, connect to VPN by tapping on the newly made VPN connection
Vpn Gate On Android
Android users can enjoy perks of using VPN Gate and access tons of geo-restricted services like Hulu, Pandora, Fox Go, Seven Network, Nine Network and more services. In addition, VPN Gate secures your online activities when you’re connected to public networks such as coffee shops, airport, educational institutions and libraries. But, like iOS, there’s no in-house client of VPN Gate for android devices. You can manually setup VPN Gate on your android device using following steps:
How To Use VPN Gate On Android
For our VPN Gate review, we have created a four-step manual VPN configuration procedure for android devices using L2TP/IPSec protocol. Here’s how to use VPN Gate on Android devices:
Go to Settings>More (Wireless & Networks)>VPN>Add VPN profile
- A new VPN connection configuration window will appear. Enter “VPN” in the name field, select L2TP/IPSec PSK in Type field. Lastly, enter the IP address or host name of a desired VPN Gate server, you can choose a server from list here.
- Scroll down and tap on “Show advanced options”. Enter “VPN” in IPSec pre-shared key field. Then, type “0.0.0.0/0” in Forwarding routes and tap on Save
- Finally, open VPN connection settings list and tap on settings of new connection. Enter “VPN” in username and password fields. Proceed by checking on Save account information and tap on connect
How to Use VPN Gate On Windows
Windows users can use VPN Gate on their laptops and desktops to get protected against prowling hackers, snoopers, identity thieves, state-surveillance and more cyber threats. In addition, unrestricted-accessibility is a valuable advantage of using VPN Gate on Windows, that allows you to unblock almost each and every website from anywhere in the world.
How To Use VPN Gate On Windows
Now if you’re wondering about how to use VPN Gate on Windows, then we have created a simple guide in this VPN Gate review that would allow you to use VPN Gate on Windows seven:
Go to Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center, and tap on Set up a new connection or network
- Now, tap on Connect to a workplace>Use my internet connection (VPN)
- You will be presented with a configuration window. Enter IP address or host name of a VPN server (choose a desired server from servers list). Make sure to check enable “Don’t connect now; just set up so I can connect later” and proceed by clicking Next
- Next, type “VPN” in the user name and password field and check mark Remember this password. Then you will be presented with a window showing The connection is ready to use, click close
- Now, go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center and tap on Change adapter settings
- Right-click on newly made VPN connection and tap on Properties
- In the Properties window, tap on Security tab. Click on dropdown menu list of Type of VPN, and select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPSec). Then click on Advanced settings and enter “VPN” in Use preshared key for authentication field
- Finally double click on the newly made VPN connection, enter VPN on both username and password fields and hit connect. Upon successful connection, enjoy accessing thousands of geo-blocked sites and services including Fox Go, HBO Now, Hulu and many more with VPN Gate on windows
VPN Gate Client Review Plug-In With SoftEther VPN Client
Windows users can also install VPN Gate using SoftEtherVPN Client, that is relatively a simpler method than manual configuration. Here’s how you can setup VPN Gate Client plug-in with Soft-ether VPN client:
- Download and install SoftEtherVPN client
- Launch SoftEtherVPN client and select VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers
- You will be able to see a list of VPN Gate public relay VPN servers along with their stats
- Choose desired VPN server and double click on it to connect
- Upon successful connection, you will be able to access tons of on-demand entertainment sites and services that were previously unblocked in your region