Japan is commonly known as a country with peculiar and vibrant cultural elements. However, what is less known about the country is the free and open cyberspace that the Japanese enjoy. Indeed, Internet censorship is minimal in Japan and freedom of expression is a basic right supported by state institutions.
Naturally then, there is an attraction in obtaining a VPN for Japanese IP and freely surf the Internet. In this article, we will review the top five VPN services for obtaining an IP address in Japan. You can also read our guide on the best VPN services to learn more about the leading services in the market.
5 Best VPNs for Japanese IP
VPN services are quickly becoming essential software for users frustrated by blocked online content and services. The ability of VPN services to allow users to surf the Internet through a different IP address is a useful feature.
Users seeking to gain access to Japan-only content and websites can use VPN tools to easily bypass geo-restrictions. However, it is important to choose the right VPN provider that offers all the features necessary to gain total access to the Internet. You can also read our article Best VPN for Japan for more information.
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 70% Off |
2 Year Deal
| 66% Off |
2 Years Plan
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 73% Off |
6 months Free
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
1. PureVPN Offers the Most Geographically Diverse Server List
PureVPN has the distinction of being the only VPN provider that covers almost the entire globe in terms of server locations. Based in Hong-Kong, PureVPN offers dedicated servers located in Japan. If you want to virtually convert your IP address to a Japanese one, you can rely on PureVPN.
PureVPN uses high-quality encryption techniques to allow tight security to user traffic. The subscription rates are also quite cheap. With the massive amount of features available at affordable subscription plans, you cannot go wrong with PureVPN. Thus, it is an excellent VPN for Japanese IP if this what you are seeking.
Pros of PureVPN
- Offers over 750 servers across 140+ countries in the world
- Follows no-logging policy
- Provides Japanese IP
- Uses strong encryption protocols such as OpenVPN
Cons of PureVPN
- Does not offer a free trial feature
For further information, read our full PureVPN review.
2. NordVPN Provides a Vast Server Network and Strong Infrastructure
NordVPN is one of the most trustworthy VPN providers in the industry. Although it does not cover as much ground over the world through its servers, it still has the largest network of servers. It offers 34 servers for Japan alone.
What’s more, NordVPN uses extremely strong encryption techniques for granting maximum protection to user traffic. It offers 30-day money-back guarantee and uses a strictly zero-logging policy. NordVPN is arguably the best VPN available in the market.
Pros of NordVPN
- Provides over 4000 servers across 60+ regions
- Offers unlimited bandwidth across all servers
- Zero-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Cons of NordVPN
- Enabling double VPN can slow down server speed
You can read our complete NordVPN review to learn more about this provider.
3. ExpressVPN Delivers the Excellent VPN Performance
ExpressVPN is the leading VPN provider that has a huge number of users across the world. It is popular for providing extremely fast servers that never suffer downtime. Stability of connection is consistently ensured by the VPN provider. Additionally, it uses military-grade encryption that securely transfers your data through a tunnel.
ExpressVPN also provides valid guarantees of no-logging of user data. This is great news for users conscious about their online privacy. However, these features do not come for cheap, as ExpressVPN is one of the most expensive VPN services in the market. If price is not an issue, then ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Japanese IP.
Pros of ExpressVPN
- Large server infrastructure present in 90+ countries
- Offers Japanese IP addresses
- Provides excellent customer support
- Offers dedicated servers for P2P networking
Cons of ExpressVPN
- It is more expensive than other VPN providers
Check out our comprehensive ExpressVPN review for an in-depth assessment of this provider.
4. PrivateVPN Is a Privacy-Friendly and Secure VPN Service
PrivateVPN is quickly rising ranks among leading VPN providers in the industry. It is a Sweden-based company that offers dedicated servers for torrenting. The company acknowledges the importance of safeguarding the privacy of users against the dangers of agencies tracking torrent users.
PrivateVPN offers a smaller list of servers. However, these servers offer high speeds round the clock and connections are considerably stable. It offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee as well. PrivateVPN performs exceedingly well whether you want to download torrents or access geo-restricted content in Japan. Thus, it is deserves a place among the list of best VPN service.
Pros of PrivateVPN
- Offers ultra-fast server speeds
- Allows up to 6 simultaneous connections using the same VPN account
- Users can avail money-back guarantee for up to 30 days
- Offers dedicated servers for torrenting
Cons of PrivateVPN
- Relatively smaller network of servers
You can read our PrivateVPN review for more information about this service’s key features.
5. Ivacy Provides State-of-the-art Features at Nominal Budget
Ivacy is one of the cheapest VPN services available. However, despite its price, it would be a mistake to underestimate the quality of this VPN provider. Ivacy offers hundreds of servers in over a hundred different locations.
It also packs all critical features that a leading VPN service should possess. Furthermore, it offers unlimited bandwidth so that you can perform streaming and torrenting without worrying about running out of data. If you cannot afford a more expensive VPN, then Ivacy should be your go-to option as the best Japanese IP VPN.
Pros of PrivateVPN
- Offers over 27 servers in more than 100 locations
- Uses 256-bit encryption
- Automatic kill switch
- Allows anonymous torrenting
Cons of PrivateVPN
- Money-back guarantee lasts for only 7 days
Read our detailed Ivacy review to find out more about this provider.
How to get a Japanese IP Address?
The above-mentioned list of VPN provider are reliable services that can be used to get a Japanese IP address. Here are the specific steps for this:
- Subscribe to one of the VPN services from the list above
- Download and install the VPN app from the provider’s website to your device
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server from Japan
- As soon as you are connected, your IP will be converted to a Japanese IP address
Choosing the Best VPN for Japanese IP
The decision to purchase a VPN service is one that needs to be based on good and comprehensive judgement. A poor VPN service can leak your sensitive information to unwanted parties, defeating the whole purpose of using a VPN in the first place.
As such, there are a number of considerations that you must keep in mind when searching for the best VPN for Japanese IP. These are highlighted below
- Server Locations: This is the primary requirement of users when selecting a VPN. If you wish to access content within a certain region, then your VPN needs to have servers in those locations. For instance, users who wish to obtain a Japanese IP address to circumvent geo-restrictions must choose a VPN having Japanese servers.
- Bandwidth Limit: It is important to be free of bandwidth limits as you can easily run out of it if you like streaming or torrenting. Therefore, make sure that your chosen VPN provider offers unlimited bandwidth.
- Encryption: The quality of encryption determines the strength of security of your data traffic. You should only choose VPN providers that use updated encryption protocols such as OpenVPN. These advanced encryption protocols are effective in nullifying security risks that pervade the cyberspace.
Obtain Complete Access to Japan-only Websites
The best advantage of a VPN is that it allows you to access websites and web-services that are only accessible from Japan. The VPN service makes it appear as if you are located in Japan (through a Japanese server). As a result, you can access Japan-only websites totally trouble-free.
Furthermore, a Japanese IP VPN would also allow you to bypass geo-restrictions not only for websites in Japan but in other locations as well. VPN services are key to unlocking the Internet to its full potential and enjoy online freedom.
Alternative Options for Getting a Japanese IP Address
VPN services offer the simplest and most reliable method of obtaining a Japanese IP address. Some of these alternatives are described below:
Proxy websites can change your IP address as it is visible to the rest of the world. However, proxies offer extremely poor speeds and often bombard user with unwanted advertisements. Moreover, it does not offer proper security nor encryption. Therefore, we do not recommend proxies as you can never be sure about your privacy and security with these services.
Tor is a free browser that provides reasonably high privacy and anonymity to your identity and traffic. It works by scrambling your data through relays in a distributed network. This prevents snoopers from tracing your data back to your location and identity. However, it often suffers from poor connection speeds which makes certain activities such as streaming almost impossible.
SmartDNS allows users to access geo-restricted streams such as Netflix US. It is a popular service that you can use to watch your favorite shows on Netflix US. Unfortunately, it does not provide encryption and is therefore an insecure service.
It is possible to access geo-blocked content in Japan and other parts of the world through different methods as described above. However, no alternative provides the simplicity, security, and speed that using a VPN for Japanese IP address offers.
Therefore, we suggest you choose a reliable VPN provider from the list above and enjoy a free Internet that Japan is known for.
Did you find this blog helpful?
Feel free to share your thoughts and feedback in the comment section below.