Virtual Private Networks are great tools for boosting user safety and privacy online. Most VPN providers offer apps for conventional devices such as mobile phones, personal computers, and tablets. But it’s not easy to find many options for securely accessing the internet on your smart TV, PlayStation, Xbox, or Roku.
What if we told you that it’s possible to secure all your network-connected devices, even those without native VPN support? All you need to do is install a VPN on your router in UK.
In this post, we will discuss the procedure to set up a VPN on your Linksys Router in UK.
Why set up a VPN on your Linksys router in UK?
You should set up a VPN on your Linksys router in UK because many VPN providers only support a limited number of devices at once, which means you have to choose which devices you want to protect with the VPN. This means that only some of your devices will be able to use VPN protection.
With a VPN installed on the router, all your devices connected to that network can be used with VPN protection and resultantly, all your devices become secure from external attacks or risks. It is an ideal solution for big households with a large number of devices to secure them all at once.
Even top-tier companies can benefit from this option to achieve advanced levels of protection. Linksys makes some of the best best VPN routers in UK and many of their devices support VPN installation. Using a Linksys router with VPN capability is a great way to secure all device connections through your internet gateway.
How to Set up a VPN on your Linksys router in UK in 2023 [Quick Guide]
Here is a quick guide that explains how to setup a VPN on your Linksys router in UK:
1. Download the ExpressVPN firmware.
Before anything else, you will have to download the firmware to your device. To do that follow these steps carefully:
- Login to your ExpressVPN account on your computer.
- Download the ExpressVPN router firmware from their website for your Linksys model.
- Click “Download Firmware.“
- Keep the download window open on your browser. It has an Activation code you will need later.
- Connect your Linksys router to the internet.
2. Connect your Linksys router to the internet
If you have already installed the ExpressVPN firmware on an existing router and completed the initial network setup, follow the firmware installation instructions in Step 3.
If you are installing the ExpressVPN firmware on a new router that has not completed the initial network setup:
- Type 192.168.1.1 in your web browser’s address bar.
- Follow the instructions to complete the network setup.
- Proceed to download the ExpressVPN firmware.
Before performing the instructions given here for Step 2, make sure to:
- Switch on your Linksys router.
- Using a modem or other existing router, connect your Linksys router to the internet.
- Now connect your device to the Linksys router (via Wi-Fi or a LAN cable).
Note: You should add the Linksys router as a secondary router to your existing network if you are connected to a different router at the moment. In the case of replacing an existing router with a Linksys router, it is best to set up the Linksys router as a secondary router before you remove the existing router.
3. Install the ExpressVPN firmware
- Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser.
- Enter your Linksys router’s password. You can insert “admin” as the default password.
- Click Sign In.
- Choose “Connectivity” from the router’s admin panel.
- Select “Choose File”.
- Pick the “ExpressVPN firmware” that you installed before.
- Click “Start”.
- Select Yes to proceed when you receive a dialogue box telling you about the firmware status and a reboot request.
- After completing the firmware installation, choose Ok to initiate a router reboot.
- Your ExpressVPN firmware has now been installed on your Linksys router.
4. Connect to the router running ExpressVPN
- Connect your device to the new VPN router through Wi-Fi or LAN cable.
- The network name may be the default Linksys router’s Wi-Fi name. It can take some time to appear on your network list.
5. Complete the setup on the router
After your device gets connected to the network:
- Scan the setup screen for the router running ExpressVPN. (If it does not appear, visit expressvpnrouter.com.)
- Select “Get Started” and follow the given instructions.
- Set your password and Wi-Fi title after the setup completes.
- That’s all! You have got an ExpressVPN set up on your Linksys router.
To learn more about the best Best VPN to set up on your Linksys router, jump ahead to our detailed analysis. To see answers to frequently asked questions, visit our FAQs.
Best VPN to set up on your Linksys router in UK – Detailed Analysis in 2023
After thoroughly analyzing multiple VPNs, here is a detailed analysis of our top pick for the best VPN to set up on your Linksys router in UK:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Setup on your Linksys Router in UK
- VPN router compatibility
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries (servers at 24 locations in the U.S.)
- 5 devices connections at once
- GB£ 5.38/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan)
- Uncrackable AES-256-bit encryption
ExpressVPN is by far the best VPN for Linksys router in UK. It supports different router types, such as Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, Asus RT, Saobi, TP-Link, and Xiaomi, making it a great choice if you want to set up a VPN on your Linksys Router in UK.
ExpressVPN offers 3000 servers in 94 countries across the globe. You can easily bypass geographical restrictions in multiple locations around the world by using this global server network.
When you install ExpressVPN on your router in UK, you can secure your entire network of devices connected to the router. You can secure all your devices via VPN on your Linksys device with just a single VPN account subscription.
ExpressVPN is easy to install on Linksys, Netgear, and Asus RT routers, while you need to manually configure Saobi, Tomato, Xiaomi, and TP-Link routers. It extends protection for devices that don’t have native VPN support. Furthermore, it lets you can connect to 5 different locations using your Linksys VPN router.
When it comes to performance, ExpressVPN servers have lightning-fast speeds. During our ExpressVPN speed tests in UK, it consistently performed exceptionally well across all locations tested. You can enjoy lag-free activities on its servers with great unblocking capabilities. You can also easily unblock Netflix with ExpressVPN in UK to explore different content libraries.
It is compatible with all major operating systems including MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux. It also has browser extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox to enjoy unrestricted and safe browsing. Other devices like PS4, routers, Kodi, Roku, Chromebook, Smart TVs, Firestick, and Android TV boxes are all supported by ExpressVPN, making it the ideal to be your companion for internet privacy and unblocking needs.
With the TrustedServer technology, your data is erased after every session, protecting your privacy. Its Threat Manager removes malware and blocks trackers. Moreover, ExpressVPN has a no-logs policy that safeguards your personal data on the Linksys router.
With ExpressVPN, you get a 2-year subscription for GB£ 5.38/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan). Comparing the prices, it is more costly than the competitors. It provides a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day ExpressVPN free trial in UK for mobile users. You can cancel your ExpressVPN in UK subscription anytime, risk-free.
For customer service, ExpressVPN brings an email service and live chat option to access 24/7. On testing the live chat and email service, we got an instant response. The team was super helpful and knowledgeable. We are highly impressed and satisfied with the service.
Find out more about this VPN in our ExpressVPN review in UK.
- Router VPN support
- Easy firmware configuration on Linksys router
- Allows 5 locations
- Complete router protection
- TrustedSever Technology
- Live customer support service
- Expensive subscription deals
FAQs: Setup a VPN on your Linksys router in UK
How to configure Linksys router for VPN in UK?
To configure Linksys router for VPN in UK:
- Open the router’s setup webpage
- Select VPN and then choose Gateway to Gateway
- Verify the proper configuration of the VPN settings. The IP address under Remote Security Group Type should match the local IP address of the router on the remote side of the VPN tunnel. As for the IP address under Remote Security Gateway Type, you must add the WAN/Internet IP address of the router on the remote side of the VPN tunnel.
- Click Summary
- Click Connect
How do I access my Linksys router?
To access your Linksys router via local connection:
- Open your web browser
- Add “192.168.1.1” as your default router IP address and hit Enter.
- Type your Router Password and press login. (If you haven’t set a new password, the default is admin)
- That’s it! You will now be able to view Linksys Smart Wi-Fi home page, and access, and set everything under the Smart Wi-Fi Tools and Router Settings.
What is the default admin login for Linksys router?
The default password for Linksys routers is admin. To ensure complete security, it is suggested to reset the password during or after you are done with the setup.
Users mostly access internet services via different routers. Local networks are generally connected with routers for convenience. Linksys routers connect an entire network of devices to the internet.
When you use online platforms, your security and privacy stand at risk. Therefore, you need to secure all connections to access the internet. Installing a VPN on a Linksys router can mask your traffic and improve security.
You can simply follow the detailed instructions given in our guide to set up a VPN on your Linksys router in UK. ExpressVPN is the industry-leading VPN provider which has VPN support for routers. It lets you easily install VPN on Linksys routers with firmware configuration.