Private Internet Access is a well-known VPN brand with customers all over the world. The service is efficient for almost all common use-cases. But is Private Internet Access good for torrenting?
Based on its privacy and security features, we believe that PIA is a capable VPN for torrenting purposes. Let’s take a look at all the factors that makes Private Internet Access a good VPN for safe torrenting and learn how to use it in this article.
You will need a PIA subscription to set up this VPN for torrenting purposes.
Does PIA Allow Torrenting?
Yes, PIA allows torrenting on its impressive network of 3,300+ servers.
You can download desired media files through torrents safely after connecting to one of PIA’s servers. The provider works well with all popular BitTorrent clients including uTorrent, qTorrent etc.
Private Internet Access Torrent Friendly Features
When you use Private Internet Access for torrenting purpose, you can attain a list of different features. These various benefits include:
- Kill Switch
- No logs policy
- SOCKS5 Proxy
When you are downloading your preferred torrent and suddenly your VPN connection drops, a kill switch can protect your identity from leaking to the world wide web. This is an excellent protective mechanism to keep you safe from accidental exposure in the event of an unforeseen connection drop.
By torrenting with Private Internet Access, you are able to secure your online privacy from other torrent users to another level.
No logs policy
PIA has a no-logging policy that ensures the protection of your personal data. Since it keeps no records of your online activities, no one online can learn what you are doing on the web as long as you are using PIA to download torrents. So, if you’ve been wondering “Is PIA good for torrenting”, the privacy-policy alone makes it worthwhile for torrents.
Torrenting with PIA can be made faster using SOCKS5 proxy. However, it is not as secure as VPN protocols which employ strong encryption techniques. SOCKS5 lacks these security guarantees but offers better speeds as a result. So, if you are experiencing speed issues with PIA’s VPN protocols, you should try using its SOCKS5 proxy. This might give you better results.
How to Use PIA for Torrenting
The easiest way to use PIA for torrenting is to simply connect to a VPN a server and then perform your torrenting through a BitTorrent client.
Nonetheless, there are two main methods with which you can deploy Private Internet Access to download torrents:
Setting up PIA VPN Client for Torrenting
1. Turn on your PIA VPN client and click on the vertical dots on the top > Settings
2. Click on Connection in the new Window and make sure you have selected AES-128 and UDP in the respective fields as shown.
3. Now click on Privacy in the left-hand menu and toggle Killswitch to Always.
4. Now connect to a PIA’s Netherlands or Switzerland server.
5. Once successfully connected, you can begin downloading your desired torrents through uTorrent.
Setup PIA SOCKS5 Proxy with uTorrent
PIA also offers SOCKS5 proxy which has some advantages and some disadvantages. For instance, it can improve your speed at the cost of encryption. So, if speed is your priority, then you might be better off using the SOCKS5 proxy.
Here’s how you can setup SOCKS5:
1. Go to Settings in PIA > Connection.
2. Now click on proxy drop-down menu and select SOCKS5.
3. Connect to Netherlands or Switzerland and start downloading torrents with good speeds.
There’s a manual method for setting SOCKS5 proxy as well which may work better than the one mentioned above, but it requires a litle more work.
PIA uTorrent Setup with SOCKS5 [Manual]
1. Log in to PIA’s website account panel.
2. Click on the Regenerate Username and Password button to get login details of SOCKS5.
3. Copy these account details and launch uTorrent.
4. Click on Options > Preferences > Connection.
5. Under Proxy Server, click on SOCKS5 and enter the following details:
[Your username and password as provided by PIA]
6. Now check all the options against the boxes as shown in the image for step#4.
That’s it! With these PIA settings for PIA, you can download torrents at good speeds while having better privacy than you would without the use of any VPN/proxy.
Private Internet Access Official Forum
Our analysis of Private Internet Access indicates that the service proactively solves the users’ torrenting related queries. It means you can find different responses of the users that suggest you may face issues while performing torrenting through PIA.
Here is the snapshot of a user who opted Private Internet Access to accomplish torrenting needs. In addition, the user’s feedback indicated that you must turn on Kill Switch feature. However, you should not select US server at any cost.
Likewise, you should not face any negative consequence if you have encrypted your internet traffic through VPN tunnel. Here is the response of one torrent user that recommends you should perform IP leaks test before conducting torrenting process.
Private Internet Access Torrenting Reddit
Surprisingly, Private Internet Access has a huge fan following on a famous interactive platform like Reddit. Here is the response of one Reddit user highlighting that a proxy service may leak the IP addresses of the user.
Moreover, Private Internet Access Kill Switch feature may not come up to the expectations of yours at times. Interestingly, you should be aware of the fact that your BitTorrent client can also disclose your original IP addresses.
Therefore, you should select those torrenting clients that do not leak your IP addresses. Here is another comment of the user indicating about a BitTorrent client that can leak the IP addresses of the users.
You can explore our guide on Reddit VPN to know about services that offer online privacy to users according to Reddit.
Private Internet Access Torrenting Twitter
Twitter is another platform like Reddit that allows you to get neutral responses about Private Internet Access torrenting feature. Here is the response of one Twitter user recommending you can use PIA for torrenting objective on a continual basis.
PIA for the occasional torrent. I also use OpenVPN on my Synology NAS for a secure connection to my home network.
— Craig Lambert (@craig_lambert) February 19, 2017
Furthermore, another Twitter user suggested that you could opt PIA to perform the task of torrenting securely.
@someofmybest Another vote for PIA, I only use it for torrent safety though.
— Alex "Maclunkey" Hardison (@euchrid) March 10, 2016
How to Choose the Best VPN for Torrenting
PIA and torrenting go hand-in-hand because of the excellent security and privacy features it offers to enable secure downloading of torrents. In general, a VPN should have the following features at the bare minimum to be considered good for torrenting:
- Logging policy: Privacy-focused logging policies that keep no information of users can keep your online activities hidden from ISPs and other authorities. This will allow you to download torrents safely without your activities getting exposed.
- Speed: The VPN you use shouldn’t slow your connection down so much so as to make downloading torrents a tedious exercise. This is why you should only go for VPNs that are known for their fast speeds.
- Encryption options: PIA offers multiple encryption levels which translate to different magnitudes of security and speed. This gives users greater control over better torrenting experience, allowing them to set a level of speed and security they are comfortable with.
- Kill switch: Features that work as failsafes in case of VPN connection failure are important because they protect you from accidental leaks. VPNs equipped with killswitch ensures that you remain safe from such accidents.
PIA is a powerful VPN for torrenting. It has a lot of servers and supports torrenting on popular BitTorrent clients. With decent speeds, good logging policy, large server network, and excellent security/proxy features, you can’t go wrong using PIA for torrents.
For more alternatives, check out our best torrent VPN blog.