If you are familiar with the VPN products, NordVPN probably needs no introduction. The provider has taken the market by a storm, securing millions of subscriptions from daily VPN users. This isn’t surprising considering the excellent privacy and security benefits that NordVPN smoothly delivers to consumers.
Although NordVPN has excellent apps for the common platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android), it also supports some routers. Setting up NordVPN on router unlocks a whole new dimension of benefits of its own by surrounding all your devices within the router’s range with a protective layer of strong VPN protocols.
In this article, I will explain how you can install NordVPN on compatible routers.
- Also, read our NordVPN Review.
Let’s get going.
Why You Should Configure NordVPN on Router
There are several reasons why having NordVPN on your router can be quite valuable. For starters, you will always be connected to the VPN as soon as you hook your devices to your router’s connection.
This means you’ll never have to remember to turn on a VPN to initiate a secure browsing/streaming/torrenting etc. session.
As a result, it is an extremely convenient approach because setting up a VPN on router is only a one-time-process. You will simply have to connect your device to the home Wi-Fi to automatically come under VPN protection. Literally that’s all you need to do.
While NordVPN is compatible with a lot of device, no VPN can support every other electronic gadget or device that industries are churning out every other day. But if your router is running NordVPN, then the question of compatibility with other devices becomes irrelevant.
All you need to give a VPN-enabled connection to whatever device you need a VPN for is to simply turn on its Wi-Fi. Since NordVPN is installed within the router itself, your device will automatically receive an internet connection that is integrated with the VPN.
Finally, having NordVPN on a router enables you to connect as many devices as you want using a single subscribed account. Although NordVPN supports 6 simultaneous logins, this limit only applies if you are using individual NordVPN apps across different platforms.
The awesome benefit of putting a VPN on your router is that it only counts as a single instance of VPN usage, so you can connect as many devices to your NordVPN connection as your router can support.
Routers Supported by NordVPN
NordVPN only supports Asus routers with stock firmware. If you want to setup NordVPN on other routers, you will first have to flash it with an open-source firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT.
Let’s see how you can install NordVPN on an Asus router.
Setting up NordVPN on ASUS
The Asus stock firmware is easy to navigate around and change settings. To setup NordVPN on Asus, follow the instructions below:
- Login to your Asus router by using the appropriate URL in your browser (usually 168.1.1)
- Enter your Asus username and password when prompted to do so
- Click on the VPN tab in the sidebar
- Select the VPN client tab and click on Add profile
- Now choose OpenVPN tab and insert the following information
a) Description: Give a name to the connection as you like
b) Username: Enter your NordVPN username
c) Password: Enter your NordVPN password
- To import .ovpn file, you first need to download these files from NordVPN’s server utility. Choose a server to find its configuration files and download
- Now import these downloaded files after clicking on “Choose file” in the dialog box shown in step 5 and click Make sure the “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” is left unchecked
- When the upload is finished, click OK
- Now click on WAN in the sidebar, select no in the Connect to DNS Server automatically, and enter the DNS server addresses as DNS 1 and DNS 2 respectively:
- Click on Apply
- Go back to the VPN client tab and click on the Activate button to initiate NordVPN on your router
- If the connection is successful, a blue tick will appear next to Connection Status
These steps will get NordVPN working for you on Asus router.
Routers Not Compatible with NordVPN
The following routers are not compatible with NordVPN:
If you want to set up NordVPN on router that includes one of these, then you will have to first flash firmware and setup DD-WRT.
NordVPN doesn’t support very many router models. Nonetheless, if you are an Asus user, then you can enjoy the outstanding convenience of running NordVPN on router and bring the security of all your devices under the fold of a VPN’s protective layers.