Does NordVPN Allow Torrenting in 2020?
How efficient is using NordVPN for Bittorrent? In this blog, we have covered all aspects of a good torrenting VPN to see if NordVPN really works with torrents or not.
NordVPN is trusted by a lot of users all around the world who have the need for unblocking purposes. When it comes to torrenting, NordVPN works perfectly well, providing users a safe way to access blocked torrents all over the world.
This article will analyze some of NordVPN’s capabilities in order to assess whether it’s a good choice for performing p2p activities.
Does NordVPN Allow Torrenting?
Yes, NordVPN works for torrenting. The provider is located in Panama, which is a country with highly privacy-oriented laws that makes it easy for users to privately perform online activities such as torrenting without fearing legal repercussions.
Moreover, NordVPN offers extra security-enhancing features such as DoubleVPN which adds even stronger layers of encryption to your web traffic, turning you invisible on the web.
Therefore, NordVPN is a highly secure VPN that is perfectly compatible with torrents.
How to Torrent Safely with NordVPN?
The NordVPN p2p enabled servers will allow you to easily download torrents safely. Here are the steps you should follow to ensure you using NordVPN correctly to safely download torrents:
- Launch NordVPN.
- In the list of servers, connect with any one under the “p2p” category.
- Once you have successfully established connection, check your IP address at https://ipleak.net/ to make sure you’ve successfully masked your real IP.
- Now, get the torrent you want through a direct or magnet link and start downloading.
You will now be able to to download p2p files with NordVPN safely.
How to Choose the best Server for Torrenting?
NordVPN offers more than 4,500 p2p enabled servers in its vast network.
With so many choices available, it can be cumbersome if not difficult to choose the most optimized P2P server based on your specific location. However, NordVPN is all about convenience and have thought this issue through.
NordVPN’s “Easy connect” option automatically connects you to the most optimized P2P server without you having to do anything. However, if you prefer manually selecting server locations you can do so by first selecting the country and then the drop down option to avail all of the offered servers.
How to Bypass Torrent Connection Blocking?
Luckily, NordVPN has a huge number of P2P serverw all around the globe that can be used for bypassing any sort of torrenting restriction.
If you prefer looking up specific P2P servers, you can filter your results in the server list option with in the NordVPN client. This way you will have the complete list of all the available P2P servers.
Setup NordVPN’s Socks5 Proxy on uTorrent
The Socks5 proxy is a network protocol, which acts as a bridge between client and servers. This way, none of your traffic can be traced back to you. Socks5 proxy is usually preferred by less privacy conscious torrent users because it is not that secure.
However, it is faster than the default protocols, so if you want to speed your up your torrents, you should try setting up SOCKS5.
To setup uTorrent with NordVPN’s Socks5 proxy, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the uTorrent client and head on over to Options and then Preferences.
2. Within the Preferences window select connection and then from the Type drop down underneath Proxy server select Socks5.
3. Now since we are using NordVPN proxy, you must enter one of their server addresses in the provided Proxy.
4. After that, you must enter the Port number, which in the case of NordVPN is You must also select all the check boxes shown in the image below.
5. Finally enter your NordVPN credentials and hit Ok.
NordVPN Torrenting Speed Analysis
NordVPN provides excellent speeds. I used a 50 Mbps connection to see its download speed when downloading a torrent. I was receiving 32.53 Mbps on average during the download, which is quite impressive.
All VPNs drop your speed somewhat. What matters is the extent of this speed reduction. In NordVPN’s case, the speed drop was 36%. So, NordVPN does slow down torrenting, but the extent of the speed drop is within reasonable limits.
Extra Features for Secure Torrenting
All reliable VPN services use security mechanisms that offers protection to the online presence of users. NordVPN stands out due to its excellent features such as the app and internet kill switch.
In addition, the provider has the advantage of being located in Panama, a country whose law respects online privacy. This means that it is far from the clutches of surveillance agencies, giving users the space to freely surf the web without being tracked.
The AES-256 encryption and features like DoubleVPN and Onion over VPN further serve to enhance your online privacy from all sorts of threats lurking around.
So, if you are located in a country with strict laws against torrenting and want to perform torrenting with a VPN, you should use NordVPN and enable all these features mentioned above for a completely secure experience.
What Else Is NordVPN Good For?
NordVPN is a well-reputed provider known for its quality in a lot more than just torrenting. Some other important benefits of NordVPN include:
- Unblocking Netflix: NordVPN has many streaming optimized servers for Netflix. Users can access geo-restricted Netflix content libraries of US, UK, Canada, Australia and more with a single click using NordVPN.
- Bypassing Chinese censorship: With NordVPN, users within China can access foreign content as explained in this guide. The obfuscated features in NordVPN’s network can be quite useful for users dealing with regional censorship against VPN usage.
- Device Compatibility: NordVPN supports a wide range of devices. Other than the common platforms of Windows, Android, Mac & iOS, it can also be set up on devices like Roku, Fire stick, Kodi, and several types of routers.
- Money-back guarantee: You can obtain a refund if you’re not happy with NordVPN by cancelling subscription within 30 days of purchase.
New users can also take advantage of NordVPN’s trial version to test out the service before committing to a long subscription period. Finally, if you’re experiencing troubles with your VPN client, some troubleshooting tips here might help.
NordVPN is a good choice as a VPN for users who regularly download torrents. It features a wide-range of privacy-boosting capabilities that can keep you effectively protected, saving your from unsavory possibilities that include receiving legal notices for copyright infringement and other privacy breaches.
For further information about this VPN, see our NordVPN review.