How to Setup NordVPN on Router in 2020
NordVPN may not support many routers but it works perfectly on ASUS. In this guide, you'll find detailed steps on how you can install NordVPN on your router and access its 5000+ servers worldwide.
If you are familiar with the VPN products, NordVPN probably needs no introduction. The provider has taken the market by a storm, securing millions of subscriptions. Although NordVPN has excellent apps for the common platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android), it can’t work with other devices like going consoles.
But that’s not going to be a problem if you set it up on a router. Not only will you then be able to use NordVPN on more devices, but you’ll also be able to enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections.
In this guide, I will be discussing how to setup NordVPN on Router in the easiest way possible. Through my guide, you’ll be effortlessly able to connect to NordVPN straight through your router. You will never have to open the app again.
So without further ado, let’s find out how to setup NordVPN on a router in 2020.
Routers Supported by NordVPN
NordVPN only supports Asus routers with stock firmware. Unfortunately, NordVPN Linksys is not compatible. If you want to setup NordVPN on other routers, you will first have to flash it with open-source firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. Here are some Asus router models that NordVPN recommends:
- Asus RT-N18U
- Asus RT-AC66U
- Asus RT-AC68U
- Asus RT-AC87U
- Asus RT-AC3200.
Now that we have gotten that out of the way, let’s check out NordVPN Asus setup. Moreover, visit here to check out more VPNs for DD-WRT routers.
How to Setup NordVPN on Router (ASUS)
The Asus stock firmware is easy to navigate around and change settings. To set up NordVPN on ASUS in a few minutes, follow the instructions below:
Step 2: Login to your Asus router by using the appropriate URL in your browser (usually 192.168.1.1)
Step 3: Enter your Asus username and password when prompted to do so
Step 4: Click on the VPN tab in the sidebar
Step 5: Select the VPN client tab and click on Add profile
Step 6: Now choose OpenVPN tab and insert the following information
- Description: Give a name to the connection as you like
- Username: Enter your NordVPN username
- Password: Enter your NordVPN password
Step 7: To import .ovpn file, you first need to download these files from NordVPN’s server utility. Choose a server to find its configuration files and download
Step 8: Now import these downloaded files after clicking on “Choose file” in the dialog box shown in step 5 and click Make sure the “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” is left unchecked
Step 9: When the upload is finished, click OK
Step 10: Now click on WAN in the sidebar, select no in the Connect to DNS Server automatically, and enter the DNS server addresses as DNS 1 and DNS 2 respectively:
Step 11: Click on Apply
Step 12: Go back to the VPN client tab and click on the Activate button to initiate NordVPN on your router
Step 13: If the connection is successful, a blue tick will appear next to Connection Status
These steps will get NordVPN working on the ASUS router. Now you’ll never have to enable NordVPN before streaming Netflix with NordVPN. But in case something goes wrong, you can check out our NordVPN not working guide.
Why You Should Configure NordVPN on Router
There are several reasons why having NordVPN on your router can be quite valuable. For one, it can be super helpful if you’re in a heavily restricted country like China where you can’t risk accidently not connecting to a VPN. By the way, NordVPN actually works in China.
Here are some of the other reasons you should know as well:
- Always Stay Connected: You will always be connected to the VPN as soon as you hook your devices to your router’s connection. This means you’ll never have to remember to turn on a VPN to initiate a secure browsing/streaming/torrenting session. Speaking of torrenting, you might find this NordVPN torrenting guide useful.
- Fast speeds: Since NordVPN proved to be super fast in our speed test, if you configure it on your router, you’re going to experience speeds like never before for streaming and everything else.
- Stream without restrictions: By configuring NordVPN on your router, you get the freedom to bypass geo-blocks without worrying about enabling your VPN every time you connect to the internet. Speaking of configuring NordVPN, you might also be interested in learning how to setup NordVPN on FireStick, Kodi, and Roku devices.
- One-time setup: Setting up a VPN on a router is only a one-time-process. You will simply have to connect your device to the home Wi-Fi to automatically come under VPN protection. Literally that’s all you need to do.
- No VPN Compatibility Issues: While NordVPN is compatible with a lot of devices, no VPN can support every other electronic gadget or device that industries are churning out every other day. But if your router is running NordVPN, then the question of compatibility with other devices becomes irrelevant.
- Works with Multiple Devices: All you need to give a VPN-enabled connection to whatever device you need a VPN for is to simply turn on its Wi-Fi. Since NordVPN is installed within the router itself, your device will automatically receive an internet connection that is integrated with the VPN. You can connect as many devices to your NordVPN connection as your router can support it. For more information on how NordVPN works, you must read our full NordVPN review.
Routers Not Compatible with NordVPN
The following routers are not compatible with NordVPN:
If you want to set up NordVPN on a router that includes one of these, then you will have to first flash firmware and setup DD-WRT.
NordVPN doesn’t support many router models. Nonetheless, if you are an Asus user, then you can enjoy the outstanding experience of running NordVPN on a router and bring the security of all your devices under the fold of a VPN’s protective layers.
This VPN will help you hide your online activity and masks your original IP address to another level. You can secure multiple devices at once and never worry about turning off or on your VPN connection.
Best of all, NordVPN is super affordable. But in case you just want to try it out or are not satisfied with it, you can always cancel your NordVPN subscription and get fully refunded.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?